Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Arfcom beats its dick to the idea of a food shortage and will gladly scream “shortage” when the pampered wife can’t get her favorite ________.

And all the while everyone will keep getting fatter.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chicken, tuna, corned beef, spam, vegis
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any kind of long shelf life food that isn't all carbs?

Chicken, tuna, corned beef, spam, vegis

A lot of canned veggies are still pretty high carb, and not as nutritious as a lot of folks think.

One workaround is to grow some low-carb greens like spinach, lettuce, etc. indoors.  You can build a setup using a couple LED shop lights, a small fan, and any off the shelf timer for less than a hundred bucks, and have fresh greens through the winter - apocalypse or no.  A couple of posts about it in this thread here.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Wife and I have been together since 2006. She has played along very minimally with the idea of stocking up (I don't think she ever allowed us to have more than 3 weeks of food). But earlier this year when things starting running out she kinda got mad at me for not being more prepared food storage wise now that we have a toddler even though we sorta have the poor just like almost everybody else. Although we'll never have a bunker or be able to purify our pee for drinking purposes I do see us not being so underprepared again.

The thing that has helped is that we don't go out and just $$$ on MRE's or survival bars or that crap. We just grab a few extras of whatever it is we're restocking the pantry with and take it to the basement to be put in the rotation.

"Prep a little everyday and prep out of piece of mind not out of fear"
-Mike w/ Asymmetrical Preparedness
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
We shop for 3 weeks. We can quaratine that shit out for 6 weeks if needed . Also still have rice and beans if needed.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I run with Mormons.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not buying into this yet. Maybe you're right... but I'm not doing what I did back in early march again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t trust our governments ability or willingness to stop leftists from making life extremely difficult for Americans.

It still, and maybe more every day, seems a good idea to stack food as deep as you can afford.

I'm not buying into this yet. Maybe you're right... but I'm not doing what I did back in early march again.

If you did it right you should still be eating on March’s haul.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Franks and beans!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Controlling the food supply is probably the most effective, direct way to control human beings.

When they want us to comply with something, they will make food scarce. "Wear the mask, or no going into the grocery store." "Get the vaccine, or you can't keep your job or go to school." Eventually it will be: "Submit to the new rulers and bow down and worship them, reject your Christianity, or take a trip to the camps." The masks are evil. They are literally a tool to train people to accept slavery. If only more people could see them for what they are, and where this is all leading us...

This is why we should be self-sufficient, live in small, tightly-knit, ideologically homogeneous communities, grow our own food, raise our own animals, and generally not need the government for anything.

Self-sufficiency is freedom.
View Quote

Can you get that to fit on a bumper sticker?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I run with Mormons.
View Quote

I live in the heart of "Mormonville" and was shocked to learn how UNprepared Mormons real are!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#10]
We just naturally fell into being stocked up, not sure I would call myself a prepper.  Living in Alaska taught us to keep extra stuff on hand cause you never knew what might happen earthquakes, avalanches, blizzards, power outages, etc.

Now in OK its tornadoes, ice storms, etc.  The longest we have been trapped at home due to ice is 12 days and a major rain storm took out our bridge one year and we were stuck for several days until the county crews opened another road.

Living a few miles in the boonies just forces you to be well stocked.  I check dates on everything I buy and reach towards the back for canned goods and buy whatever has the longest expiration date.  Our bunker holds the food supply so there is no chance of fire or storm getting it.  We could easily go 6 months on what we have, longer if we ration.  Plus there is game animals and very few people around.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Besides war time or the great depression, when has food ever been scarce in the US?
View Quote

Have we ever seen a social and political environment like this?
We are sitting on a powder keg of divide and anger just waiting for the right event to set it off.
Look at history, it’s full of examples of failed dynasties and societies that were around a helluva lot longer than the US has been. I bet there were plenty of people then when things were going to shit wondering how the Hell it happened.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife and I were at Costco a few days ago, and noticed several carts with TP and water.

We didn’t know if it was confirmation bias though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As long as you're rotating stocks so you're not wasting food/money by throwing stuff away, there's no good reason not to keep an emergency stockpile.  None.  Even in relatively peaceful times.
View Quote

Exactly
What many fail to realize. It’s not like you’re wasting anything.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shredded, cooked chicken in cans (sort of like tuna). Three year shelf life, maybe longer, and it's pretty good food.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

EXACTLY.

I was in the middle of the LA Riots, the big earthquake, the fires, and the fucking stores were all open like normal.

Yeah, you’re really gonna need 200#s of beans stored up.  Fuck, people in Sarajevo probably didnt need it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Besides war time or the great depression, when has food ever been scarce in the US?

EXACTLY.

I was in the middle of the LA Riots, the big earthquake, the fires, and the fucking stores were all open like normal.

Yeah, you’re really gonna need 200#s of beans stored up.  Fuck, people in Sarajevo probably didnt need it.

We call this post normalcy bias.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Food for you, your family, and anyone who might show up whom you can't turn away. There are a lot of people I will turn away but my parents and my young local nephews and nieces aren't those people so we have stocked extra.

People will be shocked at how quickly the shelves will empty when teotwawki comes. There will be a lot of starving pilgrams out there, don't be one of them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

EXACTLY.

View Quote

I was in Sarajevo in the 1990s. None of the Bosnians who lived through the siege eats rice now. Three guesses as to why.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I live in the heart of "Mormonville" and was shocked to learn how UNprepared Mormons real are!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I run with Mormons.

Yeah I was a bit caught off guard on that too. Lots of people just assumed it was all the transplants that were unprepared for some of shortages over this past year.

Based on some of the conversations I had with folks in the neighborhood that wasn't necessarily the case.

For lots of them their food storage consisted of a couple food storage kits from the local storehouse. Those usually consist basic items like rice, beans, flour and powdered milk in 5lb cans.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Beans.

If you have to devolve to rice/bean diet, guarantee you that carb weight gain is the last problem you’re gonna have
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don’t trust our governments ability or willingness to stop leftists from making life extremely difficult for Americans.

It still, and maybe more every day, seems a good idea to stack food as deep as you can afford.
View Quote

A word to the wise is sufficient.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A lot of canned veggies are still pretty high carb, and not as nutritious as a lot of folks think.

One workaround is to grow some low-carb greens like spinach, lettuce, etc. indoors.  You can build a setup using a couple LED shop lights, a small fan, and any off the shelf timer for less than a hundred bucks, and have fresh greens through the winter - apocalypse or no.  A couple of posts about it in this thread here.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219829/both-1294409.png
View Quote

Yeah, but Walmart...
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have 60 lbs of Italian beef and 128 French Loaves if the shit hits the fan
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Always good to have extra

Also a water pump
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Beans.

If you have to devolve to rice/bean diet, guarantee you that carb weight gain is the last problem you’re gonna have
View Quote

I’ve done pretty well returning to carbs by just being active & going at least 16 hours between dinner & breakfast.

On days I don’t do much I always do a set of goblet or air squats, overhead press, pushups, pull-ups or 30-60 seconds of any other intense exercise after eating & have kept within 5lbs of my low carb weight.

If you don’t move all those carbs turn to fat. Burn ‘em up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It still, and maybe more every day, seems a good idea to  stack food as deep as you can afford.
View Quote

Wife takes care of that and is on point.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Always good to have extra

Also a water pump
View Quote

Some type of high quality filter and/or a solar still.

If you’re drinking distilled or filtered water & eating stored food it would be a good idea to also have minerals. Pink salt, baking soda & Magnesium powder will keep your electrolyte levels in good shape.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Interestingly enough the wife and I were talking about this after a trip to Costco today.

Saw no less than 10 freezers go out the door during that time. Pretty much every single cart had TP, paper towels and several cases of water. Lots of rice, beans and flour too.

Checked stock on those items as we wandered and sure enough it didn't look like there was enough to last the rest of the day.

We're pretty well stocked, but the wife agreed to spend some time down in our storage to inventory, organize and see what we can bulk up on.

Definitely planning on grabbing more rice, beans, yeast and flour.

ETA:

Our SHTF stuff is separate from our 'regular' food storage. We have a bunch of the freeze dried buckets (think Wise Company, Patriot Supply, etc.) that are strictly grab n go designated. Go bags are packed with MREs as well, we could go 30-45 days on what we have in grab n go gear depending on how far we want to stretch things.

This makes it easier to rotate stock around, since we're more apt to buy the type of stuff we'll typically use for food storage.
View Quote

Rumor has it that as soon as the election is over they are going to lock it all down again.  Especially if Biden wins.   And this lockdown will last until March-April.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I just went through my pantry the other day.  We're good for months, for the most part.  Add in the extra fridge and chest freezer, and we're good to go.

Don't forget spices!
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Tastes like chicken.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fun fact of the day: squirrels are edible.

Tastes like chicken.

Greasy...
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Rumor has it that as soon as the election is over they are going to lock it all down again.  Especially if Biden wins.   And this lockdown will last until March-April.
View Quote

Lockdown schmockdown,, rules are for suckers
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We're on the brink of war + depression.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're on the brink of war + depression.

If dipsticks are so short sighted that they cannot see the forest for the trees, let them suffer the consequences..

For years I told people to put back, food, water, ammo, tools, med, etc. To be self reliant and resourceful. A large part of this is simply being raised in the rural west, where family ranches and farms have historically fended for themselves, and communities tend to be tight knit, not really expecting much from the .gov.

Being self reliant has simply been a way of life. The mentality is completely lost on 90+% of the metro living, Subaru driving hipster crowd. If the store shelves are bare and they all of the sudden start bitching (much like this last ammo panic), I have absolutely ZERO empathy for them.  It is not like the storm clouds were not on the horizon for months and months..

ZFG.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lady Rodent says I'm paranoid for stocking up, but at some level I think she's glad I do.
View Quote

Mine said the same thing until shit got scarce during covid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I know where the zoo is.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think COVID will be the reason people are hunkering down after the election.  Regardless of who wins.  I don't see either side accepting an opposition win quietly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oh forgot about 16 cans of gas, 3 generators and 4 solar units that are portable.  

200k ammo in all calibers

Ive been prepping for a while

ETA:  10 tanks of propane
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have enough frozen pizzas, ammo, and genny fuel to last through the dark winter.
Oh forgot about 16 cans of gas, 3 generators and 4 solar units that are portable.  

200k ammo in all calibers

Ive been prepping for a while

ETA:  10 tanks of propane

You forgot your awesome fleet of 2 wheeled Stealth fighters.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Finally convinced my better half. Picked up 75# morevrice and 15# more beans today.
View Quote

Imagine needing permission from someone to spend $50
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Went to BJs today to do my normal bi monthly stock up. People are already starting to go full retard again. I arrived when they opened and by the time I was done getting my stuff the line was to the back of the store. Toilet paper about half stocked.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Went to BJs today to do my normal bi monthly stock up. People are already starting to go full retard again. I arrived when they opened and by the time I was done getting my stuff the line was to the back of the store. Toilet paper about half stocked.
View Quote

It's late in the game to be rushing the stores now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It’s a fucking trap. Don’t leave your family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like the left has set a date.

It’s a fucking trap. Don’t leave your family.

A few days ago, I told them at work that I probably won't know if I'll show up on Wednesday, or not, until Wednesday morning.  The work commute is 90 to 100 miles, round trip, with the majority of that being crossing a blue county.  

Thursday, the boss's wife got cussed out while she was checking their mailbox, because somebody that happened to be driving by was so offended by the Trump sign in the yard and Trump flag hanging by the door, that they had to stop and call her every name they could think of.  A couple days before that, the boss made a joke about needing me to come over to his house and guard it, then pulled out his phone and showed me a picture of the sign and flag.  I said "been nice knowing you" and walked off (not sure how he took my joke, but I haven't been fired, yet).
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People doing people stuff.  Show me one single hurricane or snowstorm without an accompanying news story about empty store shelves when the storm is knockin' on the door.  And these are in storm-prone areas where people have most likely been through it time and time again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah I was a bit caught off guard on that too. Lots of people just assumed it was all the transplants that were unprepared for some of shortages over this past year.

Based on some of the conversations I had with folks in the neighborhood that wasn't necessarily the case.

For lots of them their food storage consisted of a couple food storage kits from the local storehouse. Those usually consist basic items like rice, beans, flour and powdered milk in 5lb cans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I run with Mormons.

I was walking into Costco to get a prescription on Friday when the mass text alert went out limiting social gatherings again and figured I better grab a flat cart and get more stuff while I could. As far as TP and bottled water they only had what was on the ground and the storage area behind there and maybe a pallet or two in the second shelf. TP and paper towels were gone when my inlaws went on Saturday for their normal Costco run... Most of the water was gone too. LOTS of the food stuff was still well in stock. It boggles my mind that people are still going all out of TP but not food!
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And what are y'all gonna do when your food stores run out?
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you need to think beyond that.

Think of what you can grow and harvest in your yard, or even your own house/apartment. Things like alfalfa sprouts are delicious, nutritious, and can be grown indoors with only water.
Make sure you can harvest seeds from your crop, this means no hybrids, as usually hybrids seeds are infertile.

Think beyond two months, and no, its unlikely *most* of you will find a deer, or return from looking for one if a civil war or something big does happen.
View Quote

It's funny that I was told store bought watermelons are sterile too.  I then grew three generations of watermelons in my backyard from one store bought watermelon seed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

One of my best friends is a Mo, and that muthafucka is wired tight with YEARS of preps already in place, and this is from back before it was the cool thing to do.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m trying to stock up fine wine. But someone keeps drinking it as fast as I’m buying it...
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's funny that I was told store bought watermelons are sterile too.  I then grew three generations of watermelons in my backyard from one store bought watermelon seed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And what are y'all gonna do when your food stores run out?
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you need to think beyond that.

Think of what you can grow and harvest in your yard, or even your own house/apartment. Things like alfalfa sprouts are delicious, nutritious, and can be grown indoors with only water.
Make sure you can harvest seeds from your crop, this means no hybrids, as usually hybrids seeds are infertile.

Think beyond two months, and no, its unlikely *most* of you will find a deer, or return from looking for one if a civil war or something big does happen.

They're not necessarily infertile, but can't be counted on to breed true with the same characteristics of the parent plant.  Sometimes the results are acceptable, sometimes not.  Most often "not".
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Not worried, there are plenty of people around to eat. I’ll just scavenge the battleground for fresh belt feds and long pork.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Better to be prepared and have it just in case. In the end you'll rotate it out and eat it sooner or later. No loss either way.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I got my wife to stock up  before the Covid panic hit. We have used some of it cause we bought most of what we use. I can’t convince her again due to the election.
View Quote

Sell her on the point she saved money then and can again. I didn't ask. I just did it. Later they were glad I did and kids followed suit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top