Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:
I want to get Starlink for the following reasons.
1. As a backup for our existing connection. Wife WFH in her family business. No internet = they are dead in the water. It has happened a time or two. Would probably run it in tandem on a multi WAN router.
2. It would allow us to have a reliable broadband connection on the road. A lot of the places we camp have bingo cell reception, being able to stay connected would be huge.
3. I would like to be versed in it. I deal with crap like this for a living and am already getting questions about it. I like to live with the products I deal with, gives you a great level of knowledge when you use something every day.
View Quote

I currently am using a Peplink with 2 DSL lines and 1 LTE line.  All three are load balanced.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ThereBeDragoons:

Why don't you want at&t or spectrum? They have faster service for cheaper. They actually have customer service you can call. You know when they will take your payment out. They'll replace faulty equipment in a day or two.
View Quote

You keep spewing this nonsense like they're facts, but they're not.  They're variables that differ for each of us.

My ATT service was advertised as 6mb, but was actually 1.5-2mb (which isn't faster than Starlink).  ATT's customer service is notorious for being horrible.  I don't have time to stay on hold for hours in order to actually talk to customer service.  I did that once with ATT and it was agonizing.  Over 2.5 hours to talk to someone who couldn't even help me.  Having a way to reliably write emails to customer service sounds heavenly.   And ATT ships replacement equipment to rural/suburban areas the same way Starlink intends to.  No difference there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It's Elon Musk Against Ergen, Dell, and Bezos in Battle Over Starlink

"A battle over satellite internet that has been brewing between tech titans Elon Musk, owner of SpaceX and Starlink, and Charlie Ergen, co-founder of EchoStar and Dish Network, has broken out into the open. EchoStar is a worldwide provider of satellite communication and internet services through its Hughes Network Systems and EchoStar Satellite Services.

In a December 22, 2020 filing, satellite internet provider Viasat formally requested that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) either conduct an environmental assessment of SpaceX’s Starlink system or else require an environmental impact statement from the company before approving SpaceX's request to add almost 3,000 more internet-beaming satellites to low-Earth orbit.

Satellite systems have a "categorical exemption" from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), which was implemented by the FCC in the mid-1980s based on an analysis at that time which showed that launches of individual satellites have no measurable effect on the environment. However, the law includes a provision that "an interested person" can request that a federal agency conduct an environmental assessment."
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
It's Elon Musk Against Ergen, Dell, and Bezos in Battle Over Starlink

"A battle over satellite internet that has been brewing between tech titans Elon Musk, owner of SpaceX and Starlink, and Charlie Ergen, co-founder of EchoStar and Dish Network, has broken out into the open. EchoStar is a worldwide provider of satellite communication and internet services through its Hughes Network Systems and EchoStar Satellite Services.

In a December 22, 2020 filing, satellite internet provider Viasat formally requested that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) either conduct an environmental assessment of SpaceX’s Starlink system or else require an environmental impact statement from the company before approving SpaceX's request to add almost 3,000 more internet-beaming satellites to low-Earth orbit.

Satellite systems have a "categorical exemption" from the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), which was implemented by the FCC in the mid-1980s based on an analysis at that time which showed that launches of individual satellites have no measurable effect on the environment. However, the law includes a provision that "an interested person" can request that a federal agency conduct an environmental assessment."
View Quote

Sounds like they see the writing on the wall and figure it is easier to participate in lawfare then upgrading their platforms to be viable competitors.

Starlink will 100% kill them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck Bezos.

No matter what anyone thinks of Musk or his other ventures, SpaceX is a legitimate American success story.

Or will be, unless those cocksuckers drag it down.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Echostar is such garbage I use an LTE hotspot with 1 weak bar and trounce it. I'm super rural but that 1 bar is sent from heaven so I don't have to use their crap! We're pretty much the target of Starlink but have to wait patiently to see it reach this far south. Want to see some more falcons with 60 sat payloads. This 10 sat with rideshare is slowing me down!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tabraha:
Echostar is such garbage I use an LTE hotspot with 1 weak bar and trounce it. I'm super rural but that 1 bar is sent from heaven so I don't have to use their crap! We're pretty much the target of Starlink but have to wait patiently to see it reach this far south. Want to see some more falcons with 60 sat payloads. This 10 sat with rideshare is slowing me down!
View Quote

I wanna see Starship with 300-400 of them
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

They will probably launch a lot of Starlinks in the next 2-3 months.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The launch yesterday or the day before was interesting.
I had no idea that SpaceX had a "rideshare" program.

Basically they sell slots as a "we are launching on X date, ready or not". If the slots all fill up, cool. If they don't, they backfill that space with Starlink satellites.

They are giving people cheap orbital rates in exchange for their help subsidizing the deployment of their own birds.. Wicked smaat [Boston accent]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#10]

The launch yesterday or the day before was interesting.
I had no idea that SpaceX had a "rideshare" program.

Basically they sell slots as a "we are launching on X date, ready or not". If the slots all fill up, cool. If they don't, they backfill that space with Starlink satellites.

They are giving people cheap orbital rates in exchange for their help subsidizing the deployment of their own birds.. Wicked smaat [Boston accent]
View Quote

This was their first company rideshare mission. They're supposed to happen every ~6 months from here on out IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:26:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GotGuns] [#12]
They can pry my Spectrum hard line from my cold dead hands.

ETA To be fair, I wish Starlink the best.  I have no doubt that it will overtake land-based services for the simple fact that it will eventually be easier and cheaper to upgrade satellites and put more of them in orbit than it will be to upgrade millions of miles of cable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#13]
SpaceX plans to upgrade Starlink speed to 10 gigabits.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I cant wait.

F Spectrum.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#15]
if i could get 100 down 20 up somewhere rather rural for anything near a reasonable price and its reliable, i'd be looking at moving yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ManyFacets:
if i could get 100 down 20 up somewhere rather rural for anything near a reasonable price and its reliable, i'd be looking at moving yesterday.
View Quote

Starlink will be able to do that anywhere in the USA by this summer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Almost anywhere alaska maybe not yet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By David0858:

Won't work. You need a local downlink station. There is no connection between the sats liked was talked about and from what I read there won't be anytime soon.
View Quote

Their transporter launch the other day had a dozen or so with laser links.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

View Quote

Yes, they're working towards satellite-to-satellite laser links so a connection on the ground doesn't have to be local.

Elon has said this for a few years now, it'd be wise for some of these guys (Not you) to do some research on what the plan has been for years now, rather than looking at specs on satellites 3 months ago and saying "This is it".

to have 10gbps data links to end-users, you're gonna have to upgrade these things a few generations, and Elon+Starlink have committed to that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

They said only polar orbit birds will get the lasers this year, main grid not until 2022. That's somewhat concerning as it means they're either not sure they work or they can't make enough. Something's funny about them planning the launches of thousands of satellites that will just have to come back down to make room for the laser equipped ones. They've already started deorbiting the first batch of 60.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
Fuck Bezos.

No matter what anyone thinks of Musk or his other ventures, SpaceX is a legitimate American success story.

View Quote

The one, potentially fatal, mistake the Musk has made with Starlink is partnering with Microsoft.

A huge selling point of his service could have been "just internet". No datamining, no profiling, no tracking. You pay for internet, you get internet, full stop.

Instead you get the same "you are not only a customer but you are also a product" crap that most other ISPs have. I get that many people don't give a shit but a lot do and would have migrated to Starlink as a clean option.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#22]
Sounds useful for people in the boonies. I have had Satellite TV in MO, GA, FL and Germany.  Everyone lost signal during heavy storms/rain.  I can't lose my internet as a Hurricane is approaching, so it will be NOPE for me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Nodak_Cruffler:

They said only polar orbit birds will get the lasers this year, main grid not until 2022. That's somewhat concerning as it means they're either not sure they work or they can't make enough. Something's funny about them planning the launches of thousands of satellites that will just have to come back down to make room for the laser equipped ones. They've already started deorbiting the first batch of 60.
View All Quotes

Getting a system online, proving it out, and making money will be worth deorbiting and relaunching, especially given their vertical integration.

Personally I love the Agile approach to this whole thing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:

Getting a system online, proving it out, and making money will be worth deorbiting and relaunching, especially given their vertical integration.

Personally I love the Agile approach to this whole thing.
View Quote

Is it though? I get launching enough for the current high latitude band to make sure you can do continuous connection with a bunch of users. That's complete enough for testing though. Why are they continuing to launch without lasers? As for making money, they're getting revenue sure, but not even remotely enough to justify disposable satellites.
There was something above about reevaluating the environmental exception for satellites. If they really are planning on scrapping about as many Starlink sats in the next year or so as there are all other functioning sats combined maybe they have a point.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#25]
The starlinks have a 5 year planned lifespan. This due to the orbit and thruster fuel amount, the planned radiation resistant lifespan and expected technological obselescence. At their current claimed cost to orbit a 12,000 sat network will cost about 6 billion every 5 years. Thats only one million customers. I expect them to get 100 million easy. After taxes and billing cost etc... That's a cool half a trillion in profits every five years....
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#26]
In the meantime I started a local WISP.  Fiber connection to one of the towers went live today.  I hope to get 2 to 3 years before starlink is truly viable
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By mbx5:
In the meantime I started a local WISP.  Fiber connection to one of the towers went live today.  I hope to get 2 to 3 years before starlink is truly viable
View Quote

Ouch, I would expect them to start offering the Beta in PA within the next few months.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:28:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#28]
View Quote

Yeah, that seems poorly timed lol. I thought of doing the same thing locally but starlink headed me off. Now tmobile is offering home 4g here and it beats most wired connections that aren't fiber in my area.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Redarts:

Yeah, that seems poorly timed lol. I thought of doing the same thing locally but starlink headed me off. Now tmobile is offering home 4g here and it beats most wired connections that aren't fiber in my area.
View Quote

Still moving forward with it.  Had enough of the bullshit out here.  I've only got 25k into it so far.  The rest will be rural broadband grant money.
Might be short lived, still worth a shot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:05:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#30]

Still moving forward with it.  Had enough of the bullshit out here.  I've only got 25k into it so far.  The rest will be rural broadband grant money.
Might be short lived, still worth a shot.
View Quote

I figure if you can get decent speeds under their price you'll still do fine. Most people wouldn't care about the jump from $65 / 25mbps to $100 /100 mbps unless they had kids or needed it otherwise, so I'm sure there is still a market.

The cell companies deciding on home internet in your area would be the really tough competition.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#31]
The starlinks have a 5 year planned lifespan. This due to the orbit and thruster fuel amount, the planned radiation resistant lifespan and expected technological obselescence. At their current claimed cost to orbit a 12,000 sat network will cost about 6 billion every 5 years. Thats only one million customers. I expect them to get 100 million easy. After taxes and billing cost etc... That's a cool half a trillion in profits every five years....
View Quote

They're not getting 100M customers. That's just absurd. Basic math gives around 8k subscribers per satellite, sharing a 20Gbit beam. Considering each satellite will spend a majority of its time over areas with few to no subscribers it gets even worse. A few million is more realistic and is probably profitable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm currently paying $75/mo for Charter Spectrum at 200mbps down/10mbps up.  I would gladly take less speed for a lower price, but that is Spectrum's minimum unless you qualify for the special welfare government cheese rate.  100 mbps would be perfectly adequate for my needs, if the price was at least $5 better than Spectrum's.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#33]

They're not getting 100M customers. That's just absurd. Basic math gives around 8k subscribers per satellite, sharing a 20Gbit beam. Considering each satellite will spend a majority of its time over areas with few to no subscribers it gets even worse. A few million is more realistic and is probably profitable.
View Quote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/spacex-now-plans-for-5-million-starlink-customers-in-us-up-from-1-million/%3famp=1

They already upped us customer liscense request from 1 to five million.  Spread an equal number around rest of the world. The us is about 6% of world landmass. If the think they can do 5 million here the can do 100 worldwide.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ManyFacets:

Bring it on.  

running on mid 90s infrastructure here.  Can't wait to move over.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By grambosc:
I'm currently paying $75/mo for Charter Spectrum at 200mbps down/10mbps up.  I would gladly take less speed for a lower price, but that is Spectrum's minimum unless you qualify for the special welfare government cheese rate.  100 mbps would be perfectly adequate for my needs, if the price was at least $5 better than Spectrum's.
View Quote

Don't feel bad about the plan you have....

I'm within the city limits and have a single choice for internet, Centurylink DSL.
It was just "upgraded" to 5MB down. I'm paying almost 90/month for that service.

I called and asked if they had any deals for long term subscribers and was told no.
I can't wait for Starlink to get here. I'd pay 100/month just to get away from Centurylink....
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

If you have your own in-house space launch capability, there isn't a compelling reason to build 5-10yr lifespan equipment and keep it in space for that long, at this point in time.

That is how Starlink and SpaceX work, continuous iterative improvement, inline with advancements in materials, tech and experience. The first batch is already outdated and was never intended to remain in space.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#37]

The one, potentially fatal, mistake the Musk has made with Starlink is partnering with Microsoft.

A huge selling point of his service could have been "just internet". No datamining, no profiling, no tracking. You pay for internet, you get internet, full stop.

Instead you get the same "you are not only a customer but you are also a product" crap that most other ISPs have. I get that many people don't give a shit but a lot do and would have migrated to Starlink as a clean option.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
Fuck Bezos.

Last I saw, it was an Azure platform centered around using satellite connectivity for remote deployments. Did SpaceX and Microsoft release further info?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Redarts:

I figure if you can get decent speeds under their price you'll still do fine. Most people wouldn't care about the jump from $65 / 25mbps to $100 /100 mbps unless they had kids or needed it otherwise, so I'm sure there is still a market.

The cell companies deciding on home internet in your area would be the really tough competition.
View Quote

My area is so fucked that most can't even use cellular hotspots.  Parents have been suffering with virtual schooling.

I'm hoping to have 100 customers online before Starlink becomes a big problem.  My waiting list for installs is approaching that already.  A lot of these people are locals and we know them....they'd rather deal with some local boys than some billionaires.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Please hurry...Verizon is killing me...
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

I guess this makes me a fanboi?

I'm looking forward to stable internet. Speed is nice but my current setup varies so much I can't count on it.so I drive into town for "meetings"

I'll report back!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Congrats!!!  What state are you in and what is your current internet bandwidth?  If you don't mind me asking.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By sneadhearn:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333855/20210126_124627_jpg-1797900.JPG

I guess this makes me a fanboi?

I'm looking forward to stable internet. Speed is nice but my current setup varies so much I can't count on it.so I drive into town for "meetings"

I'll report back!
View Quote

Not that will be too many steps but please give us a step-by-step!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:
Congrats!!!  What state are you in and what is your current internet bandwidth?  If you don't mind me asking.
View Quote

I'm in the Idaho Panhandle. I don't list state because I've not moved completely, so in Oregon for a bit longer. This will be installed there, then.

I have a Verizon sim in a Netgear box with external mimo antenna. When everything is working perfectly, I get just over 20down and 1.5 up. The latency isn't horrible, it's adequate for a zoom call if I don't move around much and if I speak slowly.  I can hit one tower.

I've found that at 0800, when everyone jumps on for work, or at 2000 when everyone is streaming movies, it slows to a crawl, sometimes to a few hundred kbps.

We also hit the data caps since I've not taken the time to change the TTL on my router, hoping Elon would hook me up with this dish.

Bottom line is that on a good day at 1430, I can make a two way video call. Otherwise, I'm limited to sending email and posting stupid boomer memes on the internet. I am looking forward to more robust connection since I can work remotely about 75% of the time.

Originally Posted By WrightP:

Not that will be too many steps but please give us a step-by-step!
View Quote

Will do. I used the Starlink app to figure out where on my property to place the dish, and it's NOT where I'd like it to be. For now, it'll do. I suspect I'll do some tree clearing to put it in a better spot - either that or I'll put it somewhere up high.

I do have some concern about the length of the POE cable that's supplied - it's 100 feet. I have some plans on how to manage an extension, but that involves digging and pulling wires and I'm lazy so I'm hoping I can make it work otherwise.

We have a house that's essentially underground, so I don't even have a high roof to use to mount it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm going to love this service when they get it up and running in full. We sometimes go really far out deep sea fishing. Once you go past the east side of Catalina Island = you lose all connection with the mainland. We have a marine radio but the signal radius is not that big and if you are out 100+ miles the only people that you will be hearing and talking with are other boats near you.

I know that my buddy will get Starlink for his boat = emails, calls, texting, checking current fish reports on Bloody Decks, watching movies, anywhere we go in the Pacific ocean. Communication link with the coast guard at all times.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By sneadhearn:

Will do. I used the Starlink app to figure out where on my property to place the dish, and it's NOT where I'd like it to be. For now, it'll do. I suspect I'll do some tree clearing to put it in a better spot - either that or I'll put it somewhere up high.

I do have some concern about the length of the POE cable that's supplied - it's 100 feet. I have some plans on how to manage an extension, but that involves digging and pulling wires and I'm lazy so I'm hoping I can make it work otherwise.

We have a house that's essentially underground, so I don't even have a high roof to use to mount it.
View Quote

Don't think the app is some magic that anywhere there is a tree will ruin your service.

We're probably at close the same latitudes. The dish points almost straight up. There are 50' trees blocking the view to the north on the app that are 20 yards away from the dish. But, I'm only losing service due to obstructions 2-3 minutes everyday.

You don't need a clear of a sky as you think.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ThereBeDragoons:

Don't think the app is some magic that anywhere there is a tree will ruin your service.

We're probably at close the same latitudes. The dish points almost straight up. There are 50' trees blocking the view to the north on the app that are 20 yards away from the dish. But, I'm only losing service due to obstructions 2-3 minutes everyday.

You don't need a clear of a sky as you think.
View Quote

Thanks  - I wondered about that. I'm at 48.3 give or take. I guess I can place it in a few spots to test it out since I won't be doing any burying of cable until mud-season hits and I can get into the ground.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By GotGuns:
They can pry my Spectrum hard line from my cold dead hands.

ETA To be fair, I wish Starlink the best.  I have no doubt that it will overtake land-based services for the simple fact that it will eventually be easier and cheaper to upgrade satellites and put more of them in orbit than it will be to upgrade millions of miles of cable.
View Quote

THE PURPOSE OF STARLINK.

I don't think you quite understand it. It's not meant to compete with your cable or fiber internet. It's primary purpose is to provide access where people can't GET cable or fiber access where they are.

Starlink would work in urban areas that have fiber and cable, but would be saturated too easily, and thus is not a good solution in urban areas. Rural areas can be much less densely packed, and could greatly benefit from very very little infrastructure needed (the dish, some cable and the modem/router).
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Received and hooked up my starlink last night. Its a bit more spotty than I anticipated, but the speeds are 12x what I was using before for the same price
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#49]

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/spacex-now-plans-for-5-million-starlink-customers-in-us-up-from-1-million/%3famp=1

They already upped us customer liscense request from 1 to five million.  Spread an equal number around rest of the world. The us is about 6% of world landmass. If the think they can do 5 million here the can do 100 worldwide.
View Quote

100M customers at $100/month is simply impossible. End of story. There's only around 500M people globaly earning over $20k a year, and most of those get faster, cheaper internet through fiber. Not to mention the physical capabilities of the satellites.  Maybe Starlink will subsidize low income areas, but then their revenue drops dramatically. They're looking at a few million tops. That can be enough to be profitable if they do it right.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#50]
My dad may want it unless 5G beats then to the punch.
Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top