Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2001 5:25:48 PM EDT
I posted this this morning and can't find it. Anyway, opinions and feedback on a colt 762x39,thinking of adding to the collection. Any input welcome. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#1]
glad to say that mine is on the list of guns i once owned--i traded the upper and other valuable consideration for a FAL...Reason i traded was it was never a gun i would grab in a SHTF situation--it may work or it may not--i had the USA mags that are supposed to be the best and it still would not cut it...if you want a 7.62 X 39 buy an AK--they will take a licken and keep on ticken--if you want an AR get a 223--Mags are the biggest problem with the 7.62 ARs.....The Colt mags are 5 shot at best and it doesn't matter how long they are...the only reason the USA mags work better and hold more rounds is that they are an AK mag welded to the feed tower of an AR mag....ope this helps...Dick
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine. My first pre ban was a 7.62x39. That caliber AR was never adopted by any military in the world so there are no mil spec mags. USA's are the only hi cap mags made that will work in that gun. Some are not as reliable as others but with a little "tuning" they become very dependable. It all boils down to one thing .... Do I want a .30 caliber AR ???
I don't have any regrets about my purchase.
Jus my $0.02       --- Rooster
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like my Colt R6830 Sporter Lightweight 7.62x39. It's safe to say that my collection will never again be without one again. Yes, magazines are the Achille's heel of this particular AR, but it isn't some kind of insurmountable problem. The USA mags either do or can be made to work well. There are also new postban 10 round polymer mags available from MWG. The factory 5 round mags work fine, too, especially if you are using the gun for hunting. I personally think the AR and the 7.62x39 make a great combination. Accuracy, reliability, and punch. My only wish is that the aftermarket had had more time to develop better hi-cap mags before the ban, but what we've got is definitely workable. No complaints or regrets here.

There has been an ongoing thread about these rifles in another forum. You can check it out at [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=13026[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top