Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2001 11:20:25 AM EDT
Car and Driver magazine recently test-drove the M1A1 Abrahms Main Battle Tank. The link is [url]http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2001/May/200105_feature_tank.xml[/url]

My favorite quote from the report:

I've fired big guns before, stuff like .308s, .454 Casulls, and even two memorable rounds out of a bone-crunching .600 Holland & Holland Nitro Express, the famed elephant gun of English hunters. But none of that prepared me for the almighty Richter-scale recoil of the tank's German-built 120mm smooth-bore cannon. The 65-ton Abrams literally rocked back on its torsion bars and shocks. And the view out the GPS-LOS was a hurricane of dust. I suppose I should say that it was scary, or disorienting, or at least sobering, as when they detonated the first A-bomb in New Mexico and J. Robert Oppenheimer remarked, "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." But what it really was was empowering. The kind of empowering that people like New Ager Deepak Chopra will never understand. And a lot more fun than I'd ever had with pistols and rifles.

Major Johnson had generously arranged six rounds for me to shoot, and by the sixth round I was hooked. But completely. I wanted six more, and I was ready to write a check to cover the cost. I don't know what heroin or biker meth feels like, but if it feels anything like shooting a gun as big as a utility pole accurately enough to shear the mustache off Saddam's face, I had a 120mm monkey on my back.
View Quote

EXCELLENT![8D]

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Car ad driver does dom off the wall reports-they did a test on a huge garbage truck once.  0 to 60 =never
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Wonder what the payments are like on one of those m1a1's?  Maybe if I cut back on the beer...
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a show on Discovery or The History Channel on modern armor a while ago.The Abrams appeared to be a fun mo-chine. They rent 'em?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top