User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe you're at the wrong church ?
View Quote
There’s no good church for an atheist. The man doesn’t believe in god, so he’s bored when he gets dragged in.

Maybe a jump around, sing and dance church? All fun and no philosophy? That might work.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

To be honest...I've never really even though about it.  Not sure I believe in a "god", but I can't say there isn't one.  This may sound bad....but I just don't care.  I live my life under the rule of "treat others how you would like to be treated".

When I hear preachers talk.....would could switch out the word "God" with "the giant panda", or "holy elephant".....and it would all be the same to me.

I've just never understood any of it.......but I don't go around telling people there is no god, or they shouldn't go to church. I just don't care.....people can do what ever they want, believe in what ever they want.
View Quote
Yeah, you’re an atheist who understands that agnosticism makes more sense. There’s lots of us.

It may be better to lie to your wife, if she can’t handle it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There’s no good church for an atheist. The man doesn’t believe in god, so he’s bored when he gets dragged in.

Maybe a jump around, sing and dance church? All fun and no philosophy? That might work.
View Quote
Say what? Philosophy and fun aren't mutually exclusive! After all, you can't spell "philosophy" without "phun."

Ok I'll leave now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It doesn't sound that way at all. Just because someone doesn't have a need for religion doesn't make them an atheist
View Quote
How would that not be atheism or agnosticism?

I guess a believer could just say fuck god, but that would be asking for damnation. Who would do that?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Too bad the OP couldn't take a time machine back to circa 1776 and ask the Founding Fathers

I dunno, but seems like they get kudos for meeting his three criteria
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
To me op it comes with the territory of being an engineer.  I've been through all the classes and i think a lot of religion is meant to explain things they couldn't explain at the time.  I believe i some sort of higher power but honestly I see so much more out in the woods and wilderness than I have ever seen in a church.  I'm going through something similar as you.  My wife is catholic and wants to attend some which I do.  But I've never been in a more unwelcoming place than the catholic church.  
But hey, Happy wife, Happy Life and all.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
According to my wife, her church is in a river with a fly rod in her hand.  Works for me.
View Quote
That sounds great to me, but the Bible said you have to gather with other Christians. It’s like, required.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Say what? Philosophy and fun aren't mutually exclusive! After all, you can't spell "philosophy" without "phun."

Ok I'll leave now.
View Quote
Philosophy is great fun for you and me, but obviously not OP.

At least not the one his wife goes for.

A lot of people love bible study (philosophy) but hate preaching. I’d suggest that as a compromise but I don’t think OP would like it either.

I think he needs “active” fun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You have some fundamental misconceptions about religion.
View Quote
According to several others in their thread...god is who controls your world.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#10]
One doesn't have to go to church to believe in God or to practice their faith. I haven't attended a church since I was a teenager, but, I still believe in God and pray to him everyday regardless if I am in need of anything. And by the way, OP, good and bad things happen to people all the time and that has nothing to do with God. God has granted mankind free will to make their own decisions. They will ultimately reap the consequences of their decisions in the end. But, that's the wonderful thing about freedom. You write your own check and you eventually pay for it. Attending church does not expunge one's outstanding checks (sins). Only true remorse will. Most people pray to God for relief from issues troubling them. Nothing wrong with that. The bible does say that God will provide what you need, not necessarily what you want (phrase used by the Rolling Stones). But, it's understood that you must not rely on God to be your servant and provide everything for you. It's the other way around, man is God's servant. Those that didn't like that arrangement and were too arrogant and too stubborn to accept it left with their leader, Lucifer. In the end times they will all be destroyed. That's one thing that I am confident in.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I guess a believer could just say fuck god, but that would be asking for damnation. Who would do that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So you think that people need to quake in their shoes for god or they're an atheist?
To me, that's a stretch,
Too many Christian True Believers of certain denominations really over-play that whole "damnation if you're not one of us!"  threat.

Quoted:

That sounds great to me, but the Bible said you have to gather with other Christians. It’s like, required.
Which only matters to True Believers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not an atheist. I'd say I'm an agnostic. I believe in the possibility of a God. But no one can prove his existence. I think my problem is with organized religion, and that may be your problem too OP. I think organized religion and the church as a whole is nothing more than a business. I'm sure plenty on here will disagree and say their church isn't like that, and that may be true for them but in my experience the churches I've been to have all come down to the money. I've also met a lot of what I considered to be fake ass people in churches, you know, all nice to your face and put on a certain facade. I used to question my Christianity constantly, as I once considered myself a Christian. I never got straight answers to the questions I'd ask, so I made it a point to try and find the answers myself. All I can say is I'm 100% comfortable in my beliefs now, and have no questions. Some people need church, some don't. Some people need Narcotics Anonymous to quit dope, others don't. In the end I don't try and change anyone's mind about what they believe, my wife is still a believer and her father is a Pastor. It's definitely damaged my relationship with her father but I'm not going to pretend to be something I'm not. I don't consider people who need church to be weak minded, but I definitely feel they have a different thought process than I do. Probably comes down to faith, blind faith, the ability to believe in something you'll never see, hear, or feel. I'm one of those people that need proof.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Excellent post. An intelligent perspective.

Faith in a higher being that has a higher purpose for everyone keeps people grounded in reality. The only way to nurture that faith and keep it healthy is by prayer and Church.
View Quote
So believing in an all powerful being way up in the sky that nobody has ever seen, and requires "faith" to believe it is real.....is the one thing everyone needs, because it keeps our feet on the ground and keeps us grounded in reality?  Ok.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good stuff right here. Yes, I support my wife even if I'm not 100% on board. I don't get it....but people do what they want.

Yes, my wife (like most women) isn't emotionally strong. She needs a shoulder to cry on...someone to lift her up when she's in the dumps.....I'm ok with that, that's my job.  Im not like that.....I just don't need that kind if support.

Some people do....I'm fine with that.
View Quote
I’m like you, the not emo type. But I’m pretty sure social people who “let it out” and “need people” are much better adapted and do better. Their shit gets handled in the moment, it doesn’t linger, and they have friends who really know them. You’re supposed to cry and admit it when you feel stuff. And you’re supposed to feel stuff. People don’t like you when you don’t.

At least that’s what they tell me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Churches, sales meetings, time share seminars......pretty much anyone trying to convince me of something because they assume I can't figure it out on my own....and I need to "believe" what they tell me is someone I don't like to listen too.

Why would any intelligent, confident, strong minded person need to rely on someone else telling them what decisions they need to make in their own life?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So you think that people need to quake in their shoes for god or they're an atheist?
To me, that's a stretch,
Too many Christian True Believers of certain denominations really over-play that whole "damnation if you're not one of us!"  threat.

Which only matters to True Believers.
View Quote
If you believe god exists and you can read what he wants and you don’t do as commanded, aren’t you just asking “smite me”?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#18]
You need to be more afraid of death.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you even know how Free Will figgers into religion?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To me op it comes with the territory of being an engineer.  I've been through all the classes and i think a lot of religion is meant to explain things they couldn't explain at the time.  I believe i some sort of higher power but honestly I see so much more out in the woods and wilderness than I have ever seen in a church.  I'm going through something similar as you.  My wife is catholic and wants to attend some which I do.  But I've never been in a more unwelcoming place than the catholic church.  
But hey, Happy wife, Happy Life and all.
View Quote
Ding ding.... mechanical engineer here.  I operate on fact, common sense, and logic.  I have a difficult time believing in things I can't prove out. I'm not very emotional, and I handle things on my own.  Not sure if that good or bad.....but it's the way I operate.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:51:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So believing in an all powerful being way up in the sky that nobody has ever seen, and requires "faith" to believe it is real.....is the one thing everyone needs, because it keeps our feet on the ground and keeps us grounded in reality?  Ok.
View Quote
Well, it certainly helps a lot of people. Your wife, for instance.

Christians get a lot of happiness and comfort from their beliefs and activities. You know that. Are you playing dumb?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#22]
It's quite simple, I live my life and spend an hour a week at church and then some personal time thinking about things. You're doing a bad job at being edgy OP
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#23]
nobody is "self reliant" that's arrogance speaking.

The Parable of the Rich Fool
…17So he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, since I have nowhere to store my crops?’ 18Then he said, ‘This is what I will do: I will tear down my barns and will build bigger ones, and there I will store up all my grain and my goods. 19Then I will say to myself, “You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take it easy. Eat, drink, and be merry!”  20But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be required of you. Then who will own what you have accumulated?’…21This is how it will be for anyone who stores up treasure for himself but is not rich toward God.”…
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Churches, sales meetings, time share seminars......pretty much anyone trying to convince me of something because they assume I can't figure it out on my own....and I need to "believe" what they tell me is someone I don't like to listen too.

Why would any intelligent, confident, strong minded person need to rely on someone else telling them what decisions they need to make in their own life?
View Quote
Stop bragging on yourself and trying to justify why you hate boring stuff. Everyone hates boring stuff. It doesn’t mean you’re awesome, it just makes you look like a tool to keep bringing it up.

Preaching/speeches are dull to people outside the hobby.

You’re just outside the hobby.

You aren’t special or better.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You need to be more afraid of death.
View Quote
Why for?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm also a very strong willed, confident, emotionally strong person... and have no problems with believing in a Creator God.

That’s your first mistake OP. You think that people who believe in a Creator are not those things.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would any intelligent, confident, strong minded person be bothered about what others believe or have an issue accompanying his wife once a month while she goes to feel better?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why would any intelligent, confident, strong minded person be bothered about what others believe or have an issue accompanying his wife once a month while she goes to feel better?
View Quote
Because he’s terrified and he hurts inside and he doesn’t know how to let it out so he convinced himself his weaknesses are virtues.

Just playing devil’s advocate here.

Not that I believe in the devil, but that’s not because I’m strong or logical or better than people who do.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is God fully in charge of this world?
View Quote
Yes, but he gave us Free Will.  If we do something stupid and it hurts us or someone else, it is on us, not God.  If nothing bad ever happenbed, we would not have Free Will.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faith in a higher being that has a higher purpose for everyone keeps people grounded in reality. The only way to nurture that faith and keep it healthy is by prayer and Church.
You're right on one thing, "No one has ever seen God. The One and Only Son-- the One who is at the Father's side-- He has revealed Him."

The Son, Jesus, was seen. That's historic. It's a matter of faith as to whether he was the Son of God, who was dead, buried, and then raised by the power of God. I do "choose" to believe that.

Back to that comment about being strong willed/confident, what do you make of forefathers such as George Washington? At the very least he was a deist. His adopted daughter says that he was a man of faithful prayer, though I'm not sure she claims that he was necessarily a Christian. He and a number of other forefathers were Freemasons which to this day requires belief in some deity, a Creator of all. Were they also weak willed? Not self-reliant?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Christians get a lot of happiness and comfort from their beliefs and activities. You know that. Are you playing dumb?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not arguing that one bit. It helps a LOT of people. Lots of good comes out of religion for people who need it.....I agree.

My original question was for the people like me who don't need that type of "help" with life, how do they handle going to church (if they do at all).

It wasn't a "I'm better than you because I don't like church" type of post...sorry if it came off that way.  Yes, from the churches I have gone to........my personal experience has been that most of the people I see there are weak, can't handle reality, and need help. They cry about all of their problems and ask for prayers, but don't "pull themselves up by their boot straps" and make things better....they rely on everyone else to help them.  Religion helps them out......but I still think that if they were stronger mentally, more self reliant, and took things for what they are......they would not need all of that help.

This is actually a good conversation......the whole point of a "General Discussion".  See....GD can be used for more things than Tay Tay and Tranny threads

And I'm not trying to say all churches are bad....the one my wife goes to does do a lot of legitimate charity work, and work helping out the community with things. So in that sense, I think it's very positive.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Maybe you should introduce yourself to him and ask him that question.
View Quote
While he's at it, maybe he should introduce himself to Santa Claus and ask for a new Lamborghini next Christmas.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm not arguing that one bit. It helps a LOT of people. Lots of good comes out of religion for people who need it.....I agree.

My original question was for the people like me who don't need that type of "help" with life, how do they handle going to church (if they do at all).

It wasn't a "I'm better than you because I don't like church" type of post...sorry if it came off that way.  Yes, from the churches I have gone to........my personal experience has been that most of the people I see there are weak, can't handle reality, and need help. They cry about all of their problems and ask for prayers, but don't "pull themselves up by their boot straps" and make things better....they rely on everyone else to help them.  Religion helps them out......but I still think that if they were stronger mentally, more self reliant, and took things for what they are......they would not need all of that help.

This is actually a good conversation......the whole point of a "General Discussion".  See....GD can be used for more things than Tay Tay and Tranny threads

And I'm not trying to say all churches are bad....the one my wife goes to does do a lot of legitimate charity work, and work helping out the community with things. So in that sense, I think it's very positive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just can’t help yourself. You think your better than those who believe in god. Don’t worry, all of you people do.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Stop bragging on yourself and trying to justify why you hate boring stuff. Everyone hates boring stuff. It doesn’t mean you’re awesome, it just makes you look like a tool to keep bringing it up.

View Quote
Well, I guess if listening to someone preach, or listening to someone give you a speech on how you need to live your life because you are doing it wrong is a hobby....I'm just not into that hobby

I'm not saying I'm better than anyone......maybe it was implied, and if it was..I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely.

As mythical and make-believe that it sounds, we are only in this world temporarily and are merely footnotes in history textbooks. Besides that, many things about life are unexplainable without a higher being so that makes sense.

Although there are some that believe they are magnificent and great like God despite the fact they are flesh and blood like everyone else, they are not God and never will be. Those are the people that need faith.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#36]
The problem with the whole atheist/agnostic thing is that theism requires a revelation to provide enough specificity about God to make belief meaningful, and to believe a revelation to be divine is to have a religion. It only seems like an unambiguous question to people who have God in a small enough box not to realize the distinction isn't valid for anyone who doesn't.

I don't know if I'm a deist, but I'm certain I'm not a theist, and as far as I can tell that's virtually everyone without a religion, at least once you cut through all the BS surrounding the question. I mean pick your radical atheist and you'll find them making inherently agnostic statements regarding deism.

Adeism doesn't even seem to be a word.

It's the specific claim of a personal God who intervenes in natural causality that's always at issue. I think that's people creating God in their image, a perfectly understandable thing for any creature to do, conceive of God as the most powerful creature like them they can conceive of, but catastrophic because everything that derives from that premise is poisoned by it and the way it cripples one's capacity for incredulity and expectation of causality, and thereby their reason.

I don't have a problem of suffering or evil to resolve, so I have no need for devils or demons, but if I did I'd believe theists were deceived by them.

I just don't go OP. You can get fellowship and music without all the lunacy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ding ding.... mechanical engineer here.  I operate on fact, common sense, and logic.  I have a difficult time believing in things I can't prove out. I'm not very emotional, and I handle things on my own.  Not sure if that good or bad.....but it's the way I operate.
View Quote
Prove you love your wife. I don't mean give examples of how you think you demonstrate it. It's certainly possible for a person to do nice things for someone they don't like while it's also possible to hurt someone you love, so that doesn't do it.

You can't see your love. Show me how your love is a "fact". Scientifically "prove it out".

You can't. But you take on faith that what you feel for her is love and that she also loves you. Other things can also be taken on faith that aren't able to be seen, and that doesn't make somebody stupid, illogical, or dependent.

Reason is only half of the human equation.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I think you can be both, can’t you? Strong in faith and in personality?

Like you said, it’s a sensitive subject.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never said I had a problem with it......I do it because it makes her happy.  It doesn't mean I don't support her even if I don't understand why she wants to go to church.    And I never said I was bothered about what others believe?  This is a discussion board right? It's for discussions?

I've never really gave religion much though.....religious, atheist, agnostic....I've never really even thought about those things., I just don't really even care.  The one thing I will tell you is that I've noticed that if you don't believe what they do, religious people are fast to attack you.....even other religious people that don't believe exactly what they do.

I've never attached anyone for believing in what they want......that's kind of the whole idea of me living my own life, not relying on others to control my thoughts, or attempt to make me believe how they do. ....just saying.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Because he’s terrified and he hurts inside and he doesn’t know how to let it out so he convinced himself his weaknesses are virtues.

Not that I believe in the devil, but that’s not because I’m strong or logical or better than people who do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok...now this is getting kind of comical
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
You sit down, shut up, and then go to brunch afterwards. Not sure why that's even a question.

And yes, it absolutely was an "I'm better than you" type thing- if it wasn't you wouldn't have called religious people weak willed, emotionally weak, and whatever other insults you chose to use.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a very close friend who is a closeted atheist.  I know he's an atheist we've talked about it many times.  Not only does he go to church, he's actually taught Sunday school, and actively participates in his church's social activities.

He says it gives his family structure, and his children a moral base upon which to build.

Is he a hypocrite?  I suppose, but in the scheme of things, is it really all that bad?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well, I guess if listening to someone preach, or listening to someone give you a speech on how you need to live your life because you are doing it wrong is a hobby....I'm just not into that hobby

I'm not saying I'm better than anyone......maybe it was implied, and if it was..I'm sorry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't imply it, you straight up said it right out:

"I guess I just can’t wrap my mind around how people can be so emotionally fragile, so weak minded, so out of touch with reality that they can’t realize that everything that happens to them is of their own doing….nothing more, nothing less."
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I never said I had a problem with it......I do it because it makes her happy.  It doesn't mean I don't support her even if I don't understand why she wants to go to church.    And I never said I was bothered about what others believe?  This is a discussion board right? It's for discussions?

I've never really gave religion much though.....religious, atheist, agnostic....I've never really even thought about those things., I just don't really even care.  The one thing I will tell you is that I've noticed that if you don't believe what they do, religious people are fast to attack you.....even other religious people that don't believe exactly what they do.

I've never attached anyone for believing in what they want......that's kind of the whole idea of me living my own life, not relying on others to control my thoughts, or attempt to make me believe how they do. ....just saying.
View Quote
Your OP was an attack on religious people. You clearly think you're better, stronger, and more intelligent. That's why you're getting a raft of shit even from other atheists and agnostics.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a very close friend who is a closeted atheist.  I know he's an atheist we've talked about it many times.  Not only does he go to church, he's actually taught Sunday school, and actively participates in his church's social activities.

He says it gives his family structure, and his children a moral base upon which to build.

Is he a hypocrite?  I suppose, but in the scheme of things, is it really all that bad?
View Quote
Living a lie must be exhausting, and I don’t know why your friend bothers to do it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Whenever I hear or see the “weak  minded”  argument I think about C.S. Lewis’s writings , his was an absolute brilliant mind, many folks would do well to read his stuff.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You just can’t help yourself. You think your better than those who believe in god. Don’t worry, all of you people do.
View Quote
I look at it this way.  If one day everyone woke and it was proven that there is no god....110% proof that it was all made up.  It would not change my perspective of things, change how I treat people, or affect my moral compass in the slightest bit.  In that way, I consider myself mentally/emotionally stronger than people who need to believe in a higher power. I'm "self sufficient".  I don't need to believe to live a great life.

You might not like hearing that......but you can't argue with my own personal views on things.

Am I wrong?  Who knows...who cares. In the end, it's not really going to matter.

Hell, 1000 years ago everyone believe in Thor, and all of the other "gods".  Who knows what people will believe in 1000 years from now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I go to church with my brother and his wife and her parents for Christmas.

I do it for them, not for me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most people are a mess. Those train wreck people wouldn’t be better without church, they’d be worse.

They’re like type two diabetics at the hospital. They’re not going to diet and take care of their feet any better if they avoid the doctor.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top