Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2019 8:35:56 PM EDT
Two bedrooms are across the hall from each other propane tank is outside about 30 feet away. Son's room has window you can see tank out of, ours does not. His room has smelled all day we have cleaned carpet and washed walls. With furnace fan on the smell goes away. I can't smell propane by the tank or in the basement. I can't get by his room in attic but couldn't smell anything when I stuck my head up the access panel. I sprayed the tank fitting and fittings on pipe with soapy water and no bubbles. I really think dead mouse but wife is worried. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Shut off the flow at the tank. Does the smell go away?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I've never had an outdoor tank so I called the company and they said I can turn it off but need to call them to turn it back on? Sounds like bullshit to me, so I haven't done that yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the cover plates off of the outlets and give it a smell. Maybe one died in the wall.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Take the cover plates off of the outlets and give it a smell. Maybe one died in the wall.
View Quote
I've tried that and couldn't notice the smell any stronger. I don't really care if it's a mouse the smell should go away.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
In my experience those two things do not smell similar. Dead animal is far far worse
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I vote for trying this, even if you need someone else to come out and turn it back on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've never had an outdoor tank so I called the company and they said I can turn it off but need to call them to turn it back on? Sounds like bullshit to me, so I haven't done that yet.
View Quote
I don’t see why you can’t turn it back on. It should be no issue. What all runs off propane?

And yes, dead mice can smell like mercaptan. Smell around outlets.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Is your tank running low? If mine gets below 20% we get that smell too. Took us forever to figure out what it was when we first bought the house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
The pilots have to be relit is why

If you turn it off then on without relighting you can cause a small gas leak in your house depending on the type of pilot

Where does the gas line run into the house? Is the regulator right outside his room?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is your tank running low? If mine gets below 20% we get that smell too. Took us forever to figure out what it was when we first bought the house.
View Quote
Yep we are at about 20% and are scheduled to be filled
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The pilots have to be relit is why

If you turn it off then on without relighting you can cause a small gas leak in your house depending on the type if pilot

Where does the gas line run into the house? Is the regulator right outside his room?
View Quote
The regulator is actually outside our room. Forced air furnace and water heater.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]
We had a dead rat that died under the attic insulation. Stank to high Heavens in the kids' room until I found the body. Stained the ceiling before I could find it because it didn't stink in the attic. That was no fun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd wager your smell will disappear after your fill.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a bullshit Federal law. You're only supposed to use them or a properly licensed plumber to do anything with propane appliances, pipes, and such. If you turn it off, make sure you cut off the water heater and any appliance that has a pilot before you cut it off. That will keep the line pressurized.

If it's a mouse, the smell will fade in a day or so.  A box fan in the window blowing out would be helpful.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Never liked any of his stuff. Skrillex is better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a possibility. My tanks also smell when it's really hot out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Two bedrooms are across the hall from each other propane tank is outside about 30 feet away. Son's room has window you can see tank out of, ours does not. His room has smelled all day we have cleaned carpet and washed walls. With furnace fan on the smell goes away. I can't smell propane by the tank or in the basement. I can't get by his room in attic but couldn't smell anything when I stuck my head up the access panel. I sprayed the tank fitting and fittings on pipe with soapy water and no bubbles. I really think dead mouse but wife is worried. Thanks.
View Quote
I have a propane tank outside and a dead mouse in my shop. You can definitely tell the difference
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm hoping it's the tank being low we have a wood boiler so haven't had to fill it since we bought the place last year. They say to call when it gets below 25% and I called over a week ago and still haven't been filled. I turned the furnace off and am gonna call and get on their ass to fill it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've tried that and couldn't notice the smell any stronger. I don't really care if it's a mouse the smell should go away.
View Quote
We get mice in every fall, and most years they get trapped. Every now and then one gets into a crevice and dies. Stinks to high heaven for 4-6 days, then dries out for me to find remodeling two years later.

There is a distinctive well rounded rotten odor to a mouse, propane is more a singular scent lacking any undertones. More like bad hamburger vs wine.

Funny you can throw the main breakers on electricity but not turn off the gas. The difference is some appliances have pilot lights - and relighting them is mandatory or you DO create a gas leak. Water heater, furnace, stove, etc. Not everything has electronic ignition and due to an overall lack of any real code enforcement against older construction there is no way to know when or if things were installed. IE "in 2015 all homes were required to do X." We don't enforce upgrades, therefore, you could have things from 1945 in there.

The gas guy has to check, your Aunt Velma can trip a main circuit breaker and back on again, she might not have a clue about one or another of the gas appliances or even where to ignite it while pushing down the red button for 1 minute to get the safety engaged. Because "in 2015" nothing was done to ensure it.

Yup, gas guy has to check when turned on.

And no, we don't want to force people to upgrade mandatorily, I can see in my mind eye how a 69 Chevelle would get bastardized trying to meet 2015 CAFE/DOT/EPA standards. Yecch.

So we deal with what we have where it exists in the technology time line.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#20]
FWIW OP I use Odoban for getting rid of that dead body smell. You can get it at Walmart now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Never liked any of his stuff. Skrillex is better.
View Quote
How about Rat Trap?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FWIW OP I use Odoban for getting rid of that dead body smell. You can get it at Walmart now.
View Quote
Hmmm, this might be helpful for odor in my man cave.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My tanks also smell when it's really hot out.
View Quote
They shouldn't do that.

Are they venting off excess pressure?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top