Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2001 9:09:15 AM EDT
On Easter Sunday of this year I responded to a call for service at a residence in the county area where I patrol. Upon arriving onscene I spoke to an adorable elderly couple. Seems that when they left for church, a "handyman" that they had hired in the past, broke into their residence and stole in excess of 75,000 dollars worth of their property. Over a dozen pistols, rifles, and shotguns were taken. When I asked the elderly male about his firearms he began to explain to me several of the weapons were  weapons that he had carried in his B-17 that he flew in WWII. He went on to explain that he had flown air/sea rescue in Korea and finally a cargo plane during Vietnam. He showed me all of his decorations that he had recieved and was a true pleasure to speak with.  The suspect stole a Winchester shotgun that his wife had bought him for a wedding present some 40 years earlier and he told me that he had never fired it. The man spoke of tales that I have only read about in books about the air campain in Europe during the war.  I was able to hear a few of his tales before I attempted to locate the suspect.  Through investigative leads I found where the suspect was staying and was able to search the room of the suspect. Several stolen guns and tools were located in the room  but none of them belonged to my victim. I did locate a pair of master pilot wings and another set of plain wings. These were collected along with the other stolen items and were shown to the victim.  When asked if he could ID the wings he shouted "THOSE ARE MY WINGS!". When asked how he was sure that those were his, he pointed out that the set of plain wings were pinned on his chest by none other then Capt. Eddie Richenbacher (I know I spelled that name wrong, but you know who I mean). Additional ribbons were located as well, and the victim had the copies of the military paper work stating where and when the ribbons were received. The victim was happy to get his wings back and told me that if he cought the "son of a bitch who did this" I would not be taking a burglary report and winked at me. He showed me a Taurus model 85 that the suspect had missed , that is kept near his wheelchair that he is confined to.  I was looking forward to recovering more property to return to the victim so that I might hear some more stoies that he had. The investigation has continued and I have been working this case to the best of my ability and have not cought the suspect. Two days ago I was informed by my watch commander that he had been given a message from the victims wife. She wanted to thank us for all that we did and for giving her husband back his wings, and also to let us know that my "hero" had passed away as a result of a heart attack.  This man gave over 30 years of his life defending our country , in three wars , and was killed by the stress brought on by a 19 year old speed freak. I'm at a loss of words as to how I feel about this. I needed to vent. Mark    
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#1]
A truely moving story.  Catch the SOB in his honor.  May I suggest a full cavity search with a broom handle?
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
C,mon DeerSlayer....a broomhandle?!?!  This is the era of enlightenment and we don;t gop for that kind of thing anymore.

When performing a "full body cavity search", the inspector should wear a glove for protection.  Might I suggest an armored or chain mail glove?  Might I also suggest that the "full" in "full body cavity search" means that after "searching" his rectum for contraband, the searcher should pay special attention to the suspects mouth, as I have heard that they sometimes conceal drugs or handcuff keys there.

As always, I remain a voice of reason in troubled times.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#4]
thats messed up.
hope the perp resists arrest. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, I am from the old school.  Razor blades and alcohol first.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Get him! Go get him good! Hope you catch that thief.  As for the widow, please say thank you from the rest of us because of her husband "tour in Vietnam", we will never forget his sacrifice for Freedom. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Sad story - hope he gets what he's got coming.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for sharing this with us.

He is now in our memories and I hope you catch the low life who did this to "our hero".  I am sure the scum had heard of his tours and still be able to do such a thing ticks me off !

Please let the Widow know that we are proud to hear of him and many thanks to him helping in keeping country free country.

[pissed]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't suppose there's any chance of a few of us having a bit of a talk with the creep before you take him in?  I'd drive quite a ways for the privilige....
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Just find him....

And post an address....

I think the rest will take care of itself...

Seriously, though, just do your best to nail this dirty SOB. That's about all anyone can ask of you. It's the best way to honor this guy's memory...
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Sad story indeed.  I also have met a hero.  He's my grandfather and I speak with him every day.  He was a medic in the Pacific in WWII.  He's been to so many places it is dizzying.  He has stories that only the real vets could tell.  He's seen horrors that we can't imagine and suffered heart ache that would drive most over the edge.  He married my grandmother the day he left for the Army in 42 and didn't come home until the wars end in 45.  My mother was three when she met her father.  He traveled to India, China, Burma, the Phillipines, Austrailia, many small islands in between.  He was attacked by a Jap sub while on a troop transport at sea.  He was shot at and shot back at the enemy in fierce battle.  He has told me of routing out the enemy with flamethrowers.  He showed me pictures of Japanese soldiers that blew themselves up with grenades rather than be captured.  He and so many others like him gave us what we have today.  I see so many young people nowadays that are disrespectful of that generation because they are aging and not on the ball as much as they used to be but they hold a legacy that nobody else in history, can claim.  They saved the world, literally.  And when they came home, those that made it, they built with hard labor a country that today rules the planet in terms of economic and military might.  They handed down to us the most powerful "empire" ever known to have existed.  With that we have freedom, and although there are many that are trying to take that away on all fronts, we can be thankful to those because without them we would not have this compartivly easy battle to fight.  It would have ended with the German and Japanese war machine.  But, with great pride these guys who were 18 and 19 years old secured the world from tyranny and oppression.  So the next time some old timer starts jawing about the old days, lend an ear.  He might have well been a man who helped save the world!

Sometimes I wonder what some kid with green hair and piercings who mocks these old timers would do if they were to have met them say 50-60 years ago....  Probably picked their ass up off the floor and then fell in formation!
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow.  That was a sad sad story.
I'm at a loss of words.

All I can do is tip my hat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Make sure he at least has trouble getting in to the patrol car.  Tell the widow that we are sorry to hear of the passing of a fine American.
Ice
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for sharing this touching story.  Makes you want to find something to wrap your fingers around and squeeze, real hard.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
The old and the weak are the first to be victimized in a steadily declining society.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#18]
A good dose of street justice, as as he is choking on his tongue, advise him of his right very slowly. Then when he is in the slammer, let it be known that he is a stoolie, and like to mess with little children. Then provide a broom handle with new razors to the unit.

Catch this bastard in memory of that valiant man.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Very sad story. I hope you get the S.O.B. and when you do, make him read a copy of your post. If the slime ball has any little bit of heart in him that could be a punishment that will be with him the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Look at it this way.
That old veteran lived a long life.A heart attack is better than rotting away in a nursing home for years. Sounds like he lived through some real history and had a nice wife too.

I bet the "19year old speed freak" aka scumbag thief won't live long enough to be old and wise.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Please, get the SOB, and tell the lady we said thanks.

Rew
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#22]
When he gets caught, dont put his seat belt on and get it going around 60mph. Then slam on the brakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top