Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2001 1:18:08 PM EDT
Are these any good guys?  I am in the process of buying one and never had any experience with DPMS.  I have a preban already just want to know if DPMS is worth it, thanks in advance.

Max
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a Bushmaster, nor an Armalite.  DPMS is IMO a second line brand.  Better than Brand X, but definitely not top line, and the price should reflect this.  They seem to be more malfunction-prone, and generally 'looser' than Bushy.  Buy it only if the price is right.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Maxell,

I've talked to quite a few guys that build AR rifles for a living. Im not just talking cookie cutter AR's either. These guys specialize in building counter sniper, national match type AR rifles for law enforcement and distinguishing civilians. What I've heard time and time again is that Eagle Arms and DPMS make the best, most consistent, quality AR parts available hands down. Especially, when your talking PRE-BAN receivers. These guys have built rifles on every major and kno-name brand out there and recommended using those two brand names. Take it or leave it the choice is yours. Good luck with your rifle, O3 out!! [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a pre-ban DPMS that is very tight.  I am very please with it and would recommend them.  They are priced a little lower, but I wouldn't be too worried about quality.  Maybe they have a ban rep., but mine is a jem.

fuatos
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I think that DPMS must have gotten better as time went one cause I think they have a good rep now. I have read that they bought out Essential Arms, and that Ruger Investement cast both of these guys lowers.

I own both a pre ban DPMS, and an Essential Arms pre ban. The DPMS is the sloppiest lower I own. Though it functions fine, you can clearly see that where the lower meets up with the upper it is not straight, but is a wobbly line. This makes for an incredibally tight fit. Too tight.
I think DPMS has improved alot since they first started, and if I were building an accurized AR, would go with one of their uppers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
OK all you folk that have POS ARs, just send the parts you don't like to me. Also if you would, sweep your garage floor and send me the all the small parts you've lost in the past. I've been wanting to make an ugly AR 'mongrel' for quite some time.

Remember, only you can make this happen for me!
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]
read my post,,,,  My day at the range   talkes about DPMS
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll just say that I'm happy with my pre-ban DPMS lower.  Dependability was what I wanted and it hasn't let me down yet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#10]
This is another FWIIW story, but at the last guns show I was at, an older man was looking at one of the DPMS rifles at my table and was talking about back when Ruger"used to make the lowers"

I have heard this several times, and don't know if it is true. Anyway, he said that apparently one of the Ruger emoloyees dropped some of the tooling that was used in the process, and cranked out "out of spec" lowers for a few months before he finally confessed what he did and was fired.

Maybe this is where my screwed up pre ban lower came from, I don't know. It functions fine but is obviously out of spec.

Now DPMS forges their lowers too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top