Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2001 10:03:07 AM EDT
IVE BEEN PLAYING WITH AR'S IN THE ARMY FOR 13 YEARS AND FINALLY BOUGHT MY OWN. IT IS A COLT AR-15A2 SPORTER II PREBAN. THE QUESTION I HAVE IS THE FRONT TAKE DOWN PIN ON THIS RIFLE IS TWO PIECES THAT SCREW TOGETHER. THE REAR TAKE DOWN PIN IS THE SAME IM USED TO ON MILITARY RIFLES. HOW DO I PUT A REGULAR TAKE DOWN PIN ON THE FRONT AND IS THIS "SCREW TOGETHER PIN STANDARD ON CIVILIAN AR'S? ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED. BY THE WAY, I ONLY PAID $750 FOR THE COMPLETE RIFLE. NO SEAR BLOCK,WITH BAYO LUG AND FLASH SUPPRESOR...DID I GET A GOOD DEAL?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#1]
First toggle that caps lock. In net etiquette, it means that you are yelling at those you wish to address.

Now with that said, congratulations on your new rifle! IIRC, there is a sleeve that you can buy from Bushmaster that can convert it into a small push pin like what BM has. I think that you might have to drill the detent pin though.

riddler
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not know about colt but the screw together pin is not standard on bushmasters.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes that front pin is "screwed" on all preban colt sporters.  I've owned several and my current is the same way.  The Bushmaster websight and catalogue that you can download has a pin to replace the double screw for Colt Sporters, if you choose to do so..But in all candor, it sounds like your upper reciever is post ban..Mine has flash suppressor on a 16" barrel and I believe it has a bayo lug [although I've never paid attention as I've never had a need to install a bayonet] [heavy]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry about the caps lock. For those of us that hunt and peck, its alot easier. As far as I know, postban uppers dont have bayo lugs or flash suppresor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
You won't be able to put a standard front takedown pin on a Colt sporter as it is not drilled for the detent and spring. The best you can do is get one of those front takedowns with the the ball detent on the pin itself.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You have a pre-ban upper.

Go here [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html[/url] to verify that your lower is also pre-ban.  If so, you got a great deal!

Fulton Armory [url]http://www.fultonarmory.com/[/url] has the pivot pin that Imbrog|io mentioned.  I have one on two of mine and it works fine.  Fulton is also becoming more AR oriented and has tons of accessories.

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top