Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 415
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the Chiefs and Andy Reid, but I'm going to be rooting for the Browns tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:42:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the Chiefs and Andy Reid, but I'm going to be rooting for the Browns tomorrow.
View Quote

As a unbiased 3rd party how could you not?

KC just won it all. The Browns haven't made it to the divisional round since 1994.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

As a unbiased 3rd party how could you not?

KC just won it all. The Browns haven't made it to the divisional round since 1994.
View Quote

The Browns are going to have a tough time. The Chiefs havent really been forced to turn it on this year. I dont think Ive ever seen a 14 win be so effortless in doing it. Not that they are blowing teams out, they just go out take care of business on both sides and legitimately look like they are having fun doing it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Pam Oliver was trending (take a wild guess why) and some people were actually defending her incoherent slurring by claiming it was only because it was cold.

I saw one conversation where a guy pointed out Oliver has been like this for years.  The Oliver-supporter’s response: call him a racist.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Had to step out but can't wait for more Lamar hype

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#6]
In 3 post season games Lamar has played in he has 1 passing TD including 2019 coming into the post season as the MVP

ETA in 3 playoff games he has 1 passing TD's and 4 INT's
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:03:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In 3 post season games Lamar has played in he has 1 passing TD including 2019 coming into at the post season as the MVP
View Quote

Groot has played in 4 playoff games and he has 3 passing TDs.

However, 2 of those 3 came in the final 7 mins of the Chargers game against a soft defense when they were trailing 23-3.   To this day that remains the most incompetent offensive postseason performance I've seen through 3 quarters in my life.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:09:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh Groot. You sweet child of summer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
This would be straight up retarded, IMO.  

If the Texans trade Watson they are going to almost certainly suck for at least the next half decade.  They need draft capital (especially considering they don’t have a 1st or 2nd this year).  Not a DE who in 3 years they’ll either have to make the highest paid (or close to it) or lose him.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:14:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

However, 2 of those 3 came in the final 7 mins of the Chargers game against a soft defense when they were trailing 23-3.   To this day that remains the most incompetent offensive postseason performance I've seen through 3 quarters in my life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 3 post season games Lamar has played in he has 1 passing TD including 2019 coming into at the post season as the MVP

Ah I forgot the the 2018 one and done game.  

So adding that in he has 4 post season games with a total of 3 passing TD's, and 5 INT's with a 1-3 W-L record

Yet I'd put good money on the off season and 2021 year hype not slowing down.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:42:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn, it sounded good to hear fans in Lambeau again. Hopefully they let in a few thousand more next week.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Browns will basically need to play a flawless game. Like zero turnovers, probably 250 yards rushing, and need to force a fumble and a pick. 10 points seems like a big spread, but the Chiefs is the Chiefs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Browns will basically need to play a flawless game. Like zero turnovers, probably 250 yards rushing, and need to force a fumble and a pick. 10 points seems like a big spread, but the Chiefs is the Chiefs.
View Quote

I was curious what’s the most team rushing yards in a playoff game in the Super Bowl era so I looked it up.

The 1995 Bills had 341 yards on the Dolphins.

Three things that stood out to me glancing the numbers:

1. The 1980 Cowboys had the 2nd most with 338 yards, but only scored 1 rushing TD.

2. 2 of the top 6 are the 49ers against the Packers and they both happened in the past 8 years.  323 in 2013 and 285 last year.

3. The only team in NFL history to have 250+ rushing yards and still lose was the 1985 Browns.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't fully understand how the cap works. If the Browns cut OBJ after this season, what's the penalty?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/odell-beckham-jr-14421/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

More Incompetent than the Superbowl 48 Broncos?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey MikeESM, are there stats on how much more Rodgers is able to generate free plays, on a per snap or per game basis than everyone else?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey MikeESM, are there stats on how much more Rodgers is able to generate free plays, on a per snap or per game basis than everyone else?
View Quote

who.gif
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

who.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

who.gif

Whoops! Sorry David_ESM, I was looking at Nodak Spud receivers and parts all night and their names are Dave and Mike.

I apologize.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

In the 2nd quarter the Broncos had an 8+ minute 15 play drive that included 4 3rd down conversions that took the ball to the Seahawks' 32.

The Ravens didn't even cross midfield until about halfway through the 3rd quarter and that was only due to a Chargers' fumble giving them the ball at the 21.  The Ravens then went 3 and out and kicked the FG.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh hell.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Exactly zero of these guys has a snowball's chance in hell at slowing down Garrett.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Getting hotter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Getting hotter.
View Quote

Trade the Texans back their picks from the Tunsil trade so basically the Texans traded a top 10 franchise QB for a left tackle with one year left on his contract at the time.

But seriously, if the Texans accept anything less than 3 firsts for Watson they are beyond incompetent.  Even by Bill O'Brien standards.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Trade the Texans back their picks from the Tunsil trade so basically the Texans traded a top 10 franchise QB for a left tackle with one year left on his contract at the time.

But seriously, if the Texans accept anything less than 3 firsts for Watson they are beyond incompetent.  Even by Bill O'Brien standards.
View Quote

They totally will and we all know it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting hotter.

Watson is mostly likely driving down is own trade value, and I think there's a trade clause in his contract that gives him even more control over the situation.

If I'm the Houston GM, I would most likely accept Miami's #3 overall pick and Tua. I'd ask for more, but I'd settle for that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on how publicly stubborn Watson wants to be about not playing another down, they might have to accept less. Their only option at that point will be to not get anything AND lose a franchise QB to an early retirement, or at least get something for losing your franchise QB.

If the Dolphins and Texans wanted to be smart about it, Tua should be in the trade.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Watson is mostly likely driving down is own trade value, and I think there's a trade clause in his contract that gives him even more control over the situation.

If I'm the Houston GM, I would most likely accept Miami's #3 overall pick and Tua. I'd ask for more, but I'd settle for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting hotter.

So a single first round pick and an injury prone unproven QB for a proven top 10 (maybe top 5) franchise QB?

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Depending on how publicly stubborn Watson wants to be about not playing another down, they might have to accept less. Their only option at that point will be to not get anything AND lose a franchise QB to an early retirement, or at least get something for losing your franchise QB.

If the Dolphins and Texans wanted to be smart about it, Tua should be in the trade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watson is not retiring at age 25.  That would mean walking away from a 4 year/$156M extension that hasn't even started yet and being out of the league until he was damn near 30.

I'd call that bluff without question.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting hotter.

Nah, that's not enough. Watson was one of the top players in the league this year, on a team whose few good players are insanely expensive.

He's worth Tua, plus at least 2 first round picks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Houston will be getting plenty of calls for Watson. No reason why they wouldn't be getting some lucrative offers from a few. Not very often a guy like him becomes available.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So a single first round pick and an injury prone unproven QB for a proven top 10 (maybe top 5) franchise QB?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/d6334a57f035787c4f72a7b96fc95900/tenor.gif?itemid=7363102
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting hotter.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/d6334a57f035787c4f72a7b96fc95900/tenor.gif?itemid=7363102

So, three things:

1) Not all 1st round picks carry the same value. The picks towards the front of the draft (ie #3) carry exponentially more value than those even in the middle of the round.

2) Draft picks for the current year are worth more than future draft picks. Depending upon who is doing the trading and how desperate they are, a 1st round pick for 2022 or 2023 might only be worth a 2nd or even 3rd round pick for 2021.

3) I think most people would agree that Tua still carries 1st round trade value if traded before the 2021 draft.

The #3 overall pick + Tua would be HUGE trade value. And that Watson is an expensive guy that has some control over the situation and is going to make your life difficult if you're the Texans GM who will likely be short on options.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Houston will be getting plenty of calls for Watson. No reason why they wouldn't be getting some lucrative offers from a few. Not very often a guy like him becomes available.
View Quote

A proven top 10 (maybe top 5) QB that's 25 or younger?

I can't recall ANY time that's happened.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Its a crying shame that the Texans have come to this but they did it to themselves. Incompetent administration/coaching doesn't even begin to describe it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So, three things:

1) Not all 1st round picks carry the same value. The picks towards the front of the draft (ie #3) carry exponentially more value than those even in the middle of the round.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/0R20_D0V0Ci3c6WkrdWX5qdWELU=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/12319645/Screen_Shot_2018_08_17_at_1.21.39_PM.png

2) Draft picks for the current year are worth more than future draft picks. Depending upon who is doing the trading and how desperate they are, a 1st round pick for 2022 or 2023 might only be worth a 2nd or even 3rd round pick for 2021.

3) I think most people would agree that Tua still carries 1st round trade value if traded before the 2021 draft.

The #3 overall pick + Tua would be HUGE trade value. And that Watson is an expensive guy that has some control over the situation and is going to make your life difficult if you're the Texans GM who will likely be short on options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting hotter.

So, three things:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/0R20_D0V0Ci3c6WkrdWX5qdWELU=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/12319645/Screen_Shot_2018_08_17_at_1.21.39_PM.png

Of course early first round picks hold more value than mid or late first picks. However, a single first round pick, regardless of where, is way too little.  The only exception might be if it was the first overall and the Texans could draft Lawrence.

Also if the Texans dump Watson they are almost certainly going to suck for the next half decade.  So let's say the Texans use that 3rd overall pick on a DE or a O-lineman.  Even IF they worked out great by the time the Texans were finally good his rookie deal would be up and the Texans would either have to make him the highest paid (or close to it) at their position or lose him.  Not to mention if you're going to suck for an extended period of time it's better to really suck and get a top 3 pick every year than just kinda suck and get a 6-10 pick.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

But Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract so he can put the kibosh on any trade he doesn't like.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Of course early first round picks hold more value than mid or late first picks. However, a single first round pick, regardless of where, is way too little.  The only exception might be if it was the first overall and the Texans could draft Lawrence.

Also if the Texans dump Watson they are almost certainly going to suck for the next half decade.  So let's say the Texans use that 3rd overall pick on a DE or a O-lineman.  Even IF they worked out great by the time the Texans were finally good his rookie deal would be up and the Texans would either have to make him the highest paid (or close to it) at their position or lose him.  Not to mention if you're going to suck for an extended period of time it's better to really suck and get a top 3 pick every year than just kinda suck and get a 6-10 pick.
View Quote

You know I've never really been sold on Watson as an elite QB as he always seems to come up short. But then they throw the stats and his numbers at me and it seems I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting hotter.

So, three things:

Disagree with that.  It only takes a couple years of competent drafting and free agency and a good head coach to bring a team back to competitiveness.  Now, if they keep picking the wrong head coach and GM, they're going to suck for a lot longer than 5 years whether or not Watson stays.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

But Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract so he can put the kibosh on any trade he doesn't like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah his agent will be involved for sure, and he'll have the final say based on what offers are made. Doesn't mean calls won't be made.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You know I've never really been sold on Watson as an elite QB as he always seems to come up short. But then they throw the stats and his numbers at me and it seems I'm wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To me, it seems like Watson's defense always comes up short.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah his agent will be involved for sure, and he'll have the final say based on what offers are made. Doesn't mean calls won't be made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, for sure.  I'm just saying if someone like the Jets or the Jaguars (just for example) want to trade for him and offer more, he could say "fuck no, I'm going to a contender."
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Its a crying shame that the Texans have come to this but they did it to themselves. Incompetent administration/coaching doesn't even begin to describe it.
View Quote

And Texans fans love to blame it ALL on Bill O'Brien, but it's not even really his fault.

Let's say a father let's his 16 year old son borrowing a $25,000 car.  The son drives like shit and totals the car.  The father then says "son, I am so impressed with your responsible driving that I'm going to let you borrow my $50,000 car."  The son drives like shit and totals the $50,000 car.

Now, who's more at fault for the $50k car getting totaled?  The father or the son?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nor I, but I wouldn't consider "top 10" to mean "elite."
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Watson is not retiring at age 25.  That would mean walking away from a 4 year/$156M extension that hasn't even started yet and being out of the league until he was damn near 30.

View Quote

If it came down to it, I'd call that bluff also.

But... If I'm getting a decent offer of picks plus Tua, even if those picks aren't as high as I'd expect, it might be worthwhile to just avoid the whole headache. The only plus side of that Texans GM job is you have Watson, if Watson is going to make things difficult...well...some picks and a promising young QB on a rookie deal don't exactly sound terrible.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nor I, but I wouldn't consider "top 10" to mean "elite."
View Quote

Yeah, announcers and analysts like to throw that term around a lot when talking about the better QB's. I guess I'm guilty as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Disagree with that.  It only takes a couple years of competent drafting and free agency and a good head coach to bring a team back to competitiveness.  Now, if they keep picking the wrong head coach and GM, they're going to suck for a lot longer than 5 years whether or not Watson stays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting hotter.

So, three things:

You're talking about teams in general.

I'm talking specifically about the Texans who just hired a new GM who has, based on what someone else posted, drafted one pro bowler in the past 5+ years and that was a punter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And Texans fans love to blame it ALL on Bill O'Brien, but it's not even really his fault.

Let's say a father let's his 16 year old son borrowing a $25,000 car.  The son drives like shit and totals the car.  The father then says "son, I am so impressed with your responsible driving that I'm going to let you borrow my $50,000 car."  The son drives like shit and totals the $50,000 car.

Now, who's more at fault for the $50k car getting totaled?  The father or the son?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They went from BOB to this Easterby character having at least a heavy amount of influence. The only answer is the owner has zero clue WTF they're doing.

Imagine being an owner, and seeing a top 3 WR being traded away for peanuts, and not immediately firing people. How does that even go down without the owner being involved?

So many things have to go wrong to get where the org is at right now that its almost unfathomable.

How is this guy high up on the totem pole of any NFL front office?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

But... If I'm getting a decent offer of picks plus Tua, even if those picks aren't as high as I'd expect, it might be worthwhile to just avoid the whole headache. The only plus side of that Texans GM job is you have Watson, if Watson is going to make things difficult...well...some picks and a promising young QB on a rookie deal don't exactly sound terrible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, Watson can make things difficult for the Texans, but the Texans can also make things difficult for Watson.  If they were smart about it (or at least not retarded) BOTH parties could get what they wanted.  However, I hope they don't.  The train wreck is amusing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Excellent, we got Romo. This will be an entertaining afternoon.
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top