Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there someone out there who argues anything different?

Yes.

What? You're claiming that's "clearly reflective of NFL fandom as a whole"?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

[Looks at calendar] So far.

Three weeks from now could be different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'd have Manning above Rodgers?

[Looks at calendar] So far.

Three weeks from now could be different.

Even if Rodgers loses this weekend I still couldn't put Manning ahead of him.  He was great in the regular season, but lets' look at his postseason career.

Ring #1: won in a postseason in which he threw more than twice as many INTs as TDs.

Ring #2: won in a season in which Manning was statistically the worst QB in the NFL.  

Outside of those postseasons in which his teams won despite him and not because of him Manning has a 7-13 postseason record.

Furthermore in 9 of his 12 postseason appearances he went one and done.  Usually as a home favorite.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You also should factor in dome stadiums. Brees and Manning spent most of their careers indoors and in Southern conferences. That makes padding their stats a bit easier.

Rodgers is in one of the two worst stadiums to play in during the winter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 50-50 on that.

Comparing Manning to Rodgers is fairly easy. Their careers overlapped by 10 seasons. The funny part about comparing QBs from one era to another is when it's Favre vs. Brady. Their careers overlapped by ten seasons as well, but Brady is still playing some 30 years after Favre was drafted. That's ridiculous.

Now, as to when rules changes happened to favor offenses (specifically, the passing game)? The first major one came after the '03 season, when New England beat the shit out of Indy in the playoffs. Irsay and the Colts complained to the league and a new emphasis on calling PI was instituted. Manning set all sorts of records again the next year in '04...and still got beat by the Patriots in the playoffs.

The next big wave of offensive-friendly rules started after 2010. From that point on, passing records started falling left and right because defenses were being hamstrung even more.

You also should factor in dome stadiums. Brees and Manning spent most of their careers indoors and in Southern conferences. That makes padding their stats a bit easier.

Rodgers is in one of the two worst stadiums to play in during the winter.

You know what? You're right.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Interdasting. The Packers are 16-2 at home under LaFleur.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Even if Rodgers loses this weekend I still couldn't put Manning ahead of him.  He was great in the regular season, but lets' look at his postseason career.

Ring #1: won in a postseason in which he threw more than twice any INTs as TDs.

Ring #2: won in a season in which Manning was statistically the worst QB in the NFL.  

Outside of those postseasons in which his teams won despite him and not because of him Manning has a 7-13 postseason record.

Furthermore in 9 of his 12 postseason appearances he went one and done.  Usually as a home favorite.
View Quote

You make a good point about Manning's shortcomings in the postseason. Having said that, Rodgers' playoff career is even worse.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A couple years ago I may have put Manning above Rogers but now I am not so sure. I seems like Manning played in that transitional time when rules changes really made the passing game king but I really don’t know the exact dates of the changes.  

I know the old QBs today would have taken too much of a beating as recently as the 90s and likely wouldn’t be still playing into their late 30s or 40s.  

It is so hard to rank QBs from different eras.
View Quote

That reminded me of this video that popped up on my youtube feed the other day.

That Time Rookie Peyton Manning Dueled Steve Young in a Game Filled with Legends | NFL Vault Stories

When I think Peyton Manning, I don't think about him dueling guys like Steve Young, yet they played against each other in that game. And to be fair I also don't think of guys like Tom Brady when I think about Favre's games, yet they've played each other as well. It's kind of amazing that we have these "eras" in our heads but often players didn't play completely inside them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You make a good point about Manning's shortcomings in the postseason. Having said that, Rodgers' playoff career is even worse.
View Quote
4 NFC Championships and one Superbowl win?  On a team that can't attract free agents?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Tom Brady is GOAT.

Not only the best QB of all time, but the best player in NFL history, ever.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
4 NFC Championships and one Superbowl win?  On a team that can't attract free agents?  
View Quote

Well...they made it to the championship game 4 (5 now) but they were only NFC champs once.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's had post season games where he certainly wasn't the elite QB you'd expect, but he's also had post season games where he made magic happen.

I don't remember that necessarily being the case with Manning's postseasons, but I could be wrong as I don't remember them as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He's had post season games where he certainly wasn't the elite QB you'd expect, but he's also had post season games where he made magic happen.

I don't remember that necessarily being the case with Manning's postseasons, but I could be wrong as I don't remember them as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is because of how quickly they usually ended.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well...they made it to the championship game 4 (5 now) but they were only NFC champs once.
View Quote
That's still pretty impressive for anyone not named Montana or Brady.  It's the paradox of a playoff.  Unless you win the Superbowl, you're going to end the year on a stinker.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's still pretty impressive for anyone not named Montana or Brady.  It's the paradox of a playoff.  Unless you win the Superbowl, you're going to end the year on a stinker.
View Quote

Impressive, but not necessarily as impressive as one might think. I still stand by the fact that most of those losses weren't even close to being Rodgers fault, but that won't matter to most people.

Attachment Attached File

edit: on second glance this might not be accurate... I'll have to double check later.

edit edit: Favre's should be reversed, 2 wins 3 losses. Not sure on the rest, I'll check those later.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tom Brady is GOAT.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#16]
It’s obvious the NFL, media, advertisers, CBS, etc will want Mahomes and the Chiefs to win this weekend.

However, who do think they want to win the NFC Championship?  

My guess is Brady and the Bucs would garner more interest than Rodgers and the Packers, but it’s not a no-brainer like the AFC is.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tom Brady is GOAT.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/87D543F5-C33B-475C-95CD-45D86133DAC9-476.gif

did you happen to even glance at david_esm's post on the previous page?

i know GOAT convos will always be subjective, especially in a sport like football, but god damn we may never see another player like brady in our lifetime.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It’s obvious the NFL, media, advertisers, CBS, etc will want Mahomes and the Chiefs to win this weekend.

My guess is Brady and the Bucs would garner more interest than Rodgers and the Packers, but it’s not a no-brainer like the AFC is.
View Quote

i feel like Rodgers got a lot more national love this year than Tom. seems like a lot of people wrote tom off, or they didn't expect the bucs to be in the conference champ game.

tom is definitely more polarizing than aaron, but packers have fans everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

i feel like Rodgers got a lot more national love this year than Tom. seems like a lot of people wrote tom off, or they didn't expect the bucs to be in the conference champ game.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Packers have more fans than the Bucs, but I think Brady probably has more fans than Rodgers.

Also about 1/3 of the people that watch the Super Bowl are in other countries.  I imagine the greatest player to ever play the sport is a bigger international draw than the MVP who won one championship a decade ago.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Packers have more fans than the Bucs, but I think Brady probably has more fans than Rodgers.

Also about 1/3 of the people that watch the Super Bowl are in other countries.  I imagine the greatest player to ever play the sport is a bigger international draw than the MVP who won one championship a decade ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you'll never guess who were number one and two and jersey sales this year...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:07:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mahomes and the GOAT probably.  I’d be shocked if Rodgers was in there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Josh Allen and Brady?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:40:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Josh Allen and Brady?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Josh Allen and Brady?

HK was right, mahomes #1 and brady #2
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dunno.

Have we already forgotten the hate/disgust so many fans had for NE & Brady for being so dominant? Not to mention the cheating allegations or the "favored by the refs" allegations. I also saw plenty of shade being thrown at TB12 for not meeting with/shaking hands with certain QB's this year, specifically ones that beat them.

I also think Rodgers doing so much more media this year has really helped his public image. People flat out comment to McAfee's show that "Aaron Rodgers Tuesdays" has changed their opinion of him.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:38:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Let's say the Bucs win:

This could be the SPIN,

The "Old Man" against the "Kid" who could not beat him to get to the Super Bowl.

OR

Brady against the Bills, "The Rivalry Continues". (AFC East)

More than likely though it will be KC v GB. (Bummer)
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:55:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I really don't see the Bucs beating the Pack in Green Bay in late January. Way too much going on in favor of the home team and Tampa's defense isn't really that good. It's mediocre-to-ok.

My prediction is Packers win by 17. I want to be wrong, but suspect I won't be.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I really don't see the Bucs beating the Pack in Green Bay in late January. Way too much going on in favor of the home team and Tampa's defense isn't really that good. It's mediocre-to-ok.

My prediction is Packers win by 17. I want to be wrong, but suspect I won't be.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Interesting who the final 4 teams remaining are. No teams with dominant defenses remaining, it's basically the 4 top MVP candidates at QB with okay to average defenses. Any of these 4 can win the Superbowl, and I don't think the odds difference between #1 and #4 is all that different.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Interesting who the final 4 teams remaining are. No teams with dominant defenses remaining, it's basically the 4 top MVP candidates at QB with okay to average defenses. Any of these 4 can win the Superbowl, and I don't think the odds difference between #1 and #4 is all that different.
View Quote

I think Brady is going to give GB all they can handle....hope not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will be a dogfight. Packers will probably need to score 35 to win. Brady is going to do a lot of scoring.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not sure I believe either of those, but these four teams being the final contenders says a LOT about why the MLB sucks and the NFL is better.

Buffalo
Green Bay
Kansas City
Tampa

Those all small markets. That can never and will never happen in the MLB.

Kansas City is actually the largest left by city population, but I think the Tampa metro is slightly larger than KC. KC and GB also have a lot of people outside their metro areas.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Buffalo and Cleveland having good teams is great for the NFL as a whole. The fall of the Patriots (this year) brings a little balance to the force.

Very excited to see where Cleveland goes next year. I think Baker Mayfield is good enough, they have a young nucleus and a good (great?) coach finally.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Let's say the Bucs win:

This could be the SPIN,

The "Old Man" against the "Kid" who could not beat him to get to the Super Bowl.

OR

Brady against the Bills, "The Rivalry Continues". (AFC East)

More than likely though it will be KC v GB. (Bummer)
View Quote

How is that a bummer?

Even if you're just a random football fan with no preference for any of those teams, KC vs GB sounds like an absolutely explosive matchup of a game.

Give me a Super Bowl where both teams score 40+.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I believe either of those, but these four teams being the final contenders says a LOT about why the MLB sucks and the NFL is better.

Buffalo
Green Bay
Kansas City
Tampa

Kansas City is actually the largest left by city population, but I think the Tampa metro is slightly larger than KC. KC and GB also have a lot of people outside their metro areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buffalo
Green Bay
Kansas City
Tampa

Wow, I never caught on to that but you're right.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Buffalo
Green Bay
Kansas City
Tampa

View Quote

Yep. l know people have tried to disprove it, but you can't deny that teams that spend more money tend to be a bit more successful.

Pittsburgh Pirates- cheapest team, #26 best

Dodgers- usually #1-#5 in spending, perennially good the last decade.
Yankees are always big spenders, usually win their division.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Buffalo and Cleveland having good teams is great for the NFL as a whole. The fall of the Patriots (this year) brings a little balance to the force.

Very excited to see where Cleveland goes next year. I think Baker Mayfield is good enough, they have a young nucleus and a good (great?) coach finally.

View Quote

Agreed. They nailed the draft in 2020 and nailed the coaching hire. Improve the LB and DB corps a little, and figure out a way to get rid of OBJ, and they should be set for a while. As long as Baker doesn't expect to make 45M a year. He has to recognize that when he has a great O line, like this year and his final year at Oklahoma, he has success. When he doesn't, it can get ugly. If I were Baker, I think I'd try to negotiate a long term deal, for a relatively low yearly cap hit, but with a strong injury guarantee. Get lots of the money up front, and then play for 7 years for 22 Million with incentives available. The Browns will not be contenders if Baker is making top QB money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How is that a bummer?

Even if you're just a random football fan with no preference for any of those teams, KC vs GB sounds like an absolutely explosive matchup of a game.

Give me a Super Bowl where both teams score 40+.
View Quote

Might surprise you to find out that both the Bucs and Bills averaged more points than the Chiefs this season...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bucs were the #8 defense by scoring. #6 by yards allowed. #1 against the pass. #6 highest turnover differential. #7 in sacks.

So by every measure the Bucs are a top 10 defense. I would say that's pretty dominant. Especially being #1 in passing with how the league works now-a-days.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I dunno.

Have we already forgotten the hate/disgust so many fans had for NE & Brady for being so dominant? Not to mention the cheating allegations or the "favored by the refs" allegations. I also saw plenty of shade being thrown at TB12 for not meeting with/shaking hands with certain QB's this year, specifically ones that beat them.

I also think Rodgers doing so much more media this year has really helped his public image. People flat out comment to McAfee's show that "Aaron Rodgers Tuesdays" has changed their opinion of him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno.

If we learned anything from Howard Stern, it is that people tune in to watch people they hate just as much as people they love. People who hate Tom will watch hoping to see it be his end/downfall.

Edit: Tom brings in the New England fans, Tampa fans, the sport history fans who want to continue seeing his legendary career, New England haters, Tom haters, Falcons/Saints/Panthers fans who want to see the Bucs get stomped, etc.

And the one underlined, the haters, is probably a larger audience than Rodgers brings just on it's own.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep. l know people have tried to disprove it, but you can't deny that teams that spend more money tend to be a bit more successful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buffalo
Green Bay
Kansas City
Tampa

I come into the NFL thread and have to be reminded that my Pirates suck, have sucked for most of my life, and will continue to suck for the foreseeable future?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Saints will receive a 3rd round compensation pick in each of the next two drafts for losing Terry Fontenot to the Falcons. Falcons giving two free 3rds to the Saints. Of course the Saints outlook is so negative they probably figure it won't change much for them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Calvin Johnson, "It will feel like a slight," to not be selected first ballot.

Fuck off Calvin. You are one of the most physically gifted people to ever play the game, but you left early. You have no CAREER stats to brag about. You have single game and single season stats.

You're not even in the top TWENTY for touchdowns.
Not even in the top THIRTY for yardage.
Not even in the top FOURTY for receptions.

TO didn't get in until his 3rd ballot (3rd in TDs,  3rd in yards, 3rd in receptions).
Marvin Harrison 3rd (5th in TDs, 9th in yards, 9th in receptions).
Cris Carter 6th (4th in TDs, 13th in yards, 13th in receptions).

And you think it is a slight if you don't go first? Go fuck yourself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Tom Brady has not thrown an INT on the road in his last 368 attempts. The longest streak in NFL history.

The last time he threw an interception on the road was week 1 against the Saints.
I had to look it up because I didn't believe it with his 11 interceptions this season, but that is pretty fucking amazing. 9 straight road games, including 2 in the playoffs, without an interception.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Bucs were the #8 defense by scoring. #6 by yards allowed. #1 against the pass. #6 highest turnover differential. #7 in sacks.

So by every measure the Bucs are a top 10 defense. I would say that's pretty dominant. Especially being #1 in passing with how the league works now-a-days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bucs also finished the regular season as the #4 defense by EPA/play.

Buffalo, KC, and GB are all approximately average defenses by that metric.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Fuck off Calvin. You are one of the most physically gifted people to ever play the game, but you left early. You have no CAREER stats to brag about. You have single game and single season stats.

TO didn't get in until his 3rd ballot (3rd in TDs,  3rd in yards, 3rd in receptions).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't have a dog in that fight, but based on your post, I see it as the Frank Gore conundrum.

There are volume stats and then there are efficiency stats. Volume stats are largely just indicators of longevity (Frank Gore). Efficiency stats are better indicators of things like talent and/or scheme depending upon who or what you are evaluating.

Let's review the Drew Brees discussion from the previous page:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Does Brees hold any of the big passing records as of today?
Major NFL records held by Brees include:
Most career passing yards
Most career pass completions
Highest career completion percentage
Most pass completions in a season
Highest single-season completion percentage
Highest single-game completion percentage
Most touchdown passes in a game (tied)
Most consecutive games with a touchdown pass

From where I sit, the career yards and career completions stats aren't super special when you're talking about a guy that was in the league for 20 years. Those completion percentage stats? Now THOSE are really special.

Looking at Johnson's stats and list of records and knowing the context of the team he did that with, what he did is pretty incredible. He has 9 league records listed on his Wiki page, and none of them are based on longevity.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ring #1: won in a postseason in which he threw more than twice any INTs as TDs.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm trying to find cheap folding tables to jump through but they seem to be in short supply. Maybe others temporarily joined the bills mafia
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Impressive, but not necessarily as impressive as one might think. I still stand by the fact that most of those losses weren't even close to being Rodgers fault, but that won't matter to most people.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/280940/Untitled-1_jpg-1785762.JPG

edit: on second glance this might not be accurate... I'll have to double check later.

edit edit: Favre's should be reversed, 2 wins 3 losses. Not sure on the rest, I'll check those later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/280940/Untitled-1_jpg-1785762.JPG

It sure won't.  It's a double edged sword.  If QBs get praise for wins regardless of the circumstances then they also get blame for the loses regardless of the circumstances.

Unless of course you're Groot in which case you can shit the bed in a postseason game and it's STILL not your fault.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#49]

Manning has 14 wins in the postseason, Rodgers (so far) has 11.

Manning has four conference championship wins, Rodgers (so far) has one.

Manning has two Super Bowl wins (for whatever it is worth, in this case, not as much as typical), Rodgers has one.

Like I said, while I have Manning ahead of Rodgers at this moment, that could change in a matter of weeks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Buffalo
Green Bay
Kansas City
Tampa

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buffalo
Green Bay
Kansas City
Tampa

You don't believe that the NFL, media, CBS, and pretty much anyone that has a stake in the Super Bowl getting as much attention as possible would rather have Mahomes and the Chiefs in it than Allen and the Bills?
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top