Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 1687
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

I have a Vanguard and a Schwab account.  They were both free and easy to set up.  What is the appeal of Robin Hood and Webull over a more established, larger company?  I don't have any experience with them, but the impression I have is that they're kinda fly-by-night in comparison.  Maybe not?  I have seen several comments about not being able to do certain things in them that I have done in mine with no problems.

Were they the first to offer free trades, and then the big guys started doing it later?  I remember dabbling in stocks a tiny bit about 20 years ago, and you had to pay something like $15-$20 per trade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By skipper469:
I have no room to offer advice in this thread, but I will offer this one piece of advice. Get yourself an account outside of Robinhood or Webull so you can have access to the broader market of pink/OTCstocks. I have a TDAmeritrade account, but was overwhelmed by the phone app. at first so I opened a Robinhood account. I figured if I want the tools to succeed in investing, I had better educate myself, and now the app. is very useful and I have access to all the stocks I'm interested in. That's all; good luck and I hope you all do well investing!

I have a Vanguard and a Schwab account.  They were both free and easy to set up.  What is the appeal of Robin Hood and Webull over a more established, larger company?  I don't have any experience with them, but the impression I have is that they're kinda fly-by-night in comparison.  Maybe not?  I have seen several comments about not being able to do certain things in them that I have done in mine with no problems.

Were they the first to offer free trades, and then the big guys started doing it later?  I remember dabbling in stocks a tiny bit about 20 years ago, and you had to pay something like $15-$20 per trade.

Robinhood has the ease of use.
Its dumbed down. But doesn't have the advanced features as the big brokers.

Basically you can buy/sell stocks/options, and limit buy/sell on RH, plus crypto.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AesopsWildBoar:

When the govt handouts start, I wonder how far back in the line TSLA will be.

We all know the companies are generally politically connected. (Nope, no corruption here)

Serious discussion though, I was scarred off when Musk said it was overpriced at $800 (pre split). Wow was I wrong to listen to the CEO when millions of twits know better.
View Quote

California is investing pension money into it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

View All Quotes

When the govt handouts start, I wonder how far back in the line TSLA will be.

We all know the companies are generally politically connected. (Nope, no corruption here)

Serious discussion though, I was scarred off when Musk said it was overpriced at $800 (pre split). Wow was I wrong to listen to the CEO when millions of twits know better.

From what I have read the they are also invested in MVIS
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:
Bought 300 shares of GAME at 39.70 today to quick flip.... but man how high will it go, and why didn't I buy more
View Quote

Very nice.  I was trying that at a lower buy price that didn't work out.  Its in the $45 area as we speak
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

Basically you can buy/sell stocks/options, and limit buy/sell on RH, plus crypto.
View Quote

You can also buy partial shares with whatever money you have.
Etrade only lets me buy full shares, so it's good for the poors
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By m1awolf:

From what I have read the they are also invested in MVIS
View Quote

Probably not as much as in Tesla.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:49:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#7]
Originally Posted By Scare_Crow:

View All Quotes

That's just weird.

I'm not sure how I double quoted.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:55:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AesopsWildBoar] [#8]
Originally Posted By TrippEd36:

where are you seeing that?

View All Quotes

The ask is .1349! Over 50% higher than the stock price

For AITX, saw it yesterday evening on TD, maybe it was a glitch. As of now the ask is .10

Edit, thanks to others for answering for me. Got a little tied up last night haha
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#9]

For AITX, saw it yesterday evening on TD, maybe it was a glitch. As of now the ask is .10
View All Quotes

I don't think that is valid.  I've always noticed at the end of trading the ask and bid sort of park themselves somewhere until the market opens again.

For example I have XAN-C.  Price is 21.55.  Ask is 4,294 and bid is 19!     Another is RCB, price is 25,  ask is 25.59, bid is .0001!  These don't trade outside normal market.  Once it opens they will correct.  Not sure what the reason is but I've always seen that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:01:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#10]
Montauk Renewables is having a public offering today. Might be worth watching with the new push for green energy coming. Offering closes the 26th.

I'm going to add it to my watch list, not sure I would want to jump right in out of the gate though.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2021/01/22/2162603/0/en/Montauk-Renewables-Announces-Pricing-of-25-9-Million-Initial-Public-Offering.html

Montauk has been engaged in commercial-scale development of renewable energy facilities for over 30 years. Getty Synthetic Fuels, the forerunner to one of our existing subsidiaries, built a groundbreaking high Btu landfill gas to energy plant at the CID landfill in Chicago, Illinois in 1980. Our longest tenured employee began working at that facility in 1983. Getty Synthetic Fuels eventually became GSF Energy. Over the years, GSF Energy built some of the largest landfill gas to energy plants in the nation. Montauk acquired GSF Energy in the 1990s and still operates two of those large facilities. Our unwavering commitment to renewable energy began at the inception of the industry and remains today. 100% of our energy portfolio is still derived from renewable energy sources.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

I don't think that is valid.  I've always noticed at the end of trading the ask and bid sort of park themselves somewhere until the market opens again.

For example I have XAN-C.  Price is 21.55.  Ask is 4,294 and bid is 19!     Another is RCB, price is 25,  ask is 25.59, bid is .0001!  These don't trade outside normal market.  Once it opens they will correct.  Not sure what the reason is but I've always seen that.
View All Quotes

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Edit, thanks to others for answering for me. Got a little tied up last night haha
View Quote

Morning all, Fidelity still shows it at .085 ask and bid. Glitches be crazy...lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Strange bid/ask spreads are generally due to market makers pulling their bids when the market is closed.  That means people’s stink bids up and down become the market.  You can see asks of 9999.99 on thinly traded underlyings often.

Also for those who like picks/shovels cheapys....REEMF.  Rare earth mining junior that just got .gov contract for initial facility.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Keep an eye on GEVO
Their offering ($8) ends today
Currently at $9 and they were $11 before the offering
Could be a quick 10-20% flip
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#15]
ZOM is under a $1.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By m6z:
ZOM is under a $1.
View Quote

You're all welcome for that, I bought a bunch yesterday at $1,so of course it went down.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
Keep an eye on GEVO
Their offering ($8) ends today
Currently at $9 and they were $11 before the offering
Could be a quick 10-20% flip
View Quote

I could almost do that but haven't followed it at all and looks like it historically traded under 5 or 6 as of not too long ago.  So all of this action might be above it's normal support.   Thanks for the heads up though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#18]
The premarket is not giving me a very good outlook for today.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#19]
BNGO   $8.95

Change Since Close      0.68 (8.22%)    Bid    8.95  Ask    8.96

B/A Size
   15500x400
January 22, 2021 9:18am E
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
The premarket is not giving me a very good outlook for today.
View Quote

I am hoping for a drastic down day on a few stocks, got a bit of money freed up and would like to extend a few positions for a better share price.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

Okay that makes sense.  Now I see how a friend of mine has 1/4 of a share of some high-dollar stock that he mentioned the other day.  He must be using RH or a similar app.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

AITX is sorted back out now.  I guess I haven't had a stock that behaved like that before.  Threw me for a loop.    Thanks for the explanation, all.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Let's say MVIS gets acquired.

What will happen to the shares we own?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:47:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#24]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:

View Quote

I believe they would either be converted to cash at an agreed-upon price and paid to the owner, or they would be converted to shares of the buying company at an agreed-upon exchange rate.
So if FOO buys MVIS at $100/share (we can dream, right?), and FOO is valued at $300 per share, then for every three shares of MVIS you have, they would turn into one share of FOO.

I'm no expert, though, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

It would depend on the terms of the deal.  I had LVNGO and TDOC.  They merged under TDOC.  I got something like 1.579 shares of TDOC for every share of LVNGO, plus $13 cash for each share of LVNGO.  These aren't the exact numbers since I can't recall those, but close.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Did anyone buy CYDY a while back?  It was doing great for a while, but lately hasn't been doing so good.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#27]
kicking myself for not grabbing some atos yesterday afternoon.  missed the boat on that one....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#28]

https://i.imgur.com/iwhqnJQ.gif

I believe they would either be converted to cash at an agreed-upon price and paid to the owner, or they would be converted to shares of the buying company at an agreed-upon exchange rate.
So if FOO buys MVIS at $100/share (we can dream, right?), and FOO is valued at $300 per share, then for every three shares of MVIS you have, they would turn into one share of FOO.

View Quote

I had a few shares of VSLR (Vivint Solar) last year, they were "Valued" at @ $24.00 a share before they were bought out, the share price ended over $45, it was crazy. Of course i sold my 500 shares when it hit mid $20's as didn't figure it would go any higher and my SP was @ $4.10.
so based on that i dont discount $100+ a share if the fever is right.....

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By EmCee:
kicking myself for not grabbing some atos yesterday afternoon.  missed the boat on that one....
View Quote

Maybe not, it's getting pumped by analysts now for a conference with trial findings next week. I don't really know what to do with it. I doubled down on it and brought my average up to 1.60. Not sure if I should dump it all when it breaks 2, or see just how high it goes with their new Covid stuff.

Their previous spikes have all hit about 4 before petering out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Maybe not, it's getting pumped by analysts now for a conference with trial findings next week. I don't really know what to do with it. I doubled down on it and brought my average up to 1.60. Not sure if I should dump it all when it breaks 2, or see just how high it goes with their new Covid stuff.

View Quote

Don't be afraid to take profits and build your account. Trying to time the top will drive you nuts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By LHA-2:

Don't be afraid to take profits and build your account. Trying to time the top will drive you nuts.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LHA-2:

I'll probably do what I did with ZOM last week. Once I can sell 50-75% of my shares and pull a profit, I'll let the rest ride for awhile and try to maximize it.

I was in at .66 with that one, then half out at $1 and the rest was gone at $1.30. Bought back in yesterday and today with a .98 average, so hopefully it moves back upwards heading into March.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks like TNXP obtained rights to an inhaled diabetic treatment based on oxytocin; it's pretty active right now, but bouncing off 1.07 on way up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Very nice.  I was trying that at a lower buy price that didn't work out.  Its in the $45 area as we speak
View All Quotes
Bought 300 shares of GAME at 39.70 today to quick flip.... but man how high will it go, and why didn't I buy more

You are almost at a $10/share gain at the moment!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy shit GME.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Holy shit GME.
View Quote

What's going on there?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Holy shit GME.
View Quote

yep, a big FU to Citron.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:

What's going on there?
View Quote

Shorts still taking it in the rear hard.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

What's going on there?

I hope this doesn't peter out.  I'm seeing some small trades now, it almost breached $50.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:40:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#39]

I hope this doesn't peter out.  I'm seeing some small trades now, it almost breached $50.
View Quote

There really aren't any shares available to sell to people. I think only made up shares are trading hands.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#40]

There really aren't any shares available to sell to people. I think only made up shares are trading hands.
View All Quotes

Yep its getting tight.  I thought I heard short interest went up yesterday by 2 mil shares.   They are fighting it.  Could this be the big one?  up to $51+ as I type this!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#41]
This guy must be a real piece of work.  He wants the government to save him?

Citron's Andrew Left is throwing in the towel on commenting on video game store chain GameStop (NYSE:GME) after getting attacked from investor community on his short thesis on the shares, including alleged attacks against his family.
Left, in a letter posted on a new Twitter account he created, writes that "What Citron has experienced in the past 48 hours is nothing short of shameful and a sad commentary on the state of the community."
Left became the target for criticism from long investors after posting a YouTube video yesterday on downside case for the shares to $20. Gamestop shares have more than doubled, climbing 174%, in almost two weeks, including a 14% increase today.
He continues in the letter that he has stopped commenting on GameStop because an "angry mob who owns this stock has spent the past 48 hours'' allegedly committing crimes that Left will turn over to the the FBI, SEC and other governmental agencies.
He adds that he hopes the government will step in and eliminate this issues for other market commentators "whose families get terrorized by people who naively think they are anonymous," Left wrote in the letter.
GameStop short interest is 151%.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#42]

Yep its getting tight.  I thought I heard short interest went up yesterday by 2 mil shares.   They are fighting it.  Could this be the big one?  up to $51+ as I type this!
View Quote

It's already the big one. I think it was at $8 when I first started doing options on it.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#43]

It's already the big one.
View All Quotes

It's already the big one.

Are you in on this?  At some point I have to decide what to do!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#44]

Are you in on this?  At some point I have to decide what to do!
View Quote

I have options spreads that are like $10 in the money now.  

Just looked $12.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Just dumped my 300. Time to buy more MVIS
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I still cant wrap my head around all those reddit autists keep pumping up GME.

BNGO got me some nice gains today, yet again.  Meanwhile I'm waiting on ZOM, hopefully the March product release delivers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Did anyone buy CYDY a while back?  It was doing great for a while, but lately hasn't been doing so good.
View Quote
HOLD on this - go do some reading on where they're at and the efficacy of their drug.  Literally any day now for their phase 3 trial results, which will lead to EUA from FDA. IMO it's going to POP biggly.  My money is where my mouth is. 377k invested.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

that's a fair summary of what will happen. If it's a cash deal, they'll buy you out. If it's cash+stock with maths, they'll come up with some ratio formula and convert MVIS to whatever the acquiring company stock is.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#49]
For all you day traders/short positions, I see a lot of jumping in and out of the same stocks. Do you also consider tax implications? I usually hold for longer periods but recently learned you can’t realize a loss if you buy the same stock within 30 days.

(Funny enough, you do realize a gain of you make money on the stock and buy it again within 30 days... house always wins I suppose)

I wonder what this spring is going to look like when people start learning the tax implications of last years quarantine stock purchases.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RASuperlight] [#50]
WooT!! BNGO
Got to take a nice profit today and still kept 1000 shares.
I needed that.
Page / 1687
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top