Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2001 7:04:26 PM EDT
I am gonna order a Fobus Holster and a couple of double mag pouches from [url]http://www.lippman-enterprises.com[/url] .  $15.99 for each piece.  Much cheaper than the Galco stuff I currently have.  

I am leaning toward the paddle style, but would really like some feedback from anyone who has tried either the paddle or the belt style fobus goods.  Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I dumped my paddle one. The gun would not clear
the holster before the holster cleared my pants.
When I ran it was floping around like a canteen.
Stick with the leather for a holster and just
get the mag holders.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I would look at Uncle MIke's kydex holsters. They are only $20.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.  

I have been shooting a weekly informal local IPSC club match, and a bit of running is involved.  The only pistol mag pouches I have, other than a single galco, are 3 cheap nylon surplus doubles with the flaps.  Not exactly made for this purpose.  You think the fobus mag holders will do the trick if a bit of rapid movement is involved?  Do they have a set screw in which you can adjust the amount of tension applied to retaining the mags?  

Thanks man.    
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Imbro,

I just eyeballed the kydex goods, and they actually look pretty decent.  For some reason, I have always considered Uncle Mike's stuff as being inferior to other brands.  Looks like they may be breaking out of that profile.  Only problem is the older 6906 smith I have been blasting for over 10 years.  Hard to find many newer goodies for them these days.  People can say what they want about the smith autos, but I know mine is 100%.  

Be cool.

Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Fobus for my Glock 19 and one that fits all my 1911s.  They are all paddle and I like them.  They do seem a little tight at first but it really doesn't take long for them to settle in.

I have seen the ads for the Uncle Mike's in the same price range and am going to try them as soon as I can locate one.

At 15.99 you can't go wrong - they last a long time, protect against moisture, etc.

The only thing about OWB Kydex holsters is they are loud when you bump into something solid but these days people would just think it is a cell phone or pager if you don't look like a deer caught in the headlights when it happens....

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran a Fobus (For a G-23, .40), ordered DIRECT from the internet. The rivets came apart (There is ANOTHER thread on this) and it is sitting in the junk box somewhere.

I personally never had flap or pull problems, mine was a paddle. I STILL carry the double stack, double mag paddle from Fobus, for the RARE times I carry extra mags....

HANGFIRE, I am curious as to your physical build, and the firearm type..
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Fobus paddle holster for my Makarov.  If you have pull problems, just wear a belt or tighten it if you wear one.  Easy problem to fix.

Nice easy access, easy to draw, holds the gun perfectly.  I like mine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Fobus paddle holster that fits my H&K USP40 full size and compact.  I've only had it for about two weeks now but I like the way it feels.  I don't have any complaints so far.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used a Fobus paddle for IDPA.  No problems whatsoever.  I also use Fobus paddles for CCW.  How good they are for you will depend on your build.  If you're skinny and bony, there may be a chance it can slide out.  If you're big and fat, then it's doubtful it will move at all.  I had mine move some when I tried wearing it with a skinny cress belt.  Dumb idea, but I wanted to see if it would work.  Go with a wider belt, and it will hold it holster quite well.  The type of cloths you're wearing may have some affect on them as well.  The best thing to do is simply go try one out.  

As for mag pouches, I think the Uncle Mike's is a better unit.  It has a tension control screw that really works well.  It stays put, but you can still adjust it for whatever tension you want.  I think a belt type mag pouch is better than paddle.  There's alot less surface area to resist pulling out.  

To be honest, I haven't checked out the Uncle Mike's holsters yet.  I probably will try one out for my CZ-75 I just bought, because the Fobus unit is really for the Beretta 92.  It fits securely, but just seems kinda wierd.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#10]
i took the advice from this forum and glock talk and tried uncle mikes paddle. good kydex holster.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been using a Fobus paddle for my Glock and for my J-frame, and I carry just about every day, as well as do a lot of instruction work.  Mine is still going strong.  I recommend them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 1:34:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I had one for my G 21 and hated it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple of Fobus holsters and like them a lot.  You may want to put some armorall on a cloth and wipe it on the inside of the holster where the bumps are that engage the trigger guard.  This slicks up the draw quite a bit.  I leave the gun out of the holster a while after application and then wipe the bumps off with a clean towel before reinsreting the gun to make sure I don't get a slippery trigger.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Fobus to fit my 1911.  I like the holster-it's light, it is secure, and it's comfortable.  My only problem is that it is absolutely hell on the finish-especially if you use it a lot.  I gotta find something to try for my new CZ-75.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Hate the Fobus paddle for HK 45 Compact.  Went back to my most favorite -  MadDog Thunderbolt kydex.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I had one for uspsa  last year. It held together fine but was very tight and slow. I bought a Bladetech and cant think of a better holster. It is very fast, tension screw, no mar,very secure for running. You pays your monies and you takes your chances. I will gladly seel you my fobus. I will never use it again. G17
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Really appreciate all the feedback guys.  Looks like most of you either love em or have absolutely no use for them.  Gee, that sure makes for an ez decision.    Seriously though, I will probably still give the stuff a try at this price.  I am on the verge of putting together a new outfit for match shooting anyway.  Don't want to tie up a pocket full of coinage in a holster rig that I will be laying aside in the near future.  Seriously considering a P16-40 Limited to replace the smith in match shooting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Dont see past the red X.
Bladetech doesnt make a spped holster for Limited or Open class. What they make is for production class or IDPA or carry. You will not be sorry you paid around 60 bucks for it.
Para limited is a very fine pistol and a good starting platform to get into the Limited class. I went the SV route. Good luck on your future matches. I can get you some more people that have a Fobus for sale too. What are you shooting?
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dont see past the red X.
Bladetech doesnt make a spped holster for Limited or Open class. What they make is for production class or IDPA or carry. You will not be sorry you paid around 60 bucks for it.
Para limited is a very fine pistol and a good starting platform to get into the Limited class. I went the SV route. Good luck on your future matches. I can get you some more people that have a Fobus for sale too. What are you shooting?
View Quote

Rich,

Sorry for leaving ya hangin on the red x. ;^)  I cleaned up the post when it wouldn't display.  Under "Accessories" on the Blade-Tech website, they have a piece called a [b]DTL - Impact Kerambit[/b].  For some reason, the pic nor the link I posted would work.  Here is the link to their main page. [url]http://www.blade-tech.com/[/url] Not sure what this weapon is used for.

I am currently shooting a 6906 smith 9mm with factory night sights.  I know you despise the Sigmas, but I swear that my double stack compact has never malfunctioned with 115 or 124 grain ammo.  I really like the Sellier & Bellot stuff.  I bought a case of Federal M882 recently, and it works great as well.  I have a bunch of Hirtenberger 100 grain soft point +P+ set back, and the smith even runs it without a hitch.  Every week, a few guys go out on the course and end up fighting their pistols.  At least one problem with every single mag they load.  Personally, I wouldn't be the owner of a piece like that.  Not very long, anyway.

Glad to hear a thumbs up about the Para.  I'm going to start another thread about them soon.

Thanks,

Joe

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#22]
This is only my opinion,  but then thats what your asking for, right?

1- Uncle Mike's:  I had an Uncle Mike's paddle holster-   Threw it out!  I hated it and no one wanted to even take it for free.

2- Fobus: I went to my FFL looking for a good leather CCW holster for my Kimber.  I was rather pissed off when he brought out a Fobus along with an assortment of various traditional leather holsters.  I didn't want to even consider it.  Long story short...... I ended up buying it.  Then came back a week later and purchased one for every gun I own.  My brother did the same after using one of mine.

I prefer the paddle.  The belt type requires a study, wide belt.  If I'm wearing a dress belt with a suit the belt version wiggles.  Never had a problem with the paddle.  Totally comfortable.

I would suggest you take your gun to the store and try one on.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top