Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Yay for good news! Kick cancer's a$$, Katie!

Chef Katie Go Fund Me - please do the needful
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Katie is doing great today! She keeps trying to help out with cooking and cleaning even though she knows she can't yet. The post-op appointment went very well. All the doppler wires and two of the drains came out.

The bleeding issue resolved itself so no follow up procedure was necessary. Much of the pain was coming from the doppler wires and the drains. Getting those out resolved a ton of issues.
View Quote

You can do this Katie!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Katie is doing great today! She keeps trying to help out with cooking and cleaning even though she knows she can't yet. The post-op appointment went very well. All the doppler wires and two of the drains came out.

The bleeding issue resolved itself so no follow up procedure was necessary. Much of the pain was coming from the doppler wires and the drains. Getting those out resolved a ton of issues.
View Quote

Quoted:
Update part deuce: Katie pooped! For the first time since the surgery.

RIP our poor toilet.
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#5]
We’re home! Bigger update later, but things are going extremely well.

Katie wanted to give a big shout out to Missy and the Esstac family for the lift recliner. She might like it more than she likes me!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We’re home! Bigger update later, but things are going extremely well.

Katie wanted to give a big shout out to Missy and the Esstac family for the lift recliner. She might like it more than she likes me!
View Quote

Glad to hear y'all are home and everything is going well!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Bump for continued good news.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a quick conversation with Katie this morning. She still sound vaguely like Minnie Mouse. She likes apples. Her chair appeared comfy, as did her robe. She is not up to date on memes, and probably doesn't know what a GameStop or Melvin is.

I envy her drug induced bliss right now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Bump .thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I lost track of this thread somehow, but just saw it again and wanted to send prayers and best wishes.

I've appreciated the updates from Kevyn and hope recovery is still going well. I think I saw Katie's name on the SE roster too, that's awesome!
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry for the lack of updates. It’s been a hectic time.

Things were overall progressing well but there have been a few complications. During recovery from the first operation a hematoma formed. That had been draining slowly but on Thursday morning the sutures holding her incision closed let go and the wound opened up. We went to the ER and the doc consulted with an oncologist who said this is a known complication and isn’t quite as scary as it seems.

Some parts of the tissue went necrotic which is why the sutures pulled out. This is due to an infection which also explains the severe nerve pain Katie has been having on that side. They switched her to a more hardcore antibiotic and a second topical treatment.

They released her that evening and we saw the oncologist on Friday morning. That doctor consulted with a local plastic surgeon as well as Katie‘a original surgeon and they all concluded that the situation was serious but non emergent. It was decided that the best course of action would be to have the original surgeon open her back up and debride the affected tissue to remove the necrotic tissue and as much of the infection as possible.

Flying isn’t an option right now so on Sunday we rented a van and drove 14 hours back to the surgery center. We arrived last night and got checked in. A few minutes ago the nurses brought her down to pre-op. I’ll post updates as I get them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Prayers sent
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sorry for the lack of updates. It's been a hectic time.

Things were overall progressing well but there have been a few complications. During recovery from the first operation a hematoma formed. That had been draining slowly but on Thursday morning the sutures holding her incision closed let go and the wound opened up. We went to the ER and the doc consulted with an oncologist who said this is a known complication and isn't quite as scary as it seems.

Some parts of the tissue went necrotic which is why the sutures pulled out. This is due to an infection which also explains the severe nerve pain Katie has been having on that side. They switched her to a more hardcore antibiotic and a second topical treatment.

They released her that evening and we saw the oncologist on Friday morning. That doctor consulted with a local plastic surgeon as well as Katie'a original surgeon and they all concluded that the situation was serious but non emergent. It was decided that the best course of action would be to have the original surgeon open her back up and debride the affected tissue to remove the necrotic tissue and as much of the infection as possible.

Flying isn't an option right now so on Sunday we rented a van and drove 14 hours back to the surgery center. We arrived last night and got checked in. A few minutes ago the nurses brought her down to pre-op. I'll post updates as I get them.
View Quote
Fuck

Make sure the surgeon gets all the necrotic tissue. Also tell Katie everything will be alright. I work in a hospital and these things happen unfortunately, but with them catching it early and with her being on a antibiotic that helps things tremendously
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Just met with the surgeon. He said the debridement went well and he got all of the problem tissue removed. He wants to do one more procedure on Wednesday to relocate some tissue that was going to be removed in phase II and use it to replace the tissue that was removed today.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#28]
How the hell did i miss this?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How the hell did i miss this?
View Quote

Hell if I know. Maybe I just bump it at the wrong time of the day for you.

Hang in there, Katie!
14 hour car ride - I'd be all stabby & stuff by the first 7!
Now keep kicking cancer's ass! :thumbs_up.gif:

(And thanks for keeping us updated!)
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just met with the surgeon. He said the debridement went well and he got all of the problem tissue removed. He wants to do one more procedure on Wednesday to relocate some tissue that was going to be removed in phase II and use it to replace the tissue that was removed today.
View Quote
TY for update.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Katie has been back in her room for several hours. She’s hungry and eating and resting now. The plan is to have her rest today and tomorrow and proceed with the next procedure on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife just went through breast cancer. It sucks. She had her reconstruction surgery in December and had to have the implants taken out in January due to an infection. Katie I'm praying for you. Fuck Cancer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Hang tough Katie, you can do this!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:39:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Katie is going in for another procedure tomorrow morning. During the operation on Monday, they debrided the infected and failed tissue and installed a wound vac and two new drains. That's been running for the last two days. Tomorrow they will be removing the vac and constructing a new flap.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the update.

Praying for you guys!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Think about you guys every day. Hopefully you get past this bump in the road soon and on the mend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Healing thoughts!
We're pulling for you!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Go get them Katie!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Katie is back in her room now resting after the surgery. I talked to the surgeon and he said everything went well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Katie is back in her room now resting after the surgery. I talked to the surgeon and he said everything went well.
View Quote
Nice!!

Give Katie a hug for me
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hoping for an easy recovery.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Katie slept well yesterday and last night. Incisions are still looking great and she's feeling better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#46]
You get to empty the drain tube bottles yet?

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You get to empty the drain tube bottles yet?

View Quote

Been doing that multiple times a day for weeks. No big deal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Been doing that multiple times a day for weeks. No big deal.
View Quote

You’re a good man. It’s painful to watch without being able to  “fix”
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Katie slept well yesterday and last night. Incisions are still looking great and she's feeling better.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Bump

Thanks for the updates!
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top