Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2001 11:58:47 AM EDT
After one month of disappointment I found again my favourite forum... I feared to have lost everything!!!

Ok... nice to meet you guys and let's post my question...

I want a rifle not to have the tightest group at the range fire, or the nicest, but an AR that is a good compromise between reliability and precision: I restricted my choice between two:
1)Colt AR15 Sporter II Hbar.
Pro: combat tested, chrome lined barrel.
Trade Offs: high price, scarce availability on the market, magazine of only FIVE rounds, no more in production (*SIGH*)
2)Olympic K4B:
Pro: lower price than Colt, still in production, mags with 10 rounds (pls. don't laugh), sharp shooting.
Trade offs: no chrome lined barrel.
This can be a serious trade off using the Oly as a real Assault Rifle and no as a range fire - toy?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I can think of no reason a chromed lined barrel would be more reliable than a stainless match barrel.  I would have a slighlty longer life however.  I would go over to the Competition Forum and look for John Holliger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, I remember you....

please make the old board come back, mister.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2001 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking to buy the Oly K4B (or K3B) with the chromy moly barrell... (I don't like the shining stainless steel on a military rifle... )
Anyone has experience in hunting and stying out for hunting many days with an AR15?
Link Posted: 2/8/2001 6:10:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not a bushmaster?Chrome-moly/chrome-lined,barrel?(standard) costs less than colt, reliable,Have not seen a Oly to compare quality so on that I don't really know, price is about the same as Oly(depending on model,of course,)
Link Posted: 2/8/2001 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Bushmaster are difficult to find in the italian market, and the only real AR is what americans call Dissipator, that is a carbine, while I am looking for a standard 20" rifle. The other rifle that is currently imported (for what I know...) is the Bushmaster V 24" sharp shooting rifle. I definitively want somthing that is looking like an M16A2...
Thank you anyway...
Why not a bushmaster?Chrome-moly/chrome-lined,barrel?(standard) costs less than colt, reliable,Have not seen a Oly to compare quality so on that I don't really know, price is about the same as Oly(depending on model,of course,)
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/8/2001 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't been impressed with Olympic, either the kit I bought or the guns I've seen in stores.  I'd spend the extra money on the Colt, Bushmaster or Armalite.
Link Posted: 2/8/2001 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I would go with the Colt.  I don't really like the finish on the Oly's, but I hear their barrels are very accurate. tighter chamber too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2001 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Skip the Colt. Their quality has gone to sh!t in the last two years. [pissed]

Buy an [green]Armalite[/green]. [beer]

Link Posted: 2/9/2001 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Really I would... but I dont' like the MT without flash suppressors and the Sporter are ALL USED ONES... and very difficult to find at reasonable price... :(

I would go with the Colt.  I don't really like the finish on the Oly's, but I hear their barrels are very accurate. tighter chamber too.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2001 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Paolo,

I think that the Oly will do you fine.

Can't you just buy a Colt barrel of your choice and have it installed.

Paolo nice to see shooters from other countries on the board.

Bienvenutti alla nostra famiglia.

AR 15.Com dove si trova la gente con le palle cudrate.

I can't spell it properly but hope you can understand it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Understood friend... I hope also that the kind people who wanted to answer me, clearly understood wich kind of "tool" I need...
;)

Quoted:
Paolo,

I think that the Oly will do you fine.

Can't you just buy a Colt barrel of your choice and have it installed.

Paolo nice to see shooters from other countries on the board.

Bienvenutti alla nostra famiglia.

AR 15.Com dove si trova la gente con le palle cudrate.

I can't spell it properly but hope you can understand it.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top