Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Right after law school, I prosecuted in traffic court. I had a huge, barely manageable docket every day. If I had seen a ticket like that come through I would personally call that officer and tell him to stop wasting my and the courts time. For other things, like headlights, show me a receipt for the work or light and instantly dismissed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep. Wield your power because a guy was rude to you, cost him some money, make him take a day off work to go to the court. Take money out of his wallet and out of his kid's mouth because he pissed you off.

Thanks for your service, officer.

This is the kind of shit I was talking about earlier, by the way.
View Quote
I find I have better interactions with everyone I deal with when I’m not acting like an asshole....whether it’s a bullshit stop or not, acting like an ass is not going to make it better.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Right after law school, I prosecuted in traffic court. I had a huge, barely manageable docket every day. If I had seen a ticket like that come through I would personally call that officer and tell him to stop wasting my and the courts time. For other things, like headlights, show me a receipt for the work or light and instantly dismissed.
View Quote
@40xb

Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wait till you get a "No seat belt" ticket from a motorcycle cop.
View Quote
He gave me a warning.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#7]
We had a guy in my dept who pulled someone over for that, then found out his registration card wasn't signed.  Wrote him both tickets, then lent him his pen to sign the tickets but wouldn't let him sign the registration.  He wound up patrol commander.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Plate lights are nonsense.  The plates are retroreflective.  Short of some officer, on foot, without a light, milling around idling traffic in an area devoid of street lights and other ambient lighting, I'm having a tough time seeing a bona fide justification for these things.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Court can do whatever they want. Doesn't matter to me.

I write a ton of fix it tickets so people don't have to go to court and waste court resources.
View Quote
Are most of them late at night when the bars close...………….?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#11]
BTDT
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm waiting to get pulled over for a headlight out while sitting at a light with a turn signal on.  It's going to be fun.
View Quote
Are you referring to the driving lights that go out when you turn the turn signal on?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Plate lights are nonsense.  The plates are retroreflective.  Short of some officer, on foot, without a light, milling around idling traffic in an area devoid of street lights and other ambient lighting, I'm having a tough time seeing a bona fide justification for these things.
View Quote
There isn't any valid justification for them.
If an officer is pulling you over at night, he's got his headlights on and can see your plate just fine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Fix it ticket here ...
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I feel safer now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Did you say hi to 40xb?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Similar situation; Was working nights and got pulled over for burned out license plate bulb. Asked if I could step out and verify because I'm meticulous about my truck and didnt believe him. He stammered and stuttered but let me check. Working as intended. He said "It must be flickering, make sure you get it checked out. Have a good night."
View Quote
I did the same thing in college, it was 3am ish and he wanted to catch a dwi.

I told him that I checked all my lights before leaving (I always do) and that if it was out, I would be shocked.

sure enough, they were both working
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#22]
This thread is bordering on wasting site resources.

Consider yourself warned

Almost reported, but I am in a good mood
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I got pulled over for the same a few years ago. I was told a bulb was out, no ticket. Get home and check it both bulbs were working.  
View Quote
Yup.

Coming home from the gym one night, around 11pm, I drove past a pair of cops who were walking back to their cruiser from the car that they had pulled over. They eye fucked me hard as I drove past, at exactly the speed limit, in my completely legal vehicle. I just knew that I was getting pulled over.

I kept going. Sure enough, headlights are rapidly approaching.......then on my ass as I drove thru town. Full stop at every stop sign. Signals used. Not exceeding he speed limit, I gave them nothing to light me up for.

After a while, they light me up anyway. The female cop is coming up my side of the truck, the male cop is approaching the passenger side.

Female cop: “We are pulling you over because you have a incense plate bulb out.”

Oh? Front or rear plate?

“Umm, uh....uh, the rear.”

Huh. Ok. She had to think about the trick question for a second? Yeah, ok.

“Where are you going? Where are you coming from? Why are you coming from there?” On and on, as she looks over my license and registration, while the male cop is searching my bed, wheel wells, back seat thru the window with his flashlight. She takes my info back to the cruiser. A minute later, she’s back.......

“Since you’re a local, we are giving you a break. We could give you a ticket, but we won’t tonight. Have a good evening.”

I get home, two miles up the road, no license plate lights are out.

Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sounds like a little late night fishing to me...
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah. The LED headlight goes completely off when the turn signal is on. Daytime, just the accent light.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you referring to the driving lights that go out when you turn the turn signal on?
Yeah. The LED headlight goes completely off when the turn signal is on. Daytime, just the accent light.
What vehicle? I'm pretty sure on most of the vehicles I've paid attention to,  the headlight itself stays on. I will definitely pay more attention now, though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In my state it's a fixit ticket that's dismissed when you fix the deficiency
View Quote
If he gets if fixed, it's probably $15 in his county.  I never cite for it, I just warn.  I always stop POS Hondas driving around at 0400 with license plate lights out.  That's a mail theft, car burglar or parolee 75% of the time, unless it's a newspaper delivery guy who is an illegal with a suspended DL.

Given that OP is so upset about it, I bet he earned the cite with his attitude.

I never cite for it on dirtbags, so I leave the PC for the next time I want to stop them.

Decent people, taxpayers, get a warning and they fix their issue and have no further problems.

If you don't want your police hunting around conducting fishing expeditions at 0400 on rolling shitboxes, you don't understand how crime and the criminal element works.

That's how we catch burglars, car burglars, thieves and parolees riding dirty.  We find them with stolen property from other crimes and when we put them in jail, they are not free to prey upon decent people.  Too bad CA doesn't keep anyone in jail anymore.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#28]
A 10 level pmcs prior to operation of vehicle will resolve these issues at least weekly.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#29]
My plate light hasnt worked since about 2004
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Some of the led strip ones do go off when the turn signal is on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What vehicle? I'm pretty sure on most of the vehicles I've paid attention to,  the headlight itself stays on. I will definitely pay more attention now, though.
Some of the led strip ones do go off when the turn signal is on.
Yeah, that's what we're talking about. I am pretty sure that it's mandatory per FED regulations that the driving/decoration/whatever lights goes off when the turn indicator is on. I've never noticed a headlight doing so, however. I'd like to know more about that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
PSA: I would only pull over for that if I thought the person was OWI but for me to think the person was OWI I would have to see a lot more things than a burned out LP bulb.
View Quote
How do you catch criminals, bro?  If my guys wanna bust drunks, great, I'll support that, to an extent.  But, on my shift, if you're not stopping for equipment violations after 0200, you're gonna hear from me.  That's how we catch parolees and dirtbags rolling.  You warn the taxpayers and send them on their way.  The parolees, junkies and thieves rolling around criming get hammered.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#32]
For fifteen years my start time at work was 03:00. Whenever I drove to work from a different location (recently moved, stayed at a girlfriend's house etc.) I would get pulled over a lot.

Whether you think it's right, a fishing expedition, whatever, the law knows for a fact that most people on the road at that hour just closed a bar. Low hanging fruit is easily picked.

Once my vehicle was recognized I wasn't bothered any more until a new officer got my neighborhood or I moved again. If you're sober and legal why does this bother you?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's what we're talking about. I am pretty sure that it's mandatory per FED regulations that the driving/decoration/whatever lights goes off when the turn indicator is on. I've never noticed a headlight doing so, however. I'd like to know more about that.
View Quote
I've noticed this on some newer cars when sitting across from me at traffic lights. Couldn't tell you the make, but they're definitely out there. It's just the daytime running light/headlight, but it's noticeable because the other headlight stays on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It could have been worse, you could have had a wetsuit in the vehicle.
View Quote
Had to go look. Jesus, 35 pages?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
You should contact your legislator and have him change the law!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If he gets if fixed, it's probably $15 in his county.  I never cite for it, I just warn.  I always stop POS Hondas driving around at 0400 with license plate lights out.  That's a mail theft, car burglar or parolee 75% of the time, unless it's a newspaper delivery guy who is an illegal with a suspended DL.

I never cite for it on dirtbags, so I leave the PC for the next time I want to stop them.

Decent people, taxpayers, get a warning and they fix their issue and have no further problems.

If you don't want your police hunting around conducting fishing expeditions at 0400 on rolling shitboxes, you don't understand how crime and the criminal element works.

That's how we catch burglars, car burglars, thieves and parolees riding dirty.  We find them with stolen property from other crimes and when we put them in jail, they are not free to prey upon decent people.  Too bad CA doesn't keep anyone in jail anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my state it's a fixit ticket that's dismissed when you fix the deficiency

I personally have zero issues with using VC violations as pretext stops, especially in the situation that you describe.
It is when the determination is made that the person stopped isn't a badguy but they still proceed with a nice long walkaround, citing for any/all things they can find is when it gets into chickenshit territory.
As a car enthusiast who has been put through the wringer before, I find it to be irritating.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They would just give a fix it ticket here, if anything at all. Probably hoping you were a drunk.
View Quote
or a criminal.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've noticed this on some newer cars when sitting across from me at traffic lights. Couldn't tell you the make, but they're definitely out there. It's just the daytime running light/headlight, but it's noticeable because the other headlight stays on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My truck has aftermarket HIDs/Halos in it. The white halo/DRL goes out, flashes amber when the blinker is on and goes back to white when the blinker shuts off.
Called switchbacks in the aftermarket lighting world.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Location, department and situation dependent around here.

CHP= Lights come on, you are getting cited for something. Flipside is I have been stopped for speeding and cited for equipment instead (way cheaper, no points). It is one of the reasons I never fun a front plate (loss leader).
Locals are a mixed bag. I have had everything from a quick 30 second chat all the way up to a walk around fishing/cite for all the things session.

That said, I seem to get pulled over about once every 10 years or so.
View Quote
haha loss leader equipment violations.  I like it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A small town near me write those to make revenue and makes almost $220 a ticket for a tag light ticket Hello Senoia Georgia , home of a speed trap where the speed drops and keeps dropping as you enter town and stop at the 2 traffic lights ,
View Quote
Didja go to court dressed as a zombie?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#41]
At least your tire tread passed. He checked that too right?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Dark Joinder.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I hope you never have to try and read a plate number on the car speeding away from you after a hit and run.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I’d love to see the dashcam from this stop.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's pretty low on my list of things to give a fuck about.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#46]
OP is African American
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Lemme guess, white man finds out what minorities deal with every day?
View Quote
Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP is African American
View Quote
Bless your heart.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A small town near me write those to make revenue and makes almost $220 a ticket for a tag light ticket Hello Senoia Georgia , home of a speed trap where the speed drops and keeps dropping as you enter town and stop at the 2 traffic lights ,
Maybe he does.  He also has a faulty memory.

EQUIPMENT VIOLATIONS:
Headlights, Taillights, Brake Lights – $120
Unsafe or Improperly Equipped Vehicle-  $120

Further, Ga has a speed trap law. Only %35 of a city's budget can come from fines. Any excess goes straight to the state general fund.

Senoia GA fine list
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top