Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/4/2019 10:30:38 PM EDT
I didn't see any other posts on this so hopefully this isn't a dupe. I've been looking forward to this for a while.

From the fine folks who brought us a collection of printable Glock 17, 19, and 26 lowers at Deterrence Dispensed, they have today come out with the "Menendez Mag", which is comprised of a mag body, follower, tab, and base plate for making your own 9mm glock mags.

They won't be replacing OEM mags anytime soon, but I'm excited to see how they work. I had my printer in pieces so I just reassembled it, flashed my firmware, and started one up.

I'll need to print the follower separately because it needs support, whereas the other parts do not.

Hopefully I can get a good print off, put it together, and shoot it saturday.

You can get the files, among others, at Github.

Why do it? Because you can. For the stupid idiots out there who complain that it's dumb to print a magazine you can buy for $10-15, you're completely missing the point.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Outstanding.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump for the 5th of July Day Folks who are trying to work out their hangovers...

From the Reddit post by Deterrence_Dispensed:

This project represents over 500 hours of time in CAD, over 250 hours of 3D printer running time, over 1000 rounds of ammo, all over the course of six months.

The end result is worth it - 3D printable Glock mags that cost next to nothing to print, last several hundred rounds, can be printed on essentially any FDM/FFF printer, and require little to no post-processing.
View Quote
Deterrence_Dispensed is also working on some 3D jigs that will allow you to wind your own magazine springs.

For the I hate all new things crew with their "Muh steel insert OEMs" whining, these aren't meant to be a one for one replacement of factory mags, or even ETS or KCI.  These are magazines you can make, at home, for about 80 cents worth of plastic and some print time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't stop the signal
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't stop the signal
View Quote
And it is driving them batshit crazy.

Keeping them up at night even.

Glorious.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Can also print glock frames.

Suck it GayTF.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bump for the 5th of July Day Folks who are trying to work out their hangovers...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
HOW DID YOU KNOW? You're spying on me, aren't you?

For the I hate all new things crew with their "Muh steel insert OEMs" whining, these aren't meant to be a one for one replacement of factory mags, or even ETS or KCI.  These are magazines you can make, at home, for about 80 cents worth of plastic and some print time.
Hell yeah. Perfect for using and losing without tears.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m very interested in this, OST
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Let Freedom Ring
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Surprised it hasn't been out for years
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Technological safe thread?

OP needs to show up and post a pic of the printed mag.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome...
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
What about the spring? Printed also?

I love the idea of truly expendable mags.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Surprised it hasn't been out for years
View Quote
Magazines seem to be the hard part to get right.  If you look at the posts from the guy who's done these, this is the end result of about 600+ hours of CAD work in addition to the prototyping, testing, etc.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
The files have only been out since the 4th, so I imagine folks are printing them now.  Goddamn I need a 3D printer.

Here's one pic I found:

Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What about the spring? Printed also?

I love the idea of truly expendable mags.
View Quote
Springs can't be printed, but they are available from Alibaba for cheap in bulk or from a bunch of different providers.  The DD guys do seem to be working on jigs that allow people to wind their own springs that will just need a heat treat afterward.

@webtaz99
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I made one out of PETG which is a bit more ductile than the recommended plastic. It stretched and launched the rounds I had loaded in it across the room.

I started one in the filament they recommend this morning. When I get home hopefully it will be done and I can show it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Came out fine.

Sort of hard to get a good picture of a black glock mag in my lighting but it looks just like the real deal. It is a little lighter as it is all plastic with no inserts.

Pictured next to an OEM g17 mag with a +5 dawson toolless basepad.

Also pictured loaded with 15 rounds of 160gr 9mm. It was pretty tough to put more in at that point and I wasn't taking chances with breaking it.

It is shown in my 19L P80. I fired all fifteen without a hitch off the deck. My dog is not thrilled, but I was happy. It did fail to hold open when dry but that might just be the design.

The only issue with my print is that part of the locking plate's locking nub broke off. Not sure why. It still locked up tight though.

Print is 100% infill esun PLA+. Total print time was 7.5 hours or so.

Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Excellent.  I love it.  The Dems can shove their magazine capacity restrictions.  Which are of course coming soon to everywhere if they get their way...
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#23]
@Redarts - in case I missed it, what kind of printer?
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:11:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm building a P80 - G17 but want to make it up using a 22TCM9R barrel.

To improve feeding and mag function the stock G17 mag needs a heavier wall to reduce the inside width.

There are some newer filaments which include carbon fibers.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I need a 3D printer....
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I need a 3D printer....
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:49:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can't stop the signal
View Quote
The Googleplex will by 2020.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Glock is not my cup of tea. Having said that, freedom boner!
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:54:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I love technology.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just a $200 ender 3. It does have some upgrades (new mainboard, microswiss hot end, dual extruders) but those have absolutely no bearing on making this. Honestly knowing what I know now I never would have bought most of the upgrades, especially not the main board or second extruder.

Quoted:
I need a 3D printer....
They are a ton of fun. I made some Glock frames too, although for all intents and purposes a p80 makes a lot more sense and is a better product... but they work!
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I printed 8 of the new mags on a Creality Ender 5 and ordered some extra power springs for $2 each.  I took a couple to range and they are working great.  By this weekend I should have printed enough mags to offset the cost of the printer.  OEM mags are superior in construction and durability, but these are $3 each, function great and I can print more for less than $1.  It is incredible to be able to print mags on demand, whenever you need a few.

I just got the printer and am not a 3D printer hobbyist.  I followed the basic directions in the files and could not be happier with the result.

Attachment Attached File

David
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I printed 8 of the new mags on a Creality Ender 5 and ordered some extra power springs for $2 each.  I took a couple to range and they are working great.  By this weekend I should have printed enough mags to offset the cost of the printer.  OEM mags are superior in construction and durability, but these are $3 each, function great and I can print more for less than $1.  It is incredible to be able to print mags on demand, whenever you need a few.

I just got the printer and am not a 3D printer hobbyist.  I followed the basic directions in the files and could not be happier with the result.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/405698/Glock_jpg-1012700.JPG

David
View Quote
Nice.  I'm looking at a Prusa right now, but need to go deeper into the bunnyhole...
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/405698/Glock_jpg-1012700.JPG

David
View Quote
This kind of thing makes gun control harder and harder.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Anybody try keeping them loaded for an extended time to see how they hold up?
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I loaded one last saturday and shot it today. I have a +10% spring in it and only loaded to 15, but it worked fine. Obviously that's not truly long term, but hey, it's what I got.

By the way, Reddit banned the defense distributed subreddit which is where much of the discussion was. They didn't actually have real cause to do so, so they tried to pin it on members trying to organize a group buy of mag springs. Poof, right down the memory hole. Reddit has always been a shit platform, but it's a well known one.

Github, speech, and lbry remain the more well known distribution sources.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Cool

Txl
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 2:41:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I loaded one last saturday and shot it today. I have a +10% spring in it and only loaded to 15, but it worked fine. Obviously that's not truly long term, but hey, it's what I got.

By the way, Reddit banned the defense distributed subreddit which is where much of the discussion was. They didn't actually have real cause to do so, so they tried to pin it on members trying to organize a group buy of mag springs. Poof, right down the memory hole. Reddit has always been a shit platform, but it's a well known one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARFcom needs a 3D printing subforum...

Shot in the dark, would it be feasible for Brownells to start selling 3d printers and supplies, maybe even host files for them?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ARFcom needs a 3D printing subforum...

Shot in the dark, would it be feasible for Brownells to start selling 3d printers and supplies, maybe even host files for them?
View Quote
I'm not sure why they would want to. They'd need to offer support for products that are almost purely of cheap chinese origin, for which they would be undercut by 50000 chinese resellers with an identical product and which has nothing in common with the rest of their product lineup, and which has honestly limited utility for practical use for firearms products at this time.

Hosting the files would potentially be a legal pain for them as some states are trying their damnedest to ban even the files or hosting them- look what happened to defense distributed.

This is something to do as a "fuck you" to grabbers and for fun. You can make some useful products- people have made functional bullet feeders for reloading presses, for instance, and tools like mag loaders and what not- but one must temper their expectations.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I didn't see any other posts on this so hopefully this isn't a dupe. I've been looking forward to this for a while.

From the fine folks who brought us a collection of printable Glock 17, 19, and 26 lowers at Deterrence Dispensed, they have today come out with the "Menendez Mag", which is comprised of a mag body, follower, tab, and base plate for making your own 9mm glock mags.

They won't be replacing OEM mags anytime soon, but I'm excited to see how they work. I had my printer in pieces so I just reassembled it, flashed my firmware, and started one up.

I'll need to print the follower separately because it needs support, whereas the other parts do not.

Hopefully I can get a good print off, put it together, and shoot it saturday.

https://i.imgur.com/8qKFoLG.jpg

You can get the files, among others, at Github.

Why do it? Because you can. For the stupid idiots out there who complain that it's dumb to print a magazine you can buy for $10-15, you're completely missing the point.
View Quote
Well,  that's a great news. Have to buy a 3D printer soon
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking Reddit. Anyone know where the discussion is now? That sub was a good reminder to download the STLs as they come out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#42]
I haven't gotten Pmags to 100%, so I'm dubious about this. But I like the direction things are going.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I loaded, unloaded and reloaded the mags to function check them.  I used extra power springs and loaded the 14 mags I printed this week with 17 rounds. They all seem to be holding up just fine, I will keep them loaded and see if that changes over time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nice.  I'm looking at a Prusa right now, but need to go deeper into the bunnyhole...
View Quote
The recommendations are to either get the least expensive Creality Ender 3 and upgrade it as necessary or get the Prusa if budget is not an issue.  Either one will print the mags easily.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:23:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Sub fucking scribed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This kind of thing makes gun control harder and harder.  
View Quote
It makes gun control completely voluntary.  G17/G19 standard capacity mags can be made anytime, for a very low cost.

I am printing my first G17 frame now, lets see how that goes!
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#47]
What’s the print time for a mag?
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 1:56:59 AM EDT
[#48]
You know, if the left had any sense left in them, they'd see this and repeal every magazine ban there is.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:13:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You know, if the left had any sense left in them, they'd see this and repeal every magazine ban there is.
View Quote
No, they will choose to ban 3D printers instead.

You watch.  There has been talk for a few years - ever since Cody started the DD project.
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 2:46:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Print his ugly face in the side along with "Menendez Mag" on the other.

As people cycle & load test them, also do some quick thermal testing (freezer & hot car on a summer day). That should identify weak points that need a little more material. Carbon fiber sounds very interesting.

Identifying cheap, accurate 3D scanners with an envelope capable of a shoebox (large frame pistol) is needed. A dimensionally accurate exterior is required for mags. Scanning factory mags and adding wall thickness is pretty straightforward.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top