BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Razzman1:
I'm always amazed how bent out of shape some people get in these threads at the word 'overlanding.'  I don't get it. 'You whippersnappes can't call it overlanding, cuz I did it with grand dad's Suburban back in ought-8, and we just called it camping!'

It's just camping, guys.  Some with more equipment, some with less.  If people want to call it overlanding, then who cares?  The term has been around as long as there has been cars--probably before that.  I love watching the 4XOverland videos done by Andrew St. Pierre White (SP?).  Most of his trips are in Africa and Australia, and are pretty damn cool.
View Quote

Some people think cultural appropriation of the British Empire is obnoxious, but I rather like it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
We explore. Overlanding is the new term for camping/ car camping. Its great if you have a family or not it's just 2 of us but we have dogs and I like to disconnect and unplug in the mountains.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Goodn:
I wouldn't say its an over lander.  One of these days I will find a 4wd one to build up.  But I do take this all sorts of places.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/20190715_212715_jpg-1422894.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/20190713_144221__1__jpg-1422895.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/20190901_190434__1__jpg-1422898.JPG
View Quote

That came out great.    
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tim_the_enchanter:
I have been looking in to overlanding as well. I've done a lot of tent camping. I enjoy off roading in the southwest. I've been considering a small overlanding trailer set up with a rooftop type tent. I'm the type that would prefer to trailer in to NP or BLM land, set up a base camp then go trail riding/exploring. As I have been doing it, I unload everything from my pickup and set it all up. A self contained trailer set up appeals to my style. 

Edit;

A vehicle mounted rooftop tent is a hard no for me. You must break it down every time you want to leave your camp. 
A popup camper would be fine, but not suitable for some of the trails that take you to dispersed camp sites. 
View Quote

We have a 16' RV (total length 19') and pretty much do exactly what you mentioned.  We have camping gear and if we want to go off for a day or two somewhere we just leave the RV, come back and have a nice shower and a shitter.  As I get older, sleeping on the ground and carrying a 70lb ruck 5-10 miles a day is less and less appealing.  Used to love doing that.  Now?  Give me a nice bed, all the storage i need for fishing, hunting and ... whatever else and i'm happy.

My old man does it via a truck camper.  He can get into tighter spaces than I can, but with not by much.  With a small trailer, it's really manageable to get into tight areas, fire roads, etc.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Who makes the tent?
View Quote

Tepui
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By UH_SALT_RIFLE:

Tepui
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UH_SALT_RIFLE:

Who makes the tent?

Tepui

Thanks, they look to be top quality.

Can anyone else advise on other tier 1 options for an F-150?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Bike and trailerAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Been working on my overlanding rig since February,  so far all I've done is lifted an xj.

https://i.imgur.com/NYXAvcl.jpg

But that was the slow, painful part.  The mods should start moving faster now.

I'm not doing a RTT, and a fridge will have to wait for next year.

So pretty much car camping with a 4x4.

I'm actually building it as my bugout/boogaloo vehicle.  

I have a theory that the current craze is a way for people to step into prepping without feeling like a crazy person hording 55 gallon drums of baked beans.
View Quote
I like the overlanding concept.

But it really is just car camping in a 4x4 with an emphasis on off-roading.

The reason I like the idea is more due to liking a well appointed rig for things and I like to tinker.

If I was willing to throw more $ at the problem, I'd have a much more dedicated rig.  When I run out of other projects maybe I'll start building the ideas I have.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By juan223:

Did you make those drawers?  I have an HZJ73 that I think I'll have to have custom made,  cannot seem to find any made for it.   
View Quote

Yup. Made them myself. Wood from Lowes and heavy duty slides from online somewhere. Pretty inexpensive, and a couple days after work worth of time.  I am no Carpenter, and they are well within the capabilities of a hack like me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Very nice rig. I have an early version of the fold down gate table on mine. I’m totally jealous of your pull out cutting board. Neat idea!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#13]
This guy set up his Tacoma for minimal cost.

Overland Truck Camping Setup for UNDER $200 Dollars!!! | Toyota Tacoma
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#14]
We have a JK Jeep and a Kakadu Camping tent trailer. We always like to explore once we get to a spot so a roof top tent would have been a pain in the ass. Have taken the family to some amazing spots and that's what it's all about. Internationally overlanding is bad ass. Here? IMO hipsters and the gram have killed it and it's all about having the look and taking pictures of how cool you are.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#15]
https://cascadiatents.com/

These are also well regarded.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a colorado zr2 short bed.  I am more of a trout bum than overlander.  I camp to sleep and am on the water otherwise as much as possible.  I thought a roof tent would be a good choice for that but am wondering if climbing in and out  is going to end up annoying me.   I am 6-2 and mid 40s.   Any thoughts to those that have them?  Any recommendations for a tent that fits over a 5 ft bed and is 12 inches tall or less so it fits in a garage?  I have a bedrack already installed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ffcol:
I have a colorado zr2 short bed.  I am more of a trout bum than overlander.  I camp to sleep and am on the water otherwise as much as possible.  I thought a roof tent would be a good choice for that but am wondering if climbing in and out  is going to end up annoying me.   I am 6-2 and mid 40s.   Any thoughts to those that have them?  Any recommendations for a tent that fits over a 5 ft bed and is 12 inches tall or less so it fits in a garage?  I have a bedrack already installed.
View Quote

Mid 40s here, And it’s rare that I don’t have to get up once in the middle of the night. I don’t think I would like a rooftop tent.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a colorado zr2 short bed.  I am more of a trout bum than overlander.  I camp to sleep and am on the water otherwise as much as possible.  I thought a roof tent would be a good choice for that but am wondering if climbing in and out  is going to end up annoying me.   I am 6-2 and mid 40s.   Any thoughts to those that have them?  Any recommendations for a tent that fits over a 5 ft bed and is 12 inches tall or less so it fits in a garage?  I have a bedrack already installed.
View Quote

I’ll have to measure mine closed to see how it is folded. I did add a 3” piece of memory foam to my existing mattress for added comfort. I’m 6’  and 41 and have had no issues. Most any of the 2+ person tents should fit a 5ft bed. I have a 6ft bed on the Tacoma but you may have to place it tailgate exit to get your side window supports in (metal rod that flexes and holds the awning for the window open) I have trouble with one because it’s too close to the roof.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Razzman1:

Mid 40s here, And it’s rare that I don’t have to get up once in the middle of the night. I don’t think I would like a rooftop tent.
View Quote

If you look at my pics there is a lower room you can add to the bottom of the tent. You can put a camp toilet in there, change, whatever. I just get up and piss in a large mouth Gatorade bottle if I’m super lazy, but usually just step outside and piss in the wild. I’m 41 so I know what you’re saying. It’s not that bad.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Have a RTT on a set of Yakima flush mount bed bars on my SCREW F150. Couple Action Packer boxes full of kitchen and camp gear and a Lifetime Yeti knockoff.

Mostly use it hunting National Forest land, but I’ve done some overland trips in WV with the Yota crew from VA.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Who makes the tent?
View Quote

Tepui

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#22]
There are some really nice set-ups in this thread, I wish there was a like button.  I've been car camping my whole life.  "Overlanding" seems to have been made popular by Expedition Overland (who I watch all the time) more than anyone, but it's just vehicle based travel with a new flashy name.  While I agree it's taken off with the Instagramers it's something a lot of us have been doing for a long time.  You don't need to spend a fortune to do it, but if you're a car/truck guy, and are into camping and exploring, it can become a pretty expensive hobby.  

He are some pics from a trip I did with some friends a couple months ago.  We did the Georgia Traverse West to East in February.  I drove my new GX460, my buddy drover my old build, the FJ, and a couple other buddies brought their 4Runners.  Great trail ride and some very nice camping and we even got snowed on a couple days which was cool for us Florida boys.

If anyone here is planning to hit Overland Expo East, hit me up.  I had a good time up there last year and even got to meet Clay from XO and all the guys from Mountain State Overland, all very nice dudes. Happy camping!

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Getting ready for the WRT in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Thanks, they look to be top quality.

Can anyone else advise on other tier 1 options for an F-150?
View Quote

Tier 1 RTTs are

Autohome (handmade made in Italy)
Eezi-Awn, Alu Cab and Howling Moon (handmade in South Africa)
James Baroud (made in Portugal)

I believe there might be a few smaller companies in the US that make some tents. The others are pretty much all the same and made in the same factory in China. These are usually copies of the ARB Simpson II and III tents. I’m not knocking them as they are pretty affordable for most people.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

I'm 39 and have back and knee issues. Getting in and out of the tent isn't a big deal, it's just a short ladder.  Being that you're climbing off a bed rack, it'll be even less of a problem.  The upside to a RTT is that if it rains you don't have to worry about a wet camp site, or flooding.  

For your needs, a hardshell RTT would probably be best.  I'm not aware of a soft RTT that is under 12 inches tall.  I'm in the process of switching from a soft RTT to a hard RTT due to the ease of set up and break down myself. The hardshell RTTs take a minute or two to set up and are far slimmer.  The biggest hurdle for most folks is the cost.  Hardshell RTTs can be very expensive.  Soft RTTs can be had for $800 from Smittybilt and I've had mine for a few years and it's been perfect, the hard version will just save me a ton of time.

Roofnest Falcon

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

Why not just carry lighter, more simple gear and do it on the ATVs?

On one trip, we had two people on ATVs with racks, and two people on sport ATVs without racks, so we carried camp for four people on two ATVs.  It isn't hard.
View Quote

Comfort and range are the two biggest issues.  Hauling enough fuel to cover everything is a problem.  The other issue is hauling enough gear to be comfortable.  
Yeah we can skimp and go more primitive but it's not what we're going for.  First world problems, I know
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By prerunner221:

I'm 39 and have back and knee issues. Getting in and out of the tent isn't a big deal, it's just a short ladder.  Being that you're climbing off a bed rack, it'll be even less of a problem.  The upside to a RTT is that if it rains you don't have to worry about a wet camp site, or flooding.  

For your needs, a hardshell RTT would probably be best.  I'm not aware of a soft RTT that is under 12 inches tall.  I'm in the process of switching from a soft RTT to a hard RTT due to the ease of set up and break down myself. The hardshell RTTs take a minute or two to set up and are far slimmer.  The biggest hurdle for most folks is the cost.  Hardshell RTTs can be very expensive.  Soft RTTs can be had for $800 from Smittybilt and I've had mine for a few years and it's been perfect, the hard version will just save me a ton of time. 

Roofnest Falcon

https://photos.smugmug.com/Chevrolet-Colorado-V8/i-Z4LZzdc/0/X2/IMG_2830-X2.jpg
View All Quotes

I'm 39 and have back and knee issues. Getting in and out of the tent isn't a big deal, it's just a short ladder.  Being that you're climbing off a bed rack, it'll be even less of a problem.  The upside to a RTT is that if it rains you don't have to worry about a wet camp site, or flooding.  

For your needs, a hardshell RTT would probably be best.  I'm not aware of a soft RTT that is under 12 inches tall.  I'm in the process of switching from a soft RTT to a hard RTT due to the ease of set up and break down myself. The hardshell RTTs take a minute or two to set up and are far slimmer.  The biggest hurdle for most folks is the cost.  Hardshell RTTs can be very expensive.  Soft RTTs can be had for $800 from Smittybilt and I've had mine for a few years and it's been perfect, the hard version will just save me a ton of time. 

Roofnest Falcon

https://photos.smugmug.com/Chevrolet-Colorado-V8/i-Z4LZzdc/0/X2/IMG_2830-X2.jpg

Wife and I are currently debating the whole RTT thing.
Hardshell versus soft versus ARB awning with sides versus continuing to use the ground tent we already have.
Truck is a 4 door shortbed Tacoma with a shell and Prinsu rack on it.

My biggest concern about a RTT is having that much weight up high.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We did the Georgia Traverse West to East in February.  I drove my new GX460, my buddy drover my old build, the FJ, and a couple other buddies brought their 4Runners.  Great trail ride and some very nice camping and we even got snowed on a couple days which was cool for us Florida boys.
View Quote

I am leading a group of about 10 rigs in mid June East to West.  my friends and I regularly do ONF, Citrus, Croom... Ill keep an eye out for your GX! nice rig btw.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By stampkolektor:

I am leading a group of about 10 rigs in mid June East to West.  my friends and I regularly do ONF, Citrus, Croom... Ill keep an eye out for your GX! nice rig btw.
View Quote

I'm in ONF shooting at the range at least once a week, and lead groups through Citrus a few times a year.  It's going to be hot up there in June, but the scenery will be really nice, and everything should be open.  I'm sure you probably have it already, but if not, download Gaia GPS and go to the Georgia  Overland site for the waypoints.  It made our trip a lot easier.  

https://www.georgiaoverland.com/georgiatraverse.html#

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#30]
A lot of that Georgia Traverse looks familiar.  Does it cross the Tallulah River?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
A lot of that Georgia Traverse looks familiar.  Does it cross the Tallulah River?
View Quote

yes, the crossing is almost a "rite of passage" of the Georgia Traverse

https://youtu.be/YdEewXj-C34
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Y'all see the new RTT design from Redtail Overland?

I have a friend with an RTT, we hit up BIBE a couple years ago. That's not for me. I had my Marmot Tungsten with Sea to Summit mattress set up just in the same amount of time he had his CVT done. Plus I'm the exploring type, I'd hate to tear the RTT down after setting it up. Has its advantages, but not for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By LostX:
Y'all see the new RTT design from Redtail Overland?

I have a friend with an RTT, we hit up BIBE a couple years ago. That's not for me. I had my Marmot Tungsten with Sea to Summit mattress set up just in the same amount of time he had his CVT done. Plus I'm the exploring type, I'd hate to tear the RTT down after setting it up. Has its advantages, but not for me.
View Quote

I’ve never heard of red tail overland. Those tents look nice and prices don't seem too bad either.??
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm thinking i need one of those SA trailervans to pull behind this.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

sarcastic-ok.gif I doubt many people have been to the arctic while "overlanding". I took an 89 Dodge Lancer Shelby there. It was awesome, although my favorite part was Glacier NP on the way back. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aZCLVKMDQk
View Quote

@killingmachine123

Watched your videos on the trip. Looks like a great trip.

If they open the fucking border with Canada soon I’m leaving for a trip with my oldest son up the Dmepster Highway.

Taking my “overland rig”. Which happens to be just my truck with nothing special.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#36]
There are some really nice set-ups in this thread, I wish there was a like button.  I've been car camping my whole life.  "Overlanding" seems to have been made popular by Expedition Overland (who I watch all the time) more than anyone, but it's just vehicle based travel with a new flashy name.  While I agree it's taken off with the Instagramers it's something a lot of us have been doing for a long time.  You don't need to spend a fortune to do it, but if you're a car/truck guy, and are into camping and exploring, it can become a pretty expensive hobby.  

He are some pics from a trip I did with some friends a couple months ago.  We did the Georgia Traverse West to East in February.  I drove my new GX460, my buddy drover my old build, the FJ, and a couple other buddies brought their 4Runners.  Great trail ride and some very nice camping and we even got snowed on a couple days which was cool for us Florida boys. 

If anyone here is planning to hit Overland Expo East, hit me up.  I had a good time up there last year and even got to meet Clay from XO and all the guys from Mountain State Overland, all very nice dudes. Happy camping!

View Quote

I'm very interested in your GA Traverse trip.  I'm in north FL, and a buddy of mine and I have been thinking about doing it this fall.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#37]
yes, the crossing is almost a "rite of passage" of the Georgia Traverse

https://youtu.be/YdEewXj-C34
View Quote

Oh, hell.  That looked easy.  I did it the hard way.  Solo.  

Tallulah River Crossing on a Yamaha WR250R
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#38]

I have a friend with an RTT, we hit up BIBE a couple years ago. That's not for me. I had my Marmot Tungsten with Sea to Summit mattress set up just in the same amount of time he had his CVT done. Plus I'm the exploring type, I'd hate to tear the RTT down after setting it up. Has its advantages, but not for me.
View Quote

I have a Gazelle T4 and setup and breakdown is a breeze. Cant do an RTT anyway, cause I value the space on the roof for storage.

Speaking of roof racks, pretty cool concept:

https://www.dropracks.no
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#39]
There are some really nice set-ups in this thread, I wish there was a like button.  I've been car camping my whole life.  "Overlanding" seems to have been made popular by Expedition Overland (who I watch all the time) more than anyone, but it's just vehicle based travel with a new flashy name.  While I agree it's taken off with the Instagramers it's something a lot of us have been doing for a long time.  You don't need to spend a fortune to do it, but if you're a car/truck guy, and are into camping and exploring, it can become a pretty expensive hobby.  

He are some pics from a trip I did with some friends a couple months ago.  We did the Georgia Traverse West to East in February.  I drove my new GX460, my buddy drover my old build, the FJ, and a couple other buddies brought their 4Runners.  Great trail ride and some very nice camping and we even got snowed on a couple days which was cool for us Florida boys. 

If anyone here is planning to hit Overland Expo East, hit me up.  I had a good time up there last year and even got to meet Clay from XO and all the guys from Mountain State Overland, all very nice dudes. Happy camping!

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/94149132_10158272279644494_6086511177225994240_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_oc=AQmvibnSz4qNKBmrBdXBI_Yl9EqIl-mrzwCdWsTWSRZYERIIhS0-ByxFFNh2n_uwsls&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&oh=269f7912bec3641dfe6cf87dca816301&oe=5EEA7706

https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/89202377_10158090829379494_1749007869451173888_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_oc=AQnaEP3kLx0vR_q2_BO4RyClD26I-f_erGf6jf8u85ap5g4p4dtCoPw1Ko8Ppj388mU&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.fna&oh=47bdd27cc9daa09df914e63d5663fff4&oe=5EE8CA95

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/89097660_10158090826009494_9216327607589535744_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_oc=AQlXE9s3e0fNQPm_3MDnLHwW-FQSSDAg0xcwm25kA5r8WvWM3SjqvmxHvATSbW6feyM&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&oh=d74b15f6e7ff97871c512acbaa27bcda&oe=5EEB26D9

https://scontent.ftpa1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/89118940_10158090828699494_2992467121448943616_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_oc=AQnQVCyXl6tXKbIsxBPlJE3N4gMSdwgKK0g3BkmWGuSN2R7BHleeuRKjWqctLMHlQBU&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.fna&oh=0afe752b2cc932fd30c8c96b0e68fb65&oe=5EE95BF9

https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/81090056_10157904492529494_3697556930177269760_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_oc=AQnPZaAYVa2bOMwAF8HWcjSXUsFxm_2gvagMkDYq4yi-ZldnHoHqhLlKjku9nlmXeps&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.fna&oh=ccb2326ae218dee46d4fd767fc63a88a&oe=5EE79BAC
View Quote

Have you found a rear bumper solution for the 460 yet?

Asking for a friend...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By dupemaster:

Have you found a rear bumper solution for the 460 yet? 

Asking for a friend... 
View Quote

Dobinsons

Kaymar

Metal Tech

Costal Off Road

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#41]

I have a Gazelle T4 and setup and breakdown is a breeze. Cant do an RTT anyway, cause I value the space on the roof for storage. 

Speaking of roof racks, pretty cool concept:

View All Quotes

I have a Gazelle T4 and setup and breakdown is a breeze. Cant do an RTT anyway, cause I value the space on the roof for storage. 

Speaking of roof racks, pretty cool concept:

Those dropracks look like a perfect solution to my bad back.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@killingmachine123

If they open the fucking border with Canada soon I'm leaving for a trip with my oldest son up the Dmepster Highway.

Taking my "overland rig". Which happens to be just my truck with nothing special.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sarcastic-ok.gif I doubt many people have been to the arctic while "overlanding". I took an 89 Dodge Lancer Shelby there. It was awesome, although my favorite part was Glacier NP on the way back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aZCLVKMDQk

@killingmachine123

If they open the fucking border with Canada soon I'm leaving for a trip with my oldest son up the Dmepster Highway.

Taking my "overland rig". Which happens to be just my truck with nothing special.

Thanks. It was a ton of fun and I hope to do it with my children some day. I think you guys will have a blast. You certainly have to be self reliant out there, but it's nothing too crazy in my experience. I was fortunate in that the only breakdown I had was a mile from an auto parts store in Seattle. Having the know how and tools to cap off the coolant feed to the turbo in a parking lot was key.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By LandKruiser:

I’ve never heard of red tail overland. Those tents look nice and prices don't seem too bad either.??
View Quote

Look at their new design. Twenty-five thousand dollars. US dollars. American.

But the design is tits though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#44]
My daily is a 2011 Tacoma with everything modded except the engine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:

@ASUsax

What trailer is that? 
Have a 2 door soft top Wrangler also. As you know space is tight. A small (really light and really cheap) trailer would be great.
View Quote

@SeanTX

It's a Dinoot M416 tub on what began life as a Harbor Freight frame. There's a build thread in the Archive, but all the pics are busted because of the image server I used at the time.

If I were doing it again, I'd just weld up my own frame, with all the mods I did to this one.

ETA: I have no spare tire (I used to) - I have a hub spacer so that I can use the Jeep's spare if needed. (This is only needed because the size of the hub on the trailer is too large for the (stock) wheels on the Jeep. If I get new wheels I will fix that.) Tires are as close to identical as I could make them - The Jeep is running 33x1050 BFG MT/KM2's and the trailer is running 33x1050 BFG MT/KM3's. Close enough. In one of those pics, if you look closely, it was running a set of cheap 30" ATs that came with the wheels, I ran that for a few years and carried a spare. (Wheels are Jeep Steelies off a Cherokee)
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Love seeing all the decked out overlanding trucks at the same USFS system road campsites that I hit up in my decidedly not modified truck (with highway tires)!

It’s a lifestyle Image that people like to be associated with. That’s ok, but just admit that it’s Gucci gear for gear whores.

An ice chest, easy up, ground tent, and a couple plastic totes with gear all in a stock tacoma gets me to the same places.

There just isn’t much land in The US where “overlanding” means anything close to what it used to.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By blinded:
Love seeing all the decked out overlanding trucks at the same USFS system road campsites that I hit up in my decidedly not modified truck (with highway tires)!

It’s a lifestyle Image that people like to be associated with. That’s ok, but just admit that it’s Gucci gear for gear whores.

An ice chest, easy up, ground tent, and a couple plastic totes with gear all in a stock tacoma gets me to the same places. 

There just isn’t much land in The US where “overlanding” means anything close to what it used to. 

View Quote

A basic trashcan ready AK will do 99% of what most member's full battle rattle ARs will do.

Everybody likes Gucci gear and farkle. I am guilty of it and not ashamed to admit it.

IMO, neither the minimalist or full farkle approach is wrong. Have done it both ways.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By juan223:
I'm thinking i need one of those SA trailervans to pull behind this.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137019/IMG_20200410_092535_01_jpg-1423823.JPG
View Quote

No, you need a new truck, that one is junk.

Send it to me for proper disposal.

Color me jealous. One more reason to hate California (can't really register JDM import stuff here).
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#49]
There's a difference between Gucci gear and getting what's best for you. In the gun or outdoor world.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Back in the day it was just called camping.  
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top