User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's amazing what you can put a POS car through when you don't care about it. When I was a teen I had a Datsun F10 wagon that a customer abandoned at our shop because he didn't what to pay for a clutch job. It was a rusty pile of crap, with 170,000 miles on it and burned a quart of oil for every tank of gas but still ran fairly well. I figured FWD was almost as good as 4WD and used to take that thing on Jeep trails all the time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a Toyota Celica that made it through some pretty difficult trails.
It was a $450 rat I bought from a tow yard so there was a high level of ain't care, almost to that of rental car.

I have watched a few of that guy's videos. More impressive to me then the wheeling rental car is how he does some pretty challenging recoveries with a very basic setup.
No winch, no trail armor, no rigging. Just a dude with an XJ, a pintle hitch and a big rope.
It's amazing what you can put a POS car through when you don't care about it. When I was a teen I had a Datsun F10 wagon that a customer abandoned at our shop because he didn't what to pay for a clutch job. It was a rusty pile of crap, with 170,000 miles on it and burned a quart of oil for every tank of gas but still ran fairly well. I figured FWD was almost as good as 4WD and used to take that thing on Jeep trails all the time.
On beating up a car: Back in the early 90's when I was in college, I had an acquaintance that had a late 60's Dodge Dart. It had an inline 6 cylinder engine. It was actually a pretty decent car, but the paint and body was looking a bit rough. Even then, I knew that the Dodge I6 was a reliable motor. But since that Dart looked old, faded, and rusted, it got no love. When the guy had finally saved up enough money to buy a shitty car made in that decade, he decided to beat the hell out of the Dart until it failed. He beat it up for days. He could not kill it. He finally drained the oil in it, and still ran it a few miles around the neighborhood until it died. Then he had a junk yard tow it away. I liked the body style of that car and would love to have it now, but back then I had no extra money, and the older cars were just not appreciated.

Even then, I thought it was a bit sad to abuse a car like that. My dad had a Chevy Nova with a similar 6 cylinder engine. That car made it over 250k and by then the body was so rusted we had to junk it. We all thought it was an ugly car, but knew it was reliable and we drove it for years. My dad had bought it with (supposedly) 105K on it, and ran it to 250k, but as he drove the car and noticed the wear it had, in his opinion he had bought it with not 105K but 205K, and the car really made it to 350k. But he had no proof, just his impression of the car.

Back then, the odometer on most cars only went to 99,999 miles, since it was unusual to go beyond 100k, and if you did, you just had to remember how many times you turned the odo over.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If I was in that business it would be $500 to answer the phone.
View Quote
Long ago, I looked into the cost of off road recovery.  Iirc, $400 would get you a close, easy recovery, and it went up from there quick.  I was young and poor, so I just hiked back in with some friends and some shovels, and got to work.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
A buddy got his 90s Dodge Dakota stuck on a beach somewhere. The bill was $500 to start work and the guy said at any point he could refuse to continue and the $500 was not refundable. I guess he had a long tow rope and got no where near the stuck truck, but pulled it right out. Also... the guy that got it stuck had worked for the forest service in the mountains in his youth, he used to take 2wd trucks where ever he wanted but those skills didn't translate to west coast sand.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Damage wavers state no coverage off PAVED roads.

Oh and doesn't he have a winch on his recovery vehicle? Must not be needed.
View Quote
A winch only works when the recovery vehicle is standing still and has enough traction for the pull... in this guy's videos, he doesn't have the traction for that, he'd just pull his truck back into the stuck vehicle.  That's why he always gets a run at it, and uses the momentum of his truck to pull on the other.  He's using Bubba Ropes, which have a 30% stretch, to keep from yanking things *too* hard when he hits the end of the rope.

There's another video of his where a wrecker is lifting a car out of a ravine... the opposite situation, the wrecker is super-heavy (more traction) and is on dry pavement.  Since they easily have the traction, they just winch that sucker right up out of there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Long ago, I looked into the cost of off road recovery.  Iirc, $400 would get you a close, easy recovery, and it went up from there quick.  I was young and poor, so I just hiked back in with some friends and some shovels, and got to work.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I was in that business it would be $500 to answer the phone.
I was in Moab a couple of years ago. I did some trail riding in Canyonlands National Park. Recoveries on the White Rim Road started around $1,500.00. That's not really even considered "off roading". I imagine it got expensive out on the real trails .
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I present to you, from the files of the FB group "Oregon Inlet Idiots":

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/21/16/27D1BFEF00000578-0-image-a-65_1429630745622.jpg
View Quote
Ha! There’s a similar thread at noreast.com called “Blasko’s wall of shame” full of similar pics that’s gotta be at least ten years running....
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did he take the Tucson out the way it came in originally or out via the "shortcut"?

Reason I ask is that I don't see the fella making it in,  the way he went out...
View Quote
He was turned sideways at the bottom of the first hill on the "short cut", I guarantee he did not drive in from the falls side he would never make it that far. And if he did the hill would be no problem. If he stayed on the main road to the falls it would have made it fine. The short cut turn off on the main road is a decent road for a few hundred yards. Then it gets steep and rocky fast.

I live about 30minutes from there. The spot he stacks rocks for 7 minutes is the worst spot of that hill. The main road is not to bad, biggest concern is popping a tire on sharp rocks. The SXS popularity has definitely degraded the road and spun lots of rocks up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1. Thank God he was from Nevada and not California.

Watching the way in I was puzzled as there wasn't anything going down into the canyon that caused me to pause ... but from the 12:00 to 16:00 minute marks where were in some gnarly stuff that wasn't two-wheel drive cute SUV stuff. The really good drivers can tell the difference between what a Honda CRV, a Nissan Xterra, and a built-up Rubicon can handle. The number of obstacles that the Jeep can cross than the Xterra can't is small ... and the amount that the Xterra can cross that the Honda CRV can't is small again but it doesn't take but one to trap you in the bottom of a canyon way outside of Auto-Club (and cell phone) range. You're passing an obstacle every 25 feet for a few hours so you better pay attention.

The state of California tends to put "gatekeepers" early on in some of the popular trails to push people back (or to get them busted down within the first 2000 feet off of pavement). But there's many a trail that once you've started up or down there's no turning back ... like the photo of the Xterra below just about to get dented by that granite cliff face on the uphill side.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202/_DSC4460_JPG-1039033.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202/DSC_2720_smaller-798363.jpg
View Quote
Bee Canyon?
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Couple of thoughts. A cousin of mine had a job for someone, either a university or the government counting some animals or something, they were told the rental agreement cover any road that had a number, but no off-roading. This also reminds me of this story The death valley Germans. You would be surprised where you can go with balls and a careful line, but then there's foolish. Pretty clear by the looks of that road and the clearance of that car where this fits.
View Quote
Read that whole story from the SAR guy who finally found them. Very disheartening
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#10]
People always shit on rednecks until they need something done .

Wonder what that cost ? $1000?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:23:27 AM EDT
[#11]
A friend had a white Ford Probe. FWD. This guy was as hillbilly as they come. He'd make moonshine and fuit cocktail wine and bring it out to our little off-road gatherings.

We'd all be kicking tires and talking about how awesome so-and-so's new lifted truck on 44's was and ol Probe would arrive at full redline bouncing from hole to hole down whatever deer lease we were on. He'd hand everyone a shot of whatever he'd whipped up and join in on the small talk. Yep. A car on street tires made it here. No biggie.

After we'd all discussed the latest and greatest and how many huge trucks the mud hole we'd gathered around had swallowed, he'd put in a fresh dip, fire up the Probe, get a running start, and hydroplane halfway into the monstrosity.

We'd spend the next hour trying to pull him free and by then the ice was broken and everyone would give it a run.

He'd have that little motor wound out with some sisterfucking country blaring put of the pieced together stereo. It was ballsy as hell and hilarious.

That Probe was a permanent fixture in the high school shop class, getting this or that fixed. After about 3 years he eventually drove it into the river and sank it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  About 14 years ago I took a Pontiac G6 wayyyy up a trail that got a couple of Tacomas stuck, one of them had a nice lift.

I cared not for the fucking exhaust, and that was decidedly a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
LOL.  I've taken a 2wd Kia Sorento up and down stuff similar.

I think they could've driven out.  But it's hard to say if you haven't been there.
View Quote
There's always a guy that lights up the Little Pony batsignal in threads like these.

Today, you were that guy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 6:11:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I was on a run with my Jeep club one time over some Class VI "roads" in NH. They were pretty gnarly; lots of 2-3' tall rocks to pick your way over. There were several sections and a couple of miles spent on regular paved roads to get from one Class VI section to the next. You would take it out of 4 Lo and put it in 2WD for the pavement sections, then back in when you hit the Class VI. On one section of Class VI, I am finding that I am having to give it more throttle to get over the rocks and whatnot and generally having to work the Jeep harder and finding it somewhat reluctant, and spinning a tire here and there. This confuses me until I look down at the controls and realize I've been doing that section of Class VI in 2WD, having for gotten to go back into 4 Lo. I popped it back into 4Lo and continued with somewhat less drama, although it had been really doing pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL, that will be on a used car lot as a one owner lease shortly.
View Quote
Not to worry, they'll get someone who passed an ASE test to breathe on it and call it certified first.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn I love that area.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Still too may syllables. It Herkin.
View Quote
And here I thought WV had the only Herkin.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
1. Thank God he was from Nevada and not California.

Watching the way in I was puzzled as there wasn't anything going down into the canyon that caused me to pause ... but from the 12:00 to 16:00 minute marks where were in some gnarly stuff that wasn't two-wheel drive cute SUV stuff. The really good drivers can tell the difference between what a Honda CRV, a Nissan Xterra, and a built-up Rubicon can handle. The number of obstacles that the Jeep can cross than the Xterra can't is small ... and the amount that the Xterra can cross that the Honda CRV can't is small again but it doesn't take but one to trap you in the bottom of a canyon way outside of Auto-Club (and cell phone) range. You're passing an obstacle every 25 feet for a few hours so you better pay attention.

The state of California tends to put "gatekeepers" early on in some of the popular trails to push people back (or to get them busted down within the first 2000 feet off of pavement). But there's many a trail that once you've started up or down there's no turning back ... like the photo of the Xterra below just about to get dented by that granite cliff face on the uphill side.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202/_DSC4460_JPG-1039033.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202/DSC_2720_smaller-798363.jpg
View Quote
Did you keep your Xterra or trade it for the Jeep?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Should’ve rented a Range Rover.
View Quote
Good thinking, you won't get stuck if it breaks down on the way to the trail.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good thinking, you won't get stuck if it breaks down on the way to the trail.
View Quote
And you want need to call for help when that happens because distant rescuers will be able to see the smoke from the electrical fire.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#21]
People are dumb, but they can get unlikely vehicles surprisingly far in the rough stuff.

I pulled a Nissan minivan and a Chrysler 300 out of the sugar sand on the Delaware drive-on beaches this year.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll give it to the Hyundai, that it was running still and the wheels were turning.
View Quote
Well, it's not a KIA.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
People are dumb, but they can get unlikely vehicles surprisingly far in the rough stuff.

I pulled a Nissan minivan and a Chrysler 300 out of the sugar sand on the Delaware drive-on beaches this year.
View Quote
Think about how far the Death Valley germans got that minivan.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
It would have worked though. Once I got out of this I was able p roll back down and up the other side no issues

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top