Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2001 7:45:06 PM EDT
ok guys lets have it.

i bought an rra national match upper the other day and have been using a modified cle barrel break in method(no jb bore)

Using sweats 7.62 to clean every 20 rounds for the first 60 pushing both brush and patch (while using a one piece fiberglass cleaning rod) in a forward direction only from the breech to muzzle taking carful attention not to drag patch or brush back through the bore.

my question is jb bore a must have for a proper barrel break in ?  
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes and No, everone has a different way.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Just be careful with ammonia.

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
NO, you don't need to use JB.  And you should clean after EVERY round for the first 20, then every 5 for 20 more.  If you only clean every 20 for the first 60, you might as well not bother.  DON'T let 20 rounds worth of copper build up in that new barrel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The topic of breaking in barrels always amazes me.  Every company and every individual you talk to always know the 'best' method.  I get different responses to the topic from almost every AR-15 manufacturer!  I've been using JB in my stainless steel barrels and have no complaints.  They all shoot great groups.  I'd recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#6]
and every individual you talk to always know the 'best' method
View Quote

Clean after every round for the first 10,000 rounds. after that collect social security.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have an article from years ago in Dillon's Blue Press that explains in detail how to properly break in a bbl for maximum accuracy.  
View Quote

I also would like a copy for the LEGP rifle. I sent you an e-mail.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]
being the odd man out. i just point and shoot. i do clean the gun prior to initial shooting. but other than that, i just shoot them.
keep in mind that outside of 1 or 2 rifles all my long gun's were brought used, and since who knows how they maintained them, who cares. yes there are those who clean/shoot clean/shoot. but if i did that with every long gun i own i would never fire more than 2 or 4 rounds at the range.
and to be honest i have yet to have one of the rifles NOT shoot and group well. from the generic ar barrel to my ss ultra match ones.
hell even my fn kit gun does in the black, and nice tight groups,without trying (off a bench i will concede)
since i still cannot get the hand of posting pics, i could e-m someone a target of my (gasp) saiga conversion. 50yd sight in target, after ripping a 30rd mag through it just to see how it ran. 2rds almost on top of each other!!!
no cleaning,just shooting
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:33:01 AM EDT
[#9]
For what it's worth, I have never, on ANY of my firearms, gone through any type of "break in procedure", and none of my firearms have ever had any problems.  I have an Oly M4gery that shoots better groups than my buds 20" armalite, an AK that puts better than 2" groups, 2 1903 Springfields, etc etc.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with AKARguy & jim.  I would like to see someone, maybe from Guns & Ammo or Guns magizine do a side by side break-in test with 2 match barrels.  I seriously doubt there would be any discernible difference.  When I got my NM M1A, I put 60rds through it before cleaning the barrel & it shoots great.  I work with a guy who was an armorer for the Marine Shooting Team, he said they didn't break-in barrels, they just shot them & cleaned them when they were done.  Good enough for the Corps, good enough for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top