BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@FAIL-SAFE Have you had the NAR and Recon medical TQ's in your hand side by side to compare them, yes or no?

I have and IMO they are the same as far as quality goes.
View Quote
Hypothetically speaking, if they are of the same quality and priced similarly, then it would be foolish to buy the non-CoTCCC recommended tourniquet of the two.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hypothetically speaking, if they are of the same quality and priced similarly, then it would be foolish to buy the non-CoTCCC recommended tourniquet of the two.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@FAIL-SAFE Have you had the NAR and Recon medical TQ's in your hand side by side to compare them, yes or no?

@DAVE_M If that were true I would agree but 1 is half the cost (or better) of the other (IIRC if you buy 10 you can get the Recons for around $12) for what IMO is the same quality. It's a free country, do what you want but the Recon Medical is a quality product for those on a budget.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
mUh cOtCcCCcCcVcvVa
View Quote
Lol

Wtf does that even mean?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Recon TQ did what many people have asked for, they've combined the metal windlass feature of the SOFTT and added it to a CAT...

If CAT follows I cannot even fathom what the price point would be.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
We played with a RATS TQ at work (I work in the Emergency Department of a trauma center) and I ran it by our trauma surgeon, who was the Director of Clinical Operations for the Army, Navy, and Air Force in Iraq and is the man that wrote he order that all troops in Iraq carry a CAT TQ.

My conclusions are that the RATS will work if applied correctly.  We confirmed this with a pulse doppler.  However the CAT is more "idiot proof"  It is hard to fuck up putting a CAT on, but you can do so with a RATS.  The two biggest pros of the RATS in my opinion is that it causes less pain when applied, meaning PT's are less likely to fight the TQ or try to remove it.  And the compact size, meaning while I have multiple CAT TQ's in my various trauma kits, I keep a RATS in my pocket.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The ones linked at the top of this page from Recon Medical are just as good for half the price (or less if you buy in bulk). Get one and compare them side by side.

Not everyone has the funds to spend $30 for each TQ. With the money you save you can buy more (increasing the places you keep them and ensuring you have 1 when you need one) or put the savings towards something else.

YMMV
View Quote
No. People should be sticking with what the fuck we KNOW works. And that's the one the US military has evaluated and approved.

Cheaping out on a fucking tourniquet?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@DAVE_M If that were true I would agree but 1 is half the cost (or better) of the other (IIRC if you buy 10 you can get the Recons for around $12) for what IMO is the same quality. It's a free country, do what you want but the Recon Medical is a quality product for those on a budget.
View Quote
All I have to say is that you are a stingy person if you are concerned with saving a few bucks on the difference between the real deal and something "just as good."

I've bought CAT Gen 7's for sub-$20/ea from an actual NAR dealer. If you want to buy cheap knockoffs, go ahead, but don't be ignorant.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have used a CAT more than once and people survived. But hey guess my standards maybe different than some.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No. People should be sticking with what the fuck we KNOW works. And that's the one the US military has evaluated and approved.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones linked at the top of this page from Recon Medical are just as good for half the price (or less if you buy in bulk). Get one and compare them side by side.

Not everyone has the funds to spend $30 for each TQ. With the money you save you can buy more (increasing the places you keep them and ensuring you have 1 when you need one) or put the savings towards something else.

YMMV

So you've had them both in hand and compared them side by side then, yes or no? Or are you just going to go with the "because the .gov said so" route?

I'll call you
and raise

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV

Look on the bright side!!!   More CATs for you!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Enjoy watching your loved one die on a budget.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All I have to say is that you are a stingy person if you are concerned with saving a few bucks on the difference between the real deal and something "just as good."

I've bought CAT Gen 7's for sub-$20/ea from an actual NAR dealer. If you want to buy cheap knockoffs, go ahead, but don't be ignorant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, they're not cheap knock offs, nor am I stingy or ignorant. I'll ask you the same, have you had them both hand in hand and compared them side by side, yes or no?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't but thank you for the well wishes.....

I'll ask you the same as everyone else who's dodging the question and just resorting to childish name calling. Have you had the 2 side by side and compared them, yes or no?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you've had them both in hand and compared them side by side then, yes or no? Or are you just going to go with the "because the .gov said so" route?

I'll call you
and raise

View Quote
With some thing, I'll use generic brands. But not when it comes to a tourniquet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
With some thing, I'll use generic brands. But not when it comes to a tourniquet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll call you
and raise

So I'll take that as a no. Why don't you do that before you jump all over other peoples shit so you can know what you'ere talking about?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I'll take that as a no. Why don't you do that before you jump all over other peoples shit so you can know what you'ere talking about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll call you
and raise

I'm on other message boards with real guys who been down range. And with a ton of experience with tourniquets and medical knowledge. They all say to stick with North American Rescue Tourniquets. I am going to listen to and preach from guys who have had to use them to save someones ass. And learn from their experience, from having tested many of the copies or fakes out there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'll ask you the same as everyone else who's dodging the question and just resorting to childish name calling. Have you had the 2 side by side and compared them, yes or no?
View Quote
What is the Recon NSN so I can order one?

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm on other message boards with real guys who been down range. And with a ton of experience with tourniquets and medical knowledge. They all say to stick with North American Rescue Tourniquets. I am going to listen to preach from guys who have had to use them to save someones ass. And learn from their experience, from having tested many of the copies or fakes out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll call you
and raise

I'm on other message boards with real guys who been down range. And with a ton of experience with tourniquets and medical knowledge. They all say to stick with North American Rescue Tourniquets. I am going to listen to preach from guys who have had to use them to save someones ass. And learn from their experience, from having tested many of the copies or fakes out there.
So only people on that board have medical knowledge or experience and it's inconceivable that someone else might have knowledge or recommend a product that works just as good yet help save people money. Gotcha.

Thank you and them for your service BTW.
I mean that sincerely.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have not.  Nor do I need them in my hand.

They are either CoTCCC recommended, or they are not.  Are they CoTCCC recommended, yes or no?  Have they been vetted by any other qualified third party?  You?  Who are you?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're linked on the previous page a couple of times. BTW I have no affiliation with them, just trying to tell people that there other cheaper options for a quality product. Being able to buy more means you can have them in more places and are more likely to have 1 conveniently located. I have the Recon medicals and I would trust my life to them. I too was skeptical when I ordered my first one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

TK4L is the only non-windlass TK I’ll use or recommend to students.  It actually works when applied correctly, and it can be done with one hand.

Carry a CAT or a SOF-T anytime you can.  Carry a TK4L when you can’t
View Quote
Same here

TK4L for CCW. CAT for anything else
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They are either CoTCCC recommended, or they are not.  Are they CoTCCC recommended, yes or no?  Have they been vetted by any other qualified third party?  You?  Who are you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are not (but I think somewhere I read that they are trying to get it) to my knowledge CoTCCC recommended.

Me? I'm just a nobody running my mouth on the internet but at least I've had both of them in my hands and compared them before I jumped all over anyone basically saying "anything other than XYZ is shit".
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So only people on that board have medical knowledge or experience and it's inconceivable that someone else might have knowledge or recommend a product that works just as good yet help save people money. Gotcha.

Thank you and them for your service BTW.
I mean that sincerely.
View Quote
Hey man...your money, your life. I can tell you from personal experience and with research what tourniquets work.

Men have died because they didn’t have the correct equipment or poor training. This isn’t generic cereal from the grocery store. It’s not a game. CATs are proven. Recon is not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Again, they're not cheap knock offs, nor am I stingy or ignorant. I'll ask you the same, have you had them both hand in hand and compared them side by side, yes or no?
View Quote
Yes.

It's a cheap knockoff.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
550 cord and M16 or M4 cleaning kit rod
View Quote
That's going to cut into the skin. Big no-no.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They're linked on the previous page a couple of times. BTW I have no affiliation with them, just trying to tell people that there other cheaper options for a quality product. Being able to buy more means you can have them in more places and are more likely to have 1 conveniently located. I have the Recon medicals and I would trust my life to them. I too was skeptical when I ordered my first one.
View Quote
He asked for the NSN, not a hyperlink.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure he knew the answer to the question he was asking.....
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm sure he knew the answer to the question he was asking.....
View Quote
And I'm sure you know why it doesn't have a NSN...

I hope the few dollars you saved went to something useful.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And I'm sure you know why it doesn't have a NSN...

I hope the few dollars you saved went to something useful.
View Quote
The Beretta M9 and digital death ACUs also have an NSN. An NSN is not automatically an indicator of quality. Neither, obviously, is the lack of an NSN.

PS- I don't carry tourniquets or chest seals for use on any of you, I carry them for use on me and mine. I got CATS for free, but if you need one I hope you have your own, cause your not getting mine. Maybe you should worry less about what others use, and focus on what you will be using on you and yours.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A very trusted friend of mine has over 200 training applications with one and has yet to break it,  and not for lack of trying...

I'm very happy with them and I have a bag(s) with tons of real CATs SOFT-W, etc....
View Quote
And several friends of mine that own casualty training courses identify them as garbage and that they break in their classes and courses frequently.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes they are cheap knock offs.  If Recon is #1 at anything, "They are the leading CAT knock off company going".  Stop trying to portray them as 'just as good'.  You show us independent studies that show their data, data that show them as being just as good.  Prove it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And several friends of mine that own casualty training courses identify them as garbage and that they break in their classes and courses frequently.  
View Quote
Identify the "friends" and training courses they run, where and when the Recon T has been evaluated and found lacking, so that the information can been reviewed and verified. Otherwise, your just tossing out a baseless appeal to authority, which is absolutely meaningless. You show us.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Beretta M9 and digital death ACUs also have an NSN. An NSN is not automatically an indicator of quality. Neither, obviously, is the lack of an NSN.

PS- I don't carry tourniquets or chest seals for use on any of you, I carry them for use on me and mine. I got CATS for free, but if you need one I hope you have your own, cause your not getting mine. Maybe you should worry less about what others use, and focus on what you will be using on you and yours.
View Quote
I don't worry much about what others use on themselves. I worry about what information others spread around.

I'm not concerned about my kit. I'm not a stingy bastard like some people here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Well I put in my .02 if you want to save 10-15 bucks on a tourniquet. I am not going to stop you.

And I am not a expert.... I am just relaying information from real life, vetted medical professionals, have told to me and others. People who have had experience with the knock-offs. They don't stand to earn a single fucking penny from giving advice on picking North American Rescue over a Knock-off. They say they only trust North American Rescue CATs.

I just know, if I go to the range and my GF or someone I love dies from a ricochet or something. I won't have to live with eternal guilt if they pass away, because I didn't use the best knowledge I had at the time. From trying to save a few bucks. I will know I did the best I could. I don't think it's hyperbolic to say such things. Tourniquets are serious business, I'm not joking when I say that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought two of the recon TQs.  One was for testing/training.  No, I haven’t used one on a bleeder and hope I never do.  These sure look legit.

First test was putting it on my upper thigh with medium tension on the aluminum windlass.  Went on easily and seemed like it would get plenty tight.  Same on an upper arm, one handed.   Pretty easy to deploy.

I wasn’t really going to crank on it on my limb, so next test was on a log. A piece of firewood.   Cranked it brutally tight, probably more than you would ever need.  Three times.  No issues with the windlass bending or breaking.

I don’t see how any other brand could be any more effective.  It’s a TQ, it cranks tight with minimal training.   I now have six of them plus the trainer.   I’m sure the CAT is a good one too, just never tried one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They are not (but I think somewhere I read that they are trying to get it) to my knowledge CoTCCC recommended.

Me? I'm just a nobody running my mouth on the internet but at least I've had both of them in my hands and compared them before I jumped all over anyone basically saying "anything other than XYZ is shit".
View Quote
No, you are a guy recommending a lifesaving tool to people, a tool that is not recommended by committee whose soul goal is to make sure people have good lifesaving equipment.  But its OK, because they are "trying to get it", and you've had them both in your hand.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Who cares...just have something that works.  Have it on your person at all times.  Know how to use it correctly...and use it.

The CAT isn't perfect.  The RATS isn't perfect.  Someone who knows enough to carry one should be able to apply both with equal effectiveness just like they should be able to run both a Glock and a Sig at basic gunfight speed.

Frankly...there is no magic TQ.  They all have areas where they are better/worse.  I don't like CATs because I've seen them fail hard in training when saturated with blood/mud/dirt and with guys trying to line up with Velcro in the dark and not getting sufficient contact.  I've seen documented failures from Iraq where a patient died because they broke two CATs trying to occlude the blood flow on a large limb and couldn't get it to stop...this should be fixed with the new gen windlass but why are we on gen 5/6 or so?

Because none are perfect.

Having tested most of them and been issued most of them, my preference is a SOFTW for adults and a SWATT (ZOMG the horror of it) for pediatric TQ use.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You should thoroughly check and test every tourniquet you have as soon as you buy it. I have checked every one I own (all the recon Medical ones linked) and placed every one on my arm and made sure it worked before I set them up for single hand use and storage.

They have an aluminum windlass, Kevlar stitching and are labeled with a lot number and mfg date.
View Quote
This.  I don't care what somebody buys.  Test it and make sure it works.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Identify the "friends" and training courses they run, where and when the Recon T has been evaluated and found lacking, so that the information can been reviewed and verified. Otherwise, your just tossing out a baseless appeal to authority, which is absolutely meaningless. You show us.
View Quote
No.  I dont find you important enough to tell you whom my friends that own and operate med courses.  Further, they dont want their names, in any way, associated with Recon Medical.  They're funny that way!  I know, I know.  Not good enough for you.  But you dont matter.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Who cares...just have something that works.  Have it on your person at all times.  Know how to use it correctly...and use it.

The CAT isn't perfect.  The RATS isn't perfect.  Someone who knows enough to carry one should be able to apply both with equal effectiveness just like they should be able to run both a Glock and a Sig at basic gunfight speed.

Frankly...there is no magic TQ.  They all have areas where they are better/worse.  I don't like CATs because I've seen them fail hard in training when saturated with blood/mud/dirt and with guys trying to line up with Velcro in the dark and not getting sufficient contact.  I've seen documented failures from Iraq where a patient died because they broke two CATs trying to occlude the blood flow on a large limb and couldn't get it to stop...this should be fixed with the new gen windlass but why are we on gen 5/6 or so?

Because none are perfect.

Having tested most of them and been issued most of them, my preference is a SOFTW for adults and a SWATT (ZOMG the horror of it) for pediatric TQ use.
View Quote
Serious question about this part: was this with the blue/training TQs, or ones that had some miles on them? The only CAT I've ever broken was in training with a blue one that had seen God knows how many cycles, same with the ones with non-sticky/busted velcro.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No.  I dont find you important enough to tell you whom my friends that own and operate med courses.  Further, they dont want their names, in any way, associated with Recon Medical.  They're funny that way!  I know, I know.  Not good enough for you.  But you dont matter.
View Quote
Awww, the internet commando says I don't matter. Boo hoo.  In other words, you threw out a baseless appeal to authority, got called on it, and are backpeddaling because you know those "friends" are gonna say "failsafe who?". "We tested what, when?".  Game, set, match.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Serious question about this part: was this with the blue/training TQs, or ones that had some miles on them? The only CAT I've ever broken was in training with a blue one that had seen God knows how many cycles, same with the ones with non-sticky/busted velcro.
View Quote
CATS broke

Just spitballing on this one, but I would say that the polymer windlass sustaining constant exposure to solar energy combined with rough handling/impact from being stored on the outside of the plate carrier contributed to the windlass failures experienced here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with it if you check who is selling it.

Lots of knockoffs, but easy to spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has it been tested CoTCCC?

I seriously question anyone buying TQs off of Amazon
Nothing wrong with it if you check who is selling it.

Lots of knockoffs, but easy to spot.
How does one tell, 3 of my cats are from amazon?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We played with a RATS TQ at work (I work in the Emergency Department of a trauma center) and I ran it by our trauma surgeon, who was the Director of Clinical Operations for the Army, Navy, and Air Force in Iraq and is the man that wrote he order that all troops in Iraq carry a CAT TQ.

My conclusions are that the RATS will work if applied correctly.  We confirmed this with a pulse doppler.  However the CAT is more "idiot proof"  It is hard to fuck up putting a CAT on, but you can do so with a RATS.  The two biggest pros of the RATS in my opinion is that it causes less pain when applied, meaning PT's are less likely to fight the TQ or try to remove it.  And the compact size, meaning while I have multiple CAT TQ's in my various trauma kits, I keep a RATS in my pocket.
View Quote
That's an interesting pro you list.  For me it is a major con.  In training I have had the RATs applied (monitored with a pulse machine) and it hurts like hell compared to a windlass wide strap tourniquet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
The M9 has a mrbs 22k, in randomly selected pistol testing.....
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
CATS broke

Just spitballing on this one, but I would say that the polymer windlass sustaining constant exposure to solar energy combined with rough handling/impact from being stored on the outside of the plate carrier contributed to the windlass failures experienced here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CATS broke

That has fuck all to do with the question I asked but thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#48]
ZRO Delta HALO Tourniquet - SHOT Show 2019

I am working with HALO and the new generation design will be out soon.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That has fuck all to do with the question I asked but thanks anyway.
View Quote
You asked about broken CATS. I brought you a Military researched and documented study with examples of CATS failures in military use. I know its hard to accept that what you believe to be %100 fool proof and unbreakable just isn't true, but there it is. Carry two.  Your welcome.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#50]
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27045491

Indeed, one of the new models, the RATS, was inferior to the C-A-T in terms of speed of application and simulated loss of blood.

Preliminary Comparison of New and Established Tactical Tourniquets in a Manikin Hemorrhage Model. Gibson R, Housler GJ, Rush SC, Aden JK 3rd, Kragh JF Jr, Dubick MA.

BACKGROUND:
Emergency tourniquet use has been associated with hemorrhage control and improved survival during the wars since 2001. The purpose of the present study is to compare the differential performance of two new tactical tourniquets with the standard-issue tourniquet to provide preliminary evidence to guide decisions on device development.

METHODS:
A laboratory experiment was designed to test the effectiveness of tourniquets on a manikin thigh. Three models of tourniquets were assessed. The Rapid Application Tourniquet System (RATS) and the Tactical Mechanical Tourniquet (TMT) were compared with the standard-issue Combat Application Tourniquet(®) (C-A-T). Two users conducted 30 tests each.

RESULTS:
Percentages for effectiveness (hemorrhage control, yes/no) and distal pulse cessation did not differ significantly by model. When compared with the RATS, the C-A-T performed better (? < .001) for time to hemorrhage control and fluid loss. The C-A-T and TMT had comparable responses for most measures, but the C-A-T applied more pressure (? = .04) than did the TMT for hemorrhage control.

CONCLUSION:
All three tactical tourniquets showed substantial capacity for hemorrhage control. However, the two new tourniquet models (RATS and TMT) did not offer any improvement over the C-A-T, which is currently issued to military services. Indeed, one of the new models, the RATS, was inferior to the C-A-T in terms of speed of application and simulated loss of blood. Opportunities were detected for refinements in design of the two new tourniquets that may offer future improvements in their performance.
View Quote
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top