Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 25
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’m not sure what you mean by “if everything went perfectly there would be no stories to tell,” but I was referring specifically to your “outstanding storytelling” claim.

The climax of this season’s story saw our two middle aged protagonists join forces to beat up a 75 year old man.  It seemed comical when it should have been dramatic.  Personally I don’t think that qualifies as “outstanding storytelling.”  YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NO SPOILERS! How is season 3?

If you liked S1 and S2 you'll almost certainly find it at least "watchable," but I think it is easily the worst season so far.

If S1 is an A and S2 is a B+, S3 is a B.

I think they’re victims of their own success. Lots of scrutiny and people wanting to attach their names to the production. The story is solid, just not as moving and impactful as the first seasons.

Really though, they are only competing against themselves. It’s still outstanding storytelling.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/VcWnY3R6YWVtC/giphy.gif

Yeah, well. We have our preferences. If everything went perfectly there would be no stories to tell.

I’m not sure what you mean by “if everything went perfectly there would be no stories to tell,” but I was referring specifically to your “outstanding storytelling” claim.

The climax of this season’s story saw our two middle aged protagonists join forces to beat up a 75 year old man.  It seemed comical when it should have been dramatic.  Personally I don’t think that qualifies as “outstanding storytelling.”  YMMV.

The Kreese arc and all of the arcs should have ended with season 3.

The Kreese flashbacks should have been nothing more than him getting recruited to play karate, winning tournaments, getting discharged without ever seeing action. It would make a helluva lot more sense for the character. The Vietnam scenes were comically bad.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Haha, good point. Didn't register while watching I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shue is pushing 60.  Mrs. LaRusso is pushing 40.

Haha, good point. Didn't register while watching I guess.

That was impressive. Not many actresses could be brought back to play a part from 40 year prior and be able to pull off a viable love triangle / interest against gals 20 years younger.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone else notice that Daniel's son is now skinny?  He only had one brief scene.  Why are they writing out the people who lost weight?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The writers didn't know what to do with the character so they wrote her off the show.  They said she moved away after the "karate gang war" (or whatever).

Apparently the actress lost a lot of weight too.
Anyone else notice that Daniel's son is now skinny?  He only had one brief scene.  Why are they writing out the people who lost weight?  

And where was he in the last episode? Wouldn't he have been at home?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Kreese flashbacks should have been nothing more than him getting recruited to play karate, winning tournaments, getting discharged without ever seeing action. It would make a helluva lot more sense for the character. The Vietnam scenes were comically bad.

View Quote

100% concur
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With the success of Cobra Kai I wonder if they have plans to do a new series with any other 80s nostalgic movies? I was trying to think of a movie you could do this with but am drawing a blank.......it would need to be iconic like KK but also be able to bring back the old cast. Maybe Ferris Bueller?
View Quote

I was talking about this very thing recently. I bet there’s a whole lot of one-dimensional 80s characters that could benefit from this treatment - intelligent stories given to characters that had zero development in the movies they were in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With the success of Cobra Kai I wonder if they have plans to do a new series with any other 80s nostalgic movies? I was trying to think of a movie you could do this with but am drawing a blank.......it would need to be iconic like KK but also be able to bring back the old cast. Maybe Ferris Bueller?
View Quote
From Jon Hurwitz mouth
https://mobile.twitter.com/jonhurwitz/status/1259363185879990273
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So few good shows for me, honestly.

You're spot on with GOT, and I did the same thing. Well, might as well finish it I guess. Last season was ..... well, I'm sure you know. The rest all just run together. There's probably over 500 TV shows now, I'm about done with it all.

I literally just cancelled - YouTube TV, Netlflix and Hulu last night. Kept Prime for shipping and got some jail broken Fire stick thing someone gave me that works pretty well, fuck it.
View Quote

Thanks you just reminded me, Mandalorian  is over I need to cancel Disney tonight now that Verizon isn’t picking up the tab before the billing cycle starts next week
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cobra Kai has a little magic to it that goes beyond nostalgia.  I think it is that William Zabka is a charismatic actor that fits perfectly into the role. Regardless of the fact that he was in the original KK another actor probably could not have pulled it off.

Nostalgia by itself won't do it.  There needs to be something else and CK has it.    
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cobra Kai has a little magic to it that goes beyond nostalgia.  I think it is that William Zabka is a charismatic actor that fits perfectly into the role. Regardless of the fact that he was in the original KK another actor probably could not have pulled it off.

Nostalgia by itself won't do it.  There needs to be something else and CK has it.    
View Quote

I agree with this 100%.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]
What is this "after party" you guys are talking about?  I can't find it on Netflix.  Is it the one that starts with David Spade at a vending machine?

ETA:  Found it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Season 1 > Season 3 > Season 2

the Kreese Vietnam flashbacks were ridiculous from a actual historical perspective but from a "hollywood" version of history kind of cool

I liked the how the Ali storyline was handled, it brought to mind a Gordon Lightfoot lyric "A movie queen to play the scene, Of bringing all the good things out in me"

Demitri was actually halfway likeable this season

I'll watch season 4 whenever it comes out
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Demitri was actually halfway likeable this season.
View Quote

I spent the interim between 2 and 3 hoping that Hawk would beat the crap out of Demetri.
I felt kinda bad when he actually did.

Kinda.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The writers didn't know what to do with the character so they wrote her off the show.  They said she moved away after the "karate gang war" (or whatever).

Apparently the actress lost a lot of weight too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#14]
@CarmelBytheSea

Thanks for all the extra input. Kinda soothes the wait for S4.  Hope all goes well for you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The creators have said they’ve mapped out 6 seasons.
View Quote

Freaking awesome if they did. Taken over as my favorite show.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:12:44 AM EDT
[#16]
During the home invasion was anyone else kinda hoping there was going to be a critical moment in the fight and then in strolls Robbie like Anakin marching into the Jedi temple?

The Miyagi-Do kids think he's there to help them and then...

I mean, yeah, it probably would have been too soon for Robbie to go full dark side, but it could have made for a cool scene.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:47:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was talking about this very thing recently. I bet there’s a whole lot of one-dimensional 80s characters that could benefit from this treatment - intelligent stories given to characters that had zero development in the movies they were in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already did the Rocky/Creed/Drago thing.  And that’s digging past the 80s into the mid 70s for its start.

Die Hard and Lethal Weapon went well on past anything to work with now, and the Alien, Terminator, and Predator franchises were buggered into the ground.

I would rather have seen Mel Gibson as a 60 year old Max having to take a security force of road warriors he brought up to protect the little civilization he started with the kids than what we got with Fury Road.

Off the top of my head I’m not sure what’s left.

Bring back Jason Gedrick and Louis Gosser jr. in some kind of Iron Eagle sequel where Doug Masters Jr. is shot down and captured and they get some outdated aircraft and go spring him?

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bring back Jason Gedrick and Louis Gosser jr. in some kind of Iron Eagle sequel where Doug Masters Jr. is shot down and captured and they get some outdated aircraft and go spring him?

View Quote

I’m pretty sure they already did that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They already did the Rocky/Creed/Drago thing.  And that’s digging past the 80s into the mid 70s for its start.

Die Hard and Lethal Weapon went well on past anything to work with now, and the Alien, Terminator, and Predator franchises were buggered into the ground.

I would rather have seen Mel Gibson as a 60 year old Max having to take a security force of road warriors he brought up to protect the little civilization he started with the kids than what we got with Fury Road.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of other properties ... I specifically was thinking of Ivan Drago from the Rocky franchise though. A completely one dimensional construct that could have some very interesting stories if they do it right.

As much as I love them, 80s movies are rife with one dimensional major characters, both good and bad. How about a show surrounding the events of The Last Starfighter? Some motivation for Sho’Nuff from The Last Dragon? Biff Tannen? Roy Batty? Khaaaaaaaannnn?

Edit: before anyone says “I have no interest in those properties...” remember, at one point Karate Kid was just 3 movies (1.5 of them beloved) from the 80s too. a rich story to tell and Zabka absolutely crushing the role made us fans again. There is opportunity here. And the above is by no means a complete list, I’ve just been itching for a Last Starfighter update/expansion pretty much since then. I love that movie, warts and all.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Just watched the last two episodes last night.

My god those Vietnam scenes were ridiculous, even for Hollywood standards.

Elizabeth Shue was a treat.  If I was Johnny I would dump the Hispanic chick for her in a heartbeat.

The fight scene was contrived as hell.

However, all in all I like the season.  Very enjoyable story.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#21]
We turned Netflix back on just for it, binge watched over the weekend. I agree on the Vietnam scenes, it was not needed or at least not done well. I still feel zero for d-bag though he did somehow take care of uber d-bag trying to corner the girl into sex for rent. I also don't know how Johnny raised the money after step dad turned him down, I am assuming he finally got pawn dude to buy whatever that thing was he took. Over all I love this show, seems like they have disagreeing or different writers but it is still quirky and full of 80's stuff and it is good fun away from a mad mad world. The part I do disagree with others is he did the right thing by not sleeping with Ali and returning to the neighbor lady. He has had enough booty calls and needs a good woman to stick around.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shue is still a GILF
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Shue is still a GILF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shue is still a GILF

60?? Damn, she keeping it TIGHT!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Edit: before anyone says “I have no interest in those properties...” remember, at one point Karate Kid was just 3 movies (1.5 of them beloved) from the 80s too. a rich story to tell and Zabka absolutely crushing the role made us fans again. There is opportunity here. And the above is by no means a complete list, I’ve just been itching for a Last Starfighter update/expansion pretty much since then. I love that movie, warts and all.
View Quote

I never liked KK or Ralf Maccio. I remember taking my GF to see it in the theater. I actually walked out 20 minutes in and hung with some buddies at the arcade instead. She was pissed.

I only saw bits and pieces of 2 & 3 over the years as well.

Started watching this and love it. I'm sure it is mainly for the '80s nostalgia and the fact that I can relate to Lawrence in so many ways.

Hell, I might even check out the movies now.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:09:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hell, I might even check out the movies now.

View Quote

They’re available on Amazon Prime for free even without a subscribtion (it has ads though).
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They’re available on Amazon Prime for free even without a subscribtion (it has ads though).
View Quote

Thanks.

Episode 5 with Chozen has me wanting to watch KK2 now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shue is still a GILF

close,  57
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already brought Doug back in Iron Eagle 4, and he used a shotgun to steal an F16.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NO SPOILERS! How is season 3?

If you liked S1 and S2 you'll almost certainly find it at least "watchable," but I think it is easily the worst season so far.

If S1 is an A and S2 is a B+, S3 is a B.

I think they’re victims of their own success. Lots of scrutiny and people wanting to attach their names to the production. The story is solid, just not as moving and impactful as the first seasons.

Really though, they are only competing against themselves. It’s still outstanding storytelling.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/VcWnY3R6YWVtC/giphy.gif

Yeah, well. We have our preferences. If everything went perfectly there would be no stories to tell.

I thought the Vietnam flashbacks were cool in a vacuum but agree it would've made more sense for Kreese to be a fraud/LARPer (maybe did serve but was a fobbit or possibly didn't even deploy to Vietnam at all). Would also make sense with the scenes early in season 2 when he was bullshitting about PMC stuff more recently. Silver is so loyal to him not because of wartime heroics but maybe because Silver was doing something sketchy like dealing drugs or contraband when they were in, Kreese found out about it and didn't rat him out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Johnny is an idiot.

Carmen is a 7.5.  She is also poor.

Ali is a 10 for her age.  She is also well to do.

By the way, I never watched anything other than the first KK movie.  Hardly even remember it.  Never watched the sequels.  Was the story they discussed about Daniel breaking up with Ali ever in one of the sequels?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Johnny is an idiot.

By the way, I never watched anything other than the first KK movie.  Hardly even remember it.  Never watched the sequels.  Was the story they discussed about Daniel breaking up with Ali ever in one of the sequels?  Inquiring minds want to know.

View Quote

Discussed at the beginning of #2 IIRC
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Johnny is an idiot.

View Quote

Beginning of KK2, Daniel is whining about Ali hooking up with a college dude or something, and crashing his car. KK2 is decent, but by all means do not ever watch KK3 or Next KK.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Johnny is an idiot.

View Quote

Nothing wrong with a 7.5 and Johnny isn't rich either...
Ali left him for Daniel and then left Daniel for another dude and is going through a divorce now.
Ali may have money but how long do you think she'd keep Johnny around.
Sometimes it's best to just stay with what you got.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I still enjoyed season 3, but to echo others, it didn't have the same magic.  Season 1 was just incredible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just watched the last two episodes last night.

My god those Vietnam scenes were ridiculous, even for Hollywood standards.

Elizabeth Shue was a treat.  If I was Johnny I would dump the Hispanic chick for her in a heartbeat.

The fight scene was contrived as hell.

However, all in all I like the season.  Very enjoyable story.
View Quote

Dump the 35 year old Colombiana for the pushing 60 chick?

Actually, that’s not fair.

Character wise, Johnny is like 53, Miquel’s Mom 35, Laruso just turned 54, Mrs. Laruso I’m not sure, but I think she is meant to be about 40 and not in on the 80s fest,  and I think the same for Robbie’s mom, and Ali about 53 and not her real life 57.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Breakfast Club!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Weird Science except Lisa has computer kids and plenty of naked chicks this time
No Bill Paxton so it would be missing something
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Navy Seals!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We turned Netflix back on just for it, binge watched over the weekend. I agree on the Vietnam scenes, it was not needed or at least not done well. I still feel zero for d-bag though he did somehow take care of uber d-bag trying to corner the girl into sex for rent. I also don't know how Johnny raised the money after step dad turned him down, I am assuming he finally got pawn dude to buy whatever that thing was he took. Over all I love this show, seems like they have disagreeing or different writers but it is still quirky and full of 80's stuff and it is good fun away from a mad mad world. The part I do disagree with others is he did the right thing by not sleeping with Ali and returning to the neighbor lady. He has had enough booty calls and needs a good woman to stick around.
View Quote

I agree with everyone here saying the VN scenes were cringey.  But, I do appreciate trying to set up some backstory he was a physically abused kid, lost his Mom, was a bullied teenager, was a specimen kicking ass in the Army and VN, and experienced some brutal and POW stuff before becoming a serious martial artist.

BUT...
They could have gotten some free consulting from a vet for like 30 minutes,
that would have fixed how ridiculous their version panned out, he enlisted around 66, did jump / infantry and was a LRRP, got picked up for SF Recon and  to MACV-SOG becoming a GB without the Q course, how stupid the ancient Captain was vs some 27 year old, how he got a battlefield commission after being a POW, then got his assignment and learning Karate, to the Karate Team, how  that he got RIFed  at the end of VN, like many battlefield commissions, started up Cobra Kai around 1975, was ten years into it at KK1, after KK2 and KK3, he re-enlists in the Reserves like 11th Group in that era as an NCO, scores an AGR slot for ten years, retires, but even though he’s like a SFC or MSG he gets retired at his Captain rank he held.  He spent the 15 years or so doing OGA contracts in OEF.  And aged out five or so years ago.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They already brought Doug back in Iron Eagle 4, and he used a shotgun to steal an F16.
View Quote

Holy Shit.  I know I saw IE II at the theatre, but I never even knew there was an IE 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I agree with everyone here saying the VN scenes were cringey.  But, I do appreciate trying to set up some backstory he was a physically abused kid, lost his Mom, was a bullied teenager, was a specimen kicking ass in the Army and VN, and experienced some brutal and POW stuff before becoming a serious martial artist.

BUT...
that would have fixed how ridiculous their version panned out, he enlisted around 66, did jump / infantry and was a LRRP, got picked up for SF Recon and  to MACV-SOG becoming a GB without the Q course, how stupid the ancient Captain was vs some 27 year old, how he got a battlefield commission after being a POW, then got his assignment and learning Karate, to the Karate Team, how  that he got RIFed  at the end of VN, like many battlefield commissions, started up Cobra Kai around 1975, was ten years into it at KK1, after KK2 and KK3, he re-enlists in the Reserves like 11th Group in that era as an NCO, scores an AGR slot for ten years, retires, but even though he’s like a SFC or MSG he gets retired at his Captain rank he held.  He spent the 15 years or so doing OGA contracts in OEF.  And aged out five or so years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT...

The only backstory that makes sense for his ridiculous character is that if a poser. Karate champ, sure. But, that wouldn't be enough. He can create a super '80s "Frank Dux style" persona and focus in teaching youth karate in order to find willing gullible fans.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Navy Seals!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hot girls are definitely 100% Into nerds IF they have money. Don’t fucking understand it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know what is totally unbelievable?

The hot chick hooking up with the Demetri nerd.

Hot girls are definitely 100% Into nerds IF they have money. Don’t fucking understand it

FIFY.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

FIFY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY.

About 15 years ago, I was an IT guy for a school district. I was fixing a computer in a high school math class, not really paying attention when the teacher called my name. She asked me to tell the class why having a firm understanding of math and science is a good thing.

I replied, “Those with tech degrees will earn lots of money. Those with lots of money get prettier girlfriends.”

Thankfully, everyone laughed and this was before the age when everyone is offended by everything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Just finished season 3. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but as already mentioned I don't see how they can go much past season 4.

Hope I'm wrong and they're able to keep an interesting storyline going for a few more seasons, though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

FIFY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY.

Haha you just have to be tall. The 6’4” thing is real.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

FIFY.
View Quote

Little sister has a hot as fuck friend in her 19-20 years old. She’s with the ugliest, weirdest fucking nerd ever. Dudes a straight up pussy fart. No balls and can’t do man shit. Can’t hold a job and doing film in school. Wants to be the next Spielberg...  Shits backwards now a days.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The only backstory that makes sense for his ridiculous character is that if a poser. Karate champ, sure. But, that wouldn't be enough. He can create a super '80s "Frank Dux style" persona and focus in teaching youth karate in order to find willing gullible fans.
View Quote

I’ve seen enough guys with that real background from that era train wreck enough in the 80s and later I would be kind of disappointed if he was a stolen valor guy.  I get it,  it would work, like you said.  But I really would prefer if he and Silver were just warped pricks that had been tortured POWs and had team pics like this next to piles of VC in VN.  At least I can understand that.  I can’t wrap my mind around a Frank Dux type.

Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top