Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 79
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boomer:

So an ISP version of our own Team Forum that keeps freeloading riff-raff, like, um, you, out to provide a more favorable experience for those who qualify to use it?
View Quote

He also should ban any Boeing employees past or present from using the service.

THAT would be awesome if Musk is listening.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:
https://i.imgflip.com/458152.gif
View Quote

Turning every last corner of the world into the flight path of JFK, etc.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BabaYaga777:
Oh I can't wait for the "wifi gives you cancer" dumbshits to find out about this
View Quote

Most of those people have moved onto 5G.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Will certainly beat what I have now.

.5 to 1 meg per second speeds. Until 15gig data cap is hit, then about 100kbps tops.

For ~$80/mo.

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't even imagine fast satellite internet with no data limits. I will have it. I don't care what it costs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:57:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBT] [#6]
SpaceX Starlink internet prepares for beta users

The June 13 launch carried 58 Starlink satellites into space. With this latest launch, there are now 540 Starlink satellites in orbit.

According to SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk, SpaceX needs about 400 Starlink satellites to provide "minor" coverage and 800 for "moderate" coverage.
Still, with 540 satellites is enough for SpaceX to be inviting users to apply to become beta testers. The website now invites you to  "Get updates on Starlink news and service availability in your area," by filling out a form for an email address and zip code. The form allows prospective customers to apply for updates and access to a public beta test of the Starlink service.

Once you do, you'll get an e-mail reading:

Starlink is designed to deliver high-speed broadband internet to locations where access has been unreliable, expensive, or completely unavailable. Private beta testing is expected to begin later this summer, followed by public beta testing, starting with higher latitudes.

If you provided us with your zip code, you will be notified via email if beta testing opportunities become available in your area. In the meantime, we will continue to share with you updates about general service availability and upcoming Starlink launches.

By the time the beta is open, late-summer or early fall, there may well be about 800 satellites ready to deliver broadband internet to Americans living in the northern contiguous states. We don't know how far south the initial beta coverage area extends.

If you're accepted for the beta, you can expect to get a user terminal with a flat disc antenna, which measures 0.48 meters in diameter. Musk describes these as looking like a "little UFO on a stick." Your terminal's antennas will self-direct itself for the best satellite signals.

According to SpaceX, Starlink will offer speeds of up to a gigabit per second at latencies from 25 milliseconds to 35 milliseconds. That's much faster than old-school satellites. HughesNet, the grandpa of satellite Internet, offers download speeds up to 25Mbps and upload speeds up to 3Mbps.

When it comes to latency, SpaceX has the older satellite Internet services beat all hollow. HughesNet has a latency of over 500 milliseconds. That's a half-second in people time.  Starlink promises to have a latency of between 15ms to 25ms. Good Earth-bound broadband gives you latency of about 8ms to 20ms. This high-bandwidth will enable you to run video-conferencing and play high-end video games.

More recently, Musk tweeted, initially you can expect "Around 20ms. It's designed to run real-time, competitive video games. Version 2, which is at lower altitude could be as low as 8ms latency."

If all goes well with the beta, Musk has said Starlink will cost about $80 per month. It won't be available everywhere, though, at first. The US and Canada will get the service first. Eventually, it will be global.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/spacex-starlink-internet-prepares-for-beta-users/

https://www.starlink.com
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Southernman077:
I can't even imagine fast satellite internet with no data limits. I will have it. I don't care what it costs.
View Quote
That's the spirit!
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Years ago I had a customer complain about latency on the left coast.  I explained physics to them and light traveling through glass fiber optic cables.  There was only so much we could do.

Didn’t really occur to me at the time that ditching the fiber optic was an option and the latency improvement possible.

Of course at the time satellites were geosynchronous, and latency was worse.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boatswain] [#9]
Hold up there.

Electronically steered phased array terminals cost $20k and way up, I've seen some in the $50k-$70k range.

I'm excited for Starlink but there is no way SpaceX can cut the cost on those terminals in the short term, photos of a mysterious dish notwithstanding.

Musk has been promised full self-driving Tesla's since 2016, he always overpromises. $80 a month without a very expensive terminal is going to be a long way off.

Direct quote from Musk last month:

"it will take a few years before the StarLink end user terminal is affordable and is the hardest challenge to solve"
View Quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/gr6742/at_3400_in_the_aviation_week_interview_elon_musk/

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/space/podcast-interview-spacexs-elon-musk
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:

About 80 month is what they are saying
View Quote

That's what I'm paying the Spectrum now for 105 down and 7.4 up.  I need an improvement.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't wait to be able to tell xfinity to go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Signed up for the updates!
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Boatswain:
Hold up there.

Electronically steered phased array terminals cost $20k and way up, I've seen some in the $50k-$70k range.

I'm excited for Starlink but there is no way SpaceX can cut the cost on those terminals in the short term, photos of a mysterious dish notwithstanding.

Musk has been promised full self-driving Tesla's since 2016, he always overpromises. $80 a month without a very expensive terminal is going to be a long way off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/gr6742/at_3400_in_the_aviation_week_interview_elon_musk/

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/space/podcast-interview-spacexs-elon-musk
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Hold up there.

"it will take a few years before the StarLink end user terminal is affordable and is the hardest challenge to solve"

He's using a combination of amortizing the hardware cost to get people into the service and also able to get insane production volumes to drive the cost down too.

Current SATCOM is not a high volume industry. He's going to curbstomp almost everyone right now with this.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:15:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brak] [#14]
I've been stuck at 10Mbps DSL from my rural-serving ISP for 13 years or so.   Once Starlink comes online, they're going to lose EVERYONE in the sticks. They had their chance to invest, innovate and compete, so fuck them with a rusty rebar
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
He's using a combination of amortizing the hardware cost to get people into the service and also able to get insane production volumes to drive the cost down too.

Current SATCOM is not a high volume industry. He's going to curbstomp almost everyone right now with this.
View Quote

It takes time to drive up insane production volumes on exotic tech like phased arrays.

There is no way SpaceX can amortize a $20k terminal and $30m per Starlink launch on $80 a month.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]

It takes time to drive up insane production volumes on exotic tech like phased arrays.

There is no way SpaceX can amortize a $20k terminal and $30m per Starlink launch on $80 a month.
View All Quotes

He's got the terminal designed down to a minimal viable product specifically matched to his constellation. He's also shown, with SpaceX, he's in for the long haul. It's very possible.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:29:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ytka] [#17]
I can't wait. I love where I live, but 3 years of dealing with cellular data plans and data resellers has gotten old. I'm ready for something better. It's gotten to the point where I've been calling Windstream every 6 months trying to get them to provide service. This will absolutely crush all of the other rural providers if it actually works.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

The biggest reason they cost so much is because not many are made.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Assuming that the price is right, I'm really looking forward to that service being available. Right now I'm lucky to get about 6mbps download from my DSL (best option available here... which strangely costs just as much as 100mbps from the same service about 1/2 mile up the road...).

If it's in the same price range or a little more, I'm almost certainly going to be an early adopter.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Hold up there.

View Quote

In contrast to OneWeb, SpaceX is building its user terminals in-house, he said.

“The fact that we are manufacturing this in-house does give us the distinct advantage of being able to offer a very low priced terminal,” Hofeller said. “We do not have pricing at this point, but it is something that we know is critical to making this business successful.”

Electronically steered antennas have the benefit of connecting to two or more satellites simultaneously, but have historically been too expensive for consumers. SpaceX has so far only discussed electronically steered antennas, a technology Hofeller said is “extremely difficult” to build at consumer-ready prices.

SpaceX founder Elon Musk has described Starlink user terminals as looking like a “thin, flat, round UFO on a stick,” with motors to adjust their pointing.https://spacenews.com/oneweb-spacex-optimistic-about-cheap-user-terminals/

Aside from automatically tracking the satellites, the user terminals use phased-array beam-forming and digital processing to efficiently use Ku-band spectrum.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/elon-musks-spacex-now-1-million-starlink-user-terminals-oked-for-us-internet-service/

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#21]
His satellites cost literally like 1/500th hughes nets... You think he can't get a good price on probably 500 million antennas?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#22]
He's got the terminal designed down to a minimal viable product specifically matched to his constellation. He's also shown, with SpaceX, he's in for the long haul. It's very possible.
View Quote

Yes, it is possible but it's not likely. We are talking Elon Musk timeframes here. Like I said, he started tweeting in 2016 about full self driving for Tesla's and it's still just vapor.

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#23]
ESA's really aren't that expensive these days. I've watched the prices drop on them dramatically over the last 5 years. Someone getting into the game and making hundreds of thousands of them will drop that price even further.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:

Yep, I'm at ~80 for shitty 5mb DSl through Centurylink. I'd pony up 100/mo for decent internet when it's available at my place in Florida.
View Quote

Why is your Centurylink so expensive? I get 6mbps from Centurylink for $45.00/mo and I think they advertise up to 100mpbs for $49.00 right now on their website. You might want to look into whether you can renegotiate your service. It won't get you any more speed, but it might save you some money.

@Cobradriver
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, it is possible but it's not likely. We are talking Elon Musk timeframes here. Like I said, he started tweeting in 2016 about full self driving for Tesla's and it's still just vapor.
View Quote

A fully self-driving car is a hell of a lot more complex than most people realize. Much more so than an autonomous aircraft.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:
ESA's really aren't that expensive these days. I've watched the prices drop on them dramatically over the last 5 years. Someone getting into the game and making hundreds of thousands of them will drop that price even further.
View Quote

That production volume is low by several orders of magnitude. Hundreds of millions. At prices like this landlines and fiber area DEAD.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SkyCatII:
Why is your Centurylink so expensive? I get 6mbps from Centurylink for $45.00/mo and I think they advertise up to 100mpbs for $49.00 right now on their website. You might want to look into whether you can renegotiate your service. It won't get you any more speed, but it might save you some money.

@Cobradriver
View Quote

Concur.   I have that same $45 deal.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

I am literally in the industry. I have personally written an RFI response with other industry teammates and their technologies within the last two months to the DoD about LEO/MEO terminals.

A leo ground terminal is probably the easiest part of Starlink. You are going from an order of magnitude of leo/meo antennas of several or hundreds of something (if you're *really lucky* to meet specific DoD requirements) to a commercialized version of the technology, built in-house, to one specific constellation, with an order of magnitude of production quantity that will be in the MILLIONS.

Point of reference He was HALF the launch cost of ULA a decade ago with his Falcon 9.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:51:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redoubt] [#29]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

That production volume is low by several orders of magnitude. Hundreds of millions. At prices like this landlines and fiber area DEAD.
View Quote

I don't think that will be the case. Musk discussed not being able to support areas with really high density population, like large cities. There really isn't a reason to go to satellite in those locations anyway, cost and latency are already low. This is going to be more for areas that are underserved for high-speed, and for businesses that need really low latency, like stock traders.

I'd love to dump Comcast, but I don't think this is the replacement option for me. It will be for my wife's co-worker who's  5 miles away and on HughesNet.

I think it will put downward price pressure on companies like Comcast and TimeWarner, and their service areas will shrink until they're concentrated in core urban areas.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]
If this becomes widespread and affordable this is a real game changer. Will make remote living/telecommuting very viable.

Great thing, if so.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I just ran a test. I'm getting 432/380 on AT&T fiber. I'm paying $61/month for the first year; then it'll go up to $71/month after that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Sure not cities. Still a few billion rural people, businesses and equipment locations
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:04:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boatswain] [#33]
Well, I sure hope I'm wrong and Starlink announce a ground terminal under $1k. It will work real nice for my application.

But I'm not counting on it...
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:05:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DedoBOT] [#34]
This week I will set up at an rural house MESH Wi-fi system connected to 3g/LTE modem. Starlink can be very useful in the case . 3g/LTE is not cheap - 150GB[150mbps Down, 50mbps UP] /$100 monthly , just wonder about Starlink's price ?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Anything attached to Elon Musk is vaporware, but I still signed up to receive updates. Would be nice to have faster internet that 6 down and 1 up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By billth777:

Ya but comcast infrastructure is total shit when it comes to running RDP stuff. WAY too many dropped packets.
View Quote

i have comcast commercial link. worth every penny. there is no competition for that product in my area. ATT is here but not at the same speed.

latency is outstanding, support is very good. when it goes down its fixed quickly.

is my understanding though that consumer grade comcast sucks. cant speak to that from personal experience.

latency will be key for this skynet. lots of folks play games, use vid conferencing and so forth, voip. for that you need low latency. bandwidth counts when downloading/streaming video.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SkyCatII:

@Cobradriver
View Quote

I never realized that. I'll give them a call and see what they can do for me. I always figured the price was the price!!

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By PresidentJ:
Anything attached to Elon Musk is vaporware, but I still signed up to receive updates. Would be nice to have faster internet that 6 down and 1 up.
View Quote

The fuck you talking about? Musks rockets just put astronauts on the space station.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
Yeah. He's got what, like 7 billion potential customers?
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:

I would still maintain my land line for emergency use. The wireless networks are always the first to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Yeah... you’re right. It’s not like he’s managed to completely undercut the entire space launch industry or anything. Total vapor ware.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I pay $155/mo for Fios Gigabit and TV. Love to knock that price down and just get on Verizon for TV.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#44]
11/1 just now for 45$ a month

I'm in ...
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, I sure hope I'm wrong and Starlink announce a ground terminal under $1k. It will work real nice for my application.

But I'm not counting on it...
View Quote

so just bundle the car, terminal, solar array and power wall into one $100k car. or bundle the array with the solar and power wall and simple add it to the cost of the home similar to a pool.

the problem is he should not be trying to bring video games to the mountains. if he only sold to business, the cost wouldn't matter much.

doctors who zoom from big sky can afford whatever the silly antenna cost.  still cheaper than city taxes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:

Yeah... you’re right. It’s not like he’s managed to completely undercut the entire space launch industry or anything. Total vapor ware.
View Quote

And in less then a year he has launched a fifth of all satellites in orbit. At the current launch tempo, without even starship in five years he will have more sattallites then everyone else in the world. Combined.

He is the henry ford of space.

And tesla while fully autonomous is not legal yet can do it. The damn this will autoreturn from a parking lot now for god sakes.

Oh and the company he started because his commute was annoying, the boring company, is completing it's first commercial tunnel..
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

I'm sure those 540 Starlink satellites ALREADY in orbit are imaginary, too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been hearing Starlink is going to be better in less-dense areas, so I'm not sure it will be a viable alternative to the ONE cable provider I have in my neighborhood. That's Suddenlink. It's alright... in 5 years I've had a couple outages of more than a few hours, but generally, it's been reliable.

The biggest issue I had is when my CC was compromised and I had to get a new one through the bank. Suddenlink has NO FUCKING WAY to change your payment method on their website NOR do they have any way to make a single payment online with a CC. I had to call them at least TWICE to get my account corrected and automatic billing set up... and they won't start automatic billing for a month after you change your info, and if you're late on a payment, they stick it to you. Then they want to charge you $10 to make a payment over the phone.

It's like their website and payment systems are stuck in 1998. And I have no alternative, save for AT&T DSL, which is slow AF.

As soon as there's a VIABLE wireless service for residential customers that is cost-competitive, I'll be switching.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I applied to be a beta tester.

I really cant wait till there's competition put on ISPs to provide cheap and fast internet rather than playing on their defacto monopoly.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Hold up there.

View All Quotes
Hold up there.

They aren't all that expensive.

There are in motion systems for satellite tv that use phased array antennas.
~$5k IIRC. Still steep but flatscreen tvs used to start at $12,000.

I really think this will be a game changer. Especially if the price stays reasonable and it is kept "clean" (free of datamining).

While it won't be hugely popular in many markets, it will dominate others (rural, marine and the land based mobile market as well as the developing world).

Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top