You'd rather fly Ethiopia Air than EVA, Korean Air, and ANA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Africa you say?
It’s a great Airline, would rather fly on it than most Asia, Africa, LATAM airlines.
Asian culture in the cockpit has resulted in lots of planes crashing.

FWIW, everyone of those you listed have lots of ex pats flying for them too (US, Canadian, Brits, Aussies).
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The reports are in at this point and we have two threads about it.

This plane is 4 months old. This is not an issue endemic to Ethiopia air, this is a software issue in the Boeing Super Max.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll wait for the reports. African airlines don’t have the best safety record, and 99% of their crashes are pilot error. I’d bet some cash that this ends up being the same issue.

This plane is 4 months old. This is not an issue endemic to Ethiopia air, this is a software issue in the Boeing Super Max.
this. and not for nothing but ethiopian air is not some fly by night 2 bit airline. you're talking about an airline with a pretty decent safety record (excellent safety record my African airline standards) with quite a modern fleet.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A 737 Max fleet grounding seems prudent at this point.
View Quote
It's somewhat unrelated but 14 737s were grounded this week for incredibly shoddy outsourced maintenance by a US based MRO.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/American-Airlines-Grounds-14-Planes-for-Overhead-Bin-Issue_Dallas-Fort-Worth-506859192.html?fbclid=IwAR1_dD54pFZxxjpr4tYWnWBjqFvabTbG68Pmt-aaWunfC2oosVZM2GZ2EhI
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a World Bank staffer on that flight- part of the external comms team.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The design flaw is the apparent inability (unwillingness?) of the pilot to disconnect the stab trim (using the switch that’s right next to him) when an uncommanded nose down can’t be overridden with the yoke.  Emergency procedures are in the manual for a reason.  You don’t need to diagnose computer code in the middle of flight when the plane is not doing what you tell it.
View Quote
A new plane that has had two recent fatal crashes needs to be grounded.  Are we supposed to wait until fatal crash #3, #4 or #5 to ground them?  Maybe there is a quick fix that will prevent a recurrence such as a permanent deactivation of whatever system(s) are likely culprits.

So what if you have to rely upon old fashioned flying skills.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
DM reporting;

Erratic final seconds of fatal Ethiopian Airline’s flight: Jet’s airspeed plummeted and soared before it crashed killing 157 including Eight Americans and 18 Canadians attending a UN climate summit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the flightaware info from ADS-B/Mode S or something else?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Terrible.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the flightaware info from ADS-B/Mode S or something else?
View Quote
ADS-B
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#11]
'A Boeing technical team is prepared to provide technical assistance at the request and under the direction of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board,' the company said.

The state-owned Ethiopian Airlines calls itself Africa's largest carrier and has ambitions of becoming the gateway to the continent.

The airline does have a better safety rating and a newer fleet than some neighbouring operators - a number of African airlines are banned outright from EU airspace including the flag-carrier of neighbouring Eritrea.

But in addition to 16 fatal incidents costing 102 lives in the 1960s, 70s, and 1980s; the airline has now suffered six fatal incidents in the last thirty years, including other two huge tragedies.

More
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hope your friend is ok Man...
View Quote
Just heard from him.  He good.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
'A Boeing technical team is prepared to provide technical assistance at the request and under the direction of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board,' the company said.

The state-owned Ethiopian Airlines calls itself Africa's largest carrier and has ambitions of becoming the gateway to the continent.

The airline does have a better safety rating and a newer fleet than some neighbouring operators - a number of African airlines are banned outright from EU airspace including the flag-carrier of neighbouring Eritrea.

But in addition to 16 fatal incidents costing 102 lives in the 1960s, 70s, and 1980s; the airline has now suffered six fatal incidents in the last thirty years, including other two huge tragedies.

More
View Quote
Flag carrier???

The Eritrean Airlines fleet in July 2018 consists of a single leased Boeing 737-300.

And yes.  That aircraft is banned from flying into the EU
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't want to be too simplistic about it, but "unstable vertical speed after takeoff" sounds a lot like that thing with Lion Air.
View Quote
This. Compounded by lack of adequate training.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Lion Air Crash

Lion Air Crash: ‘Black Box’ Data Reveals Pilots’ Struggle To Regain Control Of Flight | TODAY

Experts question Lion Air pilots'' actions in moments before deadly crash
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Government run airline and here's the CEO in a crater for a photo op
https://twitter.com/flyethiopian/status/1104702003924619264

Something tells me there won't be a decent investigation into this.............https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82253/D1Swji_W0AAgLG0_png-872215.JPG
View Quote
You don't trust the ntsb?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
The NTSB has no jurisdiction on this crash.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#18]
China & Cayman airlines have grounded all 737Max.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could they / would they help if asked?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I thought they went to foreign crash if Americans were on board AND if asked by foreign government for assistance?
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Could they / would they help if asked?
View Quote
I can't answer with knowledge but I assume they would if asked...as would Boeing.

This is not the place you want a turf battle.  Provide all the help requested by the agency in charge.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I thought they went to foreign crash if Americans were on board AND if asked by foreign government for assistance?
View Quote
And with an American built plane.

I was in the process of getting hired in that field when I got my job.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Pretty damn high airport...nearing 8000 feet.
View Quote
High, hot, heavy

pick two
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
High, hot, heavy

pick two
View Quote
Not likely a factor.  They were airborne about six minutes.

I have departed the Leadville airport in an RV-6A with the density altitude around 12000 feet and a strongish crosswind.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:54:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How would grounding all 787s prevented this 737 crash?
View Quote
Well, we HAVE to do SOMETHING!!!!

TC
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wonder if Southwest or American will do the same Monday.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:58:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

TWA800 never made a distress call!
View Quote
That’s because the front fell off and the rest of the plane climbed way up. I know that because I watched the cartoon drawn by those aerodynamicists at the CIA...

TC
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

High, hot, heavy

pick two
View Quote
Heh. My son and I are planning to fly in and out of Mexico City for World Cup. Right in the heart of summer
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
American made plane with Americans on board, I would say that qualifies for going down there to help.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SWA is gonna feel that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How would grounding all 787s prevented this 737 crash?
View Quote
ARFCOM : "OMG, I can't believe the reporter doesn't know the difference between an AR-15 and an AR-10! Idiots!"

Also ARFCOM : "Boeing 737 Max, 787, same difference."

Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#32]
It’s the airplane, not the airline as that’s one of the safest airlines in existence. Of course if that good would’ve done a we bit of research before asking that question.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
He said MOST, not all

RIF
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Ntxt
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#36]
RIP
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Something tells me there won't be a decent investigation into this.............https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82253/D1Swji_W0AAgLG0_png-872215.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

US citizens
US Airframe OEM
US Engine OEM

The NTSB will tell Ethiopia to fuck right off if need be. (not to mention countries like France who also had citizens on the plane)

Quoted:
I don't want to be too simplistic about it, but "unstable vertical speed after takeoff" sounds a lot like that thing with Lion Air.
Hard to tell but its certainly possible. I don't believe Boeing has put out an official fix yet.
Quoted:
I wonder how swa manages to fly these around and not crash them?

It’s a common airframe and in use here.  Just like the last one rtfm will probably be a factor.
Because airlines like American, Southwest, United, Air Canada etc. have quality training.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I flew on a 737 Max from San Antonio to Houston last year.  I feel like Boeing is squeezing blood from a turnip with these enhanced 737s (ETA - or is it the airlines that want these crazy things?).  The Embraer 175 I caught a ride on from Houston to Atlanta was much more comfortable and roomier than the 737 Max, with United Premium Economy seating on both.

How much longer before they start strapping passengers to the wings or have them stand up in the aisle, hanging on to poles like it's a fucking subway with the 737?  Hell, they oughta just do that, take all the seats out and you can probably fit like 350 people in one of those things.
View Quote
Thats all on the Airline.  The customer specs out the interiors of the airplanes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

SWA is gonna feel that.
View Quote
Southwest has received 31 of 280 ordered. United 12/136. American 22/100.

"As of January 2019, the Boeing 737 MAX has received 5,011 firm orders and delivered 350.[10] The 737 MAX 8 has been involved in two crashes as of March 2019.[11]"

Lists of customers and deliveries

"Background

In 2006, Boeing started considering the replacement of the 737 with a "clean-sheet" design that could follow the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.[12] In June 2010, a decision on this replacement was postponed into 2011.[13]

On December 1, 2010, Boeing's competitor, Airbus, launched the Airbus A320neo family to improve fuel burn and operating efficiency with new engines: the CFM International LEAP and Pratt & Whitney PW1000G.[14] In February 2011, Boeing's CEO Jim McNerney maintained "We're going to do a new airplane."[15] At the March 2011 ISTAT conference, BCA President James Albaugh was not sure about a 737 re-engine, like Boeing CFO James A. Bell stated at JP Morgan Aviation, Transportation and Defense conference the same month.[16] The A320neo gathered 667 commitments at the June 2011 Paris Air Show for a backlog of 1,029 units since its launch, setting an order record for a new commercial airliner.[17]

On July 20, 2011, American Airlines announced an order for 460 narrowbody jets including 130 A320ceos and 130 A320neos, and intended to order 100 re-engined 737s with CFM LEAPs, pending Boeing confirmation.[18] The order broke Boeing's monopoly with the airline and forced Boeing into a re-engined 737.[19] As this sale included a Most-Favoured-Customer Clause, Airbus has to refund any difference to American if it sells to another airline at a lower price, so the European manufacturer can not give a competitive price to competitor United Airlines, leaving it to a Boeing-skewed fleet.[20]"

So Boeing dicked around for 5 years about redesigning the 737, then got pushed into hanging the LEAP engines on a stretch 737NG. Doing so upset the inherent balance of the plane, so they had to add a software patch to make it flyable.

Man, have I seen clusters like this before.

They'll patch the software, but they're gonna take a hit. I'd expect cancelled orders to follow more grounding. Their stock should get hammered tomorrow.

I'll bet there are a bunch of former and current Boeing engineers saying "I tried to tell management..." right now.

Pity the bozos that made the call have likely retired by now. Life at the top: do anything to pump the stock, grab the bonuses and bail out. (McNerney, Albaugh and Bell all retired after the 737 Max was announced and before any were delivered)
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Twitter note:

Boeing has dropped plans to publicly unveil its newest plane, 777X on Wednesday afternoon given the questions swirling around the safety of the 737 MAX. The event, was to be the official debut of the 777X w/ CEO Dennie Muilenburg and other Boeing executives scheduled to talk.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Africa you say?
It’s a great Airline, would rather fly on it than most Asia, Africa, LATAM airlines.
Did I say most or all RIF
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not sure what "reports" you are talking about.  At this point, no one has any idea what happened to the Ethiopian airplane, and probably wont for a while.

It might be because of the MCAS system on the. MAX, or it might be aliens.  Either is just as likely at this point.

I'll probably fly a 737MAX several times this month, I'm not even a little worried about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what "reports" you are talking about.  At this point, no one has any idea what happened to the Ethiopian airplane, and probably wont for a while.

It might be because of the MCAS system on the. MAX, or it might be aliens.  Either is just as likely at this point.

Quoted:

My view at this point is that I would not travel on a SuperMax 737 for the near term.
I'll probably fly a 737MAX several times this month, I'm not even a little worried about it.
Well if you’re flying IAH to BOS this week I’ll be the passenger in First jerkin it under he blanket
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
If it is MCAS, you're experienced enough not to panic and have read the directives and calmly turn off MCAS and fly on.

The traveling public has zero idea if the pilot is 20,000 hours experience or someone who just got called up from the farm team to meet a shortage. Or in the case of international carriers, an ESL (english second language, since we're in acronym soup) or worse pilot.

Rightfully or not, it's spooked passengers and I would not be surprised to see a lot of them demanding to change to a different plane (time, carrier, etc), many with the blessings of their company.

Wait until Good Morning America runs a piece on it and gets the soccer moms spun up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone seen a picture of the landing gear or an engine? That's the most peculiar crash site ever.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:32:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do when they're in charge of the investigation. Wake up today to pics of an excavator digging through the wreckage. I have a feeling the NTSB wouldn't allow that.
Right now we're at the mercy of a foreign government to do the investigation, the same government that owns the airline.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#47]
[ANALYSIS] What we know about Ethiopian #ET302 accident

Ethiopian Airlines Flt 302 737-8 Max Crash 10 March 2019

http://avherald.com/h?comment=4c534c4a&opt=0
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
After TW800 and the 737 rudder hard overs, lets just say I pray there is a Union rep on the accident investigation.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

US citizens
US Airframe OEM
US Engine OEM

The NTSB will tell Ethiopia to fuck right off if need be. (not to mention countries like France who also had citizens on the plane)

Hard to tell but its certainly possible. I don't believe Boeing has put out an official fix yet.

Because airlines like American, Southwest, United, Air Canada etc. have quality training.
View Quote
Nope, we as in, the US Government will offer to help.

And if you think that Boeing wants the root cause to be a Boeing issue, you're insane.

Finally, hate to break it to you, but major airlines don't really "train" their pilots. By the time you get there, unless you're a special person, you know how to fly.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

FWIW, everyone of those you listed have lots of ex pats flying for them too (US, Canadian, Brits, Aussies).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Africa you say?

I've flown all three I listed, and find them all to be a excellent
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top