Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2001 9:22:36 PM EDT
Just picked up a NIB preban Colt model 6600 from my FFL. It's not that it's too heavy but rather where the weight is. It seems unbalanced and cumbersome compared to my Sringfield M1A which is a heavier gun. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to the thing. I had considered a lightweight barrel and wish now that I had researched it more. Live and learn! Any comments from someone who has owned/shot both barrel weights?  
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You can get one of those weights that fit into the trap-door butt stock to make it, supposedly "perfectly balenced"

i believe www.bushmaster.com has them, along with brownells, and lots of other places.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of those weights in my butt stock, and it balances the gun very nicely. You'll be pleased, I think.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep those Weight that fits on the A2 Trap Door really balances the Rifle.
They're pretty cheap you can probably get one for 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Should have bought a bushmaster.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
What did you expect its a colt.

Should have bought a Bushmaster IMHO.[>(]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Send your upper to Kurt's Kustom and he can turn the barrel down under the handguards like an M16A2.  That will save you a pound, and the gun will balance better, be faster on target, and easier to carry around.

-Troy
View Quote

This sounds like a pretty damn good idea. I really don't want to add more weight just to balance it. In your words it is slow to move around on target and that is my biggest concern. I have only heard good about the man and will seek his opinon (and his price).

For all of you BM people taking shots at my Colt I have this to say to you...For shame, for shame!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got the lead weights in the A2 buttstocks of 2 of my HBAR AR's...

DEFINATELY makes a difference!!!

They are $19.95 each from Bushmaster,and are  3.5 LBS

Included in the package is a diagram showing where to cut the lead weight to acheive your exact weight requirement...

Definately worth the 20 bucks...  

Makes the gun heavy as hell though...
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Shove a C mag in it. That should balance it out.
I have zero problems with my A2 HB. I like it alot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Wish i had room for one of those weights but my stock is full of tools like for takedown of gun with tensioning wedge and Directions ect for my Jewell trigger (i Guess if my memory was better i wouldn't need directions)...Dick
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll e-mail you my address and you can send it to me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#13]
The use you intend for the rifle may cause you to want a heavy  or lightweight rifle. I bought my M6700 Colt to  use for a police defensive rifle school. By the time I shot about 1000+ rounds in three days I could not wait to get a lightweight rifle. If I was a long-range shooter I  would probably enjoy the M6700 more, as it is, it sits in my gunlocker and the lightweight 9mm and .223 are the ones that go to the range.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought my Colt HBAR back in '91.  Soon afterward, I wished that I had bought one with a regular barrel.  There is an easy solution, though.  Get a FAL and mount a heavy scope on it.  Carry it around for one or two seasons, then pick up the HBAR again.  It will feel light as a feather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top