Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2001 1:56:06 AM EDT
What is the most accurate ak type rifle you have fired or seen fired?  Why can/t they make this rifle as accurate as the ar?
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:22:23 AM EDT
[#1]
To the best of my knowledge, it seems to be the milled Bulgarian AK's like the SLR-95. From what i've heard the SLR's have hammer forged barrels as well, supposedly forged by Styer.

What makes the SLR and other Bulgarian AK's "better" is the milled receiver, it is more rigid. The quality barrel is also an important factor.

I have the SLR and was extremely suprised that it shot as well as it did. I think I need to explain a bit more. So, here it goes:

Before I bought my SLR, I had seen A few AK's and was not very impressed. At the urging of one of my friends, an AK fan, I deceided I would buy one but I wanted a synthetic stock.

As fate would have it, the SLR-95's and Slr-96's were just starting to be imported. I tried other AK's but deceided to buy this on a whim.
I got some Federal American Eagle ammo for its first firing.

Now, of the other AK's i've seen, I can't honestly say they shot as well. I had a very good group the first time out!! No, it wasn't as good as my AR...BUT it was impressive for what it was. All in the black at 100 yards. I forget what rings, but it was reasonable!

My only regret.......I should have bought several others while I had the chance. As I live in California and they're banned now.

I don't know the availability of the SLR but there is another Bulgarian AK variant the SSR-99. It is also milled and may be more readily available, look around. Global Trades/Arsenal U.S.A. is the importer/manufacturer of Bulgarian AK's as well as some others using receivers from other countries.

I'm sure there are other guys lurking around here from AK-47.net since its shut down and they could probably tell you more than I can.

Now, regarding the question about the 7.62x39mm round versus the .223/5.56 The ballistics of the .223 make it more accurate. The 7.62x39 travels at a slower speed thus the ratio of distance traveled versus bullet drop results in a curve which declines more sharply than that of a bullet traveling faster, such as the .223/5.56

I hope this answers some of your questions!
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 3:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The most accurate AK is quite simply the
pre-ban Polytech 'National Match' AK's that
were imported in the later 1980's and early
1990's.  These preban AK's had milled receivers and 20 barrels.  They were aparently given
more 'attention' during their construction and
surprisingly it seemed to work.  From accounts
of competitors they could shoot 1 MOA with
decent quality ammo.  I have not seen any for sale in a long time and they are probably very expensive...and rare.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no such thing as accurate ak type rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
ripmeyer
i will disagree with that.
my saiga conversion does very tight groups.
my russian vepr in .308 can go round for round with my standard grade m-1a.
cannot comment on the 7.62x54 svd's
gunlover. i could send you or anyone who can post on here a 3rd group from my saiga, since i cannot grasp the way to post pics.
what is it you are wanting an ak to do?
1/2 moa or just a reliable semi-auto gun?
i can do COM all day with my ak's. would i like sub moa from it? yes but realistically speaking they will not do it. all i am concerned about is that if the situation arose could i do COM as needed. after all if and when it became necessary for the judicious use of force, the last thing i would be worried about is "are my shots in tight sub-moa groups?"
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Dragunov
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Its most likely an ammo thing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Ditto Rip Meyer
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#9]
the ones that are not chambered for the 762x39
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
ditto on archoo
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#11]
gunlover: sorry did'nt respon to your second ques. no, not even close to a AR, even a guy i know had a dragunov 4-6" at 50yds. sorry ak guys, the guns do work and well but cant group worth a dam.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad this topic came up.  I am actually thinking of buying one of the Romanian SAR1's because they are so damn cheap ($329) on gunbroker.  What is the downside to this rifle?  Why are they so cheap?  Should I get one of these or wait and add yet another AR to my collection?  I just want it for plinking/SHTF situations, etc...  Accuracy is not my number 1 concern although it matters somewhat.  Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#13]
The Finnish made RK62s,newer RK95s and civilian M92Ss can shoot under 1 MOA. The Finnish made AK type weapons are without a doubt the best AKs around. In a recent article about 1.5 years ago they tested a M92S with an Aimpoint Comp, it s best groups to 100m were 17mm, calculate the MOA from there.

Nice article about the Finnish arms industry.

[url]http://guns.connect.fi/gow/M95.html[/url]

Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
The SAR-1 is a fine weapon.  Buy one you won't be sorry.  The most accurate AK?  The one in my hand.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#15]
The Valmet is the one of the most accurate AK type rifles.  Except for one model (the 71 I think) they have the rear sights moved back to the receiver cover.  The Galil (based on the Valmet) refines the design one step further.  Oh yeah, they both cost a lot more than any AK-dejur.

G45
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Most accurate based on AK action, I would have to say would be the following: Saiga 7.62 x 39 or the 7.62NATO versions. Russian VEPR in a 7.62NATO. Another would have to be Russian Drugonov.

Personally, I have a Saiga 7.62x39. I was suprised at how accurate this rifle is. I am not a great shot but if I try really hard I could get a 1MOA @ 50yds out of it. Bout the same with my CAR15.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#17]
How accurate do you expect a 16" barrell to be?
Athough my 16" AR is a lot more accurate than my AK. I just don't expect it from the AK.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Valmet 76.  I have 8 of of them.  5 shot sub MOA groups are not uncommon.  I used a 76 .223 folder to shoot a DCM match a couple of years ago and posted a 421 of 500.  Even the old guys with the National Match M1A's could not top that.

Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks Tony for backing up my opinion about Finnish "hardware". Atleast we know how to make guns if nothing else.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks Tuukka -

For the update on Valmets, etc., from Finland.

Kind of like looking at Penthouse for us though, just more pretty stuff we know we'll never gets our hands on.

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top