Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2001 4:55:06 PM EDT
I've just returned from a gun store where I paid for a mil-spec blue Springfield Armory 1911 .45. The pistol lists for $560, I paid $499 for it. So I didn't have my CCW permit with me so I go home and pick it up, return to the store and dude hands me the closed Springfield Armory box.

I drive the 20 miles home, stop for dinner at McD's and head on home. I sit down at the dinner table and wow what a happy meal suprise. I find a nice Stainless Steel Springfield Armory .45 model with Novak low profiles in the box. It lists for $870.

So the moral delemia is what to do? I suppose that the gun store is eventually going to sell the blue gun to someone else. My receipt has a different serial number from the first blue pistol. I'm guessing that there is no way for the gun store to figure out that they sold the same gun twice.

What should I do?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Do the right thing. Would you want to take a loss like that? It's an honest mistake on their part, make it right and become a VERY valued customer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Return to the store and tell the salesman.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Take it back and exchange it for the the one that you really did purchase.  Just why in the hell do you think that you should have to ask in the first place!?!  That kind of Karma is going to turn around and bite you in the ass someday.
[8D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, return to the store. Do the right thing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The store owner is bound to find out what he did and he has your life history on paper.

Be the hero and tell him before he calls you.

We're you seriously thinking about doing otherwise...?  Shame on ya!

[sniper]
[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah that was my first instint but they did make me a felon over a week after they sold me a post-ban AR with flash suppressor and bayonet lug. They took that rifle back at least.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If you like the stainless one better, see what kind of deal they can give you on it.  I figure your honesty would be worth a discount.  If you just as well have the blued pistol, get that one.  

What if it was the other way around, would you just keep the lesser pistol and be happy with it?

In any words, you need to go back and make this deal right. It is for your protection also, you ned to straighten out the serial number thing.  I imagine at some point, the stainless one will be reported lost/stolen??

OSA
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just why in the hell do you think that you should have to ask in the first place
View Quote

If you need a reason to do the right thing then how about this? They are going to discover the mistake sooner or later and will trace it back to you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
God has smiled on you, dont insult God. Keep it. When the gunstore calls, 'speekee no inglch'[;)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
If you do not pay for the gun, the salesperson will...you better return it I say.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've just returned from a gun store where I paid for a mil-spec blue Springfield Armory 1911 .45. The pistol lists for $560, I paid $499 for it. So I didn't have my CCW permit with me so I go home and pick it up, return to the store and dude hands me the closed Springfield Armory box.

I drive the 20 miles home, stop for dinner at McD's and head on home. I sit down at the dinner table and wow what a happy meal suprise. I find a nice Stainless Steel Springfield Armory .45 model with Novak low profiles in the box. It lists for $870.

So the moral delemia is what to do? I suppose that the gun store is eventually going to sell the blue gun to someone else. My receipt has a different serial number from the first blue pistol. I'm guessing that there is no way for the gun store to figure out that they sold the same gun twice.

What should I do?
View Quote

McDonalds is an anti gun company.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#13]
bring it back Im sure they will rember it the next time you buy there. Good Guy perks are a good thing to have if you do a lot of bisness with them
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#15]
What if they already sold the blue Springfield you paid for?  They guy who gets it goes nuts.  Police are knocking on your door, cuffs in hand.

Go back to the store pronto.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:43:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Return it my son for if you don't you will burn in eternal fire and damnation, or not. Do whatcha like.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Hmmmm, go back and ask questions
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Repent for eating at McD's and take the gun back.  Tell 'em your sorry that you first considered keeping it, must've been the secret sauce you ate.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
A good rule of conduct is to never correct mistakes that are in your favor.

My brother once had a bank error in his favor that put $6000 into his account. He returned it, and I asked him why in god's name he did that.

"Because they'd find out eventually and I'd have to give it back then, so why wait?  They track the money and everything."

Well, if they screwed up once, why wouldn't they do it again?  Take the $6k and put it in other accounts at other banks, and if they catch it and call you, return it.  Otherwise....why pass up a free $6,000?

The favorable error foreshadowed a long string of unfavorable errors on their end that they charged him for, made it impossible for him to get his money out, NSF fees, and late fees on credit cards.  Lots of long screaming phone calls to this bank.  He regretted not keeping the money.

So if this dealer is your friend, be sure to return it.  Otherwise.......why?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Anybody else here ever left a gun shop without looking in the box?  I know I have'nt.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#22]
You will reap what you sow................... Do the right thing, this will come back to haunt you.  "He who is faithful in little, will be faithful in much............"
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Two wrongs make one right?  I don't think so.  Obviously a mistake was made at the gun shop and for certain, they will find out where and who the mistake was made and get their gun back.

Trying to keep the gun is wrong because it doesn't belong to him.  He didn't buy this weapon, nor was he suppose to be in possession of it.  The sooner he rectifies this, the better.

I can't disagree with you more.  Correcting mistakes or oversights that happen to "favor" you show integrity and honor - principles that once made this country great.  

To make it great again, it starts with us, you and me and everyone else.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
God has smiled on you, dont insult God. Keep it. When the gunstore calls, 'speekee no inglch'[;)]
View Quote

Which God? God of this world (satan) or the worderful creator that gaves us the Bill Of Rights?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Henry Bowman:
View Quote

Two wrongs make one right?  I don't think so.  Obviously a mistake was made at the gun shop and for certain, they will find out where and who the mistake was made and get their gun back.

Trying to keep the gun is wrong because it doesn't belong to him.  He didn't buy this weapon, nor was he suppose to be in possession of it.  The sooner he rectifies this, the better.

I can't disagree with you more.  Correcting mistakes or oversights that happen to "favor" you show integrity and honor - principles that once made this country great.  

To make it great again, it starts with us, you and me and everyone else.
View Quote

You are 100% correct.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]
OK thanks for the feedback. I'll get the pistol back to the dealer Monday afternoon. I'll talk with the owner/manager to see if he'll make me happy with a holster or a couple boxes of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought an LTR 700 at a gun show a few weeks ago. The serial # was totally different than the one on the paperwork. I went back the same day and told them about the mistake. They thanked me profusely for  coming back and squaring away a mistake that could have really bitten them in the rear. I walked away with a new Harris bipod. Far better to be honest, people remember that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Honesty is always the best policy and frankly in talking to a Gun Shop Owner in the past twenty years he's only has half a dozen bad personal checks, which speaks well of gun owners. Be proud of being a responsible/honest gun owner.[beer]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#30]
If you paid for a cheeseburger and got a Big Mac...I'd say keep it.

BUT...Your dealing with guns and serial numbers here...

The answer should be obvious...
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Keep the gun if you want to be just like the dishonest crooks that run rampant in the anti-gun movement.

Whenever I get too much change back, I immediately let the cashier know and return the money. I know most people don't, but I do.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#32]
You could always register it somewhere else, but maybe it's best to return it.  Gun stores in the PRK are becomming scarce and you may return one day.  It's only money.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I also had a similiar thing happen when I purchased my first Glock.  The total was like $548 and I paid for it with mr. mastercard.  The gentleman who owns the store keyed in $54.80 to the little black credit card machine.  I signed the recipt and put it in my pocket.  When I got home, I looked at the recipt before filing it away and noticed the "Great Discount" he gave me.  Anyways, to make a long story short, I went back and brought it to his attention and he told me to pick out a new holster, 5 boxes of ammo, and some cleaning supplies all on the house.  We were both really greatfull.  Now, anytime I purchase a firearm, he's the man, and he remembers what I did and always gives me great prices on all his guns.

Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Only a troll would ask such a ridiculous question.

Are all trolls this dishonest?

You silly troll.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Report the blued gun stolen and then call the cops and tell them you found it at "joe-Shmoe's Gunstore" Show them the receipt. Bury the stainless gun for SHTF. Live life feeling guilty but having TWO cool guns.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 3:42:36 AM EDT
[#37]
If you like it better.  Take it out, shoot it some, see if you like the way it shoots.

The take it back, inform them of their mistake.  Let them know that you have shot the gun and it is now used.  Seeing as how it was their mistake and the gun is now used maybe they will just eat the loss and change the paper work for ya.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 4:42:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Do the right thing.They got to make a living same as you.Gun owners need to be straight with each other.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Somebody already said this, but guns have serial numbers, and gun stores are supposed to take inventory every so often and report losses to the ATF.  Go back and see if they give you some freebies.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#40]
People that say that Troll should keep the SS pistol are not doing much to help the image of law-abiding gun owners.  Society is trying to take away our 2nd ammendment rights, and to prevent this we have to show society that gun owners are moral, honest and ethical people.  Take the gun back-even if the owner doesn't give you anything for free, he will remember you as an honest individual.  This may be helpful somewhere down the road.

ML
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Captain Obvious:
McDonalds is an anti gun company.
View Quote

You serious? Have anything to do with the fact that they seem to like hiring gangstas? Make 'em pay for their training, then if they get they ass cold smoked, it's no big monetary lost to hire the next one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#44]
keep the damm gun dude.all this advice about taking it back is bullshit.they are telling you mto do the right thing,easy for them to say that.id keep it .i buy guns from 3 different gun stores and all of them have made alot of cash from me.so if they are going to give me a deal like you got .fantastic.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Take it back and the guy should be very thankfull. If it was me. I'd comp you some rounds or a couple of mags.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#46]
I own a gunshop and I can tell this. If they put down the serial number of the gun you were given on the 4473 you filled out they can ask you for the gun back BUT its their mistake and they gave you the gun you Signed for. The paperwork is right and matches your gun.
If they gave a gun that is not on the 4473 you signed for then you will have to give it back.
If I made that kind of mistake I would expect you to do the right thing and bring it back so we could get it straight.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you paid for a cheeseburger and got a Big Mac...I'd say keep it.

BUT...Your dealing with guns and serial numbers here...

The answer should be obvious...
View Quote

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Dealer cost on the gun you got is $555.00 +-.  The selling price of the gun you bought should be 450.00 +-.  I would call the shop and negociate a great deal on the SS gun.  It was their sloppy inattentivness that caused this.  And you should, If you take it back be compensated for your time and the gas to get the shop an extra time.

To verify the above information you can go to http://www.lisc.net.  They have listings and priceing on all SA guns.  They markup from 10-15% depending on the gun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#49]
For those who are telling ihm to keep the gun, I suggest you give him all your personal info so he can tell them you own it now, and when they come knocking you will see.

Don't expect anything for returning it.  I work in retail and while I don't deal with large dollar items like guns, when it comes to people coming in with mistakes you can peg out the ones who want something for their "Act of Honesty".  It's the people who come back and want to pay for the little thing that got missed that I usually reward with a few bucks worth of comps.  In fact last night I gave a customer $65 worth of product because our register crashed during her sale and I couldn't be %100 sure that she wasn't charged.  I am pretty sure that her debt card did not make it through judging by the computer record, but do I want to loose a customer over $65 or gain a more frequent buyer with the same $65.  

As for this being a stupid question, or "need you ask".  At least it shows he is an honest person and he is having a hard time convincing himself to do what many on this board had no trouble doing and that keeping it.  I myself can not profess to be totally honest and would have to remember that this gun is trackable and now "stolen" by law.

Take it back and if the owner doesn't appreciate it, just remember that all good things come to those who wait.
[^]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#50]
about two years ago i had placed a large order with lowes to be delivered,washer,dyer,refer and a few other large items.i also had bought about $600.00 in tools that i took with me that day.a couple days later the delivery truck pulls up to my house and they start unloading all my goodies,including the tools i already had.whoa i say fellas i already have the tools.they call the store manager and the next thing i know is he's knocking 20% off and free delivery.to this day whenever i need to have something delivered i don't get charge for it.mmk
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top