Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Chevrolet AFM. [cylinder deactivation]

LG/Samsung everything in white goods.

Bryant Carrier Payne location of flame sensor, the inducer assy, and the igniter location.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SAP business software.   Totally sucks to use.
View Quote

Ahhhhh. Software Against Productivity. You don't say?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Premium price and power all while nothing is double shear along with a weak frame.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The female brain
View Quote

They are geared for something different. Allowing them to dominate or 'compete' in an arena, and be free of accountability for doing it poorly,  that functions differently than what they are geared for, is terrible policy. It leaves a field of broken and damaged everything that only gets bandaid patches and is forced to still function like it is in a peak state while everyone is forced to pretend nothing is wrong or the source of the problem comes from another source.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Fucking yes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those "zero spill" EPA gas nozzles.

Fucking yes

When Trump gets back in,  hopefully that bs will go away.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ah yes, I forgot microwave doors.  The kind where you push a button in on the unit itself, and the door pops open (like ours) are a stupid design.  All in the name of making the front perfectly flat.  Put a proper handle on the door, which will never break like the button, and prevent you from using the thing at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Microwave ovens...why are the hooks on the door and not on the unit itself ?

Nice sleeve snagging feature.

Ah yes, I forgot microwave doors.  The kind where you push a button in on the unit itself, and the door pops open (like ours) are a stupid design.  All in the name of making the front perfectly flat.  Put a proper handle on the door, which will never break like the button, and prevent you from using the thing at all.

On the subject of microwaves.... the microwave beep with no way to silence. I ended up opening the microwave and ripping out the speaker. Hoping my next one at least has the option.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had to rescue my daughter from out of a gas station parking lot because the battery in her 2010 Buick Enclave finally crapped out.  I jumped her off and because I didn't have any tools with me, followed her to the Autozone so she could have them change the battery out.

She bought the battery, opened the hood, and the guy goes, "Where's the battery?"  I look - fuse block, no battery.

Turns out, the battery is in a hole in the floor of the passenger compartment behind the passenger seat.  To get to it, you have to put the passenger seat all the way forward, the middle row seat all the way back, and unscrew a carpeted cover plate.  The hole in the floor is just barely big enough to hold the battery, so to take the cable ends loose requires stubby little open-end wrenches and the agility of a monkey.  Because the battery ends flop back in once you get the old battery out, putting the new battery in requires four hands - one to hold the positive cable out of the way, one to hold the negative cable out of the way, and two to hoist the new battery down into the hole in the floor.

Once you do all that, though, the rest of it is a piece of cake.
View Quote

Those jump packs are sweet. Get it home and deal with it. Less stress.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Current cell phones.

Nokia 5160 you could run over with a car and it would probably still work. Drop a current phone 6 inches onto a table and the now cracked screen may be usable
View Quote

I LOVED that phone! You could throw it across the street and at worst you just had to snap the outer case back on
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Chevrolet AFM. [cylinder deactivation]

LG/Samsung everything in white goods.

Bryant Carrier Payne location of flame sensor, the inducer assy, and the igniter location.
View Quote

No matter which manufacturer does their own version, it always seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Almost every Spyderco knife. Ergonomics my ass!

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#13]
The window regulators in my 2003 Yukon. Of course, just out of the 5 year warranty period, I had to replace the front driver's side regulator 4 times and the front passenger side 3 times over the course of ~18-24 months. Each time, they were replaced with actual brand new GM parts, but the stupid cable inside the regulator would get snarled up, so the window was stuck in the down position.

7 damned replacements within a span of 18-24 months. I was fortunate that the replacements were warrantied, so the shop never charged me for parts OR labor for any of the replacements after the 1st on each side, but it was pretty damned inconvenient to be out somewhere and have the window get stuck in the down position (including one time when I was out of state). After the 7th replacement, I simply locked the windows in the closed position.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Chiappa Revolvers
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The window regulators in my 2003 Yukon. Of course, just out of the 5 year warranty period, I had to replace the front driver's side regulator 4 times and the front passenger side 3 times over the course of ~18-24 months. Each time, they were replaced with actual brand new GM parts, but the stupid cable inside the regulator would get snarled up, so the window was stuck in the down position.

7 damned replacements within a span of 18-24 months. I was fortunate that the replacements were warrantied, so the shop never charged me for parts OR labor for any of the replacements after the 1st on each side, but it was pretty damned inconvenient to be out somewhere and have the window get stuck in the down position (including one time when I was out of state). After the 7th replacement, I simply locked the windows in the closed position.
View Quote

We need you in that Ford thread where nobody has ever had their power windows die!
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had to rescue my daughter from out of a gas station parking lot because the battery in her 2010 Buick Enclave finally crapped out.  I jumped her off and because I didn't have any tools with me, followed her to the Autozone so she could have them change the battery out.

She bought the battery, opened the hood, and the guy goes, "Where's the battery?"  I look - fuse block, no battery.

Turns out, the battery is in a hole in the floor of the passenger compartment behind the passenger seat.  To get to it, you have to put the passenger seat all the way forward, the middle row seat all the way back, and unscrew a carpeted cover plate.  The hole in the floor is just barely big enough to hold the battery, so to take the cable ends loose requires stubby little open-end wrenches and the agility of a monkey.  Because the battery ends flop back in once you get the old battery out, putting the new battery in requires four hands - one to hold the positive cable out of the way, one to hold the negative cable out of the way, and two to hoist the new battery down into the hole in the floor.

View Quote

My folks had a 2010 Dodge Caravan. My mom passed in 2019 and dad passed this summer. He wasn't able to drive for the past year so it just sat there. My sister got it moved out of the driveway and across the street while we were cleaning the house. When we went to move it back, the battery was completely dead.

Long story short, even though we had the fob and physical key, the door would not unlock. So we couldn't pop the hood to charge the battery. I had to snake socket extenders through the grill and disassemble the hood catch mechanism from the outside. It was a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We need you in that Ford thread where nobody has ever had their power windows die!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Must have missed that thread 'cuz I've never owned a Ford.

P.S. I must have bad luck with vehicles, because that was the 2nd vehicle I've had with power window issues. The 1st one was a 1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT. Known problem that the top plastic bracket in the regulator cracks and breaks with age. Some small companies now make an aluminum bracket to replace that plastic piece (when, not if, it cracks/breaks, it cocks the glass at an angle so it doesn't ride in the tracks properly).
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have, and it had crank windows, but it's been a few years.  

Here's the thread, good for a chuckle: Ford Marketing Selling Old-School Options
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Those were great until the head gaskets, starter or split block fail..
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Every try replacing the starter on a E90 bmw? ??
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

At least you can get your hands in to put the battery in, on the 1st gen Toyota Vans it was in a hole in the floor and you better remember to attach the plastic lift straps from the old to the new battery or you'll never get it out again save rolling the van on its side.

Every Ford built off the Focus platform (including the Transit Connect) have the battery under the cowl. A replacement is rated as 3 1/2 hours.

GM always like to but the batteries under cowl supports and the airbox.

Chrysler liked to bury the battery in the wheel well.

On air cooled beetles dont forget to put the battery cap spacer on or you might short out the terminals with someone sitting in the rear seat and start the seat padding (its Hay!) on fire. The batteries on breadloaf VW vans is tucked next to the engine and the fumes rust out that corner of the vehicle.

The battery in mid-90's Nissan Pulsars sits right behind the left pop-up headlight. The fumes from the battery eventually corrodes the light wire harness and the light stops working.

If you crash a Tesla hard enough it will explode and throw batteries everywhere.

The 11th and a half Ring of Hell is populated with designers/engineers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That new GM multipro tailgate is an abomination from what I've seen. My business neighbor already messed his up on a trailer ball.
View Quote

the new one has an intermediate position for when you have a trailer hitch on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Badger Ordnance offset optic mounts. They attach to scope mounts but are on a much lower plane than the scope. i.e. if the scope is a 1.93, the offset should 1.93, but it's not. Also stuck with 45 degree with no adjustment. Also they took forever to release.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#24]
DSArms website when they have primers during a pandemic

althought i hope they keep it its the only reason i got primers hahahaha
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Samsung refrigerator ice makers. Stone cold pieces of shit.

After playing fuck fuck games with it for months, I just ended up disabling it and bought a countertop ice maker.

Problem solved...problem staying solved.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Here's the thread, good for a chuckle: Ford Marketing Selling Old-School Options
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, thanks. Standard GD, "Stop liking what I don't like"
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Changing the Heater Core in most modern vehicles... You have to remove the dashboard completely to get to it unless they include the maintenance hatch.
View Quote

I once had a 1971 Jaguar XJ6 (happily upgraded with a built-up Corvette 350). I shit you not, the shop manual's instruction for replacing the heater core began "Using a cold chisel and a two- or three-pound sledge . . . ." The heater core was sealed in between the steel exterior firewall and the steel interior firewall. You were supposed to cut a hole in the interior firewall large enough to allow removal and replacement of the core. No instructions for what to do about the hole afterward.

Fortunately, the headers/exhaust ran directly beneath the floorboards, keeping the driver's and front passenger's foot wells at a balmy 194 degrees fahrenheit year 'round so I just took a piece of heater hose and hooked the hot water outlet directly to the return.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Something I noticed this morning...deodorant containers where you turn the knob to push the deodorant up.

Once 1/2 used they become extremely top heavy and fall over in the cabinet and it only gets more top heavy from there on out. Yet they put curved lids on them so you can't stand them upside down, which would be an easy logical fix to this annoying top heavy fall over constantly design. (like you can most modern ketchup bottles now.)
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Why is the out hole so close to her in hole?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The worst part is that those gas cans have a different thread pitch than the old good nozzles, so you can't even find just the nozzle to use on a can.

I hate them because they spill shit everywhere.
View Quote

Buy the blue water cans.

Spray paint them red.

Enjoy your pre californized gas cans.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ahhhhh. Software Against Productivity. You don't say?
View Quote
Stop All Production...at least that's what we call it around here.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Dodge truck front suspension parts. All GM vehicles. Food packaging that claims easy opening & resealing.
View Quote

Truth!

"Tear here to open"

Proceeds to attempt to tear. Two minutes later after much frustration retrieves scissors, cuts bag open and closes with a clothes pin.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

backstory?
View Quote

Modified hinged frame for a better break over angle.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

As opposed to something you might actually be able to grab, that has distinct and obvious buttons?
https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images1000x1000/1594079145_1571628.jpg
View Quote

All those crevices would be so full of Cheeto dust and lotion.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#35]
The Chrysler Sebring. Replacing the starter is beyond stupid as well as replacing the water pump..

Oil filter location on a Cavalier or a Sunfire.

My Ex-girlfriend's ex-husbands "remodeling" skills. That was 4 years of constant WTF repairs.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Almost every Spyderco knife. Ergonomics my ass!

View Quote

I was gonna mention them. How that company grew to the size it has by making knives so goofy baffles me. Ugly, weird, and almost every one I've ever put my hands on my guttural reaction is to go "ewww". They just don't fit the hand, at all.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Plausible deniability when you "miss".
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#38]
The dashboard and vehicle switches on any International truck. Holy shit, it’s like the engineer in charge of cabin design came in one day and said, “This looks like a good place for a switch/button”, and left it at that. Nothing is user friendly or intuitive in an international, or a Kenworth, for that matter, but at least Freightliner’s finally decided that being able to see the gauges or screens is important for taller drivers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The dashboard and vehicle switches on any International truck. Holy shit, it's like the engineer in charge of cabin design came in one day and said, "This looks like a good place for a switch/button", and left it at that. Nothing is user friendly or intuitive in an international, or a Kenworth, for that matter, but at least Freightliner's finally decided that being able to see the gauges or screens is important for taller drivers.
View Quote

Occasionally at my side job I'll take one of the trucks from yard A to drop off at yard B or drop off/pick one up from the shop. We have a little bit of everything in the fleet but mostly Kenworth and Freightliner. Freightliners power window switches on the center dash is pretty dumb but I really, really hate Kenworth's AC vents on the drivers side positioned perfectly to blow on your hands. Nothing like a refreshing blast of ice cold AC freezing your hands for hours at a time and there's no way to close them or redirect them to blow somewhere else less annoying.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Think anything with a gas engine and fuel tank with a fuel gage.

Why do the designers of these products feel it is necessary to come up with trendy new symbols indicating empty/full.

They are never defined in the owners manuals, and are NOT intuative in the least.  

What the eff is wrong with E for empty and F for full.

On more than one occasion I have wanted to contact the company manufacturing this stuff just to ask them the name of the designer so that I can hunt them down and beat the hell out of them.
View Quote

Can you provide an example? I honestly have never seen a car that doesn’t have an easy to read gauge or at least a line showing how much fuel you have left... My current vehicle has a digital cluster including fuel gauge and it’s easy to read. Same with the temperature...
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Occasionally at my side job I'll take one of the trucks from yard A to drop off at yard B or drop off/pick one up from the shop. We have a little bit of everything in the fleet but mostly Kenworth and Freightliner. Freightliners power window switches on the center dash is pretty dumb but I really, really hate Kenworth's AC vents on the drivers side positioned perfectly to blow on your hands. Nothing like a refreshing blast of ice cold AC freezing your hands for hours at a time and there's no way to close them or redirect them to blow somewhere else less annoying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The dashboard and vehicle switches on any International truck. Holy shit, it's like the engineer in charge of cabin design came in one day and said, "This looks like a good place for a switch/button", and left it at that. Nothing is user friendly or intuitive in an international, or a Kenworth, for that matter, but at least Freightliner's finally decided that being able to see the gauges or screens is important for taller drivers.

I haven’t seen a dash-mounted window switch in a Freightliner in years, how old are these units? The Cascadias have their controls laid out much like a car, but Volvo is the best at intuitive placement of their controls.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Those "zero spill" EPA gas nozzles.
View Quote

Instead of loosing the vapors in the can,
they spill gas and release far more vapors.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Everyone on the design and approval teams for the 2007-2013 Chevrolet truck headlights was clearly an idiot. They could argue that AFM was intended to have better results, but there is no way to claim anything other than idiocy on the headlight bulb replacement.

Ditto whoever designed/approved having a steel support bar directly in front of the in cabin air filter in 2005 era Honda Pilots.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Stop All Production...at least that's what we call it around here.
View Quote

I have heard it called Satan's Accounting Program also.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I haven't seen a dash-mounted window switch in a Freightliner in years, how old are these units? The Cascadias have their controls laid out much like a car, but Volvo is the best at intuitive placement of their controls.
View Quote

The Freightliners are business class M2's. Straight trucks or single rear axle day cabs.  

Our class 8 trucks are all Volvos.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Women.....

Get rid of vocal cords, would be perfect!
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Lol, thanks. Standard GD, "Stop liking what I don't like"
View Quote

Glad you enjoyed it!  It was educational, if nothing else.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#48]
The human spine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Another vote for basically any touch screen in a car.

Touch screens for basic functionality have no business in a car.  There's no reason I should have to navigate through multiple menus just to change the radio station or change the HVAC.  I should be able to do it by feel, without taking my eyes off the road for more than a split second.
View Quote

this, a 100 times this.  Clearly designed (and marketed) by people who don't actually drive.

also, not to freeload.

any 1970's or 1980's Alfa Romeo    I mean I can't believe no one has mentioned this.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only a problem if you don't have a long enough extension for the model being serviced
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top