Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why does civil discourse have to be buried in one area of the forum?
Why can't people treat others the way THEY would want to be treated?
Some of you guys could work on that concept.
View Quote
It's more like you're finding the one place (GD) where it's more lax and saying we're the problem. Literally every other part of ARFCOM is like what you want
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

you gotta be trolling.

You recently retired, is @Extorris or @runcible having you prank us?
View Quote
Yea. Something is off
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

you gotta be trolling.

You recently retired, is @Extorris or @runcible having you prank us?
View Quote
I'm not trolling
Its how I treat people, I'm not sure why its so hard for some others.
I'm only semi-retired.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a warning for saying STFU. If that's all it takes then the rest of you are fucked lol.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The juvenile stuff needs to go, for starters.
View Quote
You mean like photo stories with action figures or did you mean gifs showing sparks off a cat dragging its ass on the carpet?

Personally, I could do without all the crybaby poo-but whiners who are compelled to whine about anything they don't like or agree with 100%.

This place used to be amazing. People had meetups, went shooting together, and even had cool discourse in GD - all without anybody getting butthurt.

Unless somebody was making overtly racist posts or threatening to kill somebody...nobody really cared. It was all like water off a duck's back. Didn't mean shit to a tree.

Now you can't post the exact same things hundreds of members (including Mods) posted just over 5 years ago. Now you'll be excoriated for saying you will not comply with unconstitutional laws.

This ain't your father's Arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Loosen the tinfoil hat, bro.  It’s cutting off circulation
View Quote
Found one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Miami JBT, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. No one comes here to discuss things with a bunch of bobble heads. Most of the time you and I agreed on things but not always. There is always something to learn from each other.

For the whiners all I can say is get a life. The take away is people here really need to lighten up, learn to walk away when you have said your piece and enjoy the camaraderie. We have more in common than what we don't if you listen more than you talk. The COC is what we all agreed to follow, so whining about it is truly childish. The rules are reasonable and not all that hard to comply with. If you got issues , you are the problem. Wake up and have some fun.

You do a good job and thanks for taking on a really brutal job that should be easy but isn't. God bless.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
They need to chill out. GD isn't a fucking serious section. We like edgy jokes, funny memes, light humorous trolling, general assholery.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Think before you speak.  Speak less than you think.  Be respectful.  Don't tug on Superman's cape, don't spit into the wind.  Is that so hard?
View Quote
YES !!1!!1
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#13]
tl;dr
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to use some of that OP for Thanksgiving. Probably get food thrown at me.

Thanks JBT
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No offense, modding doesn't suit you.  I mean that in a respectful way.
View Quote
I agree, also with @pscutton. OP is too trigger happy with the lock button and edits without a reason.

Even mentioning "black culture" will get edited right out as if mods think it shouldn't even exist or god forbid be discussed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@tc556guy

Here is what you seek.
What's even funnier is there will always be some preachy religious thread on GD about how this country is failing because of a lack of morals/ethics/values/human compassion/empathy/Christian virtue. It will be some 5+ page thread railing about how evil this world has become with a bunch of hand wringing and virtue signaling.

Then 10 minutes later there is a thread about an elderly woman being rescued on a helicopter and falling to her death...and 90% of the comments are edgy jokes with zero human compassion. Exhibit A.

So much hypocrisy here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Miami - I have no doubt the job is hard.

I saw you get piled on for the "waste of site resources," I didn't agree with you locking the thread but I thought the blowback was a little dramatic.

Overall I think you've been a very valuable member here and have contributed more to gun rights than nearly anyone else.

I agree people need to chill out, dissenting opinion here is no longer tolerated in a variety of discussions and its tiring.

I do think over the past few years there has been a flood of "chan" type behavior.  I saw another poster mention that type of behavior in the past week, it is generally newer posters who need to "out-edge" one another.  It gets old.

Hopefully the site will stabilize and get back to a sense of normalcy at some point.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think a lot of that is because it's one of the few places we have left.  You can't be a conservative on social media without fear of getting banned, deplatformed, or demonetized. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, you name it, the left wing censors are out to stifle conservative speech and conservative thought.

So we come here--the "home of the evil black rifle"--to find other freedom-minded people. It's all we have. Sure, we can have small-scale discussions with friends and family on Whatsapp, but this is on of the only places where there are thousands of us in together.

And now, we're starting to see the same heavy-handed moderation here that we get everywhere else. It's disconcerting. Nobody wants ar15.com to turn into Facebook, where you just can't discuss certain points of view.  And nobody wants it to turn into TheHighRoad, where you can't talk to anybody.
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Free Enterprise

All About the Money---Brownells

PC Police Are Now Here

Slowly the Box Closes

The Walls Collapse

Fighting Each Other for Entertainment

What Americans Do Better than Anyone Else

FIGHT!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#20]
@Miami_JBT

I agree with the sentiment of your post, and I do think that you are a stand-up guy.

I want to echo what others have said that moderation MUST be consistent.  But that is only half the issue.  Moderation must come with a degree of understanding.

While I am not about to re-litigate my own suspension years ago, I got caught up with a classic troll that was baiting people to break CoC.  He found one in me.  What did we get?  I caught a time-out, and the troll moved on to the next victim.  Eventually, he got banned, but how many did he take with him?  I don't know.

We can't lose good members because of getting tangled up in the CoC.  I realize that you said that it takes "a lot" to catch a permaban, and I do believe you.  However, I've been here for over a decade.  Some of the members that are no longer with us, I don't ever remember them being a constant issue with CoC.  Some were extremely valuable resources to the site and to its members. Now, they are cut off from us, and our community is weaker and worse for the lack of them.

Last night, a guy posted his warning PM and I honestly couldn't believe that he'd catch a warning for such a trivial thing.  By the standards applied there, I should have gotten a permaban for what I said to my troll. (although I still feel like I should have gotten a medal.)

We need consistency.  But we also need understanding.  And whether you realize it or not, we need to preserve our community.

I was an active member on TheHighRoad.org for years -- with over 12K posts there under the name JWarren, and was a member of the "secret" forum that had valued members in it. That was where I got to know Larry Corriea.  I watched THR tear itself apart in record time. Most won't remember when it actually (and briefly) split into THR.org and THR.com.  The divisions and heavy-handed moderation killed THR.  Before its death, they often said that if we didn't like it, we should go to AR15.com with all of those other idiots that ran their mouths.

As THR ate itself, I realized that I had to leave what I considered my "Home."  I took their advice.  AR15.com and its "Wild West" GD seemed to be the exact polar opposite of what I was watching destroy my old home.  That was when I registered an account here.  I had always lurked, but I didn't need two "home" forums.

Now, I am watching history repeat itself here.  In the last 10 years, my account has been logged on for 99.99999% of the time. I literally keep Arfcom up in a browser window all the time, even while at work.  Why? Because it is usually the first thing that I check when I come home.

Between the sheer entertainment value of threads like "Halp.... my cat is anally raping me" to breaking news that often hits hits here before the MSM, to real technical advice on everything from programming a HAM to why your 6.0 Powerstroke CAN work (RIP SpartanDiesel), this place was/is an extremely valuable place to many members, and to our community as a whole. It is valuable BECAUSE of the members.

Because the membership is the true value of the site, remember that it is transitory.  This site is literally nothing without the constant information poured into it by quality members.  Just like the mix of anally-raping cats to programming radios, you will get a lot of "waste of site resources" threads mixed in where it also produces extremely valuable posts.  It is the same with the membership.  You may have an extremely valuable member that occasionally tosses out a shitpost.  After all, as you said, we all have our off-days.

Efficiency isn't ideal in a forum.  It also isn't ideal in dealing with humans. Especially when we need all the humans that we can get coordinating and working together in our cause.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#21]
What’s going on?  Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Why can’t general discussion be a free for all with a disclaimer with anything thats posted to relieve the site of responsibility with anything that’s said, implied or done??? General discussion on arfcom reminds me of old school genmay and the something awful forums where anything goes...COC should not apply in here...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#23]
AR15 is Still the Best Forum on the net

Lets have them keep it that way.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
A ban/lock, a few locked threads, dozens of threads inquiring about said ban/locked threads that also became locked threads, presumably more bans, and thousands of shitposts referring to said events. Within the last week I believe.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:18:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What's even funnier is there will always be some preachy religious thread on GD about how this country is failing because of a lack of morals/ethics/values/human compassion/empathy/Christian virtue. It will be some 5+ page thread railing about how evil this world has become with a bunch of hand wringing and virtue signaling.

Then 10 minutes later there is a thread about an elderly woman being rescued on a helicopter and falling to her death...and 90% of the comments are edgy jokes with zero human compassion. Exhibit A.

So much hypocrisy here.
View Quote
Prior to 3 or 4 years ago it really wasn't anything that was worried about.

Most of us could manage having Christian values (you know, like the Constitution is based on?) while still having a sense of humor. Gallows humor is still humor, eh?

Their concurrence never really elicited confused self-righteous butthurt like it does now....but then back then most of us never grew up getting participation trophies nor were we schooled in the black arts of politically correct virtue signalling. Hell, most of us knew which toilet to use.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most of us could manage having Christian values (you know, like the Constitution is based on?) while still having a sense of humor. Gallows humor is still humor, eh?

Their concurrence never really elicited confused self-righteous butthurt like it does now....but then back then most of us never grew up getting participation trophies nor were we schooled in the black arts of politically correct virtue signalling. Hell, most of us knew which toilet to use.

YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much hypocrisy here.

YMMV.
I just peed in the yard. It is unisex.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A ban/lock, a few locked threads, dozens of threads inquiring about said ban/locked threads that also became locked threads, presumably more bans, and thousands of shitposts referring to said events. Within the last week I believe.
View Quote
I can remember back when I first joined locked threads and even bans were much more common. Few complained then as much as people do now. The skin has definitely gotten thinner.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why can’t general discussion be a free for all with a disclaimer with anything thats posted to relieve the site of responsibility with anything that’s said, implied or done???
View Quote
Because that's not how the world works.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
AR15 is Still the Best Forum on the net

Lets have them keep it that way.
View Quote
To be fair almost all other forums have died, many by over moderation or corporate greed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What did you get banned for?
View Quote
Wasting site resources is my bet...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What's going on?  Did I miss something?
View Quote
Somebody said Miss Piggy just blew the Swedish Chef guy.

I always heard he likes 'em THICC.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#32]
JBT should never have been made a mod and I think even he knows it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much hypocrisy here.

YMMV.
I was just fixin' to go do the same.

BRB.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
JBT should never have been made a mod and I think even he knows it.
View Quote
God's honest truth.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Seems reasonable to me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#37]
They Live!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

In order for there to be "So much hypocrisy here" as you assert, then you must prove that ALL of the people posting in the preachy threads are the exact same people posting in the "elderly woman falls to her death" thread.

There are over 500,000 accounts here, almost 346,000 of which are active, and right now there are  1,436 Team Members and 1,157 Members logged in.  Community Information And Statistics.  Do you REALLY believe that the 2,593 people who can post right now are a monolithic, lockstep group?
View Quote
Bro...things were so much simpler before Grumpy Cat died.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I think the biggest issue is people that have a chip on their shoulders and can't understand that a generality isn't directed at them and not meant as a personal insult.
I've seen people come completely unglued about some of the stupidest stuff.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And therein lies some of the generational difference; there's an entire generation of gun owners who are too young to have a personal memory of what those ten years are like, and who don't live in a state with a state level ban that's currently in effect. Its like speaking Greek to them....and I think its reflected in their posting style in general.
View Quote
What does this even mean other than you want others to share your misery?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For saying stupid shit in the religious subforum when I thought I was in GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you get banned for?
For saying stupid shit in the religious subforum when I thought I was in GD.
Wow....I thought I was the only one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's a shame that a desire for people to act like adults is seen as a stick being buried too deep.
I think that too many people don't know how act in a civil manner, and that is reflected in their posting styles
edit for spelling because posting from my phone sucks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That stick is planted really deep
It's a shame that a desire for people to act like adults is seen as a stick being buried too deep.
I think that too many people don't know how act in a civil manner, and that is reflected in their posting styles
edit for spelling because posting from my phone sucks
I get what you are saying.  Understand that most people come to gd to have fun and be uncivilized.  Change he to your liking and it will wither away and take the whole site with it.  That being said, if you can't enjoy gd then stay out.  Maybe some lube would help that stick.

Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Less rules and more freedom is always better than the opposite.
View Quote
Dangerous freedom is the only real freedom.

Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#44]
The majority of online management haven't had real
World management skills.

Plain and simple
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I honestly believe that tempers are high here for a number of reasons. Politics, the changing in user age demographics, the constant assault on the 2nd Amendment, the paranoia of Social Media and how it is being used in Red Flag Laws, the change in Ownership due to a topic that is being kept in Team GD, and a whole bunch of other shit.
View Quote
I believe you...I believe you, I use to be able to come here and actually expand my knowledge base now I only come here for the occasional entertainment value.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I certainly see it. There are way more insults than are necessary for people who are simply discussing an issue
I don't know if its some peoples default way of communicating with others.
Absolutely they shouldn't be posting while intoxicated; that's never a good idea and can often end up with someone in trouble
View Quote
Did you feel the same about that when you were an active poster on DU?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
1) Some very high profile members complained loudly for years that the mods were slack in stopping people who caused “harm to site”

2) staff increased moderation, end result was many of the same people who do pained found themselves on the wrong side of the moderation. Surprise, surprise, what “harm to the site” is often in the eye of the beholder.

3) as we are wont to do, this generated endless conspiracy theories and feelings of relentless persecution. Many people think somehow Brownells is involved, perhaps with the help of The Jews, or maybe perhaps the Psychopoliticians.

4) many of the new mods seem to just now be learning about the psychology of some of them membership here they’d let themselves ignore up until now.

5) all of this is exacerbated by outside politics. This board always seems to have more camaraderie across the board when a Democrat is in office. A certain type of personality is drawn to a leadership cult, and is unable to understand criticism of their chosen leader. It was bad under Bush. I think it’s worse now with Trump, because many associate him with all their hopes and dreams in ways they never have with previous Republican politicians.

6) all of this is further exacerbated by what I call the “4-channification” of the site. There seems to be an increasing tendency to not see each other as individuals, but as internet culture-driven stereotypes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
here
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How much of the sight resources were wasted in the making of the post?
View Quote
Hard to see at this time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I honestly believe that tempers are high here for a number of reasons. Politics, the changing in user age demographics, the constant assault on the 2nd Amendment, the paranoia of Social Media and how it is being used in Red Flag Laws, the change in Ownership due to a topic that is being kept in Team GD, and a whole bunch of other shit.

I can honestly say that my limited experience as a Mod here really has shown me how hard it is to make everyone happy. It is impossible. TBS and the rest of the Site Staff has really wanted to clean up GD and the website as a whole. But it can't be a heavy handed approach. It is a fine balancing act. The problem is, differing opinions are just that.

What some think the problem is of trolling in reality is someone else having a differing opinion. When some here think this is a Pro Trump site gets all pissy when someone else have a criticism of the President they accuse others of being Never Trumpers. The same can be said with the Pro/Anti LE discussions. I'm for legit criticism of cops when they fuck up. Just as I am about the military and government as a whole. But we draw sides and just beat each other to death over stupid shit.

The biggest issue is that fact that since people bitch, instead of follow the rules (like if a Mod takes action and the member believes it wasn't warranted, bring in Site Staff for review) they just add fuel to the fire and bitch. Seriously, if you feel a Mod did something you don't agree with. Contact the Mod and discuss it or contact Site Staff. They'll review it and if need be smack the Mod and say "No, bad Mod" if it is a legit fuck up on the Mod.

Another issue is that the community shouldn't be and isn't based simply on the most popular members get a pass at shit and for a bit, it kinda happened. And now that the rules are being applied more across the board. Shit is getting warnings for something that originally would have been swept under the rug. But that comes back to people taking shit way to seriously on some stuff.

I can also tell you this.

It honestly is pretty hard to be permanently banned from here and even then, most are allowed to come back. I was banned for stupid shit and allowed to come back after I apologized and agreed to follow the rules, which honestly I try. I don't want to have issues with other members here. Even the ones I don't always agree with. Because guess what.... I do agree with them on other shit.

I firmly believe this is a great place and it still could be in the future. But I think people are taking things way too seriously. (Myself included sometimes, again...  emotional investment in certain topics, stress from daily life, etc. None ofnus are immune from it.)

Look, I ain't perfect. I sure as shit known that. We all have fucked up here. Arfcom is a great community with a great group of folks. We all have our own personal shit to deal with outside of Arfcom. Kids, jobs, debt, family, health, etc....  sometimes, that shit bleeds over here.

The CoC is pretty easy to understand and follow. Additionally, I think we all need to take a deep breath, Members Mods, Staff, etc.... take a deep breath. Arfcom is a hell of a community that has given me some great friends that I've had the pleasure of meeting in person at NRAAM, SHOT, Cola Warrior, the Retro Shoot, and just across daily life.

So let's all chill the fuck out. We all fuck up, we all get heated, we all get emotionally invested in shit, etc....

And yes, I'm a Waste of Site Resources and so is this Thread.

Edit, to fix a typo and waste even more site resources.
View Quote
Know what I learned since you became mod?
You can take a joke and continue it.

And you don't care what Rachel Madcow thinks.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top