Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please elaborate for the benefit of those (like myself) who deal with neither.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon is about to destroy Oracle.
Please elaborate for the benefit of those (like myself) who deal with neither.
Look at amazon’s current database offerings.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just delivered an entire control program for an irrigation company (Completed in 14 days), written in Micropython, running on an arduino.

So yeah, theres that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn Python.

It’s interpreted so it’s easy and fast to test code, it has all the features of a modern language, lots of libraries for everything you could want to do.

You can even do embedded applications with it.
You will never run Python on something like an Arduino Uno however, and microcontrollers far outnumber microprocessors in the wild.
I just delivered an entire control program for an irrigation company (Completed in 14 days), written in Micropython, running on an arduino.

So yeah, theres that.
Which model of Arduino though?  There's no way you're running any variant of Python on an Arduino Uno with 32K of flash, 1K of EEPROM, and 2K of RAM.  That Arduino Uno does run C and C++ however.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So yeah, theres that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn Python.

It’s interpreted so it’s easy and fast to test code, it has all the features of a modern language, lots of libraries for everything you could want to do.

You will never run Python on something like an Arduino Uno however, and microcontrollers far outnumber microprocessors in the wild.

So yeah, theres that.
Why in the world would anyone deliver production code on an arduino.

Don’t bother answering, the question is rhetorical.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which model of Arduino though?  There's no way you're running any variant of Python on an Arduino Uno with 32K of flash, 1K of EEPROM, and 2K of RAM.  That Arduino Uno does run C and C++ however.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn Python.

So yeah, theres that.
The better statement is that there’s no reason anyone should. An arduino is a teaching tool, not a production device.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Interestingly enough I just saw that VS 2019 is addressing this specifically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would argue that anyone who wants to be a well rounded expert in the field ought to learn assembly.  You don't have to know assembly to be an effective engineer, but understanding it makes a lot of design decisions that have been made make sense and allows one to think about problems in ways that are more efficient.  For the most part, one won't beat the compiler anymore -- there is too much to track and work with.  But knowing what's going on at a lower level informs design decisions in some cases and can really make the difference between a decent developer and an expert.  I know it's helped me immeasurably.  
I agree.  To make a CPU really scream, you need to utilize SIMD (e.g., NEON or AVX2) instructions.  That means writing assembly language, or carefully utilizing SIMD intrinsics in C.  You just aren't going to get that level of performance from a Java, C#, or Python program.
Addressing what specifically?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn Python.

So yeah, theres that.

I introduce people to software with their first project being on Arduino. Then, after day one, I tell them to never use it again. Making hardware with an Arduino is like gunsmithing with a dremel.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The better statement is that there’s no reason anyone should. An arduino is a teaching tool, not a production device.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn Python.

So yeah, theres that.
An Arduino, being open-source hardware, can be viewed as a development board for something that will become a production device.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would argue that anyone who wants to be a well rounded expert in the field ought to learn assembly.  You don't have to know assembly to be an effective engineer, but understanding it makes a lot of design decisions that have been made make sense and allows one to think about problems in ways that are more efficient.  For the most part, one won't beat the compiler anymore -- there is too much to track and work with.  But knowing what's going on at a lower level informs design decisions in some cases and can really make the difference between a decent developer and an expert.  I know it's helped me immeasurably.  
I agree.  To make a CPU really scream, you need to utilize SIMD (e.g., NEON or AVX2) instructions.  That means writing assembly language, or carefully utilizing SIMD intrinsics in C.  You just aren't going to get that level of performance from a Java, C#, or Python program.
Better use of Simd instructions.

There was a post on HN about it this morning.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

An Arduino, being open-source hardware, can be viewed as a development board for something that will become a production device.
View Quote
Sure, if you're not running the shitty Arduino loader and builds on it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C24zP6KUAAAi1qu.jpg

I introduce people to software with their first project being on Arduino. Then, after day one, I tell them to never use it again. Making hardware with an Arduino is like gunsmithing with a dremel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn Python.

So yeah, theres that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C24zP6KUAAAi1qu.jpg

Don’t get me wrong, I like arduino as a concept just like I like the RPI as a concept. They’re great for introductory learning about concepts -  but I would never deliver a system with either one in it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL. I sort of regret making the thread. Being pulled in a dozen different directions. I'm no closer to deciding than when I made this thread. Heck, I'm more confused now than prior to it.
View Quote
That's why I recommended Haskell. Your brain is untainted by imperative programming. It's also a niche you could break into more easily (I think).

With your situation, making yourself valuable to a niche is more productive than throwing yourself to the sea of Java, Python, C++ or whatever is most popular. Even though those languages are great to learn at some point.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's why I recommended Haskell. Your brain is untainted by imperative programming. It's also a niche you could break into more easily (I think).

With your situation, making yourself valuable to a niche is more productive than throwing yourself to the sea of Java, Python, C++ or whatever is most popular. Even though those languages are great to learn at some point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. I sort of regret making the thread. Being pulled in a dozen different directions. I'm no closer to deciding than when I made this thread. Heck, I'm more confused now than prior to it.

You have a point, but there are probably a lot more jobs for C++ programmers, especially in defense.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don’t get me wrong, I like arduino as a concept just like I like the RPI as a concept. They’re great for introductory learning about concepts -  but I would never deliver a system with either one in it.
View Quote
The Raspberry Pi makes an excellent dedicated host and a low-cost solution for connectivity for other devices. I was surprised to see how common they are repackaged in trade shows as host devices for custom hardware.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Raspberry Pi makes an excellent dedicated host and a low-cost solution for connectivity for other devices. I was surprised to see how common they are repackaged in trade shows as host devices for custom hardware.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it doesn’t.

It’s a toy.

It may be commonly used for things it shouldn’t be, but that doesn’t change what it is.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn Python.

So yeah, theres that.
And yet the money spends.  Amazing, isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No, it doesn’t.

It’s a toy.

It may be commonly used for things it shouldn’t be, but that doesn’t change what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it doesn’t.

It’s a toy.

LOL, it's like you have absolutely *zero* clue about current trends.  It is almost laughable.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are a lot of experts here.  Unfortunately, it's nearly everyone.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
As long as you're willing to deal with the very real possibility the SD card will crap out on you at the worst possible moment without any warning.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That much is painfully obvious.  I hate these religious wars with a passion.  They interfere with my coding time  
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, it doesn’t.

It’s a toy.

View Quote
It supports 5G WiFi, Ethernet, 250 megabit serial communication, costs less than $35 and there have been more complete modules made than most common microcontrollers which means that when you're only making a few hundred of a device, you don't have to worry about your supply chain becoming obsolete. I've been down the road of spending days on-end cranking out a custom bootloader for a 32-bit microcontroller so I could do over-the-air software updates, only to have the manufacturer change the compiler stack two years later to where it would no longer build and I had to go back in and rewrite significant portions of it.

The argument against Arduino is that you're adding a lot of hardware and software layers that cripple the end user. AVR-GCC is trivial to teach and learn. The Raspberry Pi, on the other hand, gives you a full, dedicated PC that can be a host. At what point does the device become industrial capable and no longer a toy?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOL, it's like you have absolutely *zero* clue about current trends.  It is almost laughable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it doesn’t.

It’s a toy.

I know current trends very well. Many of them are ridiculous fads.

And if you’re choosing RPI to deliver a real project on, you’re committing malpractice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At what point does the device become industrial capable and no longer a toy?
View Quote
In the real world of programming outside of the DOD programming environment?  As soon as the check clears.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And if you’re choosing RPI to deliver a real project on, you’re committing malpractice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it doesn’t.

It’s a toy.

LOL, of course.   You are simply clueless.  I would love to continue, but there is nothing at all to gain from discussing it with you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As long as you're willing to deal with the very real possibility the SD card will crap out on you at the worst possible moment without any warning.
View Quote
That is the weak spot. There's the "compute" module. We actually use pairs of Pis for redundancy with a heartbeat and watchdog between them. If the slave detects the master is offline, it steals the bus, takes over and phones home. We generally use ARM-based systems to do the real-time stuff. The Pi's just act as the host and communication endpoints. Way easier to set up a web server using Python's SimpleHttpServer and use WiringPi to communicate to the device than having to implement a USB or Ethernet stack and drivers. SD Card failures are very rare if you use quality cards. You can also have them boot from USB. I really wish they'd put a flash chip on the device that enabled you to load a loader that sets up a RAM disk to get rid of that sdcard weak spot.

A colleague has deployed thousands of Raspberry Pis to restaurants to run television-based menu systems. The managers will often just turn off the power strips to everything all at once against corporate's advice. SD card failures are still exceptionally rare with brand name consumer-grade cards and I would wager those failure rates to be lower than what was common in hard drives 20 years ago and way better than floppy disks ever were.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#25]
There's some ridiculous school out in San Fransisco (I know, I know) that is apparently ridiculously awesome. I guess it's real intense but they have a 100% placement rate and they make ass tons of cash. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: found it. It's 12 weeks, and they've expanded.

San Francisco, New York City, Los Angeles, Austin, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, or Denver.

https://www.hackreactor.com
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am a developer and have been for 15 years. I am also an academic and understand pretty well why everything works the way it does. I have used many languages and frameworks, but C# and Java are by far the most dominant. Others have uses, but in four separate positions I have never seen Python used in a production app. Many commercial apps use it and there are obviously jobs focused on it, but it just isn't common here.

I would caution against thinking this is easy money. Absent an understanding of the technology and a track record spanning lots of different areas, you'll probably be more or less a permanent junior developer.
View Quote
+1

If you want a job, .NET and Java are probably the best choices.  To me, C# is a joy to write.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
One semester of Pascal checking in

The very next semester they switched to teaching C.  Bastages!
View Quote
We had Pascal for the first two programming classes, then switched to C for systems programming, Lisp for AI, and C++ for object oriented programming, they switched to Java not long after I graduated.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There's some ridiculous school out in San Fransisco (I know, I know) that is apparently ridiculously awesome. I guess it's real intense but they have a 100% placement rate and they make ass tons of cash. Let me see if I can find it.

San Francisco, New York City, Los Angeles, Austin, Seattle, Phoenix, Boulder, or Denver.

View Quote
Call me crazy..... but I'm always real skeptical about "Magic Pill" schools that say they'll lead you to the land of milk and honey.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
LOL, of course.   You are simply clueless.  I would love to continue, but there is nothing at all to gain from discussing it with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it doesn’t.

It’s a toy.

I find it a bit scary to think there are professionals in our field who would accuse another of malpractice for using something that's commonly available in industry.

Take this common scenario: you have an industrial machine controller. The mainboard takes a shit. You call the manufacturer. "Oh, yeah, we no longer have any more of those on the shelf. Apparently there's an occasional issue where the CPU unsolders itself. We do have an upgrade module. It'll be $14,286.22 and there's a six month lead time. We'll let you know when we have one and send a technician out to install it."
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Call me crazy..... but I'm always real skeptical about "Magic Pill" schools that say they'll lead you to the land of milk and honey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my client's kids went there, got a job right after. It's apparently legit.

Now are there other, equally intensive and rewarding schools? No clue. I'm not into programming.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#31]
my Pascal skills are not needed any more...
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
We've hired some people from these type of schools and I've always come away less than impressed.  They seem knowledgeable enough, but only in the language/framework FOTM.  You get beyond that, and their abilities tank.  That's just my experience, not saying that there aren't people that benefit from these types of schools.

Learn a base language (C, C#, Java) and once you get comfortable, you'll start to realize most language are pretty much the same, just with different syntax.  As someone else noted earlier in the thread, get familiar with SQL as well.  Get familiar with working with your OS of choice.  It really helps with debugging and deployment issues you WILL run into.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
This
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's a lot of good advice in this thread but I go back to what I originally said.

If if you are starting from zero and what to start then get an iPad and download Swift playgrounds.

It was developed to teach teach kids to code and is very good.
It shows you visually what's going on and the code to make it happen.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pick up a book and learn something more current.  Programming tools and knowledge have never been more accessible than they are right now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Galvanize bought HackReactor who bought MakerSquare. The curriculum is the one that MakerSquare created and it works because they only let smart, driven people into the courses. You have to have a minimal level of knowledge just to be accepted, and they will cut you from the class if you fall behind.

If you make it through their course, you will get a job. No magic pill, just clever and self-motivated people who have seized an avenue of advancement.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#38]
More.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Also, don't be afraid to go to Amazon and search for books on the subject. Reading a book about programming is an excellent way to learn. Even today, when I need to pick up a new language or skill, I buy a paperback book on the subject, go lay down in bed and I read it. There's something about reading and comprehension from a book that activates imagination and abstract thought that helps to develop a true understanding. Authors get picked up by publishers to write books that they expect to sell and turn a profit on so the publishers do the first round of elimination that you don't get on the Internet. Nearly every new technology and language that I've learned, from the first one, started with reading a few chapters of a book before starting to write code. The only exceptions were those that were so close to what I already knew that were intuitive to me.

The other important thing to do is to write programs. You need to have something that interests you that you want to build. I feel a bit for people getting started today. On the one hand, there's a wealth of information that's readily available; on the other, there's a wealth of bullshit out there too, spouted off by people trying to build their resume by having their esoteric bullshit technology picked up by some big company.

This guy's a great writer. Don't worry about the book being for a product that's over 10 years old. You'll still be able to follow it without issue and most of what's in it still applies to the newest versions (plus it's only $12 used): https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Microsoft-Server-2008-Programming/dp/0470257024
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I gotta agree with a555 - come up with a project that jazzes you, and apply the programming language that you chose to it.

Nothing better for learning than working on your own project.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's not necessarily true. We still have an app used by many of our clients written in Delphi. I miss Delphi.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That is the weak spot. There's the "compute" module. We actually use pairs of Pis for redundancy with a heartbeat and watchdog between them. If the slave detects the master is offline, it steals the bus, takes over and phones home. We generally use ARM-based systems to do the real-time stuff. The Pi's just act as the host and communication endpoints. Way easier to set up a web server using Python's SimpleHttpServer and use WiringPi to communicate to the device than having to implement a USB or Ethernet stack and drivers. SD Card failures are very rare if you use quality cards. You can also have them boot from USB. I really wish they'd put a flash chip on the device that enabled you to load a loader that sets up a RAM disk to get rid of that sdcard weak spot.

A colleague has deployed thousands of Raspberry Pis to restaurants to run television-based menu systems. The managers will often just turn off the power strips to everything all at once against corporate's advice. SD card failures are still exceptionally rare with brand name consumer-grade cards and I would wager those failure rates to be lower than what was common in hard drives 20 years ago and way better than floppy disks ever were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dear god.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lambda school is another one that’s well regarded.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I find it a bit scary to think there are professionals in our field who would accuse another of malpractice for using something that's commonly available in industry.

Take this common scenario: you have an industrial machine controller. The mainboard takes a shit. You call the manufacturer. "Oh, yeah, we no longer have any more of those on the shelf. Apparently there's an occasional issue where the CPU unsolders itself. We do have an upgrade module. It'll be $14,286.22 and there's a six month lead time. We'll let you know when we have one and send a technician out to install it."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it doesn’t.

It’s a toy.

There are a lot of things better than a 35 dollar toy to use to replace it if one is so inclined.

People have gotten this idea the rpi is some kind of panacea device - it’s still a toy. It has its niche, but it’s not designed for real work.

BTW, the one I just bought:  Nvidia Jetson Nano.  I don't know where this will fall on the usability scale, but I suspect it's significantly better quality than the RPI.  There are two models, one with SD and one with onboard eMMC which should be better, and there's an actual industrial part as well.

I have a bunch of RPI devices as well, they're underpowered, unreliable, ok for teaching and introducing people to the concepts of embedded devices but not really useful for much beyond that imo.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's not necessarily true. We still have an app used by many of our clients written in Delphi. I miss Delphi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m told that Pascal’s syntax is very similar to ADA, which is still around and going to be for a long time. Being able to rewrite Ada into C++ is a huge deal and worth a ton of money right now as the DOD mandate to use Ada has been rescinded and C++ has become the language of choice to replace it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Btw OP if you really want to learn hit me up by PM and I can send you a couple of books. I’ve got books on every language going back almost 40 years and multiples of quite a few of them.  I have at least three college textbooks on C++ and two on data structures with C++, along with some on other languages as well.  I've also got a book on borland turbo pascal 5.0 if that interests you, that was my textbook in 1989 in CS201.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
OP,
Seriously, you can do Harvard's Intro to Comp Sci online for FREE. Try it and see if this is something that interests you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
COBOL!  Millions Billions of lines of legacy code in use, in the business world, that need to be maintained.
View Quote
i always wonder bout that.

i actuall love cobol. at one time i used it because you could do all kinds of reports, batch processing and so forth, there are few things like 'move corr ' a to b.

its a strange looking language though compared to other languages. i havent seen it used in any company ive been around since the early 90s.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

i actuall love cobol. at one time i used it because you could do all kinds of reports, batch processing and so forth, there are few things like 'move corr ' a to b.

its a strange looking language though compared to other languages. i havent seen it used in any company ive been around since the early 90s.
View Quote
I coded that about thirty years ago.  I wonder how much is still out there?   I absolutely don’t miss that verbose pile of crap.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
COBOL!  Millions Billions of lines of legacy code in use, in the business world, that need to be maintained.

I cut my teeth on APL, lets talk strange looking language.  
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top