Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2001 7:23:55 AM EDT
This cracks me up. Got it from Yahoo News.

War games halted after US marine shoots dead emu in Australia

SYDNEY, May 14 (AFP) -
War games involving 27,000 American and Australian commandos ground to a halt last week when a US marine shot dead an emu, it was revealed Monday.

Organisers of Operation Tandem Thrust said the emu, one of Australia's national symbols, was blasted to death on May 8 during a live-fire training exercise near Rockhampton in Queensland, bringing the "war" to a temporary halt.

The commanding general of the marine brigade said US and Australian officers would try to find out how the emu was killed and if his death could have been avoided.

The war games were to continue later this week with an amphibious assault operation, a live-fire exercise involving air, sea and land weapon systems and the sinking of a former US Navy ship by air and sea forces from both nations.

[url]http://rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_051401/content/stac.guest.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#1]
But it doesn't answer the important question: Are Emus good eatin' ?
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#3]
This guy had obviously had enough of MREs. While the concept seems sort of cool, anyone who has eaten them exclusively for any length of time can tell you that they [b]SUCK![/b] And no, I won't tell you how I really feel.

Pluck it, gut it, cut the head and feet off and put it on a spit. Mmmmmm...emu-licious. That's good eatin'

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell how things have changed.

Basic training, Fort Knox, Kentucky,  We were qualifying with the M16.  About 5 turkeys come wondering over the 300 meter berm, WHILE WE WERE FIRING!  

The RO calls a cease fire.  A DI comes from behind me (I was sighted in and wanted to pop one) and snatches the rifle out of my hands (I was prone) and starts walking out in front of the firing line.  He gets in to a sitting position and procedes to pop 3 of the 5 turkeys before the survivors get back over the berm.  He sends a couple of cruits down (double timing of course) to get the birds.  He and a couple other DIs field dress and pluck the turkeys and pack them in ice and it's back to qualifying.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Remember the incident in Canada when an American ballplayer hit a bird (with a thrown ball) on a play DURING a game. Yankees vs Blue Jays? Dave Winfield?

He was Detained after the game. Arrested?

This world is going crazy. There's no perspective.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#7]
WOW!  Live fire wargames?  
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#8]
"Emus, Jack...they're the pork of the future."
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually, the Aussies use Emus much like the VC used peasants and kids during Nam.

They booby trap em.

That Marine done the right thing.

Link Posted: 5/15/2001 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah....free ostrich meat!!!!!........[beer]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Well,

What would we be saying if visting Australian troopers shot a balled eagle during a training mission???

Kinda makes you think...

With that said, I think the NRA needs to add an emu target to long range rifle comps.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Boy this brings back a funny memory. Was in Saudi Arabia and a fellow 82nd trooper shot a camel with a LAW. What was not so funny was the owner of the camel said it was a prize race camel and the US owed him $50,000 for it.

Trooper went to Leavenworth.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Boy this brings back a funny memory. Was in Saudi Arabia and a fellow 82nd trooper shot a camel with a LAW. What was not so funny was the owner of the camel said it was a prize race camel and the US owed him $50,000 for it.

View Quote
                  Those 'opec' dudes shure know how to fleece the dumb americans.........[frag]
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#14]
What do you want to bet that the death of this emu will be investigated more than the death of Vince Foster?

They've probably got a couple companies on line, shuffling through the outback, looking for emu feathers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 6:41:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Actually they dont taste bad at all.Kinda like a cross between a chicken and a turkey.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd be pretty pissed off if someone shot my pet or livestock for jollies.

Link Posted: 5/16/2001 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow.  Our guy shoots a freakin' emu and the wargames are halted, thus driving up the cost of the exercise.  Meanwhile, in Communist China where wargames increasingly use the USA as the "enemy", does anyone think the Chicoms would cease fire if one of their grunts shot a panda bear?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top