Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:30:08 AM EDT
[#1]
My grace USA punches are made here in USA.

New frontier armory makes all their lowers right here in Las Vegas. Assuming their rails are done here as well.

DRAMWORXs makes Pyrex powder reservoirs for most anything that holds powder and needs to be clear. I have one on my hornady case activated powder measurer and my rcbs 1500. Works great and still clear after holding titegroup for weeks.

https://dramworx.com/ my rcbs and hornady reservoirs both say made in USA.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Speed Queen, though some of the components are made outside the US.
HINT: Get the washer and dryer with the old style mechanical timers and controls. LINK
View Quote

Ripon, Wisconsin.

Oh, yeah.

They used to be primarily commercial IIRC but I have been seeing them more in consumer markets recently. Getting good reviews for reliability too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Mitchell Leather

The best front pocket wallet IMHO, kickass guy runs it, most of the leather he uses is from Chicago or Milwaukee and he went out of his way to source his spring steel from Wisconsin instead of overseas.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Great thread!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buck Knives, Post Falls, Idaho

I've been using the same 110 Folding Hunter for 42 years!

BUCK!
View Quote

A lot of their knives are now made in China.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]
The BEST hitch mounted bike rack.

https://www.1up-usa.com/
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Great thread. In.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m looking for a good USA made floor jack, around 3 ton.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Adam’s car wash/polish supplies.

https://adamspolishes.com/pages/about-adams
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#14]
They say definitely that black filters are made in the USA, but I believe all of the Berkey Water Filters are made in the USA

1,183 things USA made at Lehman's
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My whirlpool dishwasher is, but the microwave is from China.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a fantastic idea.

Request:

Made in America kitchen appliances. Wife and I are in the process of buying a new house and I would like to get some quality MiA stuff for it!

My whirlpool dishwasher is, but the microwave is from China.

I was able to get every Appliance from my home made in America except the microwave. Some companies have different items made in different places but I was able to mix and match to my satisfaction, KitchenAid, Amana, whirlpool and of course Speed Queen
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

HINT: Get the washer and dryer with the old style mechanical timers and controls. LINK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a fantastic idea.

Request:

Made in America kitchen appliances. Wife and I are in the process of buying a new house and I would like to get some quality MiA stuff for it!

I bought the digital controls because it came with a 5 year warranty instead of 3 and then since I bought it on American Express I got another year on top of that. We are very happy with it,  not a minutes trouble. We are sooo glad to be rid of the front loader it replaced.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Clothing/Footwear/Bags:
- Chippewa (some of their US-made boots were found to have Chinese components)
- Redwing
- Carhartt
- Wolverine
- Danner
- New Balance
- Darn Tough
- Filson
- Duluth Pack
- Frost River Packs

Tools/Power Equipment:
- ChannelLock
- Klein
- Estwing
- Echo
- Stihl
- Honda
- DeWalt

Knives:
- Buck
- Kershaw
- Spyderco
- Benchmade (Yeah, I know)
- About 1000 other one-man shops

Tires:
- GoodYear and Cooper are the last US-owned tire companies, but they may still have some overseas production
- Foreign-owned tire companies like BFGoodrich, Nitto, and others have some US-manufacturing

It's tough to stick with 100% US-made for everyday stuff.  Electronics and appliances are the obvious tough ones.  But a lot of the big US companies have gone overseas, and even their supposed US-made stuff has a good chance of containing Chinesium whether it's major components or nuts, bolts, fabric, threading, or other raw materials.  It pisses me off that many of these US companies have sent lines overseas, but as long as people buy it, I don't see them stopping unless they nut up and put morals above money.  Sometimes the best I can find is "other-than-china" on some items.

There are so many companies with mixed manufacturing, you have to look really closely at what you're buying to see where it was made.  Some of the companies above may have products that are "Made in USA" but with major, critical components made somewhere else.

View Quote

Goodyear Endurance are the only trailer tire still made in the USA!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There are so many companies with mixed manufacturing, you have to look really closely at what you're buying to see where it was made.  Some of the companies above may have products that are "Made in USA" but with major, critical components made somewhere else.

View Quote

Had to represent my section at Renton's 737 open house day. A retired, career machinist lost his mind and started shouting when he walked by a tail fin with "Made in China" clearly stenciled across the bottom attachment point.

Lots of companies going to "Assembled in USA" or the generic "Imported" to skirt the issue.

Great thread, keep 'em coming!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A lot of their knives are now made in China.
View Quote

Somebody else mentioned that, sorry, didn't know

FWIW, German manufacturer Boker has done the same thing. They outsourced their lower end to the Chinese, so you have to be really careful if you want a genuine Solingen blade.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#22]
SK tools. Made in USA
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Somebody else mentioned that, sorry, didn't know

FWIW, German manufacturer Boker has done the same thing. They outsourced their lower end to the Chinese, so you have to be really careful if you want a genuine Solingen blade.
View Quote

Other knife companies posted, Kershaw and Spyderco for example have a huge chunk of their inventory outsourced
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#24]

No way!

Next you'll be saying Taichung Spyderco is best Spyderco, better than the Golden, CO stuff.

What are you smoking out there in Colorado?!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#25]
In reviewing a lot of the sites, there are a lot of American brands that have turned to outsourced product, partially or fully.

The best advice I can give is do a little research. Companies we think are selling US goods are not.

When I find that in my research I am trying to make a note so we can be informed buyers.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Tekton Tools are from Grand Rapids, MI: all their screwdrivers and about half of their pliers line is made in the USA (most likely by Western Forge, who also makes tools for SK and others).

The majority of their products seem to be made in Taiwan. https://www.tekton.com/

Nokona ball gloves https://nokona.com/

Crick Tool: Best levels money can buy short of Starrett Machinist levels, IMO. https://www.cricktool.com/

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SK tools. Made in USA
View Quote

I believe some of Williams’ hardline tools are American made. Also Wright tools, made in Ohio.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#28]
It's amazing how many things I own that say made in the USA from clothes to Tools and the majority of products are outsourced to China.
Fucking eye opener OP.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's amazing how many things I own that say made in the USA from clothes to Tools and the majority of products are outsourced to China.
Fucking eye opener OP.
View Quote

Yes, we see the brands, assume since it's an American company that they are selling us US made products.

In some cases yes, the product is assembled here but the raw materials came from elsewhere.

In some cases its straight up distribution of foreign made products with an American company logo on it.

Hopefully if nothing else good comes from this pandemic we will at least stop relying so much on Chinese made products.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Mayhew Tools  https://mayhew.com/
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Guide to Walmart's "Made in the USA" Campaign

It’s a pita to copy and paste on my iPad

But this page breaks down the Walmart made in USA tags.  I was pleasantly surprised.

The somewhat detailed infographic lays it out as well.

Guide to Walmart's "Made in the USA" Campaign

When you shop the aisles of Walmart these days, you will see lots of products sporting new red and blue “Made in the USA” logos. Those labels are part of Walmart’s new initiative to commit $250 billion through 2023 to source and promote products made, grown, and assembled in the USA.

Walmart has implemented a ranking system to help shoppers identify how much of a given product is made in the USA. These labeling distinctions are available on Walmart’s corporate website, but without knowing the relative scale behind the rankings, it can be difficult to discern the different labels when you’re busily gathering the items on your shopping list. So we put together a shopper-friendly guide to Walmart’s new identification system for their American-made products.

Note that the Made in the USA labeling system only applies to products that carry Walmart’s private labels like Mainstays, Equate, Great Value, George, Parent’s Choice, etc. National brands are encouraged to visually identify their American-made products on their packaging with their own labels.

Walmart’s standard for what counts as “Made in the USA” is the same as the US Federal Trade Commission’s standard - that “all or virtually all” of a given product must be made on US soil.

Products that are mostly (more than 60%) manufactured in the US or assembled in the US can use Made in the USA labels with additional qualifiers. In other words, many of the products in Walmart sporting the Made in the USA logo will have subtext underneath identifying what percentage of the product was made in America. Some products will also have Assembled in the USA labels, indicating that the product’s raw materials were imported from overseas but the finished product was assembled by American workers.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Duffel bags, computer bags, soft-side luggage, etc.   Made in Montana  https://www.redoxx.com/

Wool clothing, also Montana  https://www.duckworthco.com/pages/about
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyone know of decent bikes made in America under $700?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#36]
For the readers:

Gryphon Editions are made in America, printed and bound in TN

Easton Press also bound and printed in TN

I'm 90% sure Library of America is bound and printed in the USA, at least the series, and it has books only by American authors.  

Plenty of small presses, but typically way more expensive.  For example Thorwillow Press is near West Point and some cadets can do AIAD's there over the summer.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone know of decent bikes made in America under $700?
View Quote
"decent" is relative.

In the past, yes you could have gotten what I would have called a decent US made (frame) bike for around that price point. The two big dogs that were doing US production have stopped. Cannondale in 2010 and Trek in 2017.

Most components on most bikes will be made overseas, so "US made" was only ever referring to the frame and final assembly point.  

At the same price point across the different brands in bikes you are getting the same quality and largely the same features/components. There ain't much variation. It comes down to color and geometry for differences. And brand preference I suppose.

Anyways, with that in mind, if they are essentially the same quality, that means the American made frames were not competing with their foreign counterparts for margins, which I am guessing is why the big dogs stopped doing US production.

Here is a list of US Made bikes. Smaller companies, I only recognize a few. Smaller means more custom and more money.

I do recognize Gunnar on the list. That may be the best value as they are able to do some scale and keep costs down that way. Probably still looking at $1200+ and the components for your bicycle will still probably be made overseas. I think SRAM was doing US production, not sure if they still do. Shimano is Asian made. Campagnolo is Italian.

Gunnar is made in Waterford, Wisconsin by Waterford Precision Cycles. Waterford has been making bikes for many many years. They used to make the top of the line bikes for Schwinn. I think one of the Schwinns is still involved or owns it. I owned a Waterford at one point when I worked at a bike shop years ago. Exceptional quality. But you pay for it.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong on this. I was sad when I found out Trek had stopped. Politics aside, they had some great designs and innovations and it was pretty cool knowing their stuff was made down the road in Waterloo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
"decent" is relative.

In the past, yes you could have gotten what I would have called a decent US made (frame) bike for around that price point. The two big dogs that were doing US production have stopped. Cannondale in 2010 and Trek in 2017.

Most components on most bikes will be made overseas, so "US made" was only ever referring to the frame and final assembly point.  

At the same price point across the different brands in bikes you are getting the same quality and largely the same features/components. There ain't much variation. It comes down to color and geometry for differences. And brand preference I suppose.

Anyways, with that in mind, if they are essentially the same quality, that means the American made frames were not competing with their foreign counterparts for margins, which I am guessing is why the big dogs stopped doing US production.

Here is a list of US Made bikes. Smaller companies, I only recognize a few. Smaller means more custom and more money.

I do recognize Gunnar on the list. That may be the best value as they are able to do some scale and keep costs down that way. Probably still looking at $1200+ and the components for your bicycle will still probably be made overseas. I think SRAM was doing US production, not sure if they still do. Shimano is Asian made. Campagnolo is Italian.

Gunnar is made in Waterford, Wisconsin by Waterford Precision Cycles. Waterford has been making bikes for many many years. They used to make the top of the line bikes for Schwinn. I think one of the Schwinns is still involved or owns it. I owned a Waterford at one point when I worked at a bike shop years ago. Exceptional quality. But you pay for it.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong on this. I was sad when I found out Trek had stopped. Politics aside, they had some great designs and innovations and it was pretty cool knowing their stuff was made down the road in Waterloo.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Interesting article about Giant, sorry it's a bloomberg link.  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-17/world-s-top-bicycle-maker-says-era-of-made-in-china-is-over

Giant Manufacturing Co. saw the writing on the wall early on. The world's biggest bicycle maker started moving production of U.S.-bound orders out of its China facilities to its home base in Taiwan as soon as it heard Donald Trump threaten tariff action in September.

"When Trump announced the plan of 25% tariffs, we took it seriously," Chairwoman Bonnie Tu said in an interview at Giant's Taichung City headquarters in Taiwan. "We started moving before he shut his mouth."
relates to World's Top Bicycle Maker Says the Era of 'Made in China' Is Over

Giant is part of a growing number of global firms that are pivoting production out of China in reaction to the increasingly hostile trade relations between the two superpowers. Intel Corp. this week became the latest to say it's reviewing its global supply chain, while Li & Fung Ltd., the world's largest supplier of consumer goods, said the trade war is spurring it to diversify away from China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Bicycles

Interesting that Giant started making their own bikes after Schwinn, who they'd been making bikes for, switched to china bicycle company.

I was told by several different people at several different bike shops that Giant makes most aluminum frames, particularly Specialized and Trek.  Not really having much luck finding something to back that up.

Looks like Trek may make some of their high-end carbon frames here, but most everything else is overseas.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In reviewing a lot of the sites, there are a lot of American brands that have turned to outsourced product, partially or fully.

The best advice I can give is do a little research. Companies we think are selling US goods are not.

When I find that in my research I am trying to make a note so we can be informed buyers.

View Quote

Research is about all you can do.  Some companies seem to be bad about hiding origin.

Also considering how "global" we are now, a completely made in USA product is not always possible anymore.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#41]
BTW Briggs and Stratton offshored their tool and die making to China years ago.  

I believe that the actual manufacture of most of their engines and parts was sent over too.  They did some of the assembling here, although I ran across an article a couple days ago where they shut down one of the US assembly plants recently.   https://www.murrayledger.com/news/local/briggs-stratton-s-last-engines-leave-plant-second-round-of-layoffs-ends-with-final-total/article_05fc9bce-3fc2-11ea-8907-a356f595bcdd.html

Toyota makes alot of engines and stuff in Missouri and Tennessee.  They used to be Bodine, but looks like they just changed their name this year.  https://pressroom.toyota.com/tmmtn-fact-sheet/
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you
Not sure if there are used bike shops near you, but they would be able to help find one in that price range that is US Made. Prices on the secondary market such as craigslist or other online forums are kind of all over the place and you have to know what you are looking for. Pre 2010, IIRC all Cannondale was US made. The Treks that were US made has serial numbers that started with W (Waterloo).

Also, just saw you are in Tennessee. If you are anywhere near Chatanooga there is a company called American Bicycle Group that makes Litespeed bikes. Great titanium bikes. They have a factory outlet and there may be more people there with Litespeeds due to the factory, possibly get a good price on the secondary. They are like Apple, more expensive to start with, but they don't really have a low end.
Quoted:

Research is about all you can do.  Some companies seem to be bad about hiding origin.

Also considering how "global" we are now, a completely made in USA product is not always possible anymore.
Or necessarily the best.

Quoted:
BTW Briggs and Stratton offshored their tool and die making to China years ago.  

I believe that the actual manufacture of most of their engines and parts was sent over too.

Toyota makes alot of engines and stuff in Missouri and Tennessee.  They used to be Bodine, but looks like they just changed their name this year.  https://pressroom.toyota.com/tmmtn-fact-sheet/
Possible. Many companies have. Not so sure about the actual engines and parts though. The facility in Wauwatosa is pretty massive. But I claim no authority of knowledge.

A number of the Japanese car makers do more production in the US than the "American" car makers. Begs the question for many things in our daily life, what is American? If I buy a BMW made in Spartanburg, SC, is it less American because the brand is German, versus a Ford made in Mexico? Just waxing philisophical.

Quoted:
Interesting article about Giant, sorry it's a bloomberg link.  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-17/world-s-top-bicycle-maker-says-era-of-made-in-china-is-over

Giant Manufacturing Co. saw the writing on the wall early on. The world's biggest bicycle maker started moving production of U.S.-bound orders out of its China facilities to its home base in Taiwan as soon as it heard Donald Trump threaten tariff action in September.

"When Trump announced the plan of 25% tariffs, we took it seriously," Chairwoman Bonnie Tu said in an interview at Giant's Taichung City headquarters in Taiwan. "We started moving before he shut his mouth."
relates to World's Top Bicycle Maker Says the Era of 'Made in China' Is Over

Giant is part of a growing number of global firms that are pivoting production out of China in reaction to the increasingly hostile trade relations between the two superpowers. Intel Corp. this week became the latest to say it's reviewing its global supply chain, while Li & Fung Ltd., the world's largest supplier of consumer goods, said the trade war is spurring it to diversify away from China.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Bicycles

Interesting that Giant started making their own bikes after Schwinn, who they'd been making bikes for, switched to china bicycle company.

I was told by several different people at several different bike shops that Giant makes most aluminum frames, particularly Specialized and Trek.  Not really having much luck finding something to back that up.

Looks like Trek may make some of their high-end carbon frames here, but most everything else is overseas.

Yep, that's why they are called Giant. They made frames for many at one point. Pretty sure Specialized and Trek have their own facilities in China now though with their volume. The thing about bike shop guys is that anyone on the sales floor, doesn't know dick. So they take something they think maybe could be true, over generalize and to them it becomes true.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A number of the Japanese car makers do more production in the US than the "American" car makers. Begs the question for many things in our daily life, what is American? If I buy a BMW made in Spartanburg, SC, is it less American because the brand is German, versus a Ford made in Mexico? Just waxing philisophical.

View Quote

I had this argument with a family member not too long ago. They work for GM and threw a fit when I had to replace my wife's vehicle earlier this year and I selected a certified pre-owned Nissan Pathfinder. The few "domestic" brand models we were interested in are all assembled in Canada or Mexico it seems, while the "foreign" brand was assembled about 30 minutes away from us. My stance that I supported local workers fell on deaf ears because my money is just going overseas.....

Back on topic - I am looking for a broadcast sprayer for my yard. I own a couple of Agri-Fab products, assembled in the USA but may have global parts. I have also located FIMCO, which states manufactured in the USA. If there are any other brands to consider let me know. I just need a 15-25 gallon broadcast sprayer, tow behind or standard tank that I will rig up to my dump cart.

http://www.agri-fab.com/Home.aspx

https://www.fimcoindustries.com/

ETA - forgot about Chapin. They are listed as made in the USA with global parts as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not sure if there are used bike shops near you, but they would be able to help find one in that price range that is US Made. Prices on the secondary market such as craigslist or other online forums are kind of all over the place and you have to know what you are looking for. Pre 2010, IIRC all Cannondale was US made. The Treks that were US made has serial numbers that started with W (Waterloo).

Also, just saw you are in Tennessee. If you are anywhere near Chatanooga there is a company called American Bicycle Group that makes Litespeed bikes. Great titanium bikes. They have a factory outlet and there may be more people there with Litespeeds due to the factory, possibly get a good price on the secondary. They are like Apple, more expensive to start with, but they don't really have a low end.
Or necessarily the best.

Possible. Many companies have. Not so sure about the actual engines and parts though. The facility in Wauwatosa is pretty massive. But I claim no authority of knowledge.

Yep, that's why they are called Giant. They made frames for many at one point. Pretty sure Specialized and Trek have their own facilities in China now though with their volume. The thing about bike shop guys is that anyone on the sales floor, doesn't know dick. So they take something they think maybe could be true, over generalize and to them it becomes true.

View Quote

Hrm. I was thinking about giving my kid my bike and upgrading.... Not a lot of options
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#46]
BW Trailer hitches. Employee owned as well I think.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The BEST hitch mounted bike rack.

https://www.1up-usa.com/
View Quote

I am part of the 1up master race!!! It's the best bike rack by far!

(Sadly it looks like Thule just come out with their knockoff version of it)
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Burns Saddlery  https://burns1876.com/brand/Saddlery
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Shinola, Detroit (using imported parts)
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top