Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2003 11:52:47 PM EDT
My review of the Coconut Grove gunshow. Going to this show has become a way for me to gauge the greediness during the holiday season.
Gun loving folks, atleast in my book, seem to posses an almost massochistic desire to rummage through these shows just hoping to find that one good deal. That pretty much sums up my lame attempt to dig up a treasure. As I shuffled along from table to table with my 2 year old daughter in tow, I had a specific mission. I was determined to find a used Remington 12 gauge shotty for a friend of mine from work. He also had his 2 year old girl with him. This was definitely a new experience for me.
I have not quit obsessing about AR15's and at every opportunity I ho-heartedly finger band any AR I come upon. But, today was different. Today I played the role of newbie. I spotted postban ARs without any kind of aftermarket acoutrements, selling for $1200 to $1400. Prebans were plentiful and probably attractive to people willing to pay $2000 for a bone stock preban. P.T Barnum was only hitting the tip of the iceberg.
I love the b/s some of these dealers come up with in order to make a sale. "Sure this Glock is used, but these pistols really retain their value."
"So, the cheapest I could let this pistol go for would be $550." $550 for a used third gen. G-17? WTF??? I stroll away chuckling to myself. Shortly thereafter, I came across a clear eyed young man about 17 years old who was trying to sell a SAR-1. He tells me its a Romanian military issue rifle, that's why they are asking $599. Funny guy! And my favorite one of the day. A 20 inch Rock River A2 post ban NIB for $1350. Once I saw the price tag, I had to hear the story behind this rifle. According to the guy this rifle once belonged to the old Chief of police for the Miami police Department. He allegedly used the rifle to win an inter-county police department shooting match for charity a few years back. That alone, I was told, was enough to double the price of the rifle. Talk about shock and awe!  
As my time ran out I had almost forgotten my mission. Just when the urge to run outta there screaming like my head was on fire, I stumbled onto an actual deal. A Remington model 31 12 gauge shotty for $135. I called my buddy over to get his thoughts on my find. This thing was absolutely cherry. The old man said he used the shotgun on his ranch to shoot doves for dinner every thanksgiving for over thirty years. The rest of the time it sat in the safe. My buddy was overjoyed at my discovery and gladly whipped out his wallet. I'm actually awake right now waiting for him to come over so we can hit the road. An if it takes all day to bag a hog, pig hunt. So wish us luck! If succesful, i'll see if Echo6 is home to snap off some pics and host them. A full report Sunday report should follw. I love gunshows like people love to gawk at a car accident during rush hour. It's the freak in me that drives me to these shows. If gunshows ever merged with the Jim Rose circus, i'd be in heaven.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I too love the stories some of the vendors come up with.  Imagine all those Navy Seals in one building....lucky me to be in such company. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I go to gunshows whenever I can get a chance, I say about 99% of stuff there is overpriced.  I always keep the cell phone there so I can call up my cousin or a friend to check what going rate on the net for something is if I already dont know it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:59:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Sure its worth 20k ! Man this is the very same gun Al Pacino used in heat its the truth [%|]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
rifle once belonged to the old Chief of police for the Miami police Department. He allegedly used the rifle to win an inter-county police department shooting match for charity a few years back.
View Quote

If it was Donald Warshaw, I wonder if it was the same charity he stole $70k from and did jail time for.

Might as well have been Al Capone's rifle then.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#6]
You need to schedule some vacation time around a real gun show to appreciate them. Try the Houston Gun Collectors Assn. show. Used to be at the Astrohall but now I think it is at the Reliant Center. Also for the mother of all shows head up to Tulsa twice a year for the Wannemacher show. You can do the Houston show in one long day but the Tulsa show takes two days. I'm serious, these shows are not to be missed. When up near Tulsa, head to Bartlesville to Woolaroc which is Frank Phillips (Phillips Petroleum) old ranch. Lots of neat stuff at the Indian Museum. Hugh gun collection. I like to schedule my vacation in advance to see this kinda stuff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
ETH got it right for Texas.  I like going to gun shops, but when I'm ready to buy anything with a serial number, I wait for the fun show.

The real joy, however, is the road trip from San Antonio to Houston with Da Boy (he's almost 9), meeting up with my uncle & cousin, endless gun browsing and stopping at favorite spots along the way home.

Of course, there are deals at the local fun shows, but they don't hold a candle to the HGCA show.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#8]
One day i'd like to attend a real gunshow. One where there aren't any beenie baby vendors or crystal statues. I like the beef jerky guy and the guy who sells only brass. I'd imagine the prices must skyrocket during the holiday season, but these people must have made a collaborative effort to price gouge. My 2 year old now recognizes Ar's if they are A2 uppers.
Hauling her around the show on my shoulders gave her the birds eye view. She sees daddy always caressing his carbine, hence the A2 recognition. I'm told that central Florida has some huge gunshows and I have plans to attend one around tax return time. I figure the bigger the show, the higher the concentration of freaks. Now you guys know just how much I love a good freak show.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The gun shows here-like Crossroads of the West-are immense and, actually, awesome. However, after attending quite a few I've come to the conclusion that all the SAME guys just show up to show their guns, not really sell them. There are FEW values, and 99% of the guys ARE NOT gonna budge on their prices. I DID, however, look at a DPMS 16 Lite that the shop owner offered to give me the "show" price in his shop. He did, and I bought it. Nowadays, I go there for targets, cleaning accessories and ammo. Those seem to be the only things that have advantageous prices. I haven't gone to one in over 3 years with the intention of buying a firearm.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I did stumble across a local dealer who carries Maxpedition rifle cases and backpacks.
Having had the opportunity to physically inspect Maxpedition's stuff, I can honestly say their stuff is overbuilt and that's a good thing! I've had my eye on this pack for a bug out bag, for a while now.
[img]www.maxpedition.com/catalog/full_jpg/p12.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That is so strange. Down here in Texas, the very best prices on anything, firearms, ammo, accessories, are always found at Gun Shows.

As a matter of fact, the most common thing you hear at gun shows, is folks saying 'This is my gun show price, back at the store it will be a bit higher.'

As a matter of fact, we do sell stuff for a lot more back ot our store. We're the only gun shop in town!

Oh, well.

Eric The(GunDealing)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Yes, yes yes yes yes yes.... BUT - this is TEXAS. Probably one of the last sane states left in the US.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The JERKY guy, some of the knifemakers selling their own stuff, SOME ammo dealers, and almost NO ONE Else dealing at the Grove show leaves their attitude home. And then a lot of them sit around and moan how they don't sell anything.
If I get to Texas, I PROMISE i'll look for a real gun show, cuz Texas aint comin' to Coconut Grove. BTW, HighStrung1...where are you in FL ?
Stay safe
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I went to the last couple of Ft. Lauderdale gun shows and the prices were crazy too. It did make me happy to hear vendors crying about not making any sales. When I heard three of them together bitching I couldn't resist jumping in. I told them how did they expect to sell guns at prices that were way over prices people could get anywhere. I also said people come to these things looking for good prices or good deals not to get ripped off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Davie. West of Ft. Lauderdale. The War Memorial Gunshows are a few steps up from the Grove show! I'm told the shows in N. Florida are much better. I'll attend a show up there sometime this spring. Hopefully it would coincide with an FDCC shoot. I'm dying to run the various courses these guys set up. They sure got their shit together up there!

Edited to add: Check out the Florida Hometown Forum and FDCC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top