BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That loft is similar to what I want put in when my 30x30  metal garage building goes up.  Is that all based on the building code spans for 2x joists?
View Quote

I do not know anything about the code, sorry. By zoning, the “living area” could not be more than 50% of the footprint, so that drove/controlled the size more than anything.

The floor is a little springy, so I’m going to do a little reinforcing of the trusses before I put the bar in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
And speaking of mezzanine, here’s some updates to catch that up to present state:

Pergo
Attachment Attached File

Fuck you, Pergo (learned a lot during the first part, got to redo it several times)
Attachment Attached File

Finally got it. Harder work than I thought it would be.Attachment Attached File

Unwrapped the furniture, and immediately my son brings his tv over. Gonna need a bigger TV. I have to do trim yet, but I’m ready to take a break for a week or so.

Attachment Attached File

I’ll try to get some better angles of the upstairs with the furniture and blank wall for future bar.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And speaking of mezzanine, here’s some updates to catch that up to present state:

Pergo
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122080/AF1CB39E-8133-418F-A7B4-7D469FDECB91_jpe-1614285.JPG

Fuck you, Pergo (learned a lot during the first part, got to redo it several times)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122080/3E4B1171-1132-4872-A874-75CB3C8E802B_jpe-1614288.JPG

Finally got it. Harder work than I thought it would be.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122080/B61A86C1-C359-4F28-8207-02C6662F8FDC_jpe-1614293.JPG
View Quote

Looking AMAZING!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sure, but I’m not cool enough to hang out with Runge yet. #carguygoals
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can we be friends?  

Sure, but I’m not cool enough to hang out with Runge yet. #carguygoals

HAHA!

Meeting him was a total fluke.  He's a cool cat.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Again, thanks to everyone for the compliments. It means a lot to me because I’m doing most of it myself. It’s not perfect, but it’s fun.

Quoted:

Looking AMAZING!!!!
View Quote

I’m pretty happy with the appearance, it’s Pergo Timbercraft, Crest Ridge Hickory. Nice randomy patterns and realistic texture. Would recommend.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember the first thread. It really is impressive!  Nice work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Doors to bathroom and utility room. I used the nice heavy solid wood 6 panel doors.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122080/9EF98059-6507-4381-96C3-27E641A40EAD_jpe-1610330.JPG
View Quote
I find it both sad and hilarious that I've looked at countless $500k+ houses in the last few months and not a single one used solid doors, yet you're using them in your garage. I hate cheap hollow core doors.

Your garage looks awesome!
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Again, thanks to everyone for the compliments. It means a lot to me because I’m doing most of it myself. It’s not perfect, but it’s fun.

I’m pretty happy with the appearance, it’s Pergo Timbercraft, Crest Ridge Hickory. Nice randomy patterns and realistic texture. Would recommend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looking AMAZING!!!!

Nice! will keep it in mind! I have a 40'x80' shop which is nice but no lift amd It's freaking hot during the summer but I have a 26'x16' area with AC so it helps come break time
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad you are still updating.

How's your heated floor working out?

What if anything would you do differently?
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump for updates
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glad you are still updating.

How's your heated floor working out?

What if anything would you do differently?
View Quote

Heated floor was good, but this will be the first full winter, so we’ll see.

Differently: I’d go smoother on the quartz floor texture. It’s great for non-slip, but it’s too texture (think 40 grit sandpaper) to clean up easily. I pretty much have to rent a floor scrubber.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bump for updates
View Quote

Thanks for the bump, I missed AlaskaFire’s questions before.

I’ll have a couple updates this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Needs BIGGER TV!  

Love it.

One day.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh yes, subbed
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Pergo
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122080/AF1CB39E-8133-418F-A7B4-7D469FDECB91_jpe-1614285.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122080/3E4B1171-1132-4872-A874-75CB3C8E802B_jpe-1614288.JPG

Finally got it. Harder work than I thought it would be.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122080/B61A86C1-C359-4F28-8207-02C6662F8FDC_jpe-1614293.JPG

Unwrapped the furniture, and immediately my son brings his tv over. Gonna need a bigger TV. I have to do trim yet, but I’m ready to take a break for a week or so.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122080/A24303AE-F594-486C-A252-2CB1437A1AEC_jpe-1614296.JPG

I’ll try to get some better angles of the upstairs with the furniture and blank wall for future bar.
View Quote

Consider a projector?

I ran in wall speaker wire and HDMI as I built my garage.    Was really nice to throw an air mattress in the back of the truck and back in for a drive in movie theater with 7.2 surround.

I ran wired CAT6 LAN and a coax for Cable TV to the house for cable internet so you can game out there too.   Was hoping to do a giant VR area with the cars removed but none of the VR stuff really impresses me game wise.

130in projected 1080 was fine, no need for 4k.

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wet bar?
View Quote

Soon, getting a bunch of appliances delivered on Friday. Still kinda working on the aesthetic, prolly gonna end up defaulting to home decor. With the sectional and tables, it doesn’t have a real strong character upstairs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Consider a projector?

I ran in wall speaker wire and HDMI as I built my garage.    Was really nice to throw an air mattress in the back of the truck and back in for a drive in movie theater with 7.2 surround.

I ran wired CAT6 LAN and a coax for Cable TV to the house for cable internet so you can game out there too.   Was hoping to do a giant VR area with the cars removed but none of the VR stuff really impresses me game wise.

130in projected 1080 was fine, no need for 4k.
https://i.imgur.com/tG97S0M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tJHHzIc.jpg

View Quote

I am. I’ve got a 120” at home, I might bring it over for a test. Only downside would be the slippery slope to Dolby 87.2 surround.

The VR concept is intriguing as hell. Would be cool to see the tech evolve to where you could set up a 12x12 boxing ring type area and just go to town.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Amazing, OP.

Do I spy a 1er in there?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Amazing, OP.

Do I spy a 1er in there?
View Quote

Thanks.

Actually twoin the one pic, neither are mine. one belongs to a friend of mine, and the one on the lift was visiting as a side-job for a mechanic friend.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Bump to keep out of archives, couple small updates inbound this weekend
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#24]
What's left to do ?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#25]
bump
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#26]
So I got the Cordoba virus and generally felt kinda lazy so haven’t done much worth updating.

I did see that NewAge was running a big Pre-Black Friday sale and finally had their Pro 3.0 sets back in stock available to order. So, I ordered. Should be here late next week with any luck.

Also getting close to pulling the trigger on ordering the wet bar from the cabinet shop.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the update OP
This is one of my favorite threads on Arf
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Beautiful garage op! Love the loft area! Nice rx7 by the way....
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Update: Still waiting for cabinets.

But hey, in the meantime, I decided to see if I could save 80 bazillion dollars in Sonos stuff and make a WiFi streamable garage music system out of crap I had laying around the house.

Exhibit 1: JVC RX-807V Dolby Pro Logic receiver, circa 1990.
It does pretty good. I actually preferred this for music over any of the Sony/Harman Kardon/Denon/Pioneer Elite stuff that have cycled through my home theaters over the years as tech evolved. I even went to far as to hunt down and buy another set of the same speakers I owned in the 90’s to see if it was the speakers that I remembered so fondly.  Nope, it was the JVC.
Attachment Attached File

Secondly: old JBL speakers. I can’t remember what model they are. Something -400’s. My son blew a tweeter out on one being a dumbass back in the day. I ordered a replacement off Ebay for $20. Bam. Fixed.Attachment Attached File

Part 3: ok, got sound, need the WiFi’s. Enter the second oldest Apple TV known to man. It’s too old to use any of the current streaming apps, but it can be Airplay device...Attachment Attached File

Chapter D: the Apple TV does optical out, but receiver is too old for optical in. Well, let’s buy one of the cheapest DAC’s that Amazon sells. $13 shipped.
Attachment Attached File

Lastly: the shit works. Sounds pretty good in here. I’ve got it sitting on my toolbox so I can plug the USB power for the DAC in. I’ll give it a permanent out of the way home when the cabinets get here, and run some speaker wire for location and some additional speakers to maximize sonic immersion. now Incan do something different with the $3000 it would have cost me to get Sonos spread around the room.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Beautiful garage op! Love the loft area! Nice rx7 by the way....
View Quote

Thanks. The RX7 is the boy’s project, I’m staying as hands off as possible.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What's left to do ?
View Quote

@colt_thompson - always gonna be something to do. Next up is to get my compressed air functional. I’ve got an overkill compressor, but we started using a little portable one while I was waiting to get it wired up, then it became less of a priority once it was.  So, now I am doing a little air plumbing as I type this.

I’m (trying to) reversing the layout of my water separator and oil coalescer so it flows right to left. Should be easy, but no, shit’s never that easy.

I also want to stiffen up the loft floor a bit before I get the wet bar installed.

Stuff, man. There’s always stuff.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Are you interviewing friends? I would like to be your friend and hang out there!

Seriously looks amazing. I was happy to “trick out” my 12x15 closet into a gun room. I am humbled
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are you interviewing friends? I would like to be your friend and hang out there!

Seriously looks amazing. I was happy to “trick out” my 12x15 closet into a gun room. I am humbled
View Quote

Application process is easy.
Required qualification: not a total douche. Minor periodic douchiness is understandable, we’re all human.
Optional qualifications: appreciation for whiskey.

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the pics OP. That's a really cool garage.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Excellent taste sir! Would sip a whiskey in that loft, no doubt.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Required qualification: not a total douche. Minor periodic douchiness is understandable, we’re all human.

View Quote

I could meet most of the qualifications, how far would I have to drive? Northern MN here, nice looking shop!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am literally full of buffalo trace as we speak. And willing to share. Pm the coordinates
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Jelly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I love the hoodrat Sonos setup. My dad has been trying to talk me into a Sonos setup but I’m cheap as hell. This looks right up my alley.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about a home brewer?

Southwest burbs here, always been curious about the garage condos. You’ve done a phenomenal job so far, looking forward to the finished product!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
After much agonizing over bathroom vanities, I decided to get all Pinteresty and make my own.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/122080/F3C8BAA8-6F4C-43C6-9DE2-2AEB4DCBA467_jpe-1610328.JPG

ETA: can’t figure out why it posted sideways.
View Quote

This is great I will have to remember this for when I finally settle down and have a place I will live in for a long time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Sweet shop.

We just bought our place and it has a decent shop that I'll start building out in the next week or so.

Looking forward to updates.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I could meet most of the qualifications, how far would I have to drive? Northern MN here, nice looking shop!
Depends if you’re Warroad north or Sauk Rapids north. West metro.
Quoted:

I am literally full of buffalo trace as we speak. And willing to share. Pm the coordinates
Pack a lunch, Georgia is a haul.
Quoted:

How about a home brewer?

Southwest burbs here, always been curious about the garage condos. You’ve done a phenomenal job so far, looking forward to the finished product!

Thanks. I’m up at the Medina location (not Chan). There’s a lot of people doing a lot of cool stuff up here, hopefully stuff gets back to normal for next spring for the second Saturday car meets and the cool kids will have their fancy shit on display.

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanks. I’m up at the Medina location (not Chan). There’s a lot of people doing a lot of cool stuff up here, hopefully stuff gets back to normal for next spring for the second Saturday car meets and the cool kids will have their fancy shit on display.

View Quote

It's all good!. Are those Saturday meets open to the public? I've got a two year old who loves "race cars" and am always looking for fun outings.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Shop compressed air system is half-added up and running. I think I mentioned earlier, but we started using a portable while Inwas waiting to get the big one wired up, then after it got wired, plumbing it kept getting pushed to the back burner.

Got my last adapter fitting, so finally have an energized hose reel, tucked under the floor joists. Kinda thinking I want to add another reel closer to the door Attachment Attached File

Yes, I immediately inflated the shit out of everything within a 50’ radius.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#46]
OP.

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's all good!. Are those Saturday meets open to the public? I've got a two year old who loves "race cars" and am always looking for fun outings.
View Quote

Yep! This summer was kinda jacked up trying to comply with Gov Timmy’s 250 person event cap, so they were selling tickets and donating the money to charity to limit. Usually the weather determines whether it’s low key or a zoo.
Medina is 2nd Saturday, Chanhassen is 4th Saturday.  They’ll start up again in April (barring late blizzard)

If you want to come check it out sometime, just drop a DM. I’m usually around on weekends.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Your shop really turned out nice. Can't wait to see it in person.
Think your neighbors will like my ratty old muscle car?
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about a home brewer?

Kinda in between, not quite warroad north, but above sauk rapids north (bemidji north, here)!

Nice shop!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Your shop really turned out nice. Can't wait to see it in person.
Think your neighbors will like my ratty old muscle car?
View Quote

Stop down any time!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top