User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I put an aftermarket turbocharger on my Solstice car I was so used to safety wiring stuff on my airplane that I drilled the cap screws on the compressor and turbo and put safety wire on those screws just to feel good...
ETA: I hate the guys that don't bend the pigtail back on itself!

https://a4.pbase.com/o6/72/325172/1/83060852.0ljJk732.Saftywire1.jpg
View Quote
No.  You did it because you're retired, single, bored and your black lab was sound asleep on the shop floor.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
7:30-8:00 to loose, all pigtails to short.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

See the video link I posted above.  He build Jet engines and covers the types and methods, it's longer, but I believe cover all actual rules.  No absolute limit, but something about beyond 3 is more hassle for no extra benefit or something to that effect.

I agree with him, though a single wire through 6 is prettier, not any safer than 3 at a time.
View Quote
@brass

See the post below yours for actual limits.  I work turbine engines also.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Way too many perfectionists.  

Is it in the right direction - Yes/ No
Is there a pigtail - Yes / No

If yes, it's good.
Fuck it, fly it.

This is what an avionics technician safety wire job looks like.

https://i.redd.it/45hcu5xucubz.jpg

If you want to learn how it's done in Aviation -
Chapter 7-123. SAFETY WIRE.
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/99c827db9baac81b86256b4500596c4e/$FILE/Chapter%2007.pdf
View Quote
That's the work of a man with no self respect.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Here come all the propulsion guys, out of the wood work.  

Just please please please make sure you are wearing safety glasses.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here come all the propulsion guys, out of the wood work.  

Just please please please make sure you are wearing safety glasses.  
View Quote
I tried to stay out of it.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For the Air Force it's under 1-1A-8, 16.1.4.a:
"...The number of bolts, nuts, screws, etc., that may be wired together depends on the application. When securing widely spaced bolts by the double-twist method, the maximum number of bolts that can be wired in a series is three. When securing closely spaced bolts, the number that can be secured by a 24-inch length of wire is the maximum number in a series. ..."

And from the FAA:
"When drilled head bolts, screws, or other parts are grouped together, they are more conveniently safety wired to each other in a series rather than individually. The number of nuts, bolts, or screws that may be safety wired together is dependent on the application. For instance, when safety wiring widely spaced bolts by the double twist method, a group of three should be the maximum number in a series. When safety wiring closely spaced bolts, the number that can be safety wired by a 24-inch length of wire is the maximum in a series. The wire is arranged so that if the bolt or screw begins to loosen, the force applied to the wire is in the tightening direction."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

204 series says 3 is the max.
No it doesn't.  The max limit is conditional.
For the Air Force it's under 1-1A-8, 16.1.4.a:
"...The number of bolts, nuts, screws, etc., that may be wired together depends on the application. When securing widely spaced bolts by the double-twist method, the maximum number of bolts that can be wired in a series is three. When securing closely spaced bolts, the number that can be secured by a 24-inch length of wire is the maximum number in a series. ..."

And from the FAA:
"When drilled head bolts, screws, or other parts are grouped together, they are more conveniently safety wired to each other in a series rather than individually. The number of nuts, bolts, or screws that may be safety wired together is dependent on the application. For instance, when safety wiring widely spaced bolts by the double twist method, a group of three should be the maximum number in a series. When safety wiring closely spaced bolts, the number that can be safety wired by a 24-inch length of wire is the maximum in a series. The wire is arranged so that if the bolt or screw begins to loosen, the force applied to the wire is in the tightening direction."
I was always told 3 is the max.  AF jet engine shop for 9 months.  Then they sent me to go fly jet aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was always told 3 is the max.  AF jet engine shop for 9 months.  Then they sent me to go fly jet aircraft.
View Quote
QC or QA say a lot of things.  Neither they or I are always right.  We eventually come to an agreement over what the book says, though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

QC or QA say a lot of things.  Neither they or I are always right.  We eventually come to an agreement over what the book says, though.
View Quote
I agree with going to the book.  Show me in black and white.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No.  You did it because you're retired, single, bored and your black lab was sound asleep on the shop floor.
View Quote
You got two out of three...
Yup, I'm retired and single - but no, I'm not bored in the least and I didn't have a dog then...
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
For typical double safety wiring three is the limit.  The single strand up to two feet is an outlier for less common circumstances.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:36:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Former aircraft maintainer checking in. I'd say you did well for your first shot at it
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top