BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

True, but to do that, you have to take incalculable Risks.  The game is rigged that way.
View Quote

One of the things I wish I would have understood better when I was younger is that when you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.  Failure doesn't cost much when your broke ass is eating romen in a shithole apartment.

Now with kids I have some level of risk aversion because I can't afford to fuck up.  I wish I had taken some opportunities when I was younger, even if they didn't pan out I would not have lost much int he overall scheme of things.

People think success comes from working hard to attain a goal, when in reality it comes for failing over and over until you get it right.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Oh fucking waaaaaah.  Millennials (a group I may be considered part of depending on the source) are living in one of the most successful periods in American history.  There has never been a better time to be alive.  Period.  If you are miserable today, you are either extremely unfortunate or, more likely, a victim of your own mindset.  All these people I see bitching about how bad it is to be a millennial are living in nice neighborhoods with modern amenities.  They are well fed and have access to world-class healthcare.  

They aren't unlucky.  They are ungrateful.
View Quote

Actually brings up a good point.   Is it “Lucky” to be living in your parents house in a nice neighborhood, with lots of time to play the best Video games while you smoke the best Weed ever devised by the mind of man; to distract yourself from the Child support payments and the fact that you’ll never know the satisfaction of a traditional family, or own a house free and clear?

I honestly don’t know.  As you suggested, it’s a mindset.  
If you’re well fed and cared for, what more could you want?  Right?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been a shit show.  You've got to work with whatever hand you were dealt though.  Seriously, what's the other option, just give up and become a hobo?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm only eyeballing the graph, but it appears to me that we're just slowly regressing toward the mean. A fluke of chance had us walking out of two world wars unscathed and set us on an upward trajectory from 1918-1975.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This one graph says most of what needs to be said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/5IJKDSG4UFHADLHXKXTJUJG3KI.png&w=916

I'm entering my mid-30s, and the economy has been crap for most of my adult life. Even when things like unemployment numbers looked good, wages have been stagnant. The cost of most goods and services has been inflating while salaries have not.

I'm only eyeballing the graph, but it appears to me that we're just slowly regressing toward the mean. A fluke of chance had us walking out of two world wars unscathed and set us on an upward trajectory from 1918-1975.

That graph has every generation since the 1790s.

The millennial generation has experienced weaker GDP growth in early adulthood than any generation in US history.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, it's a cruel joke.

My early gen x parents taught me all these things and I would eventually discover that they we're either outdated, a lie, or outright wrong.

The issue is it was a huge majority of things I learned from, future the past politics economics finances College, all wrong.

The only thing they were correct in was hard work and a 401/IRA

Fucking pathetic.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most of the people I know have good jobs out of college and are doing well.

There are pros and cons to our generation, but overall it's not bad. I think the worst part is that in the US the open hatred of white males is getting pretty blatant, and that sucks.
View Quote

It’s all part of the same shit sandwich.   Governmental and Cultural assault against traditional roles and values, a general dumbing down and coarsening of society.  

A lot of people are lulled into complacency by easy credit and access to cheap entertainment.   They don’t realize how much they’ve lost, Thank God.  
- Some do however; if only on a subconscious level.  And that leads to Liberal/Progressive ideology.

ETA- Fwiw, all the Millennials in my life have done well, or at least OK.   But, they are all more traditional, intelligent and hardworking than average.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The millennial generation has experienced weaker GDP growth in early adulthood than any generation in US history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/5IJKDSG4UFHADLHXKXTJUJG3KI.png&w=916

I'm entering my mid-30s, and the economy has been crap for most of my adult life. Even when things like unemployment numbers looked good, wages have been stagnant. The cost of most goods and services has been inflating while salaries have not.

That, while bad, doesn't even consider how wages decoupled from productivity in the same time frame.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone that thinks they would have been better off being born 100 - 120 years ago is insane.

Millennials currently have the best lifestyle that we've been able to produce thus far on earth. They have more comfort, leisure, and material wealth (in real terms) than any generation that has ever existed. People try to measure stuff with dollars, ignoring the actual conditions of survival that used to be normal that no one has to suffer anymore in the US.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Look at the parents for the reason millennial women suck(resulting in the destruction of the family unit mentioned earlier). These are all learned things. We weren't born lazy and entitled. Ideals(politics) are learned, largely from parents. Non present fathers and unhappy karen mothers result in retard level feminist daughters and weak sons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look it up yourself.....It's one of the few things that both right and left leaning sites tend to agree on. Millennial women seem to be the main culprits. The men in that age group are pretty evenly split between red/blue but a lot of men are MIA and don't vote at all. Sucks but there it is.

Look at the parents for the reason millennial women suck(resulting in the destruction of the family unit mentioned earlier). These are all learned things. We weren't born lazy and entitled. Ideals(politics) are learned, largely from parents. Non present fathers and unhappy karen mothers result in retard level feminist daughters and weak sons.

That does not mean they have to be retards themselves in their voting habits. Voting is a willful exercise one's political franchise, who/what party you vote for is totally up to you.

LOL....My parents (silent generation) certainly did not influence my voting habits, I had more common sense than to vote for dems like they did even at a time when dems were much more conservative when compared to what they have become but I could certainly see where they were headed.....And yep, they got there.  

No, all that "learned" bull-shit is just a excuse for their continued poor choices as adults. They want the .gov in their lives as much as possible and they vote that way, it's really as simple as that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]

The only one that is wrong with the Corvette, it was something else it was something else like a slightly used Buick Electra or a new Nova or falcon
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone that thinks they would have been better off being born 100 - 120 years ago is insane.

Millennials currently have the best lifestyle that we've been able to produce thus far on earth. They have more comfort, leisure, and material wealth (in real terms) than any generation that has ever existed. People try to measure stuff with dollars, ignoring the actual conditions of survival that used to be normal that no one has to suffer anymore in the US.
View Quote
You're not wrong.

That said, isn't that truly part of the issue?  We raised a generation to believe that participation equals success, while changing the definition of success to mean increased standard of living rather than personal achievement.  

No more frontiers.  No more exploration.  No more homesteading.  No more space program (temporarily).

The leftist dream.  Cultivate a generation of people who believe existence is success, placate them with a high enough material standard of living that taking a risk to jeopardize it seems too high, give them access to enough mind altering substances to accept their fate and continue simply existing to support an elite few who know best for everyone.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually brings up a good point.   Is it “Lucky” to be living in your parents house in a nice neighborhood, with lots of time to play the best Video games while you smoke the best Weed ever devised by the mind of man; to distract yourself from the Child support payments and the fact that you’ll never know the satisfaction of a traditional family, or own a house free and clear?

View Quote

We're getting into the REAL answer now. People think suffering is bad. Kids/young adults are more and more sheltered from suffering and therefore are not allowed to grow. In fact, suffering is an inevitable part of life. On the surface it's great; we're not dying of starvation and we have air conditioners.

But people are less and less allowed to live a purposeful life. Go to college. Work in an office for 40 years. Get your first 2 divorces out of the way. Retire and... die???

Is it comfortable? Absolutely. Is this the best life anyone has ever had the opportunity to live? I don't think so.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get the logic of it, I really do.  But it just sounds like a shitty poor person rationalization.    But I can’t escape the old school mentality that the American Dream consists of amassing tangible assets like a House, and leaving a legacy for your 2.5 children and maybe even wife.  
Yeah, I know it’s obsolete thinking.  Heaven is a Starbucks Latte and an Uber ride back to the apartment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We're getting into the REAL answer now. People think suffering is bad. Kids/young adults are more and more sheltered from suffering and therefore are not allowed to grow. In fact, suffering is an inevitable part of life. On the surface it's great; we're not dying of starvation and we have air conditioners.

But people are less and less allowed to live a purposeful life. Go to college. Work in an office for 40 years. Get your first 2 divorces out of the way. Retire and... die???

Is it comfortable? Absolutely. Is this the best life anyone has ever had the opportunity to live? I don't think so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually brings up a good point.   Is it "Lucky" to be living in your parents house in a nice neighborhood, with lots of time to play the best Video games while you smoke the best Weed ever devised by the mind of man; to distract yourself from the Child support payments and the fact that you'll never know the satisfaction of a traditional family, or own a house free and clear?

I honestly don't know.  As you suggested, it's a mindset.  
If you're well fed and cared for, what more could you want?  Right?

Exactly.

I keep going back to a science fiction short story I read as a kid.  I don't know if it was Asimov or what.  Basically, humans invent robots to create a life of leisure.  Robots do dangerous work to prevent humans from being harmed.  Eventually, to prevent people from causing themselves any harm, the robots only allow them to sit around playing with rubber blocks with no sharp edges.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unemployment numbers went down and wages were rising, finally.

Then covid came.  

Part of me wants to think they inflated covid concerns to tank the economy because hillary was supposed to keep us in the shitter so biz could get cheap labor by keeping us thirsty.

Just a thought......
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#19]

LOL.....I always found "Unpaid Internships" a interesting concept. It has to be the most retarded thing to come down the pike in a long time.

I guess the reason "boomers" laugh at them is because it is unfathomable to us work for nothing. I do work....Fuck you pay me.

That said we are also savvy enough to let some poor young putz work for us for nothing......Hell, who knows we might even hire them for minimum wage by and by. Minimum wage you say, well yeah, they worked for nothing so minimum wage is a promotion.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're not wrong.

That said, isn't that truly part of the issue?  We raised a generation to believe that participation equals success, while changing the definition of success to mean increased standard of living rather than personal achievement.  

No more frontiers.  No more exploration.  No more homesteading.  No more space program (temporarily).

The leftist dream.  Cultivate a generation of people who believe existence is success, placate them with a high enough material standard of living that taking a risk to jeopardize it seems too high, give them access to enough mind altering substances to accept their fate and continue simply existing to support an elite few who know best for everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not wrong.

I can't argue with any of that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Exactly.

I keep going back to a science fiction short story I read as a kid.  I don't know if it was Asimov or what.  Basically, humans invent robots to create a life of leisure.  Robots do dangerous work to prevent humans from being harmed.  Eventually, to prevent people from causing themselves any harm, the robots only allow them to sit around playing with rubber blocks with no sharp edges.
View Quote

Haha that's what life is trending towards, with people living with their parents(allowed to...) well into their 20s. You see it with covid too; how terrified these people are to leave their homes. They are happy to stay in their homes(studio apartments) 24/7 and have the Gov ACH in money for delivery food. So comfortable, so miserable.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Exactly.

View Quote

Rogue Servitors.

Where the machine supersedes all responsibility of humankind.

A very peculiar form of not living while being alive.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh fucking waaaaaah.  Millennials (a group I may be considered part of depending on the source) are living in one of the most successful periods in American history.  There has never been a better time to be alive.  Period.  If you are miserable today, you are either extremely unfortunate or, more likely, a victim of your own mindset.  All these people I see bitching about how bad it is to be a millennial are living in nice neighborhoods with modern amenities.  They are well fed and have access to world-class healthcare.  

They aren't unlucky.  They are ungrateful.

Affordable starter housing is out there in decent areas with good jobs.  Cars, while a bit more expensive, are more reliable than ever in history.  If you are living in your parents' house with "lots of time" to play video games and smoke weed then you are 99% of the world's population.  If you could roll some magical dice to get a shot at being born in a different place at a different time you would be absolutely insane to do so.  You would likely end up poor and quite possibly dead by the time you hit 30 with that sort of work ethic.

Our society has given you every opportunity to succeed and you have chosen to spend your time playing games and getting high.  The fact that that is even a viable path in life should tell you how lucky you really are.  You are the victim of your own self-imposed limitations and have no reason to bitch and moan about anything other than your own apathy.  

*When I say "you" I mean the hypothetical person in your scenario.  You could be a self-made millionaire for all I know.  Which is something that anyone born in this country can achieve if they put in the time and effort instead of playing video games, smoking reefer, and lamenting on social media about how they can't afford with little effort what their parents built over a lifetime.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone posted this awhile back, I thought it interesting enough to save.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Rogue Servitors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly.

Rogue Servitors.

Same idea in Dan Simmon's Olympos
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't buy it.   Millennials have more opportunities for vertical movement than any previous generation.   Most of them simply squander that opportunity in favor of YouTube videos and gaming.
View Quote

I don't get why some boomas leave out the other half of that equation

Compete with the world bucko!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Someone posted this awhile back, I thought it interesting enough to save.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/371851/0F779E1E-3491-41D9-B072-979A3656E0C2_jpe-1437558.JPG
View Quote
I look at that chart and I see a plan coming together.

What better way to drain generational wealth and create dependency than convincing everyone to live and exist as long as possible, even if it takes their final dollar and degrades their quality of life further and further, than with our current medical system?  What better way to cement the place of an academic elite than creating a barrier of entry to their ranks that only those selected due to social status or those with true wealth can pierce?

The swamp will never be drained and that chart explains in part why.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LOL.....I always found "Unpaid Internships" a interesting concept. It has to be the most retarded thing to come down the pike in a long time.

I guess the reason "boomers" laugh at them is because it is unfathomable to us work for nothing. I do work....Fuck you pay me.

That said we are also savvy enough to let some poor young putz work for us for nothing......Hell, who knows we might even hire them for minimum wage by and by. Minimum wage you say, well yeah, they worked for nothing so minimum wage is a promotion.
View Quote
That's a big reason I always scoffed at unpaid internships.  

After being on the other side of internships (ours are paid but not well)....

Internships aren't something we use to find employees.  Internships are something we use to get cheap labor from more educated people who aren't quite employable yet at the level their knowledge would suggest.

I work, I get paid.  No pay, no work.  Once you work for free, you stagnate your future profitably because now everyone knows you are cheap.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Lol, they don’t remember the 1970’s do they?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

QFT.  In the same boat.

Worked full time all through college and graduated in 2007. Went through 4 layoffs from 09-13. Even though I'm working in a truely essential industry, water/wastewater treatment, and everyone is sitting at home still needing water, I'm likely to be unemployed by the end of July because I work for a local government that can't see the Forrest through the trees.

Adjusted for inflation, I'm making less than I did in 2012. That's with being in a much more senior position today and having a PE license to my name, which I didn't back in 2012.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

While true, there are still certain advantages for certain groups of people.
- If you pick the right MOS you will have a skill that transfers well and often will get bonuses (I signed a tax free $80,000 reenlistment bonus for a corporal in Iraq in 2008).
- Free college- no going into debt to get whatever degree you want + a monthly BAH stipend if you go full time
-Access to better SBA loans, better VA home loans, and various other long term financial benefits
-You will leave with money in a retirement account. It's not great, but it's something even if you just do 4 years.

Again, you're not wrong but in many cases a smartly done 4 year stint can really set you up for success. Hell, my 21 year old twins both joined the Coast Guard. One already owns his first home, and the other in buying soon. If that's not getting life started on the right foot then I don't know what is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unlucky? If Millennials wanted to successful, they should have joined the military since (literally) their entire adult lives the country has been at war.

The military is a low paying salaried job with no compensation for overtime.

When I was in Iraq, I was working 100+ hours a week, I could count all of my days "off" outside of midtour leave on one hand, and I think I made a whopping $25k the whole year.

- If you pick the right MOS you will have a skill that transfers well and often will get bonuses (I signed a tax free $80,000 reenlistment bonus for a corporal in Iraq in 2008).
- Free college- no going into debt to get whatever degree you want + a monthly BAH stipend if you go full time
-Access to better SBA loans, better VA home loans, and various other long term financial benefits
-You will leave with money in a retirement account. It's not great, but it's something even if you just do 4 years.

Again, you're not wrong but in many cases a smartly done 4 year stint can really set you up for success. Hell, my 21 year old twins both joined the Coast Guard. One already owns his first home, and the other in buying soon. If that's not getting life started on the right foot then I don't know what is.

Eh...

-87% of MOSs don't have skills that translate to the civilian world. Most of those that do are low density. The overwhelming majority of guys that leave the service don't have a skill set that translates to a quality civilian career.
-The GI Bill thing works okay if you make it from enlistment to college grad as a single guy with no dependents. If you get hitched or pick up a child support payment, the road gets a hell of a lot rougher. Most guys don't make that leap.
-Even if you make it, the GI Bill path results in a late start to your career. I ETS'd and started college at 25, and I graduated and started my career at 29. Sure, I had no student debt, but I lost out on 4-5 years of raises and compound interest, and I landed in a situation where my seniors/managers are my age and my peers are younger.

There's also a big quality of life difference between spending your college years in college vs spending them in a shithole then going to college later as a commuter student. I don't regret my path because it's worked out, but it's had major trade-offs, and a lot of the guys that tried what I've done failed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Never met a millennial that didn't hate their job. It's hard to be successful when that's your mindset.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Never met a millennial that didn't hate their job. It's hard to be successful when that's your mindset.
View Quote

I actually love my job.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Really... shit.  I have a undergrad in Mechanical Enigneering (2004) and a Masters Degree (2016) that cost me less than 20K all in.  That is tuition books and fees....

I know some of the 2 year private votech schools are very predatory... but damn that is criminal.
View Quote

I wish I was in the same boat. Graduated undergrad in Civil Eng in 2016, and masters in Civil in 2018. I have a nice student loan debt of over $100K. And that was after I had paid off $20k at community college before I transferred.

I'm not complaining because I am employed and have a good job, but damn does debt suck the life out of me. And I absolutely had to get degrees as mandated by my folks, otherwise I would be ostracized. Again, not complaining because at that age I didn't have the perspective my folks' had, or my own direction. That being said, you're almost better off not going to college these days.

If you can get away with not having federal/ private school loans and make money on Youtube, you should definitely do it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Eh...

-87% of MOSs don't have skills that translate to the civilian world. Most of those that do are low density. The overwhelming majority of guys that leave the service don't have a skill set that translates to a quality civilian career.
-The GI Bill thing works okay if you make it from enlistment to college grad as a single guy with no dependents. If you get hitched or pick up a child support payment, the road gets a hell of a lot rougher. Most guys don't make that leap.
-Even if you make it, the GI Bill path results in a late start to your career. I ETS'd and started college at 25, and I graduated and started my career at 29. Sure, I had no student debt, but I lost out on 4-5 years of raises and compound interest, and I landed in a situation where my seniors/managers are my age and my peers are younger.

There's also a big quality of life difference between spending your college years in college vs spending them in a shithole then going to college later as a commuter student. I don't regret my path because it's worked out, but it's had major trade-offs, and a lot of the guys that tried what I've done failed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unlucky? If Millennials wanted to successful, they should have joined the military since (literally) their entire adult lives the country has been at war.

The military is a low paying salaried job with no compensation for overtime.

When I was in Iraq, I was working 100+ hours a week, I could count all of my days "off" outside of midtour leave on one hand, and I think I made a whopping $25k the whole year.

Eh...

Well, that's why I'm not saying it's always a good idea, and it's not an instant recipe for success- you can absolutely screw it up by choosing a dumb MOS or knocking up a desert rat. (Though there's plus sides to even dumb MOS's0 I never regret going infantry).
I totally disagree about the low density MOS's. Comm is EXTREMELY high density and super easy to get in to if you're not a retard and quite often set you up nicely for a well paying civilian career. Just one example.

There are certainly trade offs, but IMO if you're considering taking a loan to get an education then the trade is almost certainly worth it if you do it right.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Millenials really do get their choice of the fattest, least mentally well women in history. It's sad, millenial women are a cursed generation. As are the men to women, soft, soy-grimmaced losers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Millenials really do get their choice of the fattest, least mentally well women in history. It's sad, millenial women are a cursed generation. As are the men to women, soft, soy-grimmaced losers.
View Quote

We are what you made us...
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I’m a millennial. I’m doing very well.

Don’t be an irresponsible dumb ass.

It’s that simple.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Virgins"

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because your money boosted China’s economy instead of ours, you either MAGA or you don’t.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m worried more about people like that in a few years after they squander what, if anything, they are left and have no parental/enabler support system.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

"Virgins"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Virgins"

Your chances were a damn sight better in the past than they are now.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://ifstudies.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/wolfinger-sex-divorce-table-1.png
View Quote

And that's just womens' answers. Their actual numbers are much higher. 10 lol. They're likely to reach 10 through high school and their first weekend on a college campus.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't buy it.   Millennials have more opportunities for vertical movement than any previous generation.   Most of them simply squander that opportunity in favor of YouTube videos and gaming.
View Quote

I don’t buy it either.

I think one of the main reasons I do not buy it is because with the Internet there is information and opportunities.

Pretty much every job listing is posted online. You can get a college degree online. You can research the job market and cost of living for anywhere in the US. There are all kinds of online articles, highest paying jobs without a degree, with a 2 year degree, with a 4 year degree.

The job market changes, deal with it. Maybe you have to find a better paying job after 2 years without a raise. If you put in the work, the opportunities are still there.

People just want to complain, they want it all right now. Fancy apartment / house, car, phones, computers, TV, Netflix, gaming systems, eating out, etc.

They want to skip the starter house, live large, not save money, not improve themselves. More Internet advantages, learn to do your own repairs, get by on a budget, cook for yourself. But no, nobody even wants to change their own oil. Get a thousand dollar phone every two years. Buy a bunch of crappy Walmart furniture and throw it away every time you move.

I have no sympathy for whiners.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And that's just womens' answers. Their actual numbers are much higher. 10 lol. They're likely to reach 10 through high school and their first weekend on a college campus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://ifstudies.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/wolfinger-sex-divorce-table-1.png

There's a study somewhere about that too. Study cohort was women who had just gotten married and answered their sexual partner count. Decades later the ones still in the same marriage took an updated survey count and a significant number had more sexual partners than the earlier survey but stated no infidelity. Older women had less reason to lie about their past, than their younger selves. At least that was the theory.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:Anyone that thinks they would have been better off being born 100 - 120 years ago is insane.
Millennials currently have the best lifestyle that we've been able to produce thus far on earth. They have more comfort, leisure, and material wealth (in real terms) than any generation that has ever existed.
View Quote

120 years maybe, but only because of the depression.

Born 80-90 years ago? Heck yes you would have been better off.

Those Gens rode the entire post war boom in the U.S. while living a far more free and easy life. Social cohesion, shared values and culture were a thing and no surveillance state tracking and watching their every move.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I’m just here to enjoy the poo flinging

I for one can’t stand these 15 year old, lazy, ipad gaming Millennials with their avocado toasts.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#48]
The immigrants now are smarter and tougher than the   domestic millennials...
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don’t buy it either.

I think one of the main reasons I do not buy it is because with the Internet there is information and opportunities.

Pretty much every job listing is posted online. You can get a college degree online. You can research the job market and cost of living for anywhere in the US. There are all kinds of online articles, highest paying jobs without a degree, with a 2 year degree, with a 4 year degree.

The job market changes, deal with it. Maybe you have to find a better paying job after 2 years without a raise. If you put in the work, the opportunities are still there.

People just want to complain, they want it all right now. Fancy apartment / house, car, phones, computers, TV, Netflix, gaming systems, eating out, etc.

They want to skip the starter house, live large, not save money, not improve themselves. More Internet advantages, learn to do your own repairs, get by on a budget, cook for yourself. But no, nobody even wants to change their own oil. Get a thousand dollar phone every two years. Buy a bunch of crappy Walmart furniture and throw it away every time you move.

I have no sympathy for whiners.
View Quote

And everyone in the world has access to that same information, so there is no competitive advantage. It's actually worse, because using your statement; anyone in the world, or country, can come take a local job that you might have otherwise got.

Yeah you can get a degree online; and it will be absolutely worthless. A 4 year degree has replaced high school as the baseline. You get one if you want a chance; not to stand out.

That's human nature. How was it any different for any other generation? Everyone wants good things now. Boomers started big families when they were younger and didn't have enough money to because they wanted it then.

But I do have a starter house and don't fall into a lot of those traps. I think it mainly comes down to the point I've been making in this thread about parents. I have no complaints being born now, but to say it's a cake-walk because "back in my day" is ignant, as my Platoon Sergeant used to say.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We were raised from children with every single adult in our lives telling us the only way to succeed was with a college degree in literally anything.

Any College Degree = Success
No College Degree = Living under a bridge sucking dick for coke
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget putting yourself in debt to the tune of tens or hundreds of thousands dollars to go to college and get a degree in useless bullshit.

Most of the millennials I know who feel that they're not getting a fair shake at life, are also the same people who make stupid decision after stupid decision and can't figure out why their dumbass though process is fucking them in their own ass.

For example, spending 15 dollars a day on coffee, a nightly bar tab, smokes, pot, new apple laptop every year, new iphone every 6 months, etc.

Who told us we had to go get a useless degree from a 4 year institution? Our boomer parents.

We were raised from children with every single adult in our lives telling us the only way to succeed was with a college degree in literally anything.

Any College Degree = Success
No College Degree = Living under a bridge sucking dick for coke

This is one point where I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for Millennials, because it's true.  Saw it firsthand many times over.  

It is ridiculous to expect 18yos to make intelligent informed decisions about going into $30-80K of non-dischargeable debt for decades.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top