Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m so confused. Are you the actor in your avatar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0Vucn7xww

ha well if you are ever out here again and see a guy on set with a geissele hat on, Give me the secret hi sign.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve never seen the Karate Kid movies. Do I need to watch them before I watch this?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I’ve never seen the Karate Kid movies. Do I need to watch them before I watch this?
View Quote

I would.  1 and 3. 2 is optional.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First 5? minutes of #2
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ha well if you are ever out here again and see a guy on set with a geissele hat on, Give me the secret hi sign.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m so confused. Are you the actor in your avatar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu0Vucn7xww

So confusing
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]
been watching this weekend, just finished S2E4.

Great job, really enjoying it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll do that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think the point is we're supposed to root for Johnny most ot the time. They write it where we're supposed to see both sides but Daniel comes off like a douche a lot of times.

View Quote

Daniel is not supposed to be a bad guy. I think what makes the series great is that neither Daniel nor Johnny are bad guys or necessarily good guys. They are shaped by their experiences and both still deal with issues from their past, shared and otherwise. Johnny is haunted by his bad situations, bad choices, and bad luck. And, despite the years that have passed, they never truly settled the score between them. The tension when Daniel sees Johnny in the dealership for the first time is palpable. Eventually, they both draw a line in the sand and neither backs down. Their relationship is complicated and the actors make us feel like we're neck deep in it as well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The you tube video that explains how Johnny is the good guy and Daniel is the aggressor is pretty funny. I'm sure some enterprising fan will take the original movies and re-edit them at some point.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Daniel is not supposed to be a bad guy. I think what makes the series great is that neither Daniel nor Johnny are bad guys or necessarily good guys. They are shaped by their experiences and both still deal with issues from their past, shared and otherwise. Johnny is haunted by his bad situations, bad choices, and bad luck. And, despite the years that have passed, they never truly settled the score between them. The tension when Daniel sees Johnny in the dealership for the first time is palpable. Eventually, they both draw a line in the sand and neither backs down. Their relationship is complicated and the actors make us feel like we're neck deep in it as well.
View Quote

They balance one another out in their best and moments.  That fits the theme of the story.

Btw, Henggler does a great job in her role as well.  Very honest and believable--even though the part is not that dynamic.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

I had a feeling. Very nice addition to the cast and it opens up all sorts of places for the story to go. To see these characters in their middle ages and what became of them has been quite fascinating.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]
The rock music is great.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’m not happy with some things but we’ll see how it goes. Season 3 shooting wrapped up filming a long time ago. I’m somewhat worried about season 4 but I don’t wanna say too much right now
View Quote

Yeah, the way things are going who knows when 4 will come out?
Normally I wouldn’t care much but rumor is 3 will end on a big cliffhanger.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like 2 might be a big part of season 3.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They balance one another out in their best and moments.  That fits the theme of the story.

Btw, Henggler does a great job in her role as well.  Very honest and believable--even though the part is not that dynamic.

View Quote

It feels like a modern parable about life. When you're young, everything seems black and white. Right and wrong are separated by a bright line. There's little ambiguity about it, per Karate Kid. As we get older, that bright line starts to fade before disappearing. One day, it's all confusing shades of gray. We see that evolution in Johnny and Daniel. They both believe they are right. Daniel is judgmental. Johnny believes he's been treated unfairly. He's paid a horrible price for his mistakes and he just wants to make things right, if that's even possible anymore. There's great chemistry between William and Ralph. They make you feel what they are experiencing. William Zabka may be the most underrated actor in Hollywood in several decades.      
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Had to do social stuff today, and pick up PC components, but now its time to get some take out and finish S2. Love the show, particularly Johnny's character.

Gender what? Is this a prank call?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I watched both seasons in a day and a half.  Liked it a lot.  I might need to get a Cobra Kai t-shirt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Good :) should be for some really interesting drama. I really like the show. Probably one of my favorite- up there with Breaking Bad. Mainly, because of seeing the movie as a ~12 year old. Amazing how they not only pulled off a squeal, but morphed it into a very watchable show.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I watched the first 2 episodes when Youtube had it for free.  I really liked the show, I just wasn't willing to pay for Youtube for one show.

So pumped that it's on Netflix.  I know what I'll be doing tonight!

I've always liked the fanfic alternate theory that Daniel was a bully from NJ.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’ll do that. Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll do that. Thanks.

Even if you only watch 1 you'll have a firm understanding of what's going on, as most of what they touch on is from that film, and everything else from the other films is usually explained.

You should watch 1 anyway, it's a damn good 80's movie.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three?

Never seen three.

Does that even have Danny?

Is that where the scenes with Krees choking Johnny come from?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The you tube video that explains how Johnny is the good guy and Daniel is the aggressor is pretty funny. I'm sure some enterprising fan will take the original movies and re-edit them at some point.
View Quote

I'm convinced that video greatly influenced the writers of this series. May have even been the genesis of the whole idea for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Three?

Never seen three.

View Quote

The choking scene is from the beginning of Karate Kid 2. The second sequel does have Daniel in it. The governing board for the tournament that Johnny appeals to in season 1 in order to reverse the life-ban against Cobra Kai mentions the name Terry Silver, a character from Karate Kid 3.

There is another movie called The Next Karate Kid. Daniel is not in that one. I don't know if anything that happened in that movie is addressed in the series. I don't think so.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The choking scene is from the beginning of Karate Kid 2. The second sequel does have Daniel in it. The governing board for the tournament that Johnny appeals to in season 1 in order to reverse the life-ban against Cobra Kai mentions the name Terry Silver, a character from Karate Kid 3.

There is another movie called The Next Karate Kid. Daniel is not in that one. I don't know if anything that happened in that movie is addressed in the series. I don't think so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three?

Never seen three.

I think I'm blurring movies from my childhood. The Next Karate Kid was what I was thinking as part three. 2 I just remember the drums and the ice, and everything in Okinawa. That, and the inexplicable lack of references to the girl from the first as Danny puts the moves on an Okinawan gal.

And that song that got played, played, and overplayed.

Glory of love.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Just watched the first episode. I’m going to see how far I can make it, lol.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Just read up in part III. I remember it, but barely. Guess I need to watch it again. I guess I was already "too old" when it came out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I liked it. Loved the flashbacks and music.

When they were both in that challenger jamming was funny as hell. You just know they had fun filming that scene
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I knew about it when it came out, but it fell off my radar.

We watched Karate Kid last week and I remembered it so we started to watch it.

Aside from being hilarious I think they did a really good job with the writing.

Johnny explaining the series of events with the flashbacks in episode 8 was a riot.
View Quote

Same here man! I heard about it from a friend like a year ago but it fell off my radar. I watched Karate Kid on Friday night because its my all time favorite movie ever! I signed on to Netflix last night and sure enough it suggested Cobra Kai, so I was like hell yeah! I watched the entire first season last nite, I'm loving it!

So funny how washed up Johnny became, he's just a guy stuck on the 80's, but I like his old school mentality about how kids these days are pussies. My wife likes it too and she was "oh my God, that guy is like so you". He even drinks banquets like me, cheers Johnny!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Just started watching it last night it's like reliving the 80s all over again
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, the Next Karate Kid doesn't have anything to do with this storyline.

I'm friends with the guy who plays Hillary Swank's boyfriend.  Conrad used to play a bit of rugby here in Florida. Good guy, but I gave him a bunch of shit for that film.  Lol.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, the Next Karate Kid doesn't have anything to do with this storyline.

I'm friends with the guy who plays Hillary Swank's boyfriend.  Conrad used to play a bit of rugby here in Florida. Good guy, but I gave him a bunch of shit for that film.  Lol.
View Quote

The series refers mostly to the first movie. The other movies don't have the Johnny-Daniel rivalry, although there are call outs in the series to things that occur during the second and third movies. It'd be interesting for Hillary Swank to appear, given she knew and trained with Mr. Miyagi.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Even if you only watch 1 you'll have a firm understanding of what's going on, as most of what they touch on is from that film, and everything else from the other films is usually explained.

View Quote

There’s a plot point in s2 that confused me since I haven’t seen KK3, but I got it figured out pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The series refers mostly to the first movie. The other movies don't have the Johnny-Daniel rivalry, although there are call outs in the series to things that occur during the second and third movies. It'd be interesting for Hillary Swank to appear, given she knew and trained with Mr. Miyagi.
View Quote

I thought she got paralyzed in a boxing match then died.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

t'd be interesting for Hillary Swank to appear, given she knew and trained with Mr. Miyagi.
View Quote

I’ve been wanting her to appear and sue Daniel for using the Miyagi-Do name since thats what she calls her own dojos on the East Coast.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#37]
great show

every story has to sides to it and 2 tellers of the tale

a wise man would take the best of both styles and form their own 3rd style - "come back tomorrow with your check book."
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There’s a plot point in s2 that confused me since I haven’t seen KK3, but I got it figured out pretty quick.
View Quote

Daniel being part of Cobra Kai? That is from 3 and I’d forgotten until my kid reminded me
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Remember hearing about this show, looks worth watching.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Always late to the party.
Started and finished the series since it hit Netflix.

Awesome stuff.

Hopefully the next season releases sooner than later.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Larusso really traded up with his current wife.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll do that. Thanks.

Don’t know how or why I never saw it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Glad to hear it
View Quote

Whats it like to work on a movie/ series. Can you say what your role is?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was also going to ask this question.

CarmelBytheSea has dropped hints about who he is but I'm too lazy to figure it out.
View Quote
This has been an ongoing question for some time, every time a KK thread pops up.  Carmel clearly is involved in Cobra Kai in some fashion and I once thought he was actually Zabka but he often posts of his military experience, which I doubt Zabka has.

I bet Carmel gets a kick out of watching people speculate.

My new guess:  Zabka's stunt double!?

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Carmel is clearly a set caterer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Whats it like to work on a movie/ series. Can you say what your role is?
View Quote
It has its moments but we have some other ARF members that work film/tv and I’m sure they’ll agree, after awhile it’s a job. Lots of times you don’t even criss paths with other people working on the same series/movie. Getting up super early or working late hours also sucks balls. Long hours, with the right cast/crew the hours aren’t as bad though. Lot of waiting around. If you get access to decent catering that’s also a plus
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This has been an ongoing question for some time, every time a KK thread pops up.  Carmel clearly is involved in Cobra Kai in some fashion and I once thought he was actually Zabka but he often posts of his military experience, which I doubt Zabka has.

I bet Carmel gets a kick out of watching people speculate.

My new guess:  Zabka's stunt double!?

View Quote

Well, my affiliation with the show appears to have come at an end. So I’ll be in the peanut gallery with everyone else
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It has its moments but we have some other ARF members that work film/tv and I’m sure they’ll agree, after awhile it’s a job. Lots of times you don’t even criss paths with other people working on the same series/movie. Getting up super early or working late hours also sucks balls. Long hours, with the right cast/crew the hours aren’t as bad though. Lot of waiting around. If you get access to decent catering that’s also a plus
View Quote

All of this.

For those asking, the industry is smaller than you think.  So, you cross paths with a bunch of people that you've worked with in the past or have just worked with someone you know well.

It is a job though, so it loses its luster pretty quickly.  Lots of waiting, but when it's time to do your job, you better not fuck up.  So, you learn to work during the time you wait.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#49]
I am in S1 ep9. I love it so far. Had the same feel as the movies.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Carmel is clearly a set caterer.
View Quote

I’d take that gig. Although we had a caterer who’s delivery vehicle broke down in Santa Barbara once and it cost him some thousands in loss.  Ouch
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top