Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 415
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ian Rapoport reporting that interest in Marcus Mariota, which had been high, has cooled significantly due to contract issues.

Mariota is slated to make a base $10.625M in 2021, however if he starts the whole season his contract could MORE THAN DOUBLE, and the interest in Mariota at over $20M is a lot less.
View Quote

and there's the chance if he's cleared to start a play off game he still may sit out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Was due $11.8M in cash in 2021, zero guaranteed, no dead cap. Frees up the entire amount.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Was due $11.8M in cash in 2021, zero guaranteed, no dead cap. Frees up the entire amount.
View Quote

Wow, he's good too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wow, he's good too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, he's good too.

i think he was hurt a lot last year.

you gotta wonder what the broncos are doing. they've seemed to flounder since winning it a few seasons ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

i think it's more shocking that player is a two time super bowl MVP.
View Quote

who are we talking about?

Or do you mean League MVP?

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wow, he's good too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, he's good too.

He did only play 3 games in 2020. He tore his bicep, went to IR. He came back from that, was placed on the reserve/covid list, then went straight from that list back to IR. So not sure what's up with that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
"He's a good QB... but you can't pay good QB's great QB money & expect to be a really good football team, it doesn't work like that." - Dan Orlovsky on Dak (from the Pat McAfee show).

Orlovsky thinks Wentz is a potential top 5 player in the league, a 2021 MVP candidate, and that Dak is a good, not great QB... Feels like I'm back in 2017.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think it's more shocking that player is a two time super bowl MVP.

eli manning
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"He's a good QB... but you can't pay good QB's great QB money & expect to be a really good football team, it doesn't work like that." - Dan Orlovsky on Dak (from the Pat McAfee show).

Orlovsky thinks Wentz is a potential top 5 player in the league, a 2021 MVP candidate, and that Dak is a good, not great QB... Feels like I'm back in 2017.
View Quote

i think almost all of us would prefer dak over wentz. his agents must be paying these media guys BIG money.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

i think almost all of us would prefer dak over wentz. his agents must be paying these media guys BIG money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't get why people get so shocked over paying a QB big money.

It happens with every new QB signing. It happened with Matt Stafford, it happened with Matt Ryan, it happened with Jared Goff, it happened with Kirk Cousins, it happened with Jimmy G, it happened with Derek Carr.

When you have a good quarterback, when it comes their time to sign, they are going to sign for crazy money, because it is a new year, and the value only goes up every year. If you refuse to pay it, someone else will. If the Cowboys don't pay, they will end up with a Kirk Cousins situation, and I think Dak is a better QB than Kirk so it will be even worse.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]

I think we have already accepted this. Realistically I think everyone is in agreement that the Pats are going to settle for a vet/backup QB to get through another year. Whether it is Mariota, Winston, Dalton, etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#12]

So reportedly Wilson, after sitting next to Clown Shoes at the Super Bowl, and watching Pat Mahomes run for his life the entire game, then made contact with Pete to talk about the line, and he wasn't told what he wanted to hear, so then he went and made the media rounds and sparked all the controversy.

Edit: I guess you could also say he watched Tom stand in the pocket all game, and face only 4 pressures (the lowest of his entire career) and thought, "Fuck, I want to be like Tom."
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think we have already accepted this. Realistically I think everyone is in agreement that the Pats are going to settle for a vet/backup QB to get through another year. Whether it is Mariota, Winston, Dalton, etc.
View Quote

Maybe the thing to do is tank it up next year.  For a long time I was against tanking, but clearly it seems to work for teams who aren't total retards.  The NFL's push for "equity" basically punishes teams for excellent play, and teams that are in the middle stick in the doldrums.  

Maybe the best plan is to jettison all your expensive veterans then really, really suck for 1 to 2 years while amassing top draft picks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Maybe the thing to do is tank it up next year.  For a long time I was against tanking, but clearly it seems to work for teams who aren't total retards.  The NFL's push for "equity" basically punishes teams for excellent play, and teams that are in the middle stick in the doldrums.  

Maybe the best plan is to jettison all your expensive veterans then really, really suck for 1 to 2 years while amassing top draft picks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That plan only works if you HIT on the draft picks. Look at Chicago, Cleveland, Jacksonville. How many years have they spent at the bottom of the barrel missing on pick after pick and deal after deal?

Once again, Bill hasn't drafted a pro-bowl player in SEVEN years now... It is going to be real interesting to see what happens with the Patriots over the next 5ish years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That plan only works if you HIT on the draft picks. Look at Chicago, Cleveland, Jacksonville. How many years have they spent at the bottom of the barrel missing on pick after pick and deal after deal?

Once again, Bill hasn't drafted a pro-bowl player in SEVEN years now... It is going to be real interesting to see what happens with the Patriots over the next 5ish years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Tanking might kinda work in the NBA, I haven't seen evidence of it working in the NFL.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So reportedly Wilson, after sitting next to Clown Shoes at the Super Bowl, and watching Pat Mahomes run for his life the entire game, then made contact with Pete to talk about the line, and he wasn't told what he wanted to hear, so then he went and made the media rounds and sparked all the controversy.

Edit: I guess you could also say he watched Tom stand in the pocket all game, and face only 4 pressures (the lowest of his entire career) and thought, "Fuck, I want to be like Tom."
View Quote

That contrast in pressure was amazing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Neither the Saints or the Bears have the cap room or draft capital to get the deal done. Would be Vegas or Dallas.

Cowboys swap Dak and some picks and other shit for Wilson?

Edit: I still think there's no chance in hell he gets moved, but it's fun to talk about. That's what off-season news and tweets are for.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://media3.giphy.com/media/a6YHwnkn0ctOM/giphy.gif
View Quote

That’s the woman that was accused of blowing coaches, players, and front office employees in exchange for info/stories so maybe when her “source” was climaxing he said “five” and she heard “fifteen.”
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, that's a lot considering the lower cap space this year. I don't think JJ's current play is worth that but he might be enough to get a team deep in the playoffs with enough help. Depends if he wants money or a ring I guess?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Neither the Saints or the Bears have the cap room or draft capital to get the deal done. Would be Vegas or Dallas.

Edit: I still think there's no chance in hell he gets moved, but it's fun to talk about. That's what off-season news and tweets are for.
View Quote

Wilson a Raider? My brain can't process that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know... Wilson has always struck me as the kind of guy who sucks the fun out of a room, kinda like a black hole, or a Raider fan.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't know... Wilson has always struck me as the kind of guy who sucks the fun out of a room, kinda like a black hole, or a Raider fan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i love how he 'didn't request a trade' but he let it be known the four teams he would allow a trade.

this could get real ugly, and i'm all for this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wow, that's a lot considering the lower cap space this year. I don't think JJ's current play is worth that but he might be enough to get a team deep in the playoffs with enough help. Depends if he wants money or a ring I guess?
View Quote

I find it incredibly hard to believe that a legit Super Bowl contender offered an injury prone DE on the wrong side of 30 that's been a shell of his former self $15M-$16M a season.

The only exception would be if it the offer was riddled with nigh unobtainable incentives.  Like his base salary is $6M, but he gets $5M if he wins defensive player of the year, and another $5M if he wins Super Bowl MVP.  However, there was nothing in the "story" to indicate that was the case.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It happens with every new QB signing. It happened with Matt Stafford, it happened with Matt Ryan, it happened with Jared Goff, it happened with Kirk Cousins, it happened with Jimmy G, it happened with Derek Carr.

When you have a good quarterback, when it comes their time to sign, they are going to sign for crazy money, because it is a new year, and the value only goes up every year. If you refuse to pay it, someone else will. If the Cowboys don't pay, they will end up with a Kirk Cousins situation, and I think Dak is a better QB than Kirk so it will be even worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And those teams don’t win.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That’s the woman that was accused of blowing coaches, players, and front office employees in exchange for info/stories so maybe when her “source” was climaxing he said “five” and she heard “fifteen.”
View Quote

we have the same alma mater.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I find it incredibly hard to believe that a legit Super Bowl contender offered an injury prone DE on the wrong side of 30 that's been a shell of his former self $15M-$16M a season.

The only exception would be if it the offer was riddled with nigh unobtainable incentives.  Like his base salary is $6M, but he gets $5M if he wins defensive player of the year, and another $5M if he wins Super Bowl MVP.  However, there was nothing in the "story" to indicate that was the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

people have speculated the browns offered that b/c that's the cap space they have. not saying it's true, but that's the word on the street.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And those teams don't win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. But that also applies to hall of fame QBs. Brees never got back. Rodgers hasn't gone back. Wilson hasn't gone back.

Only 1 team out of 32 wins every year. And Brady has fucked up the percentages for 2 decades.

You have to pay your quarterback. Especially if he is in the top 10 of the NFL anywhere near his re-sign date.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

No Rex Grossman?  I mean he does have as many NFC Championship wins as Aaron Rodgers.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This. Tanking might kinda work in the NBA, I haven't seen evidence of it working in the NFL.
View Quote
working out pretty well for the Dolphins. Even if they won 5 games in the year they were supposed to be tanking. 2 years in and missed the playoffs by one game.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No Rex Grossman?  I mean he does have as many NFC Championship wins as Aaron Rodgers.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rex "Fuck it, I'm throwing deep" "Unleash the Dragon" Grossman.

I miss Sexy Rexy.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I miss Sexy Rexy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I miss Sexy Rexy.

Redskins GOAT
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

True. But that also applies to hall of fame QBs. Brees never got back. Rodgers hasn't gone back. Wilson hasn't gone back.

Only 1 team out of 32 wins every year. And Brady has fucked up the percentages for 2 decades.

You have to pay your quarterback. Especially if he is in the top 10 of the NFL anywhere near his re-sign date.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure when some of the guys you listed above got paid, whether it was before or after they had a good season but those franchises appear to be going the wrong way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find out your wife was having sex with your coworker(s) and see how fun you are at work.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember Grossman chucking a deep touchdown against the Hawks in the playoffs. Game that went to overtime. It went over 50 yards in the air and it was a fucking laser beam. Just tight spiral, tons of speed on it. And it looked like he was just backyard passing, looked so fucking easy.

Edit: 06 divisional round.

2006 NFC Playoffs: Rex Grossman 68 yard touchdown pass vs Seattle

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I remember Grossman chucking a deep touchdown against the Hawks in the playoffs. Game that went to overtime. It went over 50 yards in the air and it was a fucking laser beam. Just tight spiral, tons of speed on it. And it looked like he was just backyard passing, looked so fucking easy.

Edit: 06 divisional round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yQegH5pC6M
View Quote

god damn.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2020 Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins are decent examples.

Tanking, by itself, doesn’t get the job done. You have to tank, you have to have a front office that can draft, and you have to have a coaching staff that can develop players and put it all together.

I think Belichick the HC can do the job, but I don’t think Belichick the GM is up to the task.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s both.

Wilson has played behind a bottom 5 O-line most of his career. It’s probably already a sore subject, but watching Mahomes run for his life while Brady could hang out with good protection had to hit home for Wilson. He probably felt like he was seeing a microcosm of his own career in 3rd person.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tanking might kinda work in the NBA, I haven't seen evidence of it working in the NFL.
View Quote

Worked for Indy in a big way (Suck for Luck).
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Question for non-Chiefs homers and non-Brady-haters:

Do you think there is even a decent chance Mahomes will catch Brady for GOAT status?  And by that I mean the consensus who the GOAT is.  Not just some random people claiming it, some members of the media trying to get clicks, etc.

IMHO, I don't think he does.  We saw just in the past 10 years from Wilson and Rodgers that just because a young and very promising QB wins a Super Bowl early in their career and things look great for the future there's no guarantee they'll even win ONE more Super Bowl and Mahomes would probably need SEVEN more.
View Quote

Anything’s possible but his salary hit on the team is almost crippling. Brady’s wasn’t
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Tanking, by itself, doesn’t get the job done. You have to tank, you have to have a front office that can draft, and you have to have a coaching staff that can develop players and put it all together.

I think Belichick the HC can do the job, but I don’t think Belichick the GM is up to the task.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and they also didn't simply tank, they traded draft picks and players to gain more picks.

remember when the browns had something like 8 or 9 first round picks over several years and they still went 2-8700 under hugh jack? you're absolutely right it takes absolute team to succeed at 'tanking.'
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#44]
also remember the NBA has a lottery system for the number one pick, it's not an absolute like the NFL.

you could argue tanking easier in the NFL. at least in the nfl the true worst teams get a better pick. in the NBA, you get more ping pong balls in a lottery system. it's never a guarantee what pick you'll get.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's both.

Wilson has played behind a bottom 5 O-line most of his career. It's probably already a sore subject, but watching Mahomes run for his life while Brady could hang out with good protection had to hit home for Wilson. He probably felt like he was seeing a microcosm of his own career in 3rd person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's both.

Wilson has played behind a bottom 5 O-line most of his career. It's probably already a sore subject, but watching Mahomes run for his life while Brady could hang out with good protection had to hit home for Wilson. He probably felt like he was seeing a microcosm of his own career in 3rd person.

I know we have discussed how there weren't a whole lot of options for Tom, but the more you look at what the Bucs had to offer, the more unbelievable the whole situation is/was.

Tampa, in Florida, no income tax, great financial incentive, great weather incentive. By all reports his family loves living there.

Bucs had Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, OJ Howard & Cameron Brate already in place on the offense. I'm sure he had already spoken with the team and Gronk about bringing him in as well. Was the 4th scoring offense in 2019.

They had Suh, Barrett, JPP, Devin White and Lavonte David all in place on the defense.

Their offensive line was coming off a year where they were ranked 7th by PFF, 2nd in pass blocking.

Then the team drafts Tristan Wirfs in the 1st round to make the O-Line that much better. They draft Winfield at Safety in the 2nd round who played a great season. Then they bring in the misfit studs, Fournette and Brown.

No wonder Tom Brady was so happy this year. You look back at it all and it is like a wet dream for a quarterback. He must have been going to sleep with the goofiest fucking smile every night. I can't think of a better situation that I have ever seen a QB walk into, let alone the GOAT QB.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tanking might kinda work in the NBA, I haven't seen evidence of it working in the NFL.

Until they broke their toy and it went home early.

Edit: Also, that was a solid Colts team that went from 9 straight playoff appearances to being 2-14 the next year because of Manning's injury. So they sucked for 1 year with a lot of parts already in place. Hence immediately going to 3 more straight playoff appearances with Luck starting the next year.

The team's we're talking about tanking are not in good situations with one injury leading to one bad season and the best draft pick.

Double Edit: Unless the Saints roll with Hill next year and drop to last place and get the 2022 1st pick while retaining Kamara and Thomas and Cam Jordan and such. That could be a similar situation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Find out your wife was having sex with your coworker(s) and see how fun you are at work.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I know we have discussed how there weren't a whole lot of options for Tom, but the more you look at what the Bucs had to offer, the more unbelievable the whole situation is/was.

Tampa, in Florida, no income tax, great financial incentive, great weather incentive. By all reports his family loves living there.

Bucs had Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, OJ Howard & Cameron Brate already in place on the offense. I'm sure he had already spoken with the team and Gronk about bringing him in as well. Was the 4th scoring offense in 2019.

They had Suh, Barrett, JPP, Devin White and Lavonte David all in place on the defense.

Their offensive line was coming off a year where they were ranked 7th by PFF, 2nd in pass blocking.

Then the team drafts Tristan Wirfs in the 1st round to make the O-Line that much better. They draft Winfield at Safety in the 2nd round who played a great season. Then they bring in the misfit studs, Fournette and Brown.

No wonder Tom Brady was so happy this year. You look back at it all and it is like a wet dream for a quarterback. He must have been going to sleep with the goofiest fucking smile every night. I can't think of a better situation that I have ever seen a QB walk into, let alone the GOAT QB.
View Quote

Agreed. Even if you allowed Brady himself to write his 2020 script beforehand, it never would have looked that good. It's shocking how perfect it was for him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a weird situation.  Still in his 20's, playing on one of the more loaded rosters in the league, probably one ring away from a Hall of Fame career, and then it's just "alright, I'm gonna head out."

If it was a Rocky-type situation where he was told one more hard blow to the head could kill him or something like that, okay.  But, IIRC, he only had like one concussion.  But hey, if the game was just a paycheck for him and he made enough to retire on it makes sense to quit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's both.

Meanwhile, Russell is stuck dodging defensive ends, line backers, and crazy drug addicts in dreary Seattle.
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top