Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2001 9:25:29 AM EDT
SB20 and SB172 passed the state assembly(YEAH!) and are headed to the Republican Gov. Kenny Guinn's desk. SB20 allows out of state visitors to get a NV ccw. SB172 lifts the restriction on the number of guns a permitee may have on CCW. I wrote many letters and made many phone calls on this one. Should go into effect in July,2002. Out of staters can begin applying in a few weeks if signed.Anybody else got good news?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Good news indeed. I do believe that you must qualify with the "more than two" weapons though.
This is a good deal. Sometimes I would prefer to pack something other than my two named   pistols. Hurry up and get it on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I take it the proposal to allow all out-of-state CCW permit holders to carry did not pass?
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#3]
If I want to spend the weekend near Reno to go shooting with my evil FAL (with the pistol grip attached), where do you NV guys suggest I go?
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 12:40:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Any where you want to. If you go south about 50 minutes on US395 you'll come to a lovely area called Douglas County. We have a kickass public range(300 yd,$2 a carload). Go into Hamdog's ( thats my work) and ask for Ron( they would probably know who you were talking about if you said gunmonkey,too.)We are always open. And you can pack iron if you like, openly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks gunmonkey. Is there any way to bypass Carson City? Everytime I go down there I always get delayed by the traffic leading into Carson City from Lake Washoe. I was thinking some place north near Spanish Springs or east towards Fernley. But if you guys are near Gardnerville, that would be cool too because I haven't been there is a couple of years. What's the rule regarding rapid fire? I always wanted to try it but the ranges here in the PRK are too anal.

My wife and I just got married up in Reno on April 5th and we got to see a lot of that area. If they had computer jobs up there I would be moving soon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 1:04:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SB20 and SB172 passed the state assembly(YEAH!) and are headed to the Republican Gov. Kenny Guinn's desk. SB20 allows out of state visitors to get a NV ccw. SB172 lifts the restriction on the number of guns a permitee may have on CCW. I wrote many letters and made many phone calls on this one. Should go into effect in July,2002. Out of staters can begin applying in a few weeks if signed.Anybody else got good news?
View Quote

Slightly off-topic, but what I don't get is when the topic comes up of laws for CCW reciprocity.  I thought the Constitution required each state to give "full faith & credit" to the acts of other states.  Meaning in my non-expert mind that if your state granted you CCW rights, that other states would have to allow you to exercise your right in their state.

Can somebody identify why reciprocity law are needed?

[red][size=4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Apparently full faith and credit doesn't count for us. Most states with CCWs have some kind of reciprocity,like we'll honor yours if you honor ours,but Nevada was high and mighty(sheriff's assoc. I think) didn't think all states were up to our standards.Having taken the NV CCW standards I can tell you that a friggin monkey could pass it.
As far as rapid fire is concerned, you must have permission from the sheriff to shoot full autos at the range. There really is no supervision,and everybody is pretty cool. I got to rapid fire a custom AR15 at gongs using an ACOG last time I was there. Affixing bayonets and charging down a hot range is another story( for another time.)
As far as road construction, we have a saying. " In Nevada there are only 2 seasons, winter and road construction.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 1:59:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Article IV, Section 1 "Full faith and credit" applies only to the fundamental rights enjoyed by US citizens. I think it was written mostly or the benefit of legal judgements. For instance, your marriage is valid in every state no matter where you get married. However, the fact polygamy is legal in state X does not confer that right automatically to residents of state Y simply by virtue of it being a right in state X. The states have the right to set overruling local policy.

Regarding Article IV, Section 2, In Corfield v. Coryell (1823) Justice Washington wrote, "[W]e cannot accede'' the opinion proceeds, ''to the proposition . . . that, under this provision of the Constitution, the citizens of the several States are permitted to participate in all the rights which belong exclusively to the citizens of any particular State, merely upon the ground that they are enjoyed by those citizens;..."

That about says it all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah, the right to keep and bear arms is not "fundamental".CCW would be bearing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
mattja, just go out in the desert somewhere safe. I just came in from my favorite shooting place. About 2.5 miles from the house a hill for a backstop and a dirt mound to sit on. I tote a few milk jugs up there for targets. Set them up and shoot. I do always keep a loaded something on my at all times though. I'd sure hate to be up picking up my targets and have someone take off with the rifles at the line.
Noone has ever stopped though. In all of the time I have shot there only 3 vehicles have passsed by when I was shooting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#11]
MDS, I'm worried about trespassing on private or BLM land. I wouldn't want my rifles to get taked by some ranger or someone like that. Do you know a specific area off 80 or 50? Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Not anything specific. Just make sure that it's not posted. Something like 95% of Nevada is owned by the government. Open to us citizens is a better part of that. Most land that you should come in contact with should be BLM land.
Get somewhere off the beaten path and insure all is safe and shoot away. Ths is not california. You shoold be OK. Have fun and fill us in on the outing.
Be safe, MDS
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
its a bit of a ride but go to Gerlach then head off onto the playa - you can actually go all the way to winemuca by dirt roads - camp for a few days out there somewhere and shoot what ever however you like - Its called the Black Rock desert and its a cool place for all kinds of fun - dirt bikes, jeeps, gunscamping - you name it. [beer]
Link Posted: 5/19/2001 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
There are many great places to shoot in the desert.I only go to the range to sight in my rifles. I have a killer spot about 11 minutes from my home or one I can stop and shoot on my way to work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top