Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 415
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Any word on who the Patriots are seriously looking at?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any word on who the Patriots are seriously looking at?
View Quote
Not really.

Rapoport is saying he expects the Pats to move slow and buy cheap which makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If I were a betting man, knowing what we know right now, I'd put my money on the Bills.

The Bills have a damn good defense that is well established and, I think, remaining intact. On the offensive side, they just landed a playmaker that can impact games. Stefon Diggs may not be some crazy elite guy, but he's still a damn good WR, and having him out there is going to create opportunities for the other WRs/TEs.

Meanwhile, in the last month or two, the Patriots have lost their franchise QB, their two best pass rushers, Coach Scar, and their special teams coordinator. Looking at their roster, the only area that looks good right now is their defensive secondary. If they don't make some significant moves and/or kill it in the draft, 2020 is going to be a rough season for the Pats. Belichick is going to be trying to build a team out of popsicle sticks and duct tape like Tomlin was last year.

The Dolphins are loading up on talent right now, they still have plenty of cap space, and they have a war chest of draft picks. It's going to take time for all those pieces to gel and for the schemes to get established, but I don't see them being basement dwellers this year. They should be better than the Jets. They might pass the Pats, but I wouldn't bet on it. But they could still party like the Browns, too.
View Quote
I am going to agree with this. If the Bills can't take the division this year, they can't take the division.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Brees is back baby!

Who Dat!
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't believe Brady is actually gone.
The Pats better pick up somebody, instead of relying on Stidham.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2014/08/dalton1.jpg
No
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Taking a further look at the Patriots situation, they can't actually afford any of the FA QBs right now.

They currently only have $3.2M in cap space. This is partially due to their $21.5M in dead cap with highlights including $13.5M for Brady and $4.8M for AB.

The obvious fix is to trade Joe Thuney. That gets them $14.8M back. Dont'a Hightower can also be cut/traded to save $9.9M.

After that, their choices are Cam, Crab Legs, Dalton, or maybe Flacco.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wonder if Hopkins is upset with Irvin bringing that up, as it looks like he's trying to tamp it down.

Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Taking a further look at the Patriots situation, they can't actually afford any of the FA QBs right now.

They currently only have $3.2M in cap space. This is partially due to their $21.5M in dead cap with highlights including $13.5M for Brady and $4.8M for AB.

The obvious fix is to trade Joe Thuney. That gets them $14.8M back. Dont'a Hightower can also be cut/traded to save $9.9M.

View Quote
Why would you wait to pick up a QB on a bargain? They can win now....makes no sense.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why would you wait to pick up a QB on a bargain? They can win now....makes no sense.
View Quote
Because they're cash strapped. They also need a weapon or two.

Thinking about QB options for NE I think Carr could thrive in that system. He has plenty of arm talent but gets burned by stupid mistakes. If anybody creates a culture that eliminates stupid mistakes it's Bill Belichick.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Uhh...

Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Uhh...

View Quote
Wow...only a fourth?

Honestly Foles is one of the few available QB's I didn't want to see in the NFC North.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Right now Bill is sitting at home with a picture of Jimmy G. and a bucket of ice cream.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Meanwhile, in the last month or two, the Patriots have lost their franchise QB, their two best pass rushers, Coach Scar, and their special teams coordinator. Looking at their roster, the only area that looks good right now is their defensive secondary. If they don't make some significant moves and/or kill it in the draft, 2020 is going to be a rough season for the Pats. Belichick is going to be trying to build a team out of popsicle sticks and duct tape like Tomlin was last year.
View Quote
And it's going to be harder going forward.  How many guys took a discount for the chance to win?  How many now leave for greener pastures?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
They can?

They didn't win any of their big matchups last season, they got eliminated in the wild card round, a lot of things have happened to make them worse since then, and nothing has happened to make them better.

Also, they don't have money.

Quoted:

Thinking about QB options for NE I think Carr could thrive in that system. He has plenty of arm talent but gets burned by stupid mistakes. If anybody creates a culture that eliminates stupid mistakes it's Bill Belichick.
View Quote
Now you want NE to spend their summer building a dome?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Uhh...

View Quote
What the hell? That's highway robbery.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They can?

They didn't win any of their big matchups last season, they got eliminated in the wild card round, a lot of things have happened to make them worse since then, and nothing has happened to make them better.

View Quote
Oh good point, I forgot about that!
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wow...only a fourth?

Honestly Foles is one of the few available QB's I didn't want to see in the NFC North.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhh...

Wow...only a fourth?

I see this as a mistake for Chicago and a win for the Jags.

The Jags have been trying to get out of cap hell, they are more or less going through a rebuild, and there was never much of a chance Foles was going to live up to his contract. Offloading him is a massive burden off their shoulders, and it frees them up to fix their problems faster. It's almost surprising they weren't the ones packaging the pick to get rid of him.

The Bears were tight on cap space, and now they have Nick Foles under contract until the end of 2022.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
If that is the case then crab legs would be a better fit. More arm talent.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They can?

View Quote
Even with the new cap space? I haven't kept up on theirs...
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can?

What new cap space? From the CBA? That's accounted for already.

They did trade Harmon today, so that should free up another $4.5M. That leaves them around $7.7M total.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What new cap space? From the CBA? That's accounted for already.

They did trade Harmon today, so that should free up another $4.5M. That leaves them around $7.7M total.
View Quote
Yes that cap space...and no 7.7M ain't enough...

Well Johnny Football is available.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger price though. Everybody knows Winston can put up stats like Manning, Rodgers, or Brees but he'll have INT's like Nathan Peterman. The upside of being able to fix his issues is greater than Carr's so he will likely still demand more money.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I see this as a mistake for Chicago and a win for the Jags.

The Jags have been trying to get out of cap hell, they are more or less going through a rebuild, and there was never much of a chance Foles was going to live up to his contract. Offloading him is a massive burden off their shoulders, and it frees them up to fix their problems faster. It's almost surprising they weren't the ones packaging the pick to get rid of him.

The Bears were tight on cap space, and now they have Nick Foles under contract until the end of 2022.
View Quote
I see it as a win for both, but way more of a win for the Jags.

Jags get out of the contract with Foles, the QB competition that occured with Minshew Mania, and they get a semi-decent pick. They need all that to move forward.

The Bears get a better QB than Trubisky, they didn't have to give up a more valuable pick, and despite Foles contract not being cheap it's probably cheaper than if they had to sign somebody today.

I also think Foles is better than a lot of people give him credit for. I understand why people hesitate about him, but he's been in some shitty situations as well.

edit: a veteran guy like Foles is probably going to utilize those offensive weapons that Chicago has way better than Mitch did.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Uhh...

View Quote
I’m amazed the jags got to unload that contract.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhh...

Trades aren’t just about the draft picks and how good the players are.  It’s also about how much those players will be paid.  Foles will make $15.6M next season alone.  I don’t really see how trading a 4th round pick for a very good backup QB that’s making that much is “highway robbery.”

“Highway robbery” is what the Cards did to the Texans.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why the fuss about the contract?

4 years 88M (incentives up to 102M), 50M guaranteed. Breaks down to 22-25.5M per year. According to spotrac the Bears cap hit for Foles will be 15.6M this year, 20.6M next year, and 20.7M the year after that.

You've got Dak turning down 33M a year and people act likes Foles is getting paid too much?

edit: If they stuck with Mitch, and with the way people act about letting QB's walk, they'd likely have to pay Mitch more than Foles to stick around.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#28]
With the Card's picking up Hopkins and getting instantly better, freeing up cap trading off Johnson they are in a great spot to get even better.

NFC West is going to be hell.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Some people (I suspect mostly Chiefs fans) are claiming the reason Brady went to an NFC team is because he is afraid of Mahomes.

Nevermind that the NFC is the more loaded conference and odds are even if he reached the Super Bowl he’d have to play the Chiefs anyway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Some people (I suspect mostly Chiefs fans) are claiming the reason Brady went to an NFC team is because he is afraid of Mahomes.

Nevermind that the NFC is the more loaded conference and odds are even if he reached the Super Bowl he’d have to play the Chiefs anyway.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Brady isn't phased by any of his opponents. wow
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
With the Card's picking up Hopkins and getting instantly better, freeing up cap trading off Johnson they are in a great spot to get even better.

NFC West is going to be hell.
View Quote
Odds to win NFC West:

49ers -110

Seahawks +275

Rams +325

Cardinals +800
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know if it's just KC fans, but yeah I've seen plenty of people suggest he doesn't want to try and keep pace with Mahomes, Watson, and Jackson.

Nevermind Rodgers, Brees, or Wilson. Not to mention guys like Goff, Cousins, Ryan, Wentz, Prescott, or Stafford who can all compete at that level in flashes. And who knows if Murray will join the club of young QB's who are on fire now that he has another elite weapon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Trades aren’t just about the draft picks and how good the players are.  It’s also about how much those players will be paid.  Foles will make $15.6M next season alone.  I don’t really see how trading a 4th round pick for a very good backup QB that’s making that much is “highway robbery.”

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhh...

Foles is a starting caliber QB. At 15M, he'll be at the lower end of non rookie contract qbs. Chicago made out like bandits in this trade.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

4 years 88M (incentives up to 102M), 50M guaranteed. Breaks down to 22-25.5M per year. According to spotrac the Bears cap hit for Foles will be 15.6M this year, 20.6M next year, and 20.7M the year after that.

You've got Dak turning down 33M a year and people act likes Foles is getting paid too much?

edit: If they stuck with Mitch, and with the way people act about letting QB's walk, they'd likely have to pay Mitch more than Foles to stick around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His contract is being re-structured, so I don't know what it's going to look like afterwards.

But a big part of it is his unproven nature. For all the shit people give Dak, he's still an above average franchise quality QB, and he's young and healthy.

Foles looks more like a one hit wonder.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The earliest example of this I've seen started with the NFL Memes page yesterday.

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1240049729536495617
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
His contract is being re-structured, so I don't know what it's going to look like afterwards.

But a big part of it is his unproven nature. For all the shit people give Dak, he's still an above average franchise quality QB, and he's young and healthy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd call him a 2 hit wonder. He had a great year with Philly, then they got rid of him, then he sucked, he came back, and won a Superbowl. He clearly has the talent to be a starting NFL QB
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like I said before, he was in some shitty situations.

1st time with the Eagles he was part of the Chip Kelly experiment. Foles actually did well for a period during that, but I don't think anybody is looking back at Chip Kelly's NFL stint and saying it was good.

With the Rams he was with Jeff Fisher. The Jeff Fisher that made Jared Goff look like a complete bust until Sean McVay revitalized that offense.

After that he is stuck as a backup in KC (no surprise as Smith is a pretty good QB) and later on admits that at this point in his career he had lost the love for football and had considered retirement.

Then he backs up Wentz in his 2nd stint in Philly and plays superman in the postseason, twice, which earns him another crack at being a starting QB.

Then he gets hurt in week 1 of being a starter for the Jags, and his backup creates a ton of hype in his absence. He's put back on the field with minimal chemistry and team that realistically had its own issues and he doesn't play awful, but he doesn't play great either, and the team decides to ride the hype train rookie for the rest of their failed season.

So yeah, his track record suggests he could be a one hit wonder, but it also suggests he hasn't been able to have a lot of good opportunities to capitalize either. We know where his ceiling and floor is, what we really need to figure out is where his "normal" is. The Bears don't seem like a bad spot for that to happen. They have a solid defense, they have weapons, and they have a decent coach.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Foles is a starting caliber QB. At 15M, he'll be at the lower end of non rookie contract qbs. Chicago made out like bandits in this trade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhh...

Nope.  In Philly he was an average-good QB.  Everywhere else he’s played like a solid backup at best thus far.  Maybe Chicago will be different, but I doubt it.  This does not look like a “highway robbery” deal for the Bears.  As I said: take a look at the Texans if you want to see a real example of highway robbery.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Now it's official.

Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Brady playing in TB might almost feel like he's playing in a different league.  The paths between those two teams rarely cross.  Interestingly, he was won more super bowls (6) than times he has played against the Bucs (4)
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
$15M is way too much to pay a back-up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#42]
The only thing I don't like about Foles going to the Bears is that the Bears already have Burton. The local broadcast crew pretty much always brings up the Philly Special when Burton gets the ball. With Foles on the roster too we can start a drinking game regarding mentions of Philly Special during Bears game telecasts.

ETA- If the Bears can successfully use the Philly Special to win a few games it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

$15M is way too much to pay a back-up.
View Quote
Don't worry, I doubt they sign Mitch to a 15m/yr deal.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you been checked for COVID-19? You seem to be running one hell of a fever.

Foles has never played a full season. He's been benched by multiple teams, most recently for a 6th round pick.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Foles has never played a full season. He's been benched by multiple teams, most recently for a 6th round pick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's also won a superbowl, and thrown for 7 TDs in a single game.

He's a substantial upgrade over Trubisky, with a reasonable salary. Believe me, I hope he sucks in Chicago. But I don't think he will.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He's a substantial upgrade over Trubisky, with a reasonable salary. Believe me, I hope he sucks in Chicago. But I don't think he will.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
He's there to put pressure on the trubble...
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/114465/mxCe03B_png-1321798.JPG
Didn't he get hurt, not benched for Minshew?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Both.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
He lasted a couple games before getting benched after he came back from injury.
Page / 415
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top