Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2001 11:28:43 AM EDT

Pinellas fifth grader cuffed, sent home after
                         classmates turn him in for drawing weapons

The Associated Press

May 11, 2001

OLDSMAR -- A boy was taken from his elementary school in handcuffs after
                         his classmates turned him in for drawing pictures of weapons.

The 11-year-old fifth grader was not charged with a crime in the Wednesday
                         incident. His name is not being released to protect him, school officials
                         said.

``There were some drawings that were confiscated by the teacher,'' Oldsmar
                         Elementary School Principal David Schmitt said. ``The children were in no
                         danger at all. It involved no real weapons.''

Still, Schmitt refused to discuss details of the boy's case.

``All I can tell you is it was a threat . . . against students,'' he said.
                         ``Nobody in particular, but students in general.

``We just need to get it through kids' heads that there are certain things
                         you don't say and there are certain things you don't draw,'' he said.

[B] The boy was handcuffed by school police for his safety, according to
                         Pinellas County School District spokesman Ron Stone.[/B] [What next? Shooting people for their own health?]

``That's normal procedure in a situation like this,'' Stone said. ``The
                         primary concern was to make sure we get appropriate services for the
                         child.''

Making threats is not unusual for students in elementary and middle
                         schools, said Nancy Zambito, a director of school operations for the school
                         district.

Depending on the severity of the threat, Zambito said, the outcome for the
                         student can be a number of things.

Those possibilities range from disciplinary action by the school _ like
                         suspension or expulsion _ to being arrested, or taken to a hospital under
                         Florida's Baker Act, which allows for the involuntary commitment of people
                         who threaten or try to hurt themselves or others.

``It's nothing unusual and we address them all seriously because, of
                         course, we don't know,'' Zambito said. ``And in most cases, our prime goal
                         is to let those students know what is appropriate to say and what is not,
                         and how to be angry and cute and funny without alarming people.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
``That's normal procedure in a situation like this,'' Stone said. ``The
primary concern was to make sure we get appropriate services for the
child.''
View Quote

As usual, the anti-family re-educators
do not mention parents. Parents are not
to be trusted and must be monitored
and replaced by services by age 5.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I am glad I am not a kid growing up these days,its got to be tuff.

I would have been in DYS somewhere......all I drew were guns and various battle sences from wars.

When ever the teachers saw them they told me I had a real talent and could go far as a artist if I wanted to when I grew up,todays kids are being handcuffed and  led from school at gun point by "peace officers".
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't the whole PC thing SUPPOSED to be about protecting the rights of the minority, the oppressed, those who are different?  Isn't it about respecting those differences?  Or is it about forcing one "correct" viewpoint on everyone?  Is it about not saying and not thinking "wrong" things?  Anybody remember the red scare?  McCarthyism anyone?  [:(!] [:(!] [:(!]

Am I the only one who gets sudden urges to load up the truck and head for the hills?

pardon me while I go take some deep breaths
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#4]
How about a "zero tolerance" policy for incompetent school teachers and administrators?
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I will now set my self up for flames --Nomex on..

When I was a kid and Vietnam was in full swing, I asked my DOD teacher (Iwas nine or ten) if we (Our class) could go and help with the war effort (It was taking too long to win) I was sent to the school psych office for evaluation whereupon I spent the next three days "Forgetting about Vietnam"...funny I never forgot...and I used to draw a lot of pictures of Luke the gook getting blown up my mines and etc...
Drawing pictures and playing fantasy war games was the best part of being a kid...I remember routing the NVA (our neighbors kid) with Dirt clods that came from the grape feilds down the street.  This was a helluva lot more fun than video games.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#6]
This zero tollerance stuff is getting ridiculous. I can remember as a kid playing Army and mimicking Vince Morrow and crew from Combat.  We had one friend who's dad was a German WWII vet even. (Guess who got to be the "kraut".)  We took our toy Army stuff to school and even played during recess (and occasionally got yelled at for playing with our toys in class).

But this crap is unreal! Getting yanked out of class for drawing pictures. I remember drawing pictures of battles complete with swastika's, and other stuff, all getting bombed or "shelled" by the Americans. But then as a kid I also knew who the "bad guys" were and my dad who is a WWII vet instilled in me what the war was about. A word known as OPRESSION, and the making of a society all think the same way.  Kinda makes me scratch my head n say HMMM.  [pissed]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Zero Tolerance...or Zero Intellegence? *Dr Evil finger-to-mouth*
More like Totalitarianism by a bunch of Zero's...you make the call.

[i]Riiiiiiight[/i]
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How about a "zero tolerance" policy for incompetent school teachers and administrators?
View Quote

As a former teacher, were we to do that, the public school systems in this country would grind to a halt, since the only ones left in the schools would be the janitors...

Public schools shut down? What a concept. A GOOD concept.....

No wonder so many of my colleagues in the teachers' union mortgaged their souls to put their kids through private schools (and demanded higher wages from the taxpayers to pay for it...)

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens"

(Against stupidity, even the gods struggle in vain.)
Friedrich Schiller (1801)
"Die Jungfrau von Orleans", III, 6 (Vers 2318)
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]
If it was like that when I was teen, I'd be arrested twenty-thosand times minimum...
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
_____ ........
| |

Do I have to be reeducated now teacher?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

As a former teacher, were we to do that, the public school systems in this country would grind to a halt, since the only ones left in the schools would be the janitors...
View Quote

I have many relatives that have been teachers for 30+ years and they constantly complain about how the quality of teachers has declined. The new teachers are more interested in socializing with each other, running to the computer lab to surf the web or log on to chat rooms than they are with the children they are supposed to be instructing. I guess what can you expect from a bunch of teaching degree holders that graduated from outcome based education.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, not 10 miles down the road from here.
That boy is going to have some college fund after his attorney gets finished.
Go to [url]glennbeck.com[/url]to see the latest
news regarding the new school board policies.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Uh, Oh.  I drew a picture of a gun-looking thing with a pen and paper, and I live a mile from school.  Now the principal of the local high school is going to hack into my computer, see what I drew, and report me to the authorities, claiming I have "justifiable intent to kill some of her students".

I probably shouldn't kid about something like that.  Next month, a law will probably come out that will actually persecute me for what I just did

Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#14]
my god once i was asked to go change why becouse my t shirt said GLOCK firearms
did i hell no i said if u make em change my shirt im going to the school board and where gonna have one hell of a lawsuit on your hands that scared the Sh*t out of them. did the hassle me agien no
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#15]
That is pathetic. How are they proving it is a threat on students. I am a junior in high shcool and last year and the year befor i drew a lot of weapons. It wasnt a threat on anyone, just something to do while listening to my English teacher. I think that is a load of crap!
[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#17]
SAVE THE CHILDREN!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Get used to it. The future is here.  Most of us will probably end up in a gubernment re-education camp.  This kid will end up a productive member of society.  Free will is overrated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top