Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2001 12:32:38 PM EDT
[B]"We can change the culture," [dottie] Lamm (gun control weenie) told the crowd. "This is just the beginning." [/B]

This man wants YOU disarmed.
[img]www.denverpost.com/media/paper36/May2001/mom0514.jpg[/img]

Million Mom rally turnout dips
                                               Pro-gun hecklers blamed

By Ryan Morgan
Special to The Denver Post

Monday, May 14, 2001 - Attendance dipped at this year's Million Mom March rally, and event organizers blamed a crowd of black-clad, pro-gun
hecklers for keeping po tential supporters away.

"We're a little disappointed by the turnout," said Marilee Louis, co-president of the Denver chapter o f the Million
Mom March. "I think a lot of the women are a little nervous about those guys."

She was referring to members of the Tyranny Response Team, a pro-gun organization whose members regularly
attend Million Mom gun-control functions to shout their support for the Second Amendment.

About 250 people gathered for the Million Mom rally on the steps of the state Capitol, while about 100 Tyranny
Response Team members stood below. Last year, the rally drew 3,000 to 5,000 people.

Fearing a clash between the two groups, police cordoned off a buffer zone between the Million Mom attendees
and the Tyranny Response Team members, who met on the sidewalk on Lincoln Avenue. Forty Denver police
officers and 10 State Patrol officers we re stationed around the Capitol.

The Million Mom movement, whose slogan is "Sensible gun laws, safe kids," began with a march that attracted
750,000 in Washington, D.C., last Mother's Day, and has since added 240 chapters nationwide. This Mother's
Day saw Million Mom rallies in 46 s tates. The goal this year, organizers said, is to make the issue of gun control
less divisive.

"We want to move this from being a political question to being a public health question," said Karl Konrad, co-president of the Denver chapter. "We
have 10 kids dying every day, and we want people to know about that. If they were dying of anything ot her than guns, we would be doing
everything we could to solve the problem."

The rally featured entertainment from singer Hazel Miller, and speeches from Dottie Lamm and other gun-control advocates. Lamm praised the
Million Mom organization for helping to pass Amendment 22 last fall, which closed the "gun-show loophole" by re quiring background checks at gun
shows.

"We can change the culture," Lamm told the crowd. "This is just the beginning."

Tyranny Response Team members, some armed with megaphones, greeted her speech by shouting, "We will fight to the death," and "We will not
disarm."

One pro-gun demonstrator said that more gun-control laws would actually hurt the very people the Million Mom members want to protect.

"I think it's important to educate the public that gun owners help keep people safe," said Ari Armstrong, a Libertarian who demonstrated alongside
the Tyranny Response Team. "The Million Moms are well-intentioned, but they're making everybody less sa fe."

Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, boo hoooooooooo...Nobody gonna come on down to the misinformation, anti freedom rally?

We're so scaowed of dose mean gun peeples, I'se just gonna go cry.....Whaaaa.

It's not MY fault people just might be getting too smart for this sort of junk...I wouldn't apologize for attending a counter rally, either.

Sheesh!

Cry me a river, magnolia man...

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:

Fearing a clash between the two groups

View Quote

Hmmmm...I wonder who would have won the "clash"

Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

she's right, we are going to lose and they know it. Might not be all that soon but it's inevitable, all this hippy self-esteem feelgood poofter crap is contaminating minds daily.

Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
"Tyranny Response Team"? Cool, how can I join? he he
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
"We want to move this from being a political question to being a public health question," said Karl Konrad, co-president of the Denver chapter. "We
have 10 kids dying every day, and we want people to know about that. If they were dying of anything ot her than guns, we would be doing

View Quote

Bullshit. Pure, unmitigated bullshit.

More kids die each day drowning in 5 gallon buckets of water.

I have YET to see a Bucket Control Inc. rally sponsored yet by these logically bereft buffons.

Pardon my French.

Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]
To emphasize the "black clad pro-gun hecklers" they should have said "elements of the dreaded black clad trench coat mafia"
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To emphasize the "black clad pro-gun hecklers" they should have said "elements of the dreaded black clad trench coat mafia"
View Quote

Yup.

you have to think that gun owners are held to a higher standard that the rest of the world when the color of their clothing is considered relevant to the coverage of a small-turnout news event.

I guess the MMM'ers were wearing commie pink attire. Not that the news people found the color of THEIR clothing relevant.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If they were dying of anything ot her than guns, we would be doing
View Quote

I can't tell you how much of a straight out lie that is!!!!!!!

In less than 10 minutes, I was able to find out from the NTSB website that 90,000 childern died from transportation related causes between 1990 and 1990. That's drunk drivers, airbags, improperly adjusted car seats (this is a really big problem parents, check out http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/Highway/childseat.htm PLEASE) etc.  If you divide that number out it's 9,000 a year.  Divide that by 365 days per year and you actually get 24.66 kids a day!  Now that does include all the '90s, and things are supposedly getting safer, so let's cut that number in, oh, half just to give ourselves some wiggle room.  That would be 12 kids per day dying from transportation related causes.

Now, within those aforementioned 10 minutes I was also able to access the FBI's Unified Crime report for 1999 (the last year that complete stats seem to be available).  It states in table 2.11 that there were 2,289 deaths attributed to firearms in people under 22 years of age.  Divide that by 365 you get 6.27 kids per day.  Also of note is that this includes EVERYONE who died as a result of a firearm under the age of 22!  In other words the 21 year old crack dealer that's killed on a corner in a drive by shooting over drug territory is counted the same as the child who sneaks daddy's revolver out to play cops and robbers.  Both deaths are awful losses, especially to their friends and families, but come on, let's face it, 22 year old crack dealers aren't "Children".

What no one seems willing to admit is that these people who use the "it's for the children" arguement are looking for power.  They may not even know it themselves, but that's what they are after.  If it was about child safety, they would be singing a vastly different tune.  The "children" arguement is a powerful one since if you object they can throw the "you don't care about kids" line in your face and demonize you in the face of the public.  I mean really, who doesn't care about keeping kids safe?

I think I'm going to go take some deep breaths now and try to calm down.  Perhaps I'll take my wife to the range this weekend so she can show me how much better a shot she is with my new rifle than I am.

sigh

editted because I'm so hopping mad I missed a word and I can't spell when I'm mad
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Poor media didn't have anything to cover!
Lynn
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The media should have covered this, just to show what fools they are.  But we know why they didn't...

Is there a MD chapter of the TRT?
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

she's right, we are going to lose and they know it. Might not be all that soon but it's inevitable, all this hippy self-esteem feelgood poofter crap is contaminating minds daily.

View Quote

You are exactly right! This is the 1960's bullsh t all over again. We are going to save the world. Do it for the kids. People are so misinformed. I don't think even gunners know what is going on here. This is a spirit it is to dramatized, to sensationalized. This is not what it looks like. Something very bad is on the horizon. Right when people are doing their thing and no one expects it it is going to strike. There is a big picture here. It is going to be world wide. Nothing fun either. Just think of it. If you fart in public they want more gun control. If someone burps they want more gun control. Every little thing gun control is the answer. What gives? Why? There is something brewing and in the near future we all will find out what. This is to big and to much. It is beyond a crime problem here. I pray God help us and watch out for his people.God have mercy on this world.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Stubbs, MerryLand?  Here it 'tis!

[url]http://www.trt-md.org[/url]

They're everywhere, they're everywhere!

DaMan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top