BCM
User Panel

Page / 415
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What are you basing that on?

Tom Brady is a sample size of one. He's the exception, not the norm. All other evidence points towards Rodgers's sun setting by the time he hits 40.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also depends on what GB thinks they have in Jordon Love. Is he real, or is GB about to get exposed if Rodgers leaves?

If Love is a legit QB, and if Rodgers squeezes the front office hard enough, I could see trading him to Denver for something like a 1st and a defensive star like Justin Simmons.

That kid is going to have quite an uphill battle.  Being a first round QB is hard enough, but he is going to be the next guy in line after 30 years of Favre and Rodgers.  To top it off there are also almost certainly going to be Packers fans claiming that if they would have spent that first round pick on a lineman, cornerback, whatever that they would have won another Super Bowl with Rodgers.

The Packers made their bed and then took a fat, steamy shit in it with their draft last year.

Rodgers having an MVP season was not at all predicable, but the drama growing before us absolutely was.

I absolutely think GB's draft selections had a negative impact on this season and likely cost them a trip to the Super Bowl, and the QB controversy drama was obvious to everyone the second the Love pick was announced. There are going to be what-ifs for a long, long time.

How and when the Packers move on from Rodgers might be a question that doesn't have a right answer. It's going to be a mess.

Rodgers has several years of top production left in him. I'm happy to address his succession when the time comes. We all know how fast things can change in the NFL. 4 years ago we were wondering if the Chiefs could ever even make it out of the AFC. 6 years ago the Seahawks were a budding dynasty. 3 years ago Cleveland was coming off a stretch of winning 4 games in 3 years.

Things change, really fast.

Tom Brady is a sample size of one. He's the exception, not the norm. All other evidence points towards Rodgers's sun setting by the time he hits 40.

By the time he hits 40. He's 37 today. I'll take that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, he's 37 so isn't that several years? Maybe "top" production could be a bit optimistic looking at guys like Rivers last years, but I think the gist of the point is valid.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I said its "probably not a great sign going forward." So unless you're claiming a QB and a HC taking shots at each other IS a great sign going forward, I'm not sure what you're attempting to argue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's be kinda funny if Rodgers started acting out in an attempt to get more money from the Packers and they responded by trading him to a team like the Jets.

LOL...

I'm a huge Packers and Rodgers fan but apparently he needs a clean pocket and a SB defense or nobody is worthy. He's no Brady at this point only needing 1 year to get there.

Can you tell his actions are rubbing me the wrong way.

Haha, yeah, I get it though.  It's pretty shitty diva behavior for a QB that's been with a team for over a decade to make the mistakes he did in a playoff game and then basically throw his coach under the bus, claim no responsibility (based on what I saw), and then make comments that cause people to think he is considering leaving the team.

It was shitty of Rodgers and LaFleur. They both took shots at each other in the post game. Rodgers questioning the FG, LaFleur talking about taking the FG because Rodgers couldn't get it done in the redzone.

They should both know better, one being a head coach, the other being around as long as he has been.

Edit: Rodgers just made his more dramatic with his future talk.

Agreed, but I think Rodgers' behavior was worse.  IIRC, LaFleur was asked what his thinking was in going for the FG.  I think the fact that they couldn't gain a single yard on 3 plays so he didn't exactly have high hopes they could gain 8 yards on 1 play is legitimate.  Though he probably could have worded it better.

Regardless, yeah, when you have your franchise QB and HC taking shots at each following a loss it's probably not a great sign going forward.

This is a Stephen A quality take. The two have been working together more successfully than all but maybe 3 HC/QB pairs over the last 2 years. I'll take that body of work over vague comments made in the wake of a disappointing playoff loss.

Right, because clearly a team winning games last season completely disproves the opinion that a QB and a HC taking shots at each other is "probably not a great sign going forward."

Again, if it becomes a problem going forward I'll be happy to discuss it. A this time it's just a pair of competitive guys saying things in the heat of the moment after a very disappointing loss.

I said its "probably not a great sign going forward." So unless you're claiming a QB and a HC taking shots at each other IS a great sign going forward, I'm not sure what you're attempting to argue.

I don't think comments make immediately after a bad loss are relevant to a multiple year working relationship.

By your logic, Dak's 5 years of perfect health, which was ended by a brutal leg injury is a bad sign going forward.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Its hard to imagine our team without Rodgers. Hope they can work it out before he falls off the cliff. Brady is the only one that seems to be able to drink from the fountain of youth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The remaining part of his contract features high cap numbers (~20% of cap space) that aren't great for the team and a complete lack of guarantees that aren't great for the player.

Rodgers is 37 years old, he just played a MVP season, and he has $0 in guaranteed money in front of him. He's talking about a new contract, and I don't blame him for doing so. It's a very precarious position.

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

Its hard to imagine our team without Rodgers. Hope they can work it out before he falls off the cliff. Brady is the only one that seems to be able to drink from the fountain of youth.

Rodgers will be 37 until mid next season. He is currently under contract for 3 more seasons (40 years old). If he finishes his current contract with the Packers, he will be older than Favre was when they dumped him.

The league may be a little more forgiving of age now-a-days with how Brees and Brady are doing at 42 and 43... But... We also saw what happened with Manning at the end and he never even made it to 40. Peyton won the MVP at age 37 (Rodgers winning this year at 37) and 2 years later his TD% was less than half his career average, his INT% doubled, couldn't even make it to 60 comp%.

So the question will be, do the Packers think Rodgers is going to continue to be great like Brees and Brady, or is he gonna fucking plummet like Manning (or Favre's last season)?

They drafted Love for a reason. But then Rodgers played great this season. Either way they will have a shit or get off the pot decision to make here real soon.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Packers made their bed and then took a fat, steamy shit in it with their draft last year.

Rodgers having an MVP season was not at all predicable, but the drama growing before us absolutely was.

I absolutely think GB's draft selections had a negative impact on this season and likely cost them a trip to the Super Bowl, and the QB controversy drama was obvious to everyone the second the Love pick was announced. There are going to be what-ifs for a long, long time.

How and when the Packers move on from Rodgers might be a question that doesn't have a right answer. It's going to be a mess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also depends on what GB thinks they have in Jordon Love. Is he real, or is GB about to get exposed if Rodgers leaves?

If Love is a legit QB, and if Rodgers squeezes the front office hard enough, I could see trading him to Denver for something like a 1st and a defensive star like Justin Simmons.

That kid is going to have quite an uphill battle.  Being a first round QB is hard enough, but he is going to be the next guy in line after 30 years of Favre and Rodgers.  To top it off there are also almost certainly going to be Packers fans claiming that if they would have spent that first round pick on a lineman, cornerback, whatever that they would have won another Super Bowl with Rodgers.

What's funny is some Packers fans here were actually claiming they had a good draft when pretty much every "expert" I saw graded them at a C or worse.

The Love selection was, and remains, simply baffling.

I usually don't pay much attention to sports media, but I was enthralled with the Cousins and Garoppolo QB situations and how teams would handle it.  The Rodgers/Packers quandary has the potential to be even more entertaining.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What's funny is some Packers fans here were actually claiming they had a good draft when pretty much every "expert" I saw graded them at a C or worse.

I usually don't pay much attention to sports media, but I was enthralled with the Cousins and Garoppolo QB situations and how teams would handle it.  The Rodgers/Packers quandary has the potential to be even more entertaining.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which Packers fan here was claiming they drafted well?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I just posted, but saying again to highlight.

Manning won the MVP with insane numbers (better than Rodgers this year) at 37. At 39 he was a steaming pile of hot garbage, getting benched, and carried across the finishing line on a plank. Edit: His TD% went down from 8.3 to 2.7, INT% went up from 1.5 to 5.1.

Brett Favre went from a 68 comp%, 4200 yards, 33 TDs and 7 INTs in 2009 to 60 comp%, 2500 yards, 11 TDs and 19 INTs in 2010. Edit: His TD% dropped in half, his INT% tripled.

Shit can happen fast.

Which I hope I never have to see with Tom.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Would you trade away an MVP QB for a first round pick and a defensive starter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the other catch, isn't it? Does Rodgers want money or his best possible shot at one last ring?

The idea of Watson going to Miami and Rodgers going to the Jets and turning the AFC East into a giant battle with the Patriots as the basement dwellers amuses the hell out of me, but that's probably not the best fit.

I really, really hate this idea, but the one team that seems to have the best blend of draft capital and roster construction for a guy like Rodgers is... Denver.

Interesting, but does Denver have the draft capital to make an offer worthy of Rodgers?

Miami at least has the picks to make it happen.

Rodgers’s value depends on how many potential buyers there are, how hard he squeezes the GB front office, and how teams view his contract situation. All three of those can swing his value a lot.

In general, I would expect Rodgers’s trade value to be lower than Watson just based on age.

A first and a defensive star would be a steal for Rodgers. Highway robbery, worse than the Hopkins trade.

Nope.

The thing about the Hopkins trade is that David Johnson had negative net value due to his contract. If I'm a GM and you want to send a guy like that to my team, I would expect you to package a pick with him to compensate me for the otherwise wasted cap space, and I only make that trade if I'm a tank team collecting picks. The idea that a playoff team traded away one of the very best WRs in the league to get him is astonishing. I don't think most people really understand just how bad that trade was.

Back to Rodgers... He will be 38 in the upcoming season, he's under contract until he's 40, that contract is expensive, and he's already asking for more money. Odds are against him playing as well as he did in 2020 ever again. A decision by the Packers to sign him to a new contract is very risky. Another team trading for him AND signing a contract? That's some really high stakes stuff. All of that liability hurts his value.

If the Packers were to trade Rodgers for a top-10 pick and a proven star player, there's a very high chance they come out ahead on the trade when the team who gets Rodgers might only get 1-2 years of quality play out of him.

Let's look at it from a point spread perspective. Subtract Rodgers, and add a generic first round CB, or OL, or DL or LB to the Packers as well as Justin Simmons.

What happens to the point spread against any, or all of the Packers' opponents this year?

That's a pretty shitty comparison considering QB is the only position that causes any serious line movement.

Which kinda goes to the heart of the issue, right? Top level QB play matters more than anything else.

I don't think it "goes to the heart of the issue."  A point spread moving and to what degree isn't even close to an accurate gauge of a non-QB player's importance.

Years ago the Cowboys defense was averaging giving up something ridiculous like 12 points more per game without Sean Lee.    Sean Lee would be announced to be out and the line wouldn't move even half a point.

The issue is whether or not a point spread moving and to what degree is a good gauge of how important a non-QB player is to a team.  I don't think it is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the other catch, isn't it? Does Rodgers want money or his best possible shot at one last ring?

The idea of Watson going to Miami and Rodgers going to the Jets and turning the AFC East into a giant battle with the Patriots as the basement dwellers amuses the hell out of me, but that's probably not the best fit.

I really, really hate this idea, but the one team that seems to have the best blend of draft capital and roster construction for a guy like Rodgers is... Denver.

Interesting, but does Denver have the draft capital to make an offer worthy of Rodgers?

Rodgers’s value depends on how many potential buyers there are, how hard he squeezes the GB front office, and how teams view his contract situation. All three of those can swing his value a lot.

In general, I would expect Rodgers’s trade value to be lower than Watson just based on age.

A first and a defensive star would be a steal for Rodgers. Highway robbery, worse than the Hopkins trade.

Nope.

The thing about the Hopkins trade is that David Johnson had negative net value due to his contract. If I'm a GM and you want to send a guy like that to my team, I would expect you to package a pick with him to compensate me for the otherwise wasted cap space, and I only make that trade if I'm a tank team collecting picks. The idea that a playoff team traded away one of the very best WRs in the league to get him is astonishing. I don't think most people really understand just how bad that trade was.

Back to Rodgers... He will be 38 in the upcoming season, he's under contract until he's 40, that contract is expensive, and he's already asking for more money. Odds are against him playing as well as he did in 2020 ever again. A decision by the Packers to sign him to a new contract is very risky. Another team trading for him AND signing a contract? That's some really high stakes stuff. All of that liability hurts his value.

If the Packers were to trade Rodgers for a top-10 pick and a proven star player, there's a very high chance they come out ahead on the trade when the team who gets Rodgers might only get 1-2 years of quality play out of him.

Let's look at it from a point spread perspective. Subtract Rodgers, and add a generic first round CB, or OL, or DL or LB to the Packers as well as Justin Simmons.

What happens to the point spread against any, or all of the Packers' opponents this year?

That's a pretty shitty comparison considering QB is the only position that causes any serious line movement.

Which kinda goes to the heart of the issue, right? Top level QB play matters more than anything else.

I don't think it "goes to the heart of the issue."  A point spread moving and to what degree isn't even close to an accurate gauge of a non-QB player's importance.

Years ago the Cowboys defense was averaging giving up something ridiculous like 12 points more per game without Sean Lee.    Sean Lee would be announced to be out and the line wouldn't move even half a point.

That depends on the future outlook of the QB, the position of the first round pick, and the career outlook of the defensive player. All three of those variables can shift things significantly.

Assuming Rodgers get it, the last three MVP QBs are Rodgers, LJax, and Mahomes. Do you think those guys have roughly the same value? I sure as hell don't.

I've beat the dead horse on 1st round pick value enough, I hope, but a top 5 pick, a top 10 pick, and a later pick are again, very different things.

And how many high end defensive players have we seen get traded for two 1sts and then some these last few years? Three?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The issue is whether or not a point spread moving and to what degree is a good gauge of how important a non-QB player is to a team.  I don't think it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

The issue is whether or not trading Rodgers for a pick and a defensive starter is a good idea. I say no. You seem to think yes? I put the question mark there because you seem to be arguing against it, even though you didn't answer the question, so I don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it a 37, going on 38 QB with a 20% cap hit? Is the 1st round pick top 10? Is the defensive starter still on his rookie contract?

There are definitely variables... But if the answer to those 3 questions is yes, then I am really pretty comfortable with that trade.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't think comments make immediately after a bad loss are relevant to a multiple year working relationship.

By your logic, Dak's 5 years of perfect health, which was ended by a brutal leg injury is a bad sign going forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's be kinda funny if Rodgers started acting out in an attempt to get more money from the Packers and they responded by trading him to a team like the Jets.

LOL...

I'm a huge Packers and Rodgers fan but apparently he needs a clean pocket and a SB defense or nobody is worthy. He's no Brady at this point only needing 1 year to get there.

Haha, yeah, I get it though.  It's pretty shitty diva behavior for a QB that's been with a team for over a decade to make the mistakes he did in a playoff game and then basically throw his coach under the bus, claim no responsibility (based on what I saw), and then make comments that cause people to think he is considering leaving the team.

It was shitty of Rodgers and LaFleur. They both took shots at each other in the post game. Rodgers questioning the FG, LaFleur talking about taking the FG because Rodgers couldn't get it done in the redzone.

They should both know better, one being a head coach, the other being around as long as he has been.

Agreed, but I think Rodgers' behavior was worse.  IIRC, LaFleur was asked what his thinking was in going for the FG.  I think the fact that they couldn't gain a single yard on 3 plays so he didn't exactly have high hopes they could gain 8 yards on 1 play is legitimate.  Though he probably could have worded it better.

Regardless, yeah, when you have your franchise QB and HC taking shots at each following a loss it's probably not a great sign going forward.

This is a Stephen A quality take. The two have been working together more successfully than all but maybe 3 HC/QB pairs over the last 2 years. I'll take that body of work over vague comments made in the wake of a disappointing playoff loss.

Right, because clearly a team winning games last season completely disproves the opinion that a QB and a HC taking shots at each other is "probably not a great sign going forward."

Again, if it becomes a problem going forward I'll be happy to discuss it. A this time it's just a pair of competitive guys saying things in the heat of the moment after a very disappointing loss.

Is a QB and HC taking shots at each other a great sign going forward?  Yes or no?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Bennjammin can I get a witness?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is a QB and HC taking shots at each other a great sign going forward?  Yes or no?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

I think it is neither a great sign nor not a great sign. I don't consider it a noteworthy data point. I.E. I don't think it has any effect on the Packers going forward.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious to know which Packer fan was saying they drafted well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, he's 37 so isn't that several years? Maybe "top" production could be a bit optimistic looking at guys like Rivers last years, but I think the gist of the point is valid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to argue semantics, but in my book, "a couple" is two, "a few" is three, and "several" is 4+.

If I had to guess, I would speculate that the upper ceiling for Rodgers is Drew Brees territory with a steady decline starting after his age 37 season and going flat by 40 with missed games and lost production. That's the likely best case.

He could very easily fly off the cliff as early as next season.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The issue is whether or not trading Rodgers for a pick and a defensive starter is a good idea. I say no. You seem to think yes? I put the question mark there because you seem to be arguing against it, even though you didn't answer the question, so I don't know for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

My very first post in this discussion:

"That's a pretty shitty comparison considering QB is the only position that causes any serious line movement."

That's the only thing I'm saying or arguing as it relates to this specific discussion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"That's a pretty shitty comparison considering QB is the only position that causes any serious line movement."

That's the only thing I'm saying or arguing as it relates to this specific discussion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

This specific discussion is about whether or not trading Rodgers for a first round pick and a defensive starter would be a wise move. I say no. You have made no comment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think it is neither a great sign nor not a great sign. I don't consider it a noteworthy data point. I.E. I don't think it has any effect on the Packers going forward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

If you think it's not a great sign then you're agreeing with my post.

"...neither a great sign nor not a ...."

That sentence might give our resident grammar nazi a brain aneurysm.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Manning won the MVP with insane numbers (better than Rodgers this year) at 37. At 39 he was a steaming pile of hot garbage, getting benched, and carried across the finishing line on a plank. Edit: His TD% went down from 8.3 to 2.7, INT% went up from 1.5 to 5.1.

Brett Favre went from a 68 comp%, 4200 yards, 33 TDs and 7 INTs in 2009 to 60 comp%, 2500 yards, 11 TDs and 19 INTs in 2010. Edit: His TD% dropped in half, his INT% tripled.

Shit can happen fast.

View Quote

Which is interesting when discussing the controversy over the Love draft pick, especially factoring in that in 2017 Rodgers was on IR a majority of the season, 2018 Rodgers was severely injured from week 1 on, and in 2019 Rodgers played better but not necessarily how you would expect a healthy Rodgers to play and with many in the sports media saying he was already washed up.

It may not have been an ideal draft pick, especially if you're of the "win now" mindset, but if you had any concern over Rodgers falling off the same cliff Manning did then it makes a lot more sense then many are willing to admit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

It's a nothing. I don't consider it whatsoever in my thoughts about the future of the Packers. I think the results of my latest soil samples with respect to calcium and magnesium levels are also not a great sign for the future of the Packers.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be fair, Arians and Brady seemed to be taking some shots at each other early on also. Seems to have worked out so far
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Is it a 37, going on 38 QB with a 20% cap hit? Is the 1st round pick top 10? Is the defensive starter still on his rookie contract?

There are definitely variables... But if the answer to those 3 questions is yes, then I am really pretty comfortable with that trade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Side note: I think what Brady is doing at 43 might be giving some people a very unreasonable expectation of what Rodgers will be at 40.

A lot of people seem to forget that in Manning's last season at age 39 he was statistically the worst QB in the NFL.  This came a couple of years after winning the MVP at 37.

Say, isn't Aaron Rodgers winning the MVP at age 37 too?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I hate to argue semantics, but in my book, "a couple" is two, "a few" is three, and "several" is 4+.

If I had to guess, I would speculate that the upper ceiling for Rodgers is Drew Brees territory with a steady decline starting after his age 37 season and going flat by 40 with missed games and lost production. That's the likely best case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pulled up to take a look. Drew Brees had one of his best years ever at age 37 (WTF, Manning, Brees, Aaron, all going off at exactly 37?). He threw for a career high 5,208 yards, 37 TDs, 70 comp%.

His yardage has gone down incrementally every year since, however his passer rating went up, his TD% went up and his INT% went down. So he kinda got better in some important areas with that high efficiency dink and dunk Kamara/Thomas offense.

But he also missed games in the last 3 seasons due to old man bones.

I would like to think Aaron is healthier than a 37 year old Brees, but Aaron is a run and gun QB. He has like 3,000 more rushing yards (and rushing hits) than Brees, and he has already been sacked many more times than Brees in 90 fewer games. So maybe that has taken a toll. But then again he has played 90 fewer games, so maybe he has that juice still. /shrug
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Meanwhile...

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fair enough, that's why I asked if it was several.

My book is different. "A couple" is two, "a few" is three, "several" I assume to be from two to four, "a handful" is five, and after that things get convoluted
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Meanwhile...

View Quote

I would be thrilled to see the Pats bring in Stafford, but I'm not so sure he would want to go there. Their offensive weapons are arguably one of the worst in the league. The only thing they have going for them is a ton of cap space and Bill is the coach.

Not sure Stafford is ready to go from a shitty coached/run team with decent tools, to a well coached/run team with shitty tools.

Also not sure the Patriots can afford the Stafford cap hit while trying to bring in replacements in a LOT of places.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This specific discussion is about whether or not trading Rodgers for a first round pick and a defensive starter would be a wise move. I say no. You have made no comment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

I don't care.  I was, again, simply pointing out that I thought using point spread movement as a gauge to see how important a non-QB player is to a team was retarded.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#29]
It's a dam shame everyone is even talking about the possibility of trading a HOF QB that still has juice left in the tank...

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't care.  I was, again, simply pointing out that I thought using point spread movement as a gauge to see how important a non-QB player is to a team was retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

So would you, or would you not make that trade?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's a nothing. I don't consider it whatsoever in my thoughts about the future of the Packers. I think the results of my latest soil samples with respect to calcium and magnesium levels are also not a great sign for the future of the Packers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

So a QB and HC trading shots at each other in the media is as relevant to that team's future as your soil samples? I'm going to have to disagree you with there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

To be fair, Arians and Brady seemed to be taking some shots at each other early on also. Seems to have worked out so far
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winning cures all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's a dam shame everyone is even talking about the possibility of trading a HOF QB that still has juice left in the tank...

https://i.imgur.com/EfBRJjf.gif
View Quote

I know, right?  

Rodgers is the reason GB was in the NFCCG both last year and this year. The Packers should be in win now mode. Not rebuild. Most of the pieces are there, they just need a little more help and a few good breaks to get over the hump.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So a QB and HC trading shots at each other in the media is as relevant to that team's future as your soil samples? I'm going to have to disagree you with there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

Are you asking a question? I think I've stated a number of times that's what my opinion is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

I would have to look into the specifics of it to give an answer and I don't care enough to look into them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/EfBRJjf.gif
View Quote

It could be worse.

You could have back-to-back Super Bowl wins, be set to dominate the next decade and probably end up with 3+ Super Bowl wins..... and then your owner and HC get in a fight and he leaves.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Which is interesting when discussing the controversy over the Love draft pick, especially factoring in that in 2017 Rodgers was on IR a majority of the season, 2018 Rodgers was severely injured from week 1 on, and in 2019 Rodgers played better but not necessarily how you would expect a healthy Rodgers to play and with many in the sports media saying he was already washed up.

It may not have been an ideal draft pick, especially if you're of the "win now" mindset, but if you had any concern over Rodgers falling off the same cliff Manning did then it makes a lot more sense then many are willing to admit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit can happen fast.

Maybe.

Any time you're managing an operation whether it's a NFL franchise, a military unit, or a taco truck, direction and strategy are important. You need to know what you are doing and have a plan to accomplish that goal. The whole NFL knew what the Chiefs had in mind after the selection of Mahomes was announced, when Miami "Tanked for Tua," and when the Bucs signed Brady. Those are crystal clear QB moves from a direction and strategy standpoint.

I didn't get that vibe from the Jordan Love selection. That didn't look like a balls out "let's get our QB of the future" move to me. Was it just an opportunistic thing? Did the Packers burn a 1st on a high upside backup? Or was he the guy all along, and the Packers just kept subtle about it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are you asking a question? I think I've stated a number of times that's what my opinion is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

You made a new statement and I was simply disagreeing with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

Meanwhile you won't answer the original question. Got it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Winning cures all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winning cures all.

I think Brady is just enjoying a system where he and the coach can both be honest and shoot the shit and talk smack. It took 20 years but now he's getting to experience a "player's coach" in the NFL. Little less rigid, little looser to end his career.

And yes, winning while doing so makes it work/better.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

What original question did you ask in this discussion?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

Now you can't read either?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Winning cures all.
View Quote

In that case, why worry? Two 13-3 seasons in a row, no reason to think that would dramatically drop off.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I didn't get that vibe from the Jordan Love selection. That didn't look like a balls out "let's get our QB of the future" move to me. Was it just an opportunistic thing? Did the Packers burn a 1st on a high upside backup? Or was he the guy all along, and the Packers just kept subtle about it?
View Quote
Green Bay thought that Love was the next Mahomes.  It's the only conclusion which fits all the facts:

1. A-A-Ron was still playing at a high level, and is too young to expect an immediate drop-off;
2. They got him in the first round;
3. They traded up to get him; and
4. They jumped for joy when they made the selection.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

I skimmed the quote tree and didn't see any "oringal question" from you in this discussion other than the "are you asking a question" you made a couple of posts ago.

I think you just got confused and rather than simply admit you made a mistake you're likely going to follow your SOP when you realize you're wrong and try to turn this into another shit show in an attempt to take the focus off of it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maybe.

Any time you're managing an operation whether it's a NFL franchise, a military unit, or a taco truck, direction and strategy are important. You need to know what you are doing and have a plan to accomplish that goal. The whole NFL knew what the Chiefs had in mind after the selection of Mahomes was announced, when Miami "Tanked for Tua," and when the Bucs signed Brady. Those are crystal clear QB moves from a direction and strategy standpoint.

View Quote

IMO it was insurance, and I've said that quite a few times.

Poor backup play from Hundley and Kizer highlighted a hole in the roster and that losing Rodgers was riskier for GB than it was for many teams.

A high upside backup in case of injury for the short term, hopefully some time to develop into a NFL QB, and if Rodgers did fall off the cliff they have someone to plug in and evaluate.

The clear direction to me is having a plan for the future in place and some insurance so you don't get blindsided by equally bad years that got the last coach fired.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In that case, why worry? Two 13-3 seasons in a row, no reason to think that would dramatically drop off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winning cures all.

One of those problems of being super successful but not successful enough. You make it to the playoffs year in and year out. Perpetual winners of the North. But never get over the hump.

Shit, Chargers fired old man Shottenheimer after a league leading 14-2 season with the #1 offense and #7 defense because they lost to the Patriots in the playoffs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I skimmed the quote tree and didn't see any "oringal question" from you in this discussion other than the "are you asking a question" you made a couple of posts ago.

I think you just got confused and rather than simply admit you made a mistake you're likely going to follow your SOP when you realize you're wrong and try to turn this into another shit show in an attempt to take the focus off of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

I asked you a number of times whether you would trade Rodgers for a first round pick and a defensive starter. You haven't answered. The closest you got to an answer was saying that you didn't care, which seems curious considering how long this quote tree is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winning cures all.

That's not the kind of "winning" I, personally, was referring to.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I asked you a number of times whether you would trade Rodgers for a first round pick and a defensive starter. You haven't answered. The closest you got to an answer was saying that you didn't care, which seems curious considering how long this quote tree is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

That was a completely different discussion.  Are you drunk?
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top