Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 6:00:56 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a scope for the AR.  I usually use open sights cause i like them better, but i would like a nice small carry handle scope that I could put on when i feel the urge.  I dont want to spend much on it because i wont be using it very often.  But I dont want to throw my money away on a piece of junk either.  I really dont know much about scopes because i never use them, but here are the brands i was looking at. NCSTAR, Leapers, and BEC.  Any help, suggestions would be great, Thanks !

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
None of the above.  All chinese junk.

Some folks will tell you they work fine - hey, I got a BSA that "works fine" also, but it's not one I can depend on.

You've got a $700 rifle that deserves more than a $100 scope.

[s]But if that's your budget, how about [/s]

Sorry, I really couldn't come up with anything under $100 I'd recommend.  I'd rather spend that money on tritum iron sights.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The cheapest scope you could get that is worth anything at all is an ATN 5x33L. You can get them for under 200 bucks if you shop around.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Try to find a used fixed 4 power scope. From a quality name like Weaver, Burris, Leupold or Bausch & Lomb. Avoid Tasco, Bushnell, Simmons or any of the Chinese crap.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably not as small as you would like, but an older (70's-80's) Weaver K-4 Micro-Trac (non 60-B) is a cheap ($30-$80) scope that is all steel (very durable) and has decent glass. For the money, they are tough to beat if at all. My main problem with the chinese (ncstar, leapers, bec) scopes is that the reticle is too thick for decent accuracy even for a cheap scope, YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 6x VOMZ illuminated extreme duty scope that I purchased from Kalinka optics for $135.  It is built like a T-34 and I like the reticle in it.  It is heavy, though.  I could probably use it as a hammer.  It only pops up occasionally on their web site.
here's a pic:
[url]http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?collid=864923570103&photoid=896424670103&page=1&&refreshkey=1071895296293[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm with fightforyourrights. I would just use
the open sights before I would put pos glass on my rifle. If you cant afford real glass for a real gun save your money til you can, thats what us poooow foooks doooo. Note thats just me though, do what you want man because when I dress mine up I do it as if my life were on the line. (KNOW WHAT I MEAN VERN!!!!!!!!!!)
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I apreciate all the advise.  Its not that I cant aford an expensive scope, i just wouldnt use it enough to justify spending that much money.  I would just as soon buy another firearm.  So lets ditch the under 100$ thing.  What compact scope would you put on your AR ?

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait just a minute!  If you want a scope for the hell of it, buy one of the cheap ones.  I know they aren't parallax free or fog proof.  Who cares.  You will still shoot better at 100 yards with a cheap 4x scope than you would with open sights.

I am in a very similar circumstance myself.  I have an A2 which I love.  However, the indoor range I go to is dark... so dark that open sights don't work well because they are hard to see.  I have bought more guns this year than I care to discuss.  My wife has been awesome about that.  I don't want to push matters by getting an expensive scope right now.  so I bought a NcStar illuminated scope for $50 on eBay.  It works very well.  I can shoot 1 MOA with it on the rifle now.  I don't know how well it holds zero when taking it on and off the carry handle because I haven't done it.  I will do that in the spring when I go outside again.  For now, I am happy. Are the optics a little dark?  Yes.  But they are pretty good.  Better than my eyes.  I will probably turn around and sell it on ebay again when I learn more about AR optics and upgrade.  So who cares?  No harm, no foul.  People get uptight about optics.  Are no optics better than lesser quality optics?  I don't think so.  Are high-end optics the better choice.  Of course.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If you go used, you can pick up a Leupold XII 2X7 for $125 to $170.  This is a very good magnification range for a handy rifle, although it's bigger than the compact scope format you seem to be interested in.

Decide what you want to spend.  It's hard to go wrong with Leupolds of any sort in terms of factory support and durability.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
A2 Irons on carry handle if you have a flattop

Otherwise, existing irons.  Anything under $100 is gonna be more pain than an ex-wife.

Good scope under $200:  ATN 5x33, compact, fits on carry handle, and rather indestructable.  Illuminated reticle, ranging.

DO NOT GET VARIABLE POWER ATN!  Just the 5x33
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:33:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Pentax makes a nice compact scope.  I got one on sale a few years ago at 50% off at a clearance sale.  Was about $100.  I don't see them too often but they are still around.  I've been pleased with mine.

Don't forget with a compact you trade off light gathering for size.    But that only makes a big  difference in twilight and at higher powers.

I dunno about used scopes. I always wonder why the guy got rid of it. Unless you know who had it and why.  If they traded up or ???  Maybe they just wanted a different reticle, then you might make a great deal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:03:51 AM EDT
[#14]
try to find a used Colt 3x or 4x....or... have u considered getting a red dot?I have an almost new 4x Colt that i dont use much. I prefer my Comp XD red dot.
If youd like my 4x20 colt scope, drop me an IM.
its just like this one [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3642076607&category=36258[/url]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I use a BSA red dot scope that cost $40 at a gun show.  It works great.  No reason not to use one.

Here it is:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20201[/img]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#16]
How about this [url=]http://www.riflescopes.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=321040M[/url]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I apreciate all the advise.  Its not that I cant aford an expensive scope, i just wouldnt use it enough to justify spending that much money.  I would just as soon buy another firearm.  So lets ditch the under 100$ thing.  What compact scope would you put on your AR ?

-Ben
View Quote

Oh, it just depends what you want to do with it.

I LOVE my Trijicon Compact ACOG.

I also really like my Trijicon Reflex II and my OKO - both red dot type of sights.

My IOR Valdada 4x looks like it's a fantastic scope, I just haven't gotten her to the range yet.

Some scope reviews -

[url]www.pa-ar15.com[/url]

[url]www.ma-ar15.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top