Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know this is a sensitive topic, and I'm not trying to insult anyone....but I just want to ask the question.

My wife is not super religious, but likes to go to church once a month or so. She says it makes her feel betterI'm ok with that. Every now and then she asks me to go with her..I don't want to, but it's my wifeand a marriage is a compromise.
I'm a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person.  Everything good or bad that happens to me is because of my own hard work, my good choices, my bad choices, or good/bad luck.that's it.

I don't know how people can sit for an hour and listen to some preacher get up there ramble on and on about how they need to look for a higher power to believe in when things get them down, when things don't go right, or when they are having a rough time with life.  I can listen to it for about 5 min, and my eyes glaze over and I'm thinking about riding dirt bikes, fishing, or a multitude of other things.

I guess I just can't wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality that they can't realize that everything that happens to them is of their own doing.nothing more, nothing less.

What am I missing here?
View Quote
Mabe find a different church where they aren't preaching that sort of message...  I think that's a reasonable compromise to make.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crackers and wine go great with cheese
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm looking for quick, accurate, logical points......not drawn out philosophical ramblings....that never accomplishes anything except wasting time.

You waste your time dwelling on the beliefs of others, or how they make YOU feel better about yourself.
  But how is OP going to feel superior otherwise?  I mean the whole premise of this thread is OP's superior intellect and how to cope with those dumbass Zeolites that bog his life down.

His mind is so sharp he can't even conceive that somebody can be strong willed, confident, and emotionally strong and yet still believe in Magic Sky Daddy.

Well gotta go again, this thread has made me so emotionally fragile, weak minded and so out of touch with reality I have to go handle snakes, speak in tongues and eat some unleavened read and drink some wine.
Crackers and wine go great with cheese
 Maybe my back will up to traveling to Classic and we'll break bread and cut the cheese.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Just stay out of the church, you'll be a lot happier and hopefully it'll rub off on your wife.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like you've got it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how people can sit for an hour and listen to some preacher get up there ramble on and on about how they need to look for a higher power to believe in when things get them down, when things don't go right, or when they are having a rough time with life.  I can listen to it for about 5 min, and my eyes glaze over and I'm thinking about riding dirt bikes, fishing, or a multitude of other things.

I guess I just can't wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality that they can't realize that everything that happens to them is of their own doing.nothing more, nothing less.

What am I missing here?
Sounds like you've got it down.
I always thought that was why preachers yell, to keep half the congregation from falling asleep.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 Maybe my back will up to traveling to Classic and we'll break bread and cut the cheese.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A three year old girl gets leukemia. What action did they take to bring that on themselves?
View Quote
Nothing; there's an underlying presupposition there that doesn't exist: that good things happen only to good people and bad things only happen to bad people.

This guy explains.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There’s that arrogance again.
View Quote
Confident, not arrogant.  Not needing help is not a bad thing. Not having a hole that needs filled is a benefit, not a hindrance.

Being capable of coping with "life" without needing emotional support in the form of a "god" is not a sign of weakness.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Confident, not arrogant.  Not needing help is not a bad thing. Not having a hole that needs filled is a benefit, not a hindrance.

Being capable of coping with "life" without needing emotional support in the form of a "god" is not a sign of weakness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's that arrogance again.

Its not this life I'm worried about. I got this shit down.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's frightening that you equate self-reliance and responsibility with arrogance. Reminds of people who use terms like 'toxic masculinity'.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's frightening that you equate self-reliance and responsibility with arrogance. Reminds of people who use terms like 'toxic masculinity'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not what he (or anyone else) is equating. It's the fact that OP keeps insisting that religious people are by definition not self reliant, can't get through life without the crutch of faith, are weak and stupid.

That's the arrogance.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Black church services are more entertaining and energetic.  They have a band with a drummer and get down with the gospel.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm looking for quick, accurate, logical points......not drawn out philosophical ramblings....that never accomplishes anything except wasting time.

View Quote
Those three are rarely (if ever) found in a good argument. It is either quick, accurate, or logical (rational/reasonable are better terms here--"logical" simply means "adhering to the laws of logic," which actually isn't saying much), but it is never all three.

You either take the time to process nuanced arguments and try to understand them or you cling to your lack of intellectual rigor and say that it's "confidence." Up to you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Black church services are more entertaining and energetic.  They have a band with a drummer and get down with the gospel.
View Quote
 Its not just Black churches anymore.  Around here, except for few Primitive Baptists, Church of Christ, and such, there is usually a full band with lights, effects, and such.  Nowhere is the Bible does it say, "Thou shalt have a shitty time at Church."
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Its not just Black churches anymore.  Around here, except for few Primitive Baptists, Church of Christ, and such, there is usually a full band with lights, effects, and such.  Nowhere is the Bible does it say, "Thou shalt have a shitty time at Church."
View Quote
What about a mosh pit?

Reenact Jesus and the money-lenders every Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sure....I agree. Nobody's perfect....but why would anyone want to be constantly reminded of that? You can't change the past but you can change the future.

Why do you need a preacher to tell you that?  It's all common sense. Be a good person, don't be a jerk, live life treating others how you want to be treated.

Some times you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. That's life....deal with it.

I guess some people just can't except that as their reality, and need to believe there is something bigger out there.
View Quote
For someone who is so strong willed and confident in his beliefs, you sure are spending a lot of time trying to justify (to yourself, maybe ?) your set of beliefs (or non-beliefs).
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I am not much into organized religion myself, however, I have no need to say followers are weak minded, etc.

Everyone finds truth/higher power/God/inner peace their own way. As long as they do not preach at me or harm others, to each their own,

OP, support your wife and be nice to everyone when you go with her. Happy wife and all that...
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't deal with it. I remove it from my life. I made it clear to my wife that if she ever turned religious I would divorce her, as I would no longer respect her. We removed my father in law from our house for prattling on about religion and do not humor it. Religious people should be treated the same as every other crazy person talking to their imaginary friend.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What about a mosh pit?

View Quote
You might try the Pentecostals or the Apostolics.  I hear those get pretty wound up sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's not what he (or anyone else) is equating. It's the fact that OP keeps insisting that religious people are by definition not self reliant, can't get through life without the crutch of faith, are weak and stupid.

That's the arrogance.
View Quote
If you depend on a higher power to get you through life......how is that "self reliance"?  If you need a book to tell you what's right and wrong...how is that self reliance?  If everything that happens is in fact because of some higher power that deems it to be, and you are not in control..... how is that self reliance?

It just doesn't make sense to me. How can you be self reliant.....but also "need" something to believe in to make you feel whole?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good luck getting that from bible verses.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#21]
TLDR,
I have self confidence and think for myself, therefore, I do not participate.
Those who go will say the same thing except add that thy are a sinner and need some Jesus to be complete.
I believe that's a dichotomy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you depend on a higher power to get you through life......how is that "self reliance"?  If you need a book to tell you what's right and wrong...how is that self reliance?  If everything that happens is in fact because of some higher power that deems it to be, and you are not in control..... how is that self reliance?

It just doesn't make sense to me.
View Quote
Judeo/Christian morality is the foundation of this society whether you like it or not.  You adhere to those teaching every day.
We do have free will and God is not going to force you to worship Him.  I have faith but I'm not going yell, "Catch me Jesus!" and jump off a bridge expecting him to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What about a mosh pit?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about a mosh pit?

Watching someone flip the keyboard stand in church would be humorous.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I always liked Marcus Aurelius' stance.

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
View Quote
I get really pissed when people say that without religion there would be no morality, and you need to believe that stuff in order to be a good person.

I disagree.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't go to church, nor am I religious.

I do believe in God (actually I know that God exists due to an experience I had one time in which I "met" God, and God explained many things to me).

There is really no need for church, or religion.  Life itself will provide each person with all that they need.  Our purpose is not to find God, or believe in God, but to live meaningful lives and do good things.  God is in fact omniscient, but God "learns" through us what it can't learn as it exists as itself.  It limits itself, separates itself into fragments, and we are those fragments.  Our spirit is what is made in God's image.  Our growth, our 'correction' through living many lives, and ultimately merging back into God, is what we are here for.   The deeper spiritual lessons that we learn through our lives remain after our death in each life.  What is not needed, or does not benefit us is cast aside.

You don't need religion or church.  You have everything you need within you and around you.  Your body is your temple.

That is not to say that religions do not provide guides and lessons, and even deeper meaning than even the most religious adherents can't see without the right eyes to see it.  The Bible is more than just a book.  Its a technology.  Though it has been changed and diluted and had many lies added to it over the centuries.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I do believe in God (actually I know that God exists due to an experience I had one time in which I "met" God, and God explained many things to me).
View Quote
Can you describe that in a bit more detail, please?

It's rather vague.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It just doesn't make sense to me. How can you be self reliant.....but also "need" something to believe in to make you feel whole?
View Quote
You grew up in Western society, which is strongly grounded in Judeo-Christian ethics. Anyone who would argue otherwise is either ignorant of history or ethics (or both). You have been conditioned to live in accordance with a particular set of basic moral principles--don't murder, don't steal, don't lie, etc.--principles that are nonexistent in many (if not most) cultures throughout history. Where they are prevalent today is largely a result of Western influence on those cultures.

Thus, yes, you in fact did need a book to tell you what's right and wrong. While it's arguable that most humans have a basic set of innate moral intuitions, it is clear from history that the Christian and Jewish scriptures in particular have been hugely influential in codifying and refining them.

Your moral intuitions are a result of Christian influence whether you like it or not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
See Muslims. Yes, that is exactly what I’m saying. The fact you have one mother, one father, who marry and raise you. That’s jesus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you know that what you described is because of Jesus’s teachings?  What your parents taught you is because of Jesus.
So you are telling me that without there ever being a Jesus.....human beings would never understand the concept of "don't be an asshole to each other"?  You have a pretty low opinion of humans.

I'm guessing there are plenty of cultures of people on the planet who have been totally isolated from any idea of God or Jesus.....and I bet they have a standard set of morals and codes of conduct they live buy.

If you don't think that is the case.....then every baby is nothing but a killing machine until they are taught religious teachings......kind of scary, and far fetched.
See Muslims. Yes, that is exactly what I’m saying. The fact you have one mother, one father, who marry and raise you. That’s jesus.
In Japan people are pretty nice to each other. Perhaps the lowest homicide rate in the world for any large country, we're talking 4 times less than the UK and around 16 times less than the US. Yet, so few of them believe in Christianity and they have a huge non-religious population. That blows that argument out of the water.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I get really pissed when people say that without religion there would be no morality, and you need to believe that stuff in order to be a good person.

I disagree.
View Quote
I'm with you.  I think that people know right from wrong.....even without religion.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You grew up in Western society, which is strongly grounded in Judeo-Christian ethics. Anyone who would argue otherwise is either ignorant of history or ethics (or both). You have been conditioned to live in accordance with a particular set of basic moral principles--don't murder, don't steal, don't lie, etc.--principles that are nonexistent in many (if not most) cultures throughout history. Where they are prevalent today is largely a result of Western influence on those cultures.

Thus, yes, you in fact did need a book to tell you what's right and wrong. While it's arguable that most humans have a basic set of innate moral intuitions, it is clear from history that the Christian and Jewish scriptures in particular have been hugely influential in codifying and refining them.

Your moral intuitions are a result of Christian influence whether you like it or not.
View Quote
As I recall, Hammurabi was neither Christian nor Jewish, nor was he a member of Western Society.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doubling down- nice.

You can’t have a conversation when you start out with the faulty assumption that someone is inferior to you. It colors your remarks and pervades your thinking.

As you’ve shown here repeatedly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In Japan people are pretty nice to each other. Perhaps the lowest homicide rate in the world for any large country, we're talking 4 times less than the UK and around 16 times less than the US. Yet, so few of them believe in Christianity and they have a huge non-religious population. That blows that argument out of the water.
View Quote
Good point!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try. Swing and a miss.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What about a mosh pit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about a mosh pit?
Probably on Saturday nights. Check these bands' schedules: https://www.solidstaterecords.com/artists
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For someone who is so strong willed and confident in his beliefs, you sure are spending a lot of time trying to justify (to yourself, maybe ?) your set of beliefs (or non-beliefs).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure....I agree. Nobody's perfect....but why would anyone want to be constantly reminded of that? You can't change the past but you can change the future.

Why do you need a preacher to tell you that?  It's all common sense. Be a good person, don't be a jerk, live life treating others how you want to be treated.

Some times you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. That's life....deal with it.

I guess some people just can't except that as their reality, and need to believe there is something bigger out there.
Nah he doesn’t care about that. He only needs to feel better than those weak willed Believers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the arrogance.

Who says they need it to get through life? Perhaps they find comfort in it and some meaning. Do a lot of religious people make their own way in life? Yes, absolutely. My ex-father in law went from the Army, to working two jobs while he put himself through college, started a business and is now worth millions. He did that himself, even though he's religious.

Is a person like that not self reliant?

This is where you're arrogance comes in. You're making a HUGE assumption concerning the role religion plays in every religious person's life.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your entire premise and reason for this thread paints a self portrait of weakness and insecurity.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the wording in the title is extremely loaded. It's no different than those "enlightened" college kids who call themselves "freethinkers."
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nah he doesn't care about that. He only needs to feel better than those weak willed Believers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah he doesn't care about that. He only needs to feel better than those weak willed Believers.
 You know that's funny. My Mom says I am extremely strong willed. Stubborn as mule. Hard headed. If OP actually knew me he would probably say the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is undiluted bullshit.  The history of the world is replete with multiple societies and cultures wherein "murder, stealing, etc were verboten.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#41]
It's maybe also worth remembering that just for example, some of the earliest settlers in America were extremely religious and they sailed across the ocean and made a new life. But yeah, totally a bunch of weak willed pussies.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is undiluted bullshit.  The history of the world is replete with multiple societies and cultures wherein "murder, stealing, etc were verboten.
View Quote
Impossible.....without the teachings in the good book, people would turn into savages.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit. The first written record of ANY laws said pretty much that and they were not Christian, and not western. Much of the world had the same types of rules well before Christianity showed up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Impossible.....without the teachings in the good book, people would turn into savages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a fan of Western Civilization?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bullshit. The first written record of ANY laws said pretty much that and they were not Christian, and not western. Much of the world had the same types of rules well before Christianity showed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first written record of laws WERE predominantly about religion.

Rule of Law, and the concept of there being a higher authority than the local warlord came from religion.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's maybe also worth remembering that just for example, some of the earliest settlers in America were extremely religious and they sailed across the ocean and made a new life. But yeah, totally a bunch of weak willed pussies.
View Quote
I never said every single people who is religious is weak minded. I said that the people I have been exposed to are mostly weak minded.  I'm just commenting on my personal experiences......I'm not making a blanket statement regarding every religious person.

Big difference.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Probably already been said, but I don't think that being a Christian means that you cannot be a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person.
I'm all of the above and a Christian. I'm not a Bible thumper and don't try to convert anyone, but I have faith, I pray, I go to church once or twice a month and generally try to live a good life. I also won't be run over, rail roaded or fall into a puddle of tears at the first sign of adversity. I see God more as a leader that doesn't micro manage. He gave us free will and brains for a reason...what we do with it is our decision. Praying is communication. I don't ask for anything when I pray...I tell my problems and thank Him for making me the way he did, so that I can deal with what comes my way.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Like Op I too am confident, "self reliant", and strong willed. And over the course of 60+ years on this planet I've come to exactly the opposite conclusion that OP has. I'm not in charge or able to control a single thing. It's all Him-all the time. EVERYTHING-all of it for His glory not mine .
As for Church I read and STUDY the Bible for myself. I go to church to encourage others. (When I go). It's turned into a weekly check the box social club for most of America with almost no Bible teaching, encouragement, or practical application.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So blame god instead?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know this is a sensitive topic, and I'm not trying to insult anyone....but I just want to ask the question.

My wife is not super religious, but likes to go to church once a month or so. She says it makes her feel better…I’m ok with that. Every now and then she asks me to go with her…..I don’t want to, but it’s my wife…and a marriage is a compromise.
I’m a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person.  Everything good or bad that happens to me is because of my own hard work, my good choices, my bad choices, or good/bad luck….that’s it.

I don’t know how people can sit for an hour and listen to some preacher get up there ramble on and on about how they need to look for a higher power to believe in when things get them down, when things don’t go right, or when they are having a rough time with life.  I can listen to it for about 5 min, and my eyes glaze over and I’m thinking about riding dirt bikes, fishing, or a multitude of other things.

I guess I just can’t wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality that they can’t realize that everything that happens to them is of their own doing….nothing more, nothing less.

What am I missing here?
A three year old girl gets leukemia. What action did they take to bring that on themselves?
So blame god instead?
Yes since according to the people in the God is good thread he watches over such minute details such as people not having a wreck on the way to work.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's the arrogance.
View Quote
I know a guy who is very senior in Corporate of a large multi national I work for. I meet occasionally with him as he tours plants and drops in once in a while. Anyhow I went out to lunch with him last year, hes a fantastically smart guy. I was like hey what is your real background figuring it would be Engineering or some other Operational type skillset.. he said he had a Doctorate in Astro Physics. We had a great discussion about the universe and what not, this guy is top notch. The ironic bit was in the middle of the conversation he says to me that he is a very devout believer. I wouldve never guessed it with his heavy science background and asked him to equate how this came to be.

People who believe in religion come in all shapes and forms, from the stupid to some of the brightest and best in their field. I think one cannot generalize by a persons background whether they are a believer or not.  For some to say only the weak and stupid are religious..well this guy sure wasnt and is at the top of his field.

Not everything fits neatly into a box.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top