Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2001 10:19:55 PM EDT
Husband and I were born and raised Kalifornians but will never go back. Gun collection would make us instant criminals. We'll be retiring soon and are looking for a new state to adopt.  Don't particularly want to stay here in Florida as we like the outdoors but it's to hot & humid here & there's so many hungry bugs that like to feast on you that it makes target shooting and hunting unpleasant.

Anybody got any suggestions as to which states would have us?  [O:)]

We promise to repent and never be Kalifornians again!  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Try connecticut, massachussetts, new york, new jersey, or illinois. They will make you feel right at home.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Try connecticut, massachussetts, new york, new jersey, or illinois. They will make you feel right at home.
View Quote

Smart a$$.  We are serious!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
No matter where you move, within 10 years it WILL be like kalifornia because there are too many sheeple in the U.S.

The Republic is lost.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
red dawn: I was born there too, hawaii's no good, very very antigun. I thought about the same thing, maybe AZ., vegas, new mex.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
If I couldn't live in Alaska. I'd like to live in Oregon or northern New Mexico.  NM has a lot of violent crime and is a really poor state, but it's just a beautiful place.  Oregan's nice too but I haven't seen much of it besides I-5 and Portland.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
If it were me (and I do like warm, dry weather), Nevada and Arizona would be at the top of my list. Though there are lots of things I don't like about Cal, most of the family and friends are there so I wouldn't want to be too far away.

I also like Colorado and Texas, but the Lone Star state can be pretty humid. CO is pretty cold in the winter.

But again, that's just me. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#7]
We want a state that didn't carry algore.  
We've thought about a town in Souther Utah called Virgin.  Heard that the mayor there passed an ordinance requiring qualified persons to have a firearm with ammo. And that the crime rate is low because of it. Anybody else hear this?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm escaping to Idaho in a year and becoming an FFL.
View Quote

Glad to hear it! My wife and I are also planning to move to Idaho next year. We will be going to Boise. Drop me a line sometime.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]
How's Colorado? I always thought I might live there once I retire from this cesspool we can California (political cesspool, that is).
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I love Colorado but to many transplants are moving here(california being a big one). they are passing alot of gun laws here such as the gun show loophole. And many others. If I am not correct Ar's are illegal In Denver. Mayor web has his own little country here. I live In Littleton a suburb of Denver so I can own them. Just stay out of the city of Denver. I am planning on moving back to Wyoming and commuting to Ft. Collins to work(only 40 miles away). Just mention gun laws in Wyoming and you will get strung up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Nevada is awesome. No state income tax( it's all covered by the Kalifornians that spend their $$ here.), liberal CCW law, great weather , legal whores( if that's your bag), you can smoke just about anywhere, no such thind as "last call", me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just mention gun laws in Wyoming and you will get strung up.
View Quote

Now, that's a state you have to love. :)

Colorado is such a beautiful state. I always pictured myself retiring in some old folks village in the Rockies. Clean air, water -- I just hope the antis don't ruin it in 25 years when I retire.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Try Arkansas! We have the 2nd largest percentage of retirees per capita in the nation. Quite a few military retirees come here and to my knowledge our legislature has NEVER passed a gun control bill!!!! How many other states can say that? Housing is relatively inexpensive and the northern 1/2 of the state is beautiful. I would stay away from the southeastern half. Lately, there have been many golf retirement villages pop up. Hot Springs Village is a very nice retirement community.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Try Arkansas! We have the 2nd largest percentage of retirees per capita in the nation. Quite a few military retirees come here and to my knowledge our legislature has NEVER passed a gun control bill!!!! How many other states can say that? Housing is relatively inexpensive and the northern 1/2 of the state is beautiful. I would stay away from the southeastern half. Lately, there have been many golf retirement villages pop up. Hot Springs Village is a very nice retirement community.
View Quote

Uhhhhhhhh didn't your state produce the Klintons?[;D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Red Dawn, just do as Davy Crockett did after being defeated for his Congressional seat. He said:

[size=3]'Ya'll can go to Hell, I'm going to Texas![/size=3]

Pro-gun, no state income tax, lovely highway system, etc.

Eric The hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I was in the same situation recently and the free state I chose to move to was North Carolina.  That's where I am from so my family was the deciding factor.  If I were you I would seriously consider Nevada or Arizona.  Both are very free and beautiful.  Most free minded and freedom loving Kalifornians move to these states to regain their god given rights.  In other words these states are very conservative, gun friendly and because of that, relatively safe.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Ill warn you, AZ is great.  The only problem is all of the people are running from Kalifornia and into AZ.  Even the people who dont think they are liberals are too liberal for AZ and they are screwing it up.  You may be nice but please dont pick AZ.  Our population is mostly ex-kalifonians already, if you move here kalifornia might just have enough people to annex AZ.  Then we'd all be screwed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#20]
RedDawn,
 How about rural Northern Missouri. or even Southeast Nebraska. These states don't have CCW yet, though, but the land/taxes are cheap, and the weather is not too bad.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Imbroglio is right...
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Try Nevada. It has lots of everything.
Plus, if you have relatives still in California they would be able to visit easier.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#23]
originaly from ill. but lived in california untill three years ago. moved to colo. and thought I died and gone to heaven but just in the three years it is getting more and more like ca. I think the only two places in colo. that voted for gore were denver and pueblo and the only reason colorado springs area did go to the bush is because of the military presence. and what all that means is that you could live anyplace else in this state of colo. and have to put up with laws passed by the folks in the big city. will be retiring in a couple of years and I thought I would stay here but will start looking at wyoming its a great place. its like colo. was 20 years ago at least maybe I could buy some more time with my freedom to do as I like on weapons.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Virginia?  Just dont go East in MD or DC.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Gun laws here in Louisiana are extremely non-restrictive.  You can even carry a gun concealed anywhere you want in your vehicle loaded or not.  A person's vehicle is considered an extension of their home here.  They hand out concealed carry permits pretty freely here too.  You only need the Concealed carry permit for when you step out of your car and go into the mall with a loaded gun hidden in your purse or elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Don't mess around, move to Indiana.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I kinda like FL.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Florida is just another California waiting to happen.

Can you still say it's the 'Deep South' or is it more like Manhattan-Bronx-Queens-Brooklyn South?  The cities are real Third-Worldly.

Eric The Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Great!  You'll like my shop...  :)

-Troy
View Quote

Of course I will, because being a fellow former oppressed Kalifornian, you'll give me huge discounts!

:)

Chris
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Can you still say it's the 'Deep South' or is it more like Manhattan-Bronx-Queens-Brooklyn South?  The cities are real Third-Worldly.

View Quote

That's another reason we want to leave Florida. To many "snowbirds". They're moving down here from the north in droves to retire. Our little town has tripled in size in the last 10 years. This is in addition to the large influx of liberal hispanics in South Florida.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.  We're still thinking about Utah, but will probably consider Idaho, Nevada and who knows maybe Northwest Texas.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#31]
If you want to stay East Coast, consider Pa.
1. one of the oldest 'shall issue' carry laws.
2. Four seasons
3. Al Gore 'won' due to vote fraud in Philly.
4. Rural Pa. is very conservative.
5. Not a day goes by that I don't hear gunfire..
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you want to stay East Coast, consider Pa.
1. one of the oldest 'shall issue' carry laws.
2. Four seasons
3. Al Gore 'won' due to vote fraud in Philly.
4. Rural Pa. is very conservative.
5. Not a day goes by that I don't hear gunfire..
View Quote

I visit PA extensively, and this is true.

Maryland wouldn't be that bad of a state if it weren't a commie breeding pit here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Try Alaska !!
  I've lived in Colorado, Washington and Idaho.
They are all great places but the best in my opinion is Alaska.
 You are not considered a enemy of the state if your into guns. I've walked through downtown Anchorage carrying an AR15 to get to a gun show at the Sullivan Arena. Try that in most cities! Its easy to get a concealed carry permit. The Mayor and Assembly in Anchorage Alaska just made it easier to aquire permits for machineguns or supressors. You are expected to carry weapons in the wild in fact by law our pilots must carry a weapon as a survival item.  We have great hunting,and fishing- our Spring Bear season is currently in full swing( black and brown).
 Don't worry about winter. The winter weather in Anchorage is comparable to ST. Paul MN. Our summers are fantastic. Highs in the 70's
cool nights.
 Our politicans are to the right of most republicans and our gun rights aren't threatened by this state.
 As info- If your into police work or would like to be there are currently 53 vacancies in Anchorage. [:)}
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Minnesota or Wisconsin, if you are serious about being in the outdoors.  Hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, biking, etc. are huge in both states, and winter doesn't last that long (you can ski or ice fish or snowmobile during the winter).

No Concealed Carry yet in either state but getting closer.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Red Dawn, just do as Davy Crockett did after being defeated for his Congressional seat. He said:

View Quote

[b]Amen![/b] . . . and I'm getting back just as soon as I can!

But . . . if Georgia is more to your taste, there is a town here named Kennesaw that REQUIRES that all the town residents be armed - city ordinance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

[^]

All 3 of my children were born in Texas. I found the people to be very friendly. I just don't want to go back to San Antonio. My husband worked at Kelly AFB. It's a little to humid there for me and I didn't care for the rapid change of temperature when the "blue northers" came through. I really do miss the Mexican food there though, and I'm not opposed to the drier region of West Texas.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Vote 2 for Virginia!

I moved from New England to Virginia.  It is heaven for me but stay to the west in the mountains, Apparently liberals are lazy and don't like to climb hills.

It is awsome for an outdoor lover.

1.  Good gun laws including instant checks that really work.

2.  Concealed Carry Permit is easy to get if you have a clean record.

3. Land is not to expensive.  Just got 60 Acres near Warm Springs to prove it!

4. Mountains on one side, less than 200 miles away you have the ocean and beaches.

5.  Hunting is good, Deer, Bear, Grouse, Rabbit, Squirrel, Doves, etc.

6. And most important of all, great fishing and trout season is open all year round.  They stock Rainbows, Browns and Brookies.

I could live on what I catch, shoot and grow!

Also, Bill Clinton lost this state BIG.  Check it out before you decide, you will be glad you did.  

One WARNING, stay away from the north east part of the state, they are like what you remember in California.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Hey sf46,

Where are you in the dream state?  I used to live in Lafayette.  Love the people & food.  Gettin too old for the heat & humidity.

Red Dawn,

Arky is nice.  Got your 4 seasons there.  Some beautiful country!  Nice folks.  Good eats! Probably still affordable.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Red Dawn, I did the same thing a few years ago, moved from Cal to Utah. One of the best things I ever did. Utah is a great state, although it does have a few strange laws, mostly dealing with the "sin taxed" stuff. Very pro gun state, CCW is easy and cheap to obtain.
 I have heard of that town you mentioned. Way down southern Utah. Mayor passed a law requiring every houshold to have a gun in it. Utah also has new communities that are built around gun ranges.
 If you want any info on the state e-mail me and I'll be happy to get it to you.

Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I second Arkansas!  (I live in there [:)] )
Lots of public land, forest, mountains.  
Four seasons (fall is beautiful).
Plenty of cheap and remote land to be had.
Good People.
Gun friendly.
Good People.
Great fishing, hunting, etc if you like that.

Yes, the Klintons did come from here (at least Bill was from here), but every state has its wackos.  We now have a Rep. gov. who is a big outdoorsman.

Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Montana is very gun friendly and if you do'nt move to the uppie communities like Boseman is a great place to live. In the lower 48 is probably the best!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I moved to CO. 20 years ago, it's gone! we lost it 4 years ago. going to start looking at NEB. or KA. a lot of good people still live there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well I love Colorado but to many transplants are moving here(california being a big one). they are passing alot of gun laws here such as the gun show loophole. And many others. If I am not correct Ar's are illegal In Denver. Mayor web has his own little country here. I live In Littleton a suburb of Denver so I can own them. Just stay out of the city of Denver. I am planning on moving back to Wyoming and commuting to Ft. Collins to work(only 40 miles away). Just mention gun laws in Wyoming and you will get strung up.
View Quote

How is Wyoming? I would love to see it. I am looking to get out of NY when the kids get out of school. If I can't wait the 9 years I would like to split sooner. I thought of Florida, Texas, Arizona. I like warm weather. I am sick of being cold. I am afraid that in 10 years the whole country will be like cali and NY. Not happy about that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have said that too. I like florida but I wonder how many of the NYC crowd is going to change the gun issue. I am from NY but NOT the CITY. I live outside the city.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Come on over to Utah...
Just be careful about the 2002 winter olympics...
we have been preparing for 17 days of anarchy .. then we can get back to being normal ...
Virgin is a nice little sleepy town just norhteast of Saint George (which is as close as many of them mormon types want to live to their favorite home of Las Vegas and still be righteous...).. a couple of pawn shops ... close to Zion National park...
I-15 runs within 20 miles of it ...
Ted...
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#46]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#47]
2 months, I'll be living in Nevada. Kali can kiss my ass!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top