Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chopsaw for best accuracy. I use one for framing, Its a little slower but much better. After 30 years, I don't care about speed, I want accurate, clean cuts. Direct drives depend on the cheap bearing in the motor to keep the blade from wobbling. They often fail early causing a wobbly blade which in turn makes it hard to cut straight. If weights a concern, get a Skil 77magnesium.
View Quote
How do you cut rafters with it ? Plywood ? You are framing a house, ya know.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Care to expound on that NO? Reasons?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Makita This one.
NO
Care to expound on that NO? Reasons?
Still a great saw but the baseplate on this one, being magnesium will break apart when it tumbles off the roof. On the original

design it was a softer pliable metal that would bend enabling you to bend it back into shape.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:32:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Mag 77
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you already have Makita 18v stuff, this is the saw you want. Corded stuff is like using a flip phone nowadays. Nobody is innovating flip phones and the same goes for corded saws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4nsLuGo77E
View Quote
Great except the makita batteries have been subpar in my extensive use. Milwaukee's and Dewalts battery packs have been flawless so far for me. My 18v makita set sits unused in the shop now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Makita or bosch
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:49:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Only if you think America consists of the West coast, and more specifically California.  Where you are, the 77 is king.  In Virginia, one sees ten Skil or Makita sidewinders for every 77.  And that’s being generous; I don’t recall ever seeing one on a work site.

The post-War, GI Bill fueled West coast building boom was insane.  Three man crews framing 1500 SF tract homes in one long day, day in and day out.  77s with the guards removed and custom collets turning 12” blades gang cutting studs and rafters, hand nailing with gas and wax.

If you aren’t familiar Larry Haun, google for him.  Fascinating guy, fascinating time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
So I was reading this thread last night, and saw this today,
Am I going to be happy with this?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are framing maybe. If you are doing any kind of finish work, probably not. Personally I can’t stand a worm drive. I don’t know anyone that uses one for anything other than framing and cutting 4x4s.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Skill Mag 77.

Everything else is meh.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The op is asking for a saw that is not a worm drive. Everyone in GD gives him worm drive recommendations.

The Makita sidewinder posted above is a great saw op, for decorative post cuts on a standing post I'd just use my 20 volt cordless Dewalt.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've still got the same Pirannah blades I bought like ten years ago. Two, still unused. What's the newest, bestest these days for general combo work?
View Quote
I Diablo all the things.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Makita.
None better.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Makita 5007xx has been my go to saw for decades. Never thought I'd say this but stay away from Milwaukee. Angle lock sucks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Carpenter here  for 39 years
My  two favorite electric saws are:
Skillsaw model 77 worm drive,  owned the same one for 39 years, built like a Tank
People bitch about the weight, ask your husband to cut your lumber for you, The weight works for you...
I can build anything with wormdrive and speed square...

Also Skillsaw 5 1/2" trim saw  over 39 years I'm probably on my 6th one

As for cordless, anything Milwaukee Fuel would be my first  choice
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Skill Mag 77.

Everything else is meh.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

with a pinned up blade guard.
View Quote
Lol no way , I have seen one guy do it by just cutting a little finger wedge and wedging the guard to the housing (highly unrecommended )
anyone I've seen get tagged by a skill saw was either with wet lumber and the guard didn't come down when they finished there cut because of all the wet saw dust and they where rushing
another guy was at full stretch cutting a sheet of plywood and took his hand off of the saw before it had stopped running and it jumped back and cut a tendon in his hand , guy was one of the
better carpenters that I've seen , he was highly embarrassed over the incident and ended up not being taken back on a very large project with lots of OT , so it can happen if your careless .
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Skillsaw model 77 worm drive,  owned the same one for 39 years, built like a Tank
People bitch about the weight, ask your husband to cut your lumber for you, The weight works for you...

View Quote
After limping the old 18v DeWalt along for way past their time, wewent over to the Milwaukee Fuel for cordless as well. Very happy with them. I bet we spent $12,000 making the switch outfitting trucks and crews. I got a free Milwaukee jacket. I gave it to one of the crew leads.

BTW, the Milwaukee cordless chopsaw and tablesaw, are just tits. I highly recommend trying them out if you are looking for something like these.

PPS... I counted 14 Skil 77s we have on jobs. That doesn't count the shop saws or the bone yard shelves. The guys recommending Black and Decker sidewinders.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Only if you think America consists of the West coast, and more specifically California.  Where you are, the 77 is king.  In Virginia, one sees ten Skil or Makita sidewinders for every 77.  And that’s being generous; I don’t recall ever seeing one on a work site.

The post-War, GI Bill fueled West coast building boom was insane.  Three man crews framing 1500 SF tract homes in one long day, day in and day out.  77s with the guards removed and custom collets turning 12” blades gang cutting studs and rafters, hand nailing with gas and wax.

If you aren’t familiar Larry Haun, google for him.  Fascinating guy, fascinating time.
View Quote
You are right. I have no idea what they use in Virginia. I'm only currently licensed in 9 Western and southern states. Closest I've been to y'all, is a contract we won in SC many years ago. But I no longer work there, and don't travel near as much as I used to need to.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27868/68D9547C-42D4-4581-98D3-336C1A747A3D_jpeg-882540.JPG
View Quote
Skil for a bill? I'd bought all they had. But yah, I think you'll like it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Skil for a bill? I'd bought all they had. But yah, I think you'll like it.
View Quote
I always cruise the markdown shelf, half of  my stuff is off there,
I just happened to walk by today while I was grabbing a jig and some new router bits and it was sitting there

It should be a step up from my “I need a fucking saw right now” ryobi and my ancient porter cable 507, In its defense it’s been going strong for god knows how long, but the blade wobbles/wonders.

I’m tired of getting bogged halfway through a sheet of 3/4 ply or melamine shelf stock
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Bosch worm drive, then Skil worm drive, then the rest. Who the fuck frames with a sidewinder?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Based on my experience of using 10 or so saws in as many years, I would say this is the best saw you can buy new.  I haven’t used any of the hyper expensive European circ saws, so maybe festool has something better.  The Makita 5007 is in a 3 way tie for second with ridgid and Bosch offerings.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Skill Mag 77.

Everything else is meh.
View Quote
This served me well for many years of +/- 2 degrees and took tons of abuse when I was framing.
I don’t see why it can’t serve you now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All we use at work are 8 1/4 blade worm drive skill saws I believe it's the biggest one they make ,heavy as fuck  I wouldn't want to be climbing around a roof with one
I always liked the porter cable mini boss because it had the blade on the same side that I'm used to but the problem with that is you can only put a 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 inch blade on those
the one area technology hasn't caught up to is in the skill saw world apart from cordless stuff , you would think someone would have come up with a much lighter big saw by now .
And a hangover. ??
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27868/68D9547C-42D4-4581-98D3-336C1A747A3D_jpeg-882540.JPG
View Quote
If you have the skill to use it, you will be happy. But not if you need it to work 24/7/365.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Listen to this man.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This served me well for many years of +/- 2 degrees and took tons of abuse when I was framing.
I don’t see why it can’t serve you now.
View Quote
If you look at the "panel saws" at home depot and lowes, they have a Skill 77 sans handle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your not getting another unless you can find a used one. I wanted one bad, but the best I can tell they were discontinued somewhere around the latter part of '15 as that's when it looks like Amazon quit carrying them. There going for $150 or better total for used on Ebay.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Great for drop cutting framing material or timber, but still heavy for a general pupose saw in my opinion and I have one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Great for drop cutting framing material or timber, but still heavy for a general pupose saw in my opinion and I have one.
Grow stronger.

I never heard about the older generation complaining about hauling their garand, packs of '06, or heavy tools. Nowadays we have pussies complaining that some rifles are garbage because they're not as light as an AR pencil profile.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The op is asking for a saw that is not a worm drive. Everyone in GD gives him worm drive recommendations.

The Makita sidewinder posted above is a great saw op, for decorative post cuts on a standing post I'd just use my 20 volt cordless Dewalt.
View Quote
I was at HD eyeballing the Makita today. They had the base model for $100 and the fancier fenced one for $150. Will be watching for sales.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:26:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bosch worm drive, then Skil worm drive, then the rest. Who the fuck frames with a sidewinder?
View Quote
I've framed or helped frame about 12 when i sidelined as a carpenter. The last i totally framed was my home. Sidewinders used in all. Framed my house using a $49 B&D sidewinder. It survived the house build, but i let the smoke out of it working some 1" oak plank i lined the horse stalls with..
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I have this saw, I really like it. I’m just a guy who builds stuff, not a pro...but it’s a nice saw!
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I like the blade on the left Bosch
View Quote
this guy knows what's happening. bosch cs5
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've framed or helped frame about 12 when i sidelined as a carpenter. The last i totally framed was my home. Sidewinders used in all. Framed my house using a $49 B&D sidewinder. It survived the house build, but i let the smoke out of it working some 1" oak plank i lined the horse stalls with..
View Quote
That's impressive someone stuck with a sidewinder that long. How many saws did it take to build all 12?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's a great deal. Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Buy the Milwaukee or Makita Brushless Cordless.

Don't be intimidated by the fact that the Makita takes two batteries to the Milwaukee's one. The lithium is the expensive part. The total cost of the "kits" with a saw, charger, and either 2 (Milwaukee)or 4 (Makita) batteries are comparable. Check out Home Depot or CPO Tools to get ideas on how much you'll have to spend without leaving the comfort of your house.

I know corded has a lower cost upfront, but not having to manage your cord as you walk around posts and go around your deck cutting posts will be life-changing, although, after 35 years of doing it as a pro, you might have cord management almost hardwired at this point.

But seriously, cordless is life-changing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lol no way , I have seen one guy do it by just cutting a little finger wedge and wedging the guard to the housing (highly unrecommended )
anyone I've seen get tagged by a skill saw was either with wet lumber and the guard didn't come down when they finished there cut because of all the wet saw dust and they where rushing
another guy was at full stretch cutting a sheet of plywood and took his hand off of the saw before it had stopped running and it jumped back and cut a tendon in his hand , guy was one of the
better carpenters that I've seen , he was highly embarrassed over the incident and ended up not being taken back on a very large project with lots of OT , so it can happen if your careless .
View Quote
Put a CAT TQ in your pocket or on your belt, especially if you're working alone.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#39]
AvE did reviews of the Skil and Makita wormdrives and he no longer considered Skil to be the top saw based on the build of the tool, but not the actual use of the tool, so take that with a grain of salt.

I've been reading a lot of reviews for sliding miter saws and I'm curious about the folks who write in and bitch that the saw is off 0.2 degrees. Maybe it makes a difference if you're building hardwood furniture, but most folks can't get near that level of accuracy, especially with an organic product that moves with temperature and moisture.

Buy a good saw that feels right to you.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Grow stronger.

I never heard about the older generation complaining about hauling their garand, packs of '06, or heavy tools. Nowadays we have pussies complaining that some rifles are garbage because they're not as light as an AR pencil profile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Grow stronger.

We welcome pics of you taking your horse to work and fetching water from the stream. You know, because the older generation did that and cars/ plumbing is for pussies.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's impressive someone stuck with a sidewinder that long. How many saws did it take to build all 12?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used one cheap saw to build my place. When i worked at framing the saws were provided on the jobs. Most were Makitas.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Was pretty much set on a Makita, but today when i went in a local Lowe's to see what they had, Bam, there it was...Bosch CS10 and $20 off at $99. It has the bold angle/depth lettering like the $150 Makita, the foot fence is solid cast magnesium and only weighs 10.3 lbs. Looks jam up tight and and well built. I check Amazon and the price is the same.

I've used a lot of Bosch equipment at work and that stuff is tough as nails, so I'll give this a go this weekend. Also sports a three year warranty.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#43]
My brother has a Bosch, and it doesnt suck, but it's not as handy, or familiar, as the makita. You cant read the blade as well, and it doesn't work as a fan.
The makita is beautiful in that after the cut, you can use it to blow all the chips off of your stuff.
Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a 40 year old Skil 77 that is my go to saw.  Beats everything else I have tried.  I have a sidewinder that I hate because I can't see the blade when cutting with my right hand.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My brother has a Bosch, and it doesnt suck, but it's not as handy, or familiar, as the makita. You cant read the blade as well, and it doesn't work as a fan.
The makita is beautiful in that after the cut, you can use it to blow all the chips off of your stuff.
Good luck with it.
View Quote
This model is supposed to vent the dust away as you cut. I will be checking that and how well it's fence and depth setting indicators work in use on some post scraps.  If it's not up to Makita snuff, it will be back for a refund.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Was pretty much set on a Makita, but today when i went in a local Lowe's to see what they had, Bam, there it was...Bosch CS10 and $20 off at $99. It has the bold angle/depth lettering like the $150 Makita, the foot fence is solid cast magnesium and only weighs 10.3 lbs. Looks jam up tight and and well built. I check Amazon and the price is the same.

I've used a lot of Bosch equipment at work and that stuff is tough as nails, so I'll give this a go this weekend. Also sports a three year warranty.
View Quote
Are you left handed?
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Ridgid fuego. Light powerful fast. Great adjustments.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I just killed my old saw. Shop Craft like this one.

Brushes or the switch went out. I normally dont use a saw but maybe every two years. Im thinking of a $50 skill for what I do. I dont want a battery saw because its not used a lot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Skill Mag 77.

Everything else is meh.
View Quote
33 years as a carpenter here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Skill Mag 77.

Everything else is meh.
View Quote
This. Literally ALL my male relatives are home builders/contractors and have been since before i was born. That is all they use.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top