BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brass:
Wooden brake rotor half painted white there on the table?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By guns762:
Update 10/9

A couple students looked up CAD files to 3D print more details for our landscapes.

https://i.imgur.com/hHmPn7i.jpg

A little paint......students also added a few more later in the day.
https://i.imgur.com/tJtyvs9.jpg

This is also getting closer to finished.  
https://i.imgur.com/IwIouLt.jpg

These guys are enjoying their current work.  

You might recognize the details.  They have work to do, but set up the layout successfully today.
https://i.imgur.com/puVm6Gc.jpg
Wooden brake rotor half painted white there on the table?
Not on Tatooine.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:44:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#2]
Update 10/10

It's that time again.......RIVET TIME!!!!!!  

Some veterans of past rivet endevours, as well as a few newbies are about half way through Marvin's ship.

Marvins ship also needs a little put, put, put out of its rocket nozzle.

It will eventually be painted blue to match our SpaceX rocket.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Update 10/10 continued

The grain silos have a little more weathered look, as well as are now more level on their pad.  They will eventually have a custom barley brand name on them.  Thst is being designed right now.

The irrigation pivot has also been started.

Lessons from Marine One's windows were a little rusty, but they are getting closer on the cockpit for Starship.

Link Posted: 10/10/2019 1:06:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
What about using used 5 gallon water jugs, like the water cooler types? These should work well for the greenhouse type project.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You might want to show this picture as comedy relief

13 parts of mid-1960's Sci-Fi

Part 1:

Link Posted: 10/10/2019 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone with a Twitter account tweeted some of the pics of this to Elon Musk?
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]

2 Amber and 1 Red  LED frosted (or just amber, or just red - all sanded until white and without focus), then buried in the cotton could flash at maybe once (1/10 sec on time) per 3 seconds for an awesome put put put look, and last forever on batteries (small solar panel, even, really small), only blink when panel has enough power to run them, which is easy, since if there's not enough power, they won't turn on.

Something like this, no microcontroller needed:

https://i.imgur.com/Tx6yThd.jpg
View Quote
I'll see if we have any electrical engineers that would like to set that up.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By zukguy:
What about using used 5 gallon water jugs, like the water cooler types? These should work well for the greenhouse type project.
View Quote
That is the plan.....  we are just waiting on the jug to be delivered by the Natural  Science teacher.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By hoosierhick:
Has anyone with a Twitter account tweeted some of the pics of this to Elon Musk?
View Quote
Not that I know of, but I was hoping we'd wait till we got a little more along on our Starship build.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Update 10/10.2

Some Tatooine pieces starting to get organized on site.

"The Bench" is getting it's vegitation.  We are waiting on our drilling rig, and second pump.  Students were playing around trying to make Yuka plants today.

Marvins ship now has tail fins, and a nosecone.  A bit more bondo and sanding and we will be ready for paint.

Few more rivets also needed.

Notice the small balls on he finds tips.

Revised ladders on the silos, and irrigation pipe along the edge of the field.  Many of these students spend time moving pipe like this and building pivot systems, so this is near to their hearts and they want it to look right.  I heard them arguing over/about the collars on the pipe.  

Adding some lights to the Starship cockpit before sealing it in with the plexiglass.  No, it won't be purple, but they were playing with the colors while they worked.

Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By kpel308:

Then he'll change the design again, just being high and trying to screw with your kids' minds.
View Quote
SERIOUSLY!!!    We have to keep updating our plans as the design gets modified.

We laugh when we are working with the shape of the fins, and placement.  We are getting ready to CNC the fins for the Super Heavy and we have to keep updating the CAD team with the latest pictures.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Update 10/11

@FB41 surprised us with a nice care package today.  

Packed full of good stuff.....and lots of confetti.  There is still quite a bit on the floor, and we even brought over a trashcan.

Our Taxidermy Princess was extremely excited to see the "cheese graters" for shaping forms more easily.

There was an awesome amount and variety of goodies in there.    Thank you again FB41!  Kids again said they just were shocked that someone from the other side of the country would send us all these tools.  

I found some shoes at the 2nd hand store for Marvin last night, and some gloves we can turn into his hands.

Marvin's shoes getting the proper color.

Marvin's rocket got a little bit of paint, but we have to go back and smooth out the attachment of the fins with some caulking.   It just stands out too much.

The pivot irrigation system is getting further along in assembly.   We are still messing with different materials for the different pieces, and how they will attach.  Hot glue is not always the best method, even if it is the quickest.

Link Posted: 10/11/2019 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Revised ladders on the silos, and irrigation pipe along the edge of the field.  Many of these students spend time moving pipe like this and building pivot systems, so this is near to their hearts and they want it to look right.  I heard them arguing over/about the collars on the pipe.  
View Quote
If you really want to wind them up, ask them if it's a Valley or Zimmatic pivot?
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you ever tried any of the Bondic or similar type products? It's fairly popular amongst hobby builders.
It goes on fluid, about like thin super glue, but stays wet until you hit it with UV light. About 15 seconds under UV and it fully sets up and is quite strong.
Since it doesn't set up on its own, it's easy to clean up if you misapply and/or need to adjust positioning of your pieces.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Ashraam:
Have you ever tried any of the Bondic or similar type products? It's fairly popular amongst hobby builders.
It goes on fluid, about like thin super glue, but stays wet until you hit it with UV light. About 15 seconds under UV and it fully sets up and is quite strong.
Since it doesn't set up on its own, it's easy to clean up if you misapply and/or need to adjust positioning of your pieces.
View Quote
This stuff is awesome and highly recommend it, but also get some UV goggles since UV light isn't good for your eyes.  You cant get the orange safety grade glasses for $5
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Guns, it's been a bit and I may have missed an update but is there any news on the student who was injured early in the year?
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By elcope:
If you really want to wind them up, ask them if it's a Valley or Zimmatic pivot?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By elcope:

Oh, yeah.....absolutely.  

The young man currently making the model works after school putting the real things together.   He was the student who rounded up the 12" pipe for us to use for the rocket fuselage too.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:
Guns, it's been a bit and I may have missed an update but is there any news on the student who was injured early in the year?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:
He is really having an amazing recovery.  With some of what I've heard about his initial injuries, he is very lucky to still be alive.

He is currently in Denver.  They are working with him there.

The best way I can pass along his progress is to post his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1079961392201388/

Here is an update from that page by his mom.

We often speak of God teaching us lessons on patience and endurance. We encourage each other as believers to trust in Gods timing and plan. We try to support our brothers and sisters in the hard times of life and unexpected tragedies that rock our foundation.

During this time of Ethans accident,  many people have been sick, hurt, undergone surgeries, traumatic accidents, and even death. Families are hurting, people are healing, life is still moving on.  After losing my dad in February, a long time friend said to me, "The hardest part with tragedy is everyone else's life moves on." Lisa was so right. My heart breaks for everyone going through rough days. For the recent accidents that have taken lives and left trauma with little answers, for the small babies that have to undergo surgeries so early on life, for the athletes whose game took a turn for the worst. You all are on our hearts and in our prayers. Keep holding on, seek after Gods face for moments of peace that passes all understanding,  God is not done yet!

Ethan is doing well. It is getting harder for sure. He is having a hard time with memory. He says he is 14 , sometimes 16. He is excited for his freshman year. But there are still moments where he is right here, in Denver, Oct 2019, 18 years old. We still stand in the promise. We know what God has done and we know Ethan will be whole. And we continue to wait, praying for patience and endurance.

We can never say thank you enough for the love and outpour.  We dont know the final chapter of this story, but we are thankful you, every single one of you, is here with us. Much love to the newest members of the family, flight team, ambulance team, Newcastle Football, Mountain View volleyball, Rocky Mountain Dental, to name a few. Welcome to our journey!  Continued prayers for the miracles to come, God will let the ears hear and the eyes see.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Ashraam:
View Quote
Yes, I've seen that.  It is really cool.  I may have to see if I can find some locally.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Yes, I've seen that.  It is really cool.  I may have to see if I can find some locally.
View Quote
I buy it from Amazon. It's pretty tough stuff.

BTW- Now you know why I told ya to have a freshman open the box. .
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 8:53:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#24]
Originally Posted By FB41:

View All Quotes

It was funny watching the upperclassmen get all pissed off that the freshman got to open the box..........till it was opened, then they were......ohhhhhhh, that's why.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 10:22:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#25]
We decided that the Earth clock needed white hands to for better contrast.  The really good news is we got it working after being told we broke it and it needed replaced.  I worked with it most of the day yesterday and finally got it to set it's time.

Link Posted: 10/11/2019 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Fund raising idea -- Make an electronic copy of the clock background painting, replicate and sell.

May require disassembly of the clock -- Again (doh!)

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Custom-Photo-Clock-Add-Shipping/dp/BB00KM61MCM

Link Posted: 10/12/2019 5:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilasB] [#27]
We decided that the Earth clock needed white hands to for better contrast.  The really good news is we got it working after being told we broke it and it needed replaced.  I worked with it most of the day yesterday and finally got it to set it's time.

https://i.imgur.com/qf5yky4.jpg
View Quote
A thought, could you guys print your own clock hands?

Big hand:  Apollo rocket
Little hand:  Mercury rocket
Minute hand:  leave it as is.  Edit:  or a skinny Goddard rocket
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Maybe as overlays?   The three concentric splined shafts are a PITA to work with if hands are removed, nothing 3D printed would fit in the shaft connection sleeve, so modifications would need to be glued to the existing hands and light weight.

Could maybe just paint outlines of rockets on the hands as they are?
View Quote
Maybe just attach tiny capsules to the ends of the hands. Apollo CM on the hour hand, Gemini on the minute hand, sputnik on the second hand.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By redoubt:
Maybe just attach tiny capsules to the ends of the hands. Apollo CM on the hour hand, Gemini on the minute hand, sputnik on the second hand.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By redoubt:

Maybe as overlays?   The three concentric splined shafts are a PITA to work with if hands are removed, nothing 3D printed would fit in the shaft connection sleeve, so modifications would need to be glued to the existing hands and light weight.

Could maybe just paint outlines of rockets on the hands as they are?
All good ideas.  I'll run them by the students.  I don't think we will be pulling the hands off, maybe just adding something to them if we do anything.  We pulled the hands off the Moon clock for the Space shuttle display and it was not pleasant putting them back on and getting the clock back to the original time.   These are radio controlled clocks.  We can't manually set any time, and if the hands get off.....it's not good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Just set the clock to Mars time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#32]
If you must take the hands off, place alignment marks on the hands and the stem they go on. You will need to to color or otherwise uniquely ID the mark to the hand.

When you get ready to put the hands back on, just align the marks and the time should be correct.

Use a fine point scribe to make the marks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#33]
If you must take the hands off, place alignment marks on the hands and the stem they go on. You will need to to color or otherwise uniquely ID the mark to the hand.

When you get ready to put the hands back on, just align the marks and the time should be correct.

Use a fine point scribe to make the marks.
View Quote
We did that with the Moon clock.   Somehow we still screwed it up.   As fragile as the clock mechanism seems to be, I don't think we want to remove the hands.    
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#34]
+100.00 more FRP paste, plywood, and 2x4s

$950.00 total as of 9/19
View All Quotes

+283.00    Three sheets of 1/2" 4x8 plywood, and one sheet of 3/16ths 4x8 lexan.   Ouch.

$490.00   total as of 8/29/19
+ $200.00

2x4's, chickenwire, FRP paste, T50 staples

$690.00  total as of 9/6/19
+$160.00 FRP glue, glue, paint, LED lights, drop clothes, rollers,

$850.00 total as of 9/12
+100.00 more FRP paste, plywood, and 2x4s

$950.00 total as of 9/19
+$50.00 glue, sand paper, white spray paint
-------------------------------------------------------
$1000.00. Total as of 10/14
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Update 10/14

We had to take a little break today for most students to critique their work formally.

We did a repaint with a less shiny paint.  We think this looks better and doesn't show as many faults.

The pivot model is looking excellent.

We glued down the first Martian colony building.  Details will be added later.

Marvin is getting closer but his hands are too big.  We have another set of gloves to try tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Marvin's hunting with Vortex Optics Viper spotting scope....episode 2.

Marvin was not quite as lucky this last weekend, but it looks like they saw plenty of game,  just not in the right area.

Big Marv is safety concious.  

In WY, any hunt usually is in breathtaking scenery.

Marvin was dedicated to finding something for our hunter.

Nothing like finding the game right outside of town and not in your hunt area.  This is through the Vortex Viper with a phone.  

Marvin is scheduled to go back out this weekend.  He may even be double booked.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Can we get Marvin to try and spot Opie??????
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 10:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#38]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
Can we get Marvin to try and spot Opie??????
View Quote
Clue me in here, which Opie?  SOA, or The Andy Griffith original?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Update 10/16

I'm pretty sure this was meant as some sort of threat to Marvin........   His finger was left on my gradebook.  

We just might see Marvin come all together today.   We still need his "angry  eyes" painted on his face, but I think that is about it.  

More details are coming along on the pivot system.

The irrigation pipe needs some gates and a little more paint on our Powell field.

Electrical boxes, and conduit are now showing up on our silos.

@FB41 the new cheese graters are amazing, according to my students.  

After nice work on some of the Mars colony envirodomes, I reminded the student that he was putting those on the backside of the building where no one would see them.

"Luke's Place" is getting glued down, and almost ready for more details.

Marvin and his Vortex Optics Viper spotting scope went out for another elk hunt last night.   There was a little confusion about who was getting to take him out.   He was a bit double booked.   That might have been where the finger came from.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Update 10/16.2

Yeah, this will be on our silos.  

Marvin is getting close......

Fitting the first span of pivot....
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Glad to see the 'cheese graters" are working for you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 5:39:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#42]
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Meanwhile, back elsewhere.....

Building a Marsbase is a Horrible Idea: Let’s do it!
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I thought there was more detail, but I guess the sclera were all that were really ever visible in the cartoon, lots of expression for just a white outline, my brain must have filled in eyebrows.  Though he does look a little hung over (or stoned) near the carnucles, recreational conjunctivitis or something.

On second look.  A slight hint..   Maybe in thin lines of a medium grey?

https://i.imgur.com/NtvAbza.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MWikFwG.jpg
View All Quotes
Update 10/16.2

Yeah, this will be on our silos.  

https://i.imgur.com/S0V0TFb.jpg

Marvin is getting close......
https://i.imgur.com/yhv4fJu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6tRsqpw.jpg

Fitting the first span of pivot....
https://i.imgur.com/kaVUy6X.jpg
I thought there was more detail, but I guess the sclera were all that were really ever visible in the cartoon, lots of expression for just a white outline, my brain must have filled in eyebrows.  Though he does look a little hung over (or stoned) near the carnucles, recreational conjunctivitis or something.

On second look.  A slight hint..   Maybe in thin lines of a medium grey?

https://i.imgur.com/NtvAbza.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MWikFwG.jpg
Weve got the little white lines above his eyes, but I think you are right about emphasizing them a bit more.

I have the reference at school and will post the version we used.

It had more realistic eyes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I am most relieved his face is getting painted.  It was unnerving to see his body w/ a black ball for a face.

(This post not brought to you by the Fort Worth Police Department)
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Here at e a few more from today.

I can talk to the Eye Artist about more expression lines tomorrow.  Hopefully she won't hurt me.

First fitting to his rocket.  We still need his cowboy hat.

Little more work on "Luke's Place."

Second span of pivot is taking shape.

More SpaceX Starship glass.

Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#47]
Elon needs to quit changing the design.  

My CAD team isn't going to like me.    The students on the SpaceX Heavy rocket team probably will kill me.

Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Engineers will keep changing stuff until you tell them to put the pencil down, the test is over.  They can't help it.

Dilbert - The Knack full - YouTube.flv
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By StealthM8:
Engineers will keep changing stuff until you tell them to put the pencil down, the test is over.  They can't help it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6HojLBsnw
View Quote
Nothing is ever done, it's just due.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#50]
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top