Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2001 11:10:40 PM EDT
There are a multitude of philosophies regarding what is "enough" firepower for home defense. Personally, if I wake up to an unexplained noise in the middle of the night, this weapon has almost enough muzzle energy, but lacks "handiness" within the confines of a house. At 280mm, recoil might be an issue too...

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/012/ei/8y/EQ/qB95413.jpg[/img]

Can there be a better choice than 12 ga. slugs or 00 buck when it's time for an intruder to cease operations within your home?  Penetration isn't a consideration at my house, but then again, my house is abnormal....
Root Question - what readily available weapon has the most immediate stopping potential?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
.45 auto is my choice. Great stopping power and readily available...

John
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Plus I don't have the room for that big of a weapon on my night stand.....
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
12 guage gets my vote as well for home defense.  

Well, that or Jesse Ventura's mini-gun. :-).
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy chit balls!

The backblast from that beast could kill ya.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
You should just let intruders take
whatever they want.
That way no one gets hurt.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]
12ga semiauto, 18" barrel. [shotgun] DON'T get a pistol-gripped shotgun;  you can use the stock to help retain the weapon if the intruder rushes you.

A lot of people burble about how racking a pump-action will scare a robber away, but (1) it gives away your position in case THEY aren't scared by it, (2) if you do have to shoot, pumping the action is one more thing to have to deal with, and (3) if you get injured, you might not be ABLE to deal with pumping it.

My 11-87 has never failed to cycle, except for the time that I used ultra-light handloads in it (the reloading data had clearly been audited by corporate lawyers who had bedwetting problems).
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Overkill for home defense?  300 Win Mag - maybe.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 1:22:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 71-Hour Achmed:
(the reloading data had clearly been audited by corporate lawyers who had bedwetting problems).
View Quote

Hahahahahah well put.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#9]
No room in the closet for this.  The gun safe is out of the question. The HOA will have a fit if I parked it outside.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:02:40 AM EDT
[#10]
.45 auto by bedside
20 round's 308 a.p. by the upstairs bedroom door
ak-47 in the garage and front door closet
or and why not a few surprises to toss down the stairs to slow up the backups.
hey why not that would stop them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Overkill?  Well, I'm starting to rethink the Claymores.  Of course, they are keeping the wife's mother away...
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I wonder why it's cammo?  You could probably see it from the space station!!

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Holy chit balls!

The backblast from that beast could kill ya.

Hunter out...
View Quote

Actually, all you'd need to do is DROP that thing on an intruder.

End of intruder.

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nuckles.
View Quote

To protect it from those tank killen .50 rifles of course!

[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nuckles.
View Quote

To protect it from those tank killen .50 rifles of course!

[sniper]
View Quote

...and those fanatical militias that use them!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nuckles.
View Quote

All my life it was painted OD, but they have been busy restoring the displays at the Ordnance Museum and when they got to this one they returned it to the way it looked when we took it from Hitler. It's one BIG mf when you're standing next to it!!!  

Here's the description from the museum's web page:

Called "Anzio Annie" by Allied forces during the Italian Campaign of WW II. This railroad gun evolved from the large siege guns of WW I. It can accurately fire about 31 miles. A rail crew would curve the track to provide a wide angle of fire. Twenty-five of the K5 280 mm series were made. This gun was captured in Italy after it and a second gun ("Robert") had been firing on the Anzio beach head. The guns were hidden in mountain tunnels when not firing..

So at 31.1 meters in overall length, I guess CCW is ruled out for this little pop gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Nothing short of a tactical nuke will match the power of a 12ga shotgun (at close range).

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]
The only overkill is if you are on the receiving end!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I am beginning to rethink my idea that the Barrett M-82 entry gun is a little to much.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#22]
NO unless it takes to many rounds to knock out the perp.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Too big for CCW?  Are you kidding, you don't carry it, it carries you................
 seriously, a 12 loaded with #7 does just as well as buck at indoor ranges, annnd significanly reduces overpenetration of hard objects like walls.  Just try it out in a dark environment, some of that 12 ga. flashes lkie crazy in a riot gun............  See you in June.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#24]
gus: could'nt you find somthing bigger?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#25]
"Old Blue" my trusty Red Ryder carbine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmmm.. my thought was an M2HB pointed out at the dirt road. Actually did that for several days when I was working on it. Or my favorite alternative was 2 1919s mounted on the second story roof with some sortof electronics detector that if your not wearing a tranmissor one or both the 1919s would track you up and until you get within 10 yards of the house, then they let loose. But, this would only work if you have acreage. [heavy]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#27]
One thing for sure with the weapon pictured at the head of this thread..... you better get 'em with the first round because you'll be blind from the muzzle flash... (now there's a case for flash hiders - huh?)

I have always believed and taught that the best defensive weapon for the home for most people is a pump shotgun.  Inexpensive - therefore available to many, effective balistic profile, simple to use, great accuracy not essential, sound of chambering a round can paralyze even the biggest and baddest or send them running in the other direction.

There are drawbacks.  Under stress - you can "forget" to load or are unable to work the action (it has happened) unless you drill with it and operation becomes "mechanical memory".  This is where a revolver can be a good choice as well.  Can remain loaded and all you have to do is complete the trigger pull.  Only if your willing to learn to use them well should you choose a semi-auto pistol.

Also... a shotgun can be taken away more easily but then ideally you don't let them get that close.  A handgun can be held in a retention position (pulled back closer to side of chest) making a snatch less likely.

Whatever the choice - PRACTICE - DRILL - PRACTICE - AND THEN DRILL SOME MORE!  There is no replacement for practice.

You DO practice don't you....?

[sniper]

[b]The Sniper
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I hafta draw the line at thermonuclear devices [BD]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hafta draw the line at thermonuclear devices [BD]
View Quote

Even if they're suppressed (noise & flash)? [;)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Somebody gimme some feedback about my theory... I personally agree that the 12 gauge is the way to go for home defence, however I load up my 590 with #6 upland game shot. This stuff is cheap enough to practice with (re; PRACTICE - DRILL - PRACTICE - AND THEN DRILL SOME MORE!). And I was able to do some backyard ballistics (very informal but enlightening nonetheless) with some old clothes and soaked telephone books. At the ranges I guesstimated for the interior of my house, at longest no more than 5 or 6 yards, this load would be pretty effective, from how that phonebook looked. I tried using layers of clothing and even an old denim jacket, all of which were easily penetrated with severe damage inflicted upon my "simulated badguy". The only thing I couldn't try was a leather coat, but I can't see that being much protection after what I saw it do up close... but at 5+ yards it might have some effect, I dunno. My biggest concern was overpenetration, 00 buck'll zip right through drywall, and that's not an option with kids in the house. The #6 won't penetrate unless you're aiming direct at the wall and within 1-2 yards...beyond that you're just messing up the wallpaper. Does anyone else do this?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#31]
The first one would be a little hard on the wood work!
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#32]
A few sound choices for in-home repelling boarders...

.38spl with Federal Hydra-Shok hollowpoint
.45ACP with above
12ga 18" with full buttstock (for hand to hand) and #4 in 2-3/4"

FFZ

PS - These rounds will tend to stay within most well-built residential walls...

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 3:47:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Easy question; would only use an AR for home defense.  30 rounds is enough for most problems.  Over-penetration has historically never been a problem.  You can easily use it one-handed.  It sticks out, when shouldered, only a little tiny bit further then a extended 1911.  At close range a 12-guage has a very narrow pattern (probably about 1 inch), it's great at 50 yards with a 4-5 foot spread, but still is essentially a solid piece of shot at close range, no different then a bullet (buckshot no different from #6's at close range - still a solid piece of shot).  So you can either have 30 shots of .223 (a .223 - which will be more then enough to disable most attackers) or six shot of 12 guage (a 12 guage - which will also be more then enough to disable most attackers).  Thus if you happen to miss a couple of times, you still have 24 more tries with the AR.  Furthermore, an AR is easier to retain in a struggle then a pistol.  Very hard to turn a rifle around on the user, whereas a pistol is just grab and wrench it from the users hand.  A pistol grip is also easier to retain in a struggle then a conventionally gripped shotgun.  If you're really worried about over penetration, just use HP's.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Why go through all the trouble of getting out of bed just to zap a burglar? Mine your yard, and plant toe-poppers underneath the window sills. Just a thought.........
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#36]
A benelli m3 super 90 loaded with brenneke 00 buck helps me sleep better at night.

13th Monkey
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There are a multitude of philosophies regarding what is "enough" firepower for home defense. Personally, if I wake up to an unexplained noise in the middle of the night, this weapon has almost enough muzzle energy, but lacks "handiness" within the confines of a house. At 280mm, recoil might be an issue too...

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/012/ei/8y/EQ/qB95413.jpg[/img]

Can there be a better choice than 12 ga. slugs or 00 buck when it's time for an intruder to cease operations within your home?  Penetration isn't a consideration at my house, but then again, my house is abnormal....
Root Question - what readily available weapon has the most immediate stopping potential?
View Quote

Hey Gus could you give me your cell number and I'll give my you coordinates, then when the bad guys show up I'll just call and you shoot!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#39]
is there such a thing as overkill??
View Quote

Nope, dead is dead.

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#40]
I draw the line at destroying my house or myself in the act of self defense.

Otherwise I'd just rig explosives to everything I own
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Phil in Seattle:
This one might be a problem.

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=426318&a=3143414&p=48819855[/IMG]
View Quote

Cool pic of the Atomic Cannon...  Here's how it looks today:

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/011/4v/yQ/Aw/Le67540.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Of course, since nukes are ruled out, this one might do. It might be a little tough to keep it bedside though...

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/sy/YF/7e/OA83052.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why go through all the trouble of getting out of bed just to zap a burglar? Mine your yard, and plant toe-poppers underneath the window sills. Just a thought.........
View Quote

Wouldn't that make mowing a little hazardous?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top