BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An old cemetary away from the nearest little town where I grew up. As teenagers we'd go there at night and read the words on the largest tombstone there. Wish I could remember it, but it was about life and our inevitable death. It would instill fear in all of us that went there.
View Quote
"As you are now, I once was,

As I am now, you shall become"

Or a paraphrase of that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The Supai Indian Village in Supai, Arizona. My wife and I went to see the waterfalls there. It was surreal. It was a very beautiful place. I could not shake the feeling of always being watched and having the feeling of something very evil in the area. Drugs and alcohol are heavily abused on most reservations and this is also the case with the Supai unfortunately, so, it is probably related. We didn't have any issues while there other than someone trying to open the hotel door on the room we were staying at in the village. All of the other tourists seemed very oblivious to what my wife and I were feeling. After speaking with a couple missionaries who worked part time at the church and school there, along with other villages in the area, they had said it was one of the darkest, most beautiful places they have ever visited. We were supposed to spend another night there before hiking out the same way we hiked in but opted instead to eject and took a helicopter ride out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#3]
As I think about it, being on guard duty in the middle of the night at the magazines for the Ft. Dix rifle ranges.

Way the fuck out at the end of Range Road, dark as it is up a cow's ass, no one for miles around, an M1 Garand and three (3) loose rounds.

I was glad when my relief showed up.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Byberry State Hospital in Phila.  When I was going to K9 school, the hospital had been closed because of the ACLU.  We were doing night work, running searches in the abandoned buildings before they were demolished.  We had to go through the basement of every building before we started, because some of the former patients had come back and were living there.  Place was creepy even when it was open, had a definite horror movie castle vibe, but abandoned, no power and psych patients roaming around unspervised?
View Quote

My dad was a security guard near Byberry in the early 70s when he got out of the military. He had quite a few run ins with patients who wondered off especially on full moons.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I expect this to be a long post of my opinions, you don't want em just skip on down.

Some of this stuff and stuff from other creepy threads is people scaring themselves.  As a teenage guy I barely dabbled in this with teenage gals.  Get em scared about a spooky place and they wanted to cuddle cause they were scared.

Athens, ohio and ohio university posts are probably both linked but I am way too lazy to look em up.  I remember walking the pathway the college side of the river had and across a bridge was the psych place that was haunted and closed and whatever else.  People often worked themselves up all by themselves.

I love horror movies and spooky threads and part of it is because now and then I run into something I can't explain and google can't explain.  Some weird weather phenomena can be google explained and I never would have thought it could happen, but with storms coming in and blah blah blah you might get weird shit that does not just instantly make you say tornado.

One thing I give europe and a lot of the rest of the world is they got buildings and weird shit from centuries before the USA was made and what not.  I am 100% not trying to skip native american stuff, just saying the bones in old churches or the roman underground stuff is just from an awfully long time ago.

Some people scare themselves.  Some people are more open to stuff other people will ignore.

I went to the gal's house who hid from the germans during WWII when I was a teenager.  I don't recall anything weird on that and since then there are stories of how this was a lie or exaggerated or whatever.  As a teen male I figure I was not open to being scared easily and honestly would have ignored it til I was about the last one to realize it was a weird scary place.

Whole lot of that happens.  At the same time, whole lotta folks scaring themselves happens as well.

I personally love old buildings and people saying x is haunted or this or that.  I don't go out of my way spending my money to prove anything, but give me something local and permission to go look and I am probably gonna go look.

I am in east tn and it is fun to read of this or that in a holler.  I have sat at my job in a checkpoint down in a holler and watched awesome storm clouds with thunder approach from one side of hill that makes the holler.  Storm went around holler.  I never ever got a drop of rain, I was dressed and ready for downpour when making my rounds.  

One evening I heard metal "slapping" that was weird.  I went all around to try and figure out where a loose piece of metal roof was loose and slapping.  I never found it but I never ran into anything that made me say it was supernatural vs. something I could not see from down on the ground.

Like the thread but I know some of the stuff posted seems like folks cranked themselves up.  Other stuff, like WWII death houses, I figure that exists but have not been there.

I am not saying nothing exists.  I am simply saying some folks can wind themselves up over nothing.  I have done it to my friends when I was younger and had many friends.

As I got to having just a very few friends, I understand not playing games.  But back when, people all played games and those were acquaintances and not true friends.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Old youth prison
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I expect this to be a long post of my opinions, you don't want em just skip on down.

Some of this stuff and stuff from other creepy threads is people scaring themselves.  As a teenage guy I barely dabbled in this with teenage gals.  Get em scared about a spooky place and they wanted to cuddle cause they were scared.

Athens, ohio and ohio university posts are probably both linked but I am way too lazy to look em up.  I remember walking the pathway the college side of the river had and across a bridge was the psych place that was haunted and closed and whatever else.  People often worked themselves up all by themselves.

I love horror movies and spooky threads and part of it is because now and then I run into something I can't explain and google can't explain.  Some weird weather phenomena can be google explained and I never would have thought it could happen, but with storms coming in and blah blah blah you might get weird shit that does not just instantly make you say tornado.

One thing I give europe and a lot of the rest of the world is they got buildings and weird shit from centuries before the USA was made and what not.  I am 100% not trying to skip native american stuff, just saying the bones in old churches or the roman underground stuff is just from an awfully long time ago.

Some people scare themselves.  Some people are more open to stuff other people will ignore.

I went to the gal's house who hid from the germans during WWII when I was a teenager.  I don't recall anything weird on that and since then there are stories of how this was a lie or exaggerated or whatever.  As a teen male I figure I was not open to being scared easily and honestly would have ignored it til I was about the last one to realize it was a weird scary place.

Whole lot of that happens.  At the same time, whole lotta folks scaring themselves happens as well.

I personally love old buildings and people saying x is haunted or this or that.  I don't go out of my way spending my money to prove anything, but give me something local and permission to go look and I am probably gonna go look.

I am in east tn and it is fun to read of this or that in a holler.  I have sat at my job in a checkpoint down in a holler and watched awesome storm clouds with thunder approach from one side of hill that makes the holler.  Storm went around holler.  I never ever got a drop of rain, I was dressed and ready for downpour when making my rounds.  

One evening I heard metal "slapping" that was weird.  I went all around to try and figure out where a loose piece of metal roof was loose and slapping.  I never found it but I never ran into anything that made me say it was supernatural vs. something I could not see from down on the ground.

Like the thread but I know some of the stuff posted seems like folks cranked themselves up.  Other stuff, like WWII death houses, I figure that exists but have not been there.

I am not saying nothing exists.  I am simply saying some folks can wind themselves up over nothing.  I have done it to my friends when I was younger and had many friends.

As I got to having just a very few friends, I understand not playing games.  But back when, people all played games and those were acquaintances and not true friends.
View Quote
Holy shit!

Talk about a stream-of-consciousness dump.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
MLK Blvd at night the city doesn't matter
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Dachau.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I was Sensor NCO at Ramstein Air Base 1998-2000. There were two Hardened Aircraft Shelters in Bravoland which had aircraft accident remains. One had the cockpit and nose area of a C5 that crashed during the Gulf War and one had the remains of the CT43 that crashed in Croatia, killing Commerce Secretary Ron Brown.
Both had active sensors and needed to be tested quaterly, but both were active evdience/investigations scenes and required coordination with base legal to enter.
Both shelters had an unusually colder feeling than other shelters and were uncomfortable to be in. Almost a palatable feeling of loss...dread...tradgedy.
Very weird place to be.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
The House Chamber of the US Capitol.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure about spooky, but this one time the wind was blowing through the attic of this old farm house and it was like, there was a ghost there, but mainly because there was a front moving in I felt a massive shit coming on and forgot all about the ghost.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've stayed there, got stuck in Boston due to a blizzard and it was the only hotel available.  I didn't see any ghosts, but as a 20 something kid staying on the company dime I thought it was a pretty damn nice hotel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This place is pretty creepy at night....my wife and I stayed here, and it is pretty spooky at night

Omni Parker House
I've stayed there, got stuck in Boston due to a blizzard and it was the only hotel available.  I didn't see any ghosts, but as a 20 something kid staying on the company dime I thought it was a pretty damn nice hotel.

I didn't either, but I ran into a guy who went to the sitting area on the 3rd floor and he swore he saw the elevator come to the 3rd floor, doors open and stay open for 2-3 minutes, then doors close and the elevator leave for another floor...……...scared the crap out of him
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Or a paraphrase of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An old cemetary away from the nearest little town where I grew up. As teenagers we'd go there at night and read the words on the largest tombstone there. Wish I could remember it, but it was about life and our inevitable death. It would instill fear in all of us that went there.

Or a paraphrase of that.

Remember friend as you walk by
As you are now so once was I
As I am now you will surely be
Prepare thyself to follow me

or

Reader, Behold! As you pass by,
As you are now, so once was I,
As I am now, so you must be,
Prepare for death and follow me
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin, Ireland. Easily the of the most creepy and fascinating places I've ever been.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Old Bryce mental hospital in northport Al at night
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As I think about it, being on guard duty in the middle of the night at the magazines for the Ft. Dix rifle ranges.

Way the fuck out at the end of Range Road, dark as it is up a cow's ass, no one for miles around, an M1 Garand and three (3) loose rounds.

I was glad when my relief showed up.
View Quote

On guard duty with an M1 Garand?

Approximately how old are you?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My 18 year old small town Minnesota self taking a wrong turn in NYC and ending up in Harlem under an elevated bridge.  Vibrant bums...burning barrels...you get the picture.  Thought that was only in movies.
View Quote

Ummm yeah, listen.  About that?

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]
SE DC Anacostia side 2pm in the summer.  If that doesn't make your asshole pucker you are a tough man.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Pre-Katrina 9th ward
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:11:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The old Montana state prison in Deer Lodge Montana......that place spooked both my wife and I when we toured it.....we cut short the tour when the wife told me..."we need to leave this place....now"
View Quote

Yeah, that place is interesting.  Took the tour on a cloudy, rainy day.  Really spooky for sure.  Especially when you see the gallows.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#22]
The old Joliet Arsenal / Joliet Army Ammunition Plant by me.

The site was built in the 40s for the war effort.  Used to produce artillery shells, mines, bombs, small arms ammunition, TNT, etc.  It was reactivated during the start of the Korean war and then repurposed during the Viet Nam war to produce CBUs, det cord and other priming compounds.  The official closure was sometime in the 80s.

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with a basic WWII arsenal layout, assembly buildings were staged far apart and connected via a conveyor tunnel system.  This served two purposed.  1) made for a harder target from a military air strike as it was spread over several thousand acres.  2) in case of an accidental explosion in an assembly building, the likelihood of a chain reaction is less since the assembly buildings are spaced far apart.

There actually WAS an assembly building explosion a few years after it became operational.

"Though both portions of the plant were designed with safety as a primary concern,[3] at 2:45 a.m. on June 5, 1942, a large explosion on the assembly line at the Elwood facility resulted in 48 dead or missing and was felt as far as Waukegan, Illinois, over 60 miles (97 km) north.[5] Assembly Lines were located in separate buildings which were separated by substantial distances limiting major damage to the facility as a whole.

From a United Press newspaper article written at the time, "Explosion shattered buildings of one of the units of the $30,000,000 Elwood Ordnance plant gave up the bodies of 21 workers Friday. Army officials said 36 more were missing from the blast that could be felt for a radius of 100 miles. Another 41 were injured, five of them critically, from the explosion that leveled a building.... Not one of the 68 men inside the shipping unit when the blast occurred escaped death or injury."

I've biked to many portions on the 40,000 acre site, and many of the bunkers and buildings still stand.  None of this is accessible via vehicle unless authorized.  All gates are closed off for vehicle access.  using satellite images, I'd located cattle guard access points and make my way to the buildings

Walking through them, some are so big that they're even dark inside during the day.  It's creepy enough being in the middle of nowhere all by yourself exploring old buildings but when your senses start tingling, it's worse.

One day I'd decided to explore a somewhat larger section.  It was a 15 mile bike ride on an MUP and hard pack to get to the main warehouse on the assembly line I was going to check out.  I get there, and start exploring early on an afternoon.  

This particular portion of the site had a warehouse located on the front end, and I'd planned to work my way all the way down through it and the assembly buildings via the conveyor tunnels.  The warehouse was the typical damp, dark and cool building.  small rooms set on the sides which were offices of some sort.  off at the end of the warehouse toward the assembly buildings, there was a long hallway with office doors on either side and completely dark.  I opened the doors and checked each one out with my light.  Kinda exciting to open each door and not knowing what each room might have to offer cool or otherwise.  After making my way through the offices, the end opened up into the first of several assembly rooms.

The assembly rooms were somewhat brighter due to the series of cantilever windows on each side.  Not much to see in there, just a big empty room.  Keep in mind that this area is situated a good few miles away from anything.  The silence can be unnerving...but what's worse are the sounds within the buildings as the cooler temps of the evening make them groan, creak and bump.  Not sure which one I'd rather have, the silence or the sounds.

So now I come upon one of the raised conveyor tunnels  I've estimated many of these at 500 yards in length, 9' wide and 9' tall, and you can barely see all the way from end to end.  off to the side of the conveyor itself and still within the tunnel is a small walkway.  This was obviously used for servicing the conveyor system which was comprised of a huge overhead chain with hook points every 6'-8'.  Below the conveyor chain was a trolley rail on which wheeled carts sat on and in turn would hold a single artillery shell.  large cog motors at either end would move the armament along the conveyor system.

Anyway, I come to the start of the conveyor.  It's fairly well lit with a transom window every ten feet or so.  I can BARELY make out what looks like the other end.

I begin working my way through, late afternoon sun getting lower...the subtle noises as things begin to cool off.  I'm already running later than I should, since I need to go back the way I came after all.  The tunnel floor is the typical mess with wild animal scat, mold, dirt, etc. spread about.  The conveyor workings are rusty with cobwebs and a good amount of dust and old mildew about.  on the ceiling of the tunnel about a foot above the conveyor chain is old conduit and piping.  The lights every 8 feet or so obviously haven't worked in a while, not because the majority of the conduit is falling down and wires hanging out, but this place has been abandoned for years.

As I make my way through, I turn around to give the tunnel entry point a cursory glance, nothing really unnatural about doing that.

Working further in, maybe 200 yards down the tunnel I glance back again.  This time, something's different.  Something just doesn't seem the same.  

All those other glances back, your brain typically burns an image.  It knows what it's seeing after a while.  The thing is, consciously nothing looked different to my eyes.  My brain though, I think it had a misfire with that image of what I've been looking back at for the last couple hundred yards...because something just...wasn't...right.

Now I'm not one to usually let fear take hold.  You just push through that shit.  I had to keep telling myself that its just the brain playing tricks and there's nothing to worry about.

After considering it all, I continue on.  Doesn't matter if I turn back right now anyway, because I STILL need to go back the way I came.  Back...there.

I press on, making it to the next assembly building which is quite a bit darker than the one on the upstream side of the tunnel.  The sounds, it's really cooling off now...the sound of metal relaxing and popping, sometimes sounding like a door closing or someone dropping a heavy object somewhere.

Time to go back, I need to make good time.  Even once out of here, I have 15 miles to ride back on my bike.

I make my way to the tunnel again and look back toward the end from which I came.  Nothing of course from what I can barely see.  There's no way to tell if anything is out of place anyway from that distance.  I begin the 500-yard walk back along the darkening tunnel, my mind done playing tricks.

I'm pretty carefree now as I walk the tunnel back, admiring the chain and trolley system and imagining what it was like when it was actually in operation...shells marching like soldiers toward another assembly room to have another part affixed to them or what not.  It must have been loud in there, with the chain cogging along and the trolley cars humming along.  Quiet now of course...except the distant thuds and bumps of course.

Still admiring the old equipment, about 100-150 yards back in, I notice something out of place laying above the conveyor chain up ahead.  As I move closer to it while making my way through the dust and animal messes, I see that it's one of those folding multi-step stepstools.  Hmm, that's weird.  Above it, just like the rest of the tunnel ceiling is the broken and drooping conduit.  

As I get to that part of the tunnel, I reach up and pull the stepstool down for a closer look.  the stool is rickety, but that's not what caught my attention.  everything else is a dirty mess, but the stool is free of cobwebs or dust.  This thing was absolutely clean as if it was just placed there yesterday.  I put two and two together, and that's when I realize why all the conduit is sagging and wires are pulled out.  Somebody has been here and very recently, pulling copper wire.  Last week?...Today?....NOW??.

The second the realization popped into my head, the hackles on my neck stood up.  Looking both ways in the tunnel, I had to go one way or the other.  I remember backing up against the walkway wall and standing there for a couple minutes as I looked slowly back and forth toward both ends of the tunnel.  This time I WAS making a conscious mental image, not just my mind making a subconscious one.  I let my imagination take hold, and thought of the long hallway in "The Shining"...then the corridor in "aliens".  

I let out a small laugh at myself for thinking about that stuff, enough to make myself jump a little.  Brushing off any more thoughts, I worked my way back the way I came.  It was a tense trip back to the front warehouse, and I didn't bother looking in any of the office doors that were all still cracked open.  I didn't want to come face to face with a couple tweaker copper thieves with nothing to lose..  I tried to not use my light on my way back past them, but it was far too dark in there to make a pass through without at least my hand over the end to subdue it.

Back out to my bike, I rode back home at dusk.  I had goose bumps the entire bay back, and was able to really laugh about the whole thing once home.

I'd love to do it again sometime soon if anyone wants to join me, lol.

Here's a couple pictures of some areas.  I should start a thread some day.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I took the wrong exit and wound up in East St. Louis.

Never again.
View Quote

LOL!

I did that once, but it was into Bedford Styverson (sp)?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The House Chamber of the US Capitol.
View Quote

Working my way through the hood late at night.
On foot and unarmed by means of stealth only.
Had to make it to the interstate by daylight.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Ethiopia, on a Humanitarian mission, Had a Who/CDC team we'd Hello in to meet with local village dealing with an Ebola out break damn you would throw chunks the first and maybe the second time you went ashore.

First Bird had SF which seccured the fencing that funneled the people needing to see the doctors, translator explained that you would stay in your line and not try to push past to one ahead.  
Second Bird with the doctors, each had one staff one SF assigned to them so like a Nurse Some kind of Loigst, Medical Aid And the SF Guy who was meant to keep people claimant in line.  
3rd bird Put down part of the ships security force,  We lined both sides of the 10 year funnel leading to the med exam.  Local Police Maintained the pile of citizens waiting to get in the funnel fencing.

Easy ROA, they start rushing the medical facility or an infected starts loosing it in the Exam ... SF Hot them and a small team or local police helped move the body to be burned, if the crowd remained calm the keep it moving nut to but man that man in front of you smile .

2nd ROA was a bitch if the crowd starts tho riot, the SF were to form up and get their personal on a hello, and launch them back to the ship, then they formed up with us and we were told if the SF started firing Do as they do.

I pulled 2 of those missions, scary as shit.  Bleeding eyes , lessons on their face and body, and know it only takes one to get to you ....... Thank GOD they never got out of control.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My immigrant ancestor lived there long before the witch nonsense.
View Quote

Really?

What time frame?

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:39:25 AM EDT
[#27]
One time, my best childhood friend, my father, and I stumbled across a "camp-site" in the woods across the road from where I lived in the time.  i couldn't place it, but I was glad when we left the area.  There was "something" there that made me feel very unwelcome.  The best I can figure is that some sort of Satanic worship or something had been going on there in the recent past.

As others have wrote, my in-laws' house certainly has that spooky feel to it.  It has always been more dark than any other house in the Subdivision at night.  This is before my wife, her sisters, her niece and nephew talked about some of the crazy stuff to happen in this house - stuff like one of the classmates my wife went to school coming up to her and asking if she lived in that house and if she had seen anything weird.  When she said yes she was and no she hadn't seen anything, he answered, "Oh, you will."  Recently, my wife asked if I was willing to sell our home, move into that house and live there rent-free until it sold, and then find another home, I told her nope.  

The scariest as in a definite fear of one's life?  That one is easy, being in a Mazda 3 with a Kurdish coworker and another white coworker and making a wrong turn trying to get to the Interstate in Detroit at night.  All three of us collectively said, "Oh, shit!," when we realized what we had done. We're talking about one of those streets with no streetlights working, everything dark, and people sitting in their cars that weren't running waiting on something and someone.  I told the driver not to stop until we got onto an interstate, any interstate and unassed that area because we weren't going be able to outrun anything in that go-cart.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I’ve not been, but I’ve been listening to podcasts on haunted places lately...

“Leap castle” seems haunted if anything ever was...
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’ve never understood “creepy.”

Dark, musty, sure.

“Creepy” is a feeling you assign to things.
View Quote

Damn you're so tough.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Remember friend as you walk by
As you are now so once was I
As I am now you will surely be
Prepare thyself to follow me

or

Reader, Behold! As you pass by,
As you are now, so once was I,
As I am now, so you must be,
Prepare for death and follow me
View Quote
Thank you for rescuing me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

On guard duty with an M1 Garand?

Approximately how old are you?
View Quote
This happened in February or March 1957.

Don't remember which.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Really?

What time frame?

View Quote
1636 on.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This happened in February or March 1957.

Don't remember which.
View Quote

That makes sense....My dad was in Korea...Got out in 1953.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top